Pop Talk - General Music Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by InFamous View Post

It's as meaningful as the B But CrITiCaL AcClAiM thing certain people fixate her on a daily basis
    but we also have Grammys, hits and strihms
    BEAUTY IS A MUST, TALENT IS A PLUS
    98 - OUT

Comment

• Originally posted by theMathematician View Post
      So you consider an album a flop when an album's released with big expectations and the album still only charts for a few weeks? You mentioned Toni Braxton and Brandy - not sure whether there have been major expectations for their albums.
      I mean “Smile” charted for 3-4 weeks on the Billboard 200 while “Glory” charted for 8 weeks.

Flops.
      Rock lives forever: Led Zeppelin . Metallica . Pink Floyd . Nirvana . Radiohead . Pearl Jam . Oasis . Iron Maiden . Nine Inch Nails
      Approved Popstars: Michael Jackson . Madonna . Britney Spears . Beyoncé . Rihanna

Comment

• Originally posted by aRat View Post

Grammys, critical acclaim, hits, longevity, anti-fad tendency, global non-local success. Etc
        Rock lives forever: Led Zeppelin . Metallica . Pink Floyd . Nirvana . Radiohead . Pearl Jam . Oasis . Iron Maiden . Nine Inch Nails
        Approved Popstars: Michael Jackson . Madonna . Britney Spears . Beyoncé . Rihanna

Comment

• The way Covid prolly has ended Touring for good

Poor certain 98 - OUT stans who have nothing to brag about now
          98 - OUT

Comment

• For veteran artists, a commercial bomb for me could mean:
            less than 50-100m streams on Spotify (after one year of album release)
            in the main market, the album did not enter the top 10
            nobody cared about it

Such an example is the newest album by Toni Braxton, unfortunately. If this album gets a Grammy nomination, I will remove it from this list, because I believe that this award adds to the album (as a whole) attractiveness. Pink (of her peers) is the best commercially, but the worst quality (in my opinion). Quality> quantity

But if the album were to be dope, my fav could sell zero copies. I dont care.
            Xtina/Snoh ​​Aalegra/Rihanna/Lauren Hill/Rosalía/Nina Simone/Patti Smith/Kali Uchis

Comment

So you consider an album a flop when an album's released with big expectations and the album still only charts for a few weeks? You mentioned Toni Braxton and Brandy - not sure whether there have been major expectations for their albums.
              I never said there was major expectation for either Toni Braxton or Brandy. There hasn't been much hype about a Toni release in years, but she alwats made the top 20 regardless. This time she entered at 136 or something and disappeared without trace. A whole flop.

You are trying , as usual, to box what I said into one thing and it is not like that. What is a flop for one artist is a success for another.

Comment

Smile's chartrun has nothing to do with Glory. What is considered a flop depends on where an artist is in her career and what they should realistically achieve. For me Witness is far more of a flop than Smile, because of where Katy was in her career and the expectations that were there when the album was released. Same for Britney, the way Glory performed for a star of her magnitude in 2016 was shocking. The fact that you are coming back and comparing it's chartrun to Smile shows that you completely missed the point unfortunately.
                Witness was just an underperformance since it had a real hit with Chained To Dr Luke and 2 other minor hits with Bon ApeTIT and Swish Swish.

Clown however is a definitive BOMB
                98 - OUT

Comment

• IMO .. For a big veteran artist any album below 200million streams (after a year of release) is a massive flop.

Comment

• Who cares about touring revenue when you're clothing line is selling like hot cakes. It's the girls relying on streams that's suffering

Comment

Gurl no one cares about those dance Grammys lol, most people don't even know they exist .

Comment

What is a flop for one artist is a success for another.
                        That is correct. For some artists, making the chart is already a big sucess (see the artist in my avatar). However, there has to be some kind of definition when to use the word 'flop' and when not and if there is not a universal one, there at least has to be a personal one you, as in InFamous, go by when you label an album a 'flop' or say that one is not one.

Comment

• Originally posted by MrLeonix View Post

Grammys, critical acclaim, hits, longevity, anti-fad tendency, global non-local success. Etc
                          Beauty, sex appeal and cool factor too

98 - OUT

Comment

• I smell a onlyfans coming

Comment

• Originally posted by Aaronsmithjune1 View Post
                              Who cares about touring revenue when you're clothing line is selling like hot cakes. It's the girls relying on streams that's suffering
                              You switched to stanning Rih now? Good choice

98 - OUT

Comment

.. In addition of improving and growing as an artist with each album / era.

Comment

That is correct. For some artists, making the chart is already a big sucess (see the artist in my avatar). However, there has to be some kind of definition when to use the word 'flop' and when not and if there is not a universal one, there at least has to be a personal one you, as in InFamous, go by when you label an album a 'flop' or say that one is not one.
                                  No there doesnt. I can think what I think and everyone else can think what they think. And what I think depends on specific situations, context etc. I don't have a problem with people seeing things differently to me, nor do I feel the need to box people's opinions or feelings on something into Box A or Box B or tell them no, you must see it like I see it. I'm just openminded and accepting like that. Try it, it's very liberating.

Comment

Gurl no one cares about those dance Grammys lol, most people don't even know they exist .
                                    But yeah ofc know that Metacritic's most discussed albums of 2020 list exists

Also Dua's team was smart to present her as the "Two times Grammy winner" everywhere People know that homegurl has acclaim
                                    98 - OUT

Comment

How is Haus Labs doing ? I haven't heard anything about that venture in ages.

Comment

Also Dua's team was smart to present her as the "Two times Grammy winner" everywhere People know that homegurl has acclaim
                                        LOL I have never seen her being presented as this even once, but I have to admit I don't really follow her. I remember the first day you told me she had two grammys and I was like no way. For WHAT. lol. Then i remember googling and i was like, oh dance recordings. IT was such a disappointment.

Comment

Everyone knows Dua is a Grammy winning artist.

Grammy-winning artists are presented / introduced as such in articles, gigs and public appearances.

Comment

No there doesnt. I can think what I think and everyone else can think what they think. And what I think depends on specific situations, context etc. I don't have a problem with people seeing things differently to me, nor do I feel the need to box people's opinions or feelings on something into Box A or Box B or tell them no, you must see it like I see it. I'm just openminded and accepting like that. Try it, it's very liberating.
                                            Well, that's cool, I guess. I've stopped using the subjective label 'flop' a while ago because in my early days, there used to be pages of discussions on why an album is or is not a flop. These days, I simply provide the numbers and let them speak for itself. I however still use the term 'success' for albums with outstanding chart performances because... well, no one's going to disagree that an album breaking personal or even all-time records could be considered a 'sucess' .

Comment

How is Haus Labs doing ? I haven't heard anything about that venture in ages.
                                              Served OUT - OUT just like 911

98 - OUT

Comment

You switched to stanning Rih now? Good choice

Jealousy is the ugliest trait

Comment

shouldn't you be spamming Xmas Song now? It's that time of the year again sadly
                                                  Xmas GOAT has already hit #1 in your hole. Now I’m focused on GOAT or Emancipation of Maria getting that prestigious gold certification in your hole.
                                                  Originally posted by beredy
                                                  When people see your post this is what they see:

GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT.

Comment

• People fixating on one platform are not seeing the whole picture, there are many platforms which exist. Spotify is not the only metric that counts streams.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X