Pop Talk - General Music Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by theMathematician View Post
    You didn't know her half a year ago, but you could've checked her out when I mentioned her on the forum a couple of times recently. I'm sure you didn't check out any Steve Grand song despite me having mentioned him earlier as well.
    Any examples of artists reaching mainstream attention with a late single? What about Lizzo? There are Doja Cat and Twenty One Pilots. Or maybe Billie Eilish? The latter had internet hype with the EP and the first few singles, but she reached mainstream attention with 'Bad Guy'.
    Why would I check out random names of random unknown people you mention lol
    Miss Delange and her country rock can remain unknown.

You specifically said unknown artists. You are doing the usual Timmy thing of claiming something, then changing what you said later to try and make it fit.

Doja's first single from Hot Pink was a hit in the US and went platinum so she was far from "unknown" when Say so was released.
    Trying to use Billie Eilish to fit that example is delusional as she had a huge following long before bad guy. Bad guy exploded yes but she was in no way unknown before that and her other singles had huge streaming numbers and had been hits.
    21 pilots had a multi platinum album in the US back in 2013 so again no, Stressed out was their first breakthrough single but that is very normal for bands in the US to sell albums but not singles as much so again doesn't really work as they were in no way "unknown" prior to that.
    Also when Lizzo released the single that was successful she was not at all "unknown " as she had a huge audience via American Idol and in fact Good as hell was her first single not her fourth.

So in summary, neither Lizzo, 21 pilots, Doja or Billie Eilish fit in any way into your stated criteria of " a previously unknown artist who released a fourth or late single from an era and changed the game. That would be like trying to claim that Harry Styles was unknown before Watermelon sugar took off. Nah.
    Last edited by InFamous; Thu November 12, 2020, 19:30.

Comment

• Xmas Goat (album) was spinned 1,604,948 times yesterday. Not everybody can relate.
      My Chart

Comment

• @InFamous: Thanks for your reply and comment regarding all the artists I mentioned.

Comment

• Originally posted by stevyy View Post
          Xmas Goat (album) was spinned 1,604,948 times yesterday. Not everybody can relate.
          How many of those streams came from All I want for Christmas is you ?

Comment

• Originally posted by InFamous View Post

How many of those streams came from All I want for Christmas is you ?
            100%?
            My Chart

Comment

• NEW #98 Beyonce - Spirit

OUT Beyonce - Spirit (1 week)

BEAUTY IS A MUST, TALENT IS A PLUS
              98 - OUT

Comment

• I don't understand why Little Mix still exist and who on earth is listening to them.

The worst girl group ... ever?

98 - OUT

Comment

• NEW #37 Beyonce - Black Parade

OUT Beyonce - Black Parade (1 week)

Comment

• NEW #30 Dua Lipa - Don't Start Now

OUT Dua Lipa - Don't Start Now (52 weeks)

98 - OUT

Comment

• You could technically do that to Xmas GOAT too.
                      Originally posted by beredy
                      When people see your post this is what they see:

GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT.

Comment

• Originally posted by aRat View Post
                        NEW #30 Dua Lipa - Don't Start Now

OUT Dua Lipa - Don't Start Now (52 weeks)

More like 52,000 dollars.

GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT.

Comment

• It's too bad Black Parade didn't get any higher than that. I thought it sounded great. So many songs came out around that time in reference to BLM, but quite a few were downbeat. Hers was joyous.

Hopefully Rih will give you music to stir your soul next year.

Comment

I don't understand why Little Mix still exist and who on earth is listening to them.

The worst girl group ... ever?

+1. apparently, the UK is obsessed. Ever since Miss Beckham and her backups... they are on a quest to find the next girl group... despite it being clear:

girls only listen to boyband
                            gays only lust for boybands

and nobody... even knows what a girl group is.
                            My Chart

Comment

• Originally posted by Goldmoney View Post
                              You could technically do that to Xmas GOAT too.
                              Maria Carey - With You - OUT - OUT
                              Maria Carey - A No No (Hit) - OUT - OUT
                              Maria Carey - GTFO (The Charts) - OUT - OUT
                              Maria Carey - The Distance (To The Hot 100) - OUT - OUT

98 - OUT

Comment

Maria Carey - With You - OUT - OUT
                                Maria Carey - A No No - OUT - OUT
                                Maria Carey - GTFO - OUT - OUT
                                Maria Carey - The Distance (To The Hot 100) - OUT - OUT

wait till your herpa is on her 15th studio alberm. Commercial death comes for everyone. Talent-free acts such a Miss Lumpa only last for 2 - 3 eras. So, she's basically running out of time.
                                My Chart

Comment

+1. apparently, the UK is obsessed. Ever since Miss Beckham and her backups... they are on a quest to find the next girl group... despite it being clear:

girls only listen to boyband
                                  gays only lust for boybands

and nobody... even knows what a girl group is.
                                  Sugababes and Monrose are the last good girlgroups I fear. Everything after that could have been kept.

98 - OUT

Comment

• Originally posted by Rihab View Post
                                    NEW #37 Beyonce - Black Parade

OUT Beyonce - Black Parade (1 week)

WRONG again. The solo Top 40 charity only single. Charted for two weeks
                                    aRat's NUDES LEAKED

Comment

• Omg, how many of these does she have?

NEW #76 Beyonce - Brown Skin Girl

OUT Beyonce - Brown Skin Girl (1 week)

Comment

• SECOND alberms comparisons:

Merrier:
                                        #1 x 3 - 20 weeks - 1xP - Emotionals (5th consecutive #1)
                                        #2 - 20 weeks - Can't Beef Go
                                        #5 - 20 weeks - Make It Fried

Dumper:
                                        #2 - Don't Play this Now
                                        #60 - Literal & Physical Floppage
                                        #13 - Broken my ability to score hit songs
                                        #29 - Levitating over flops

oops & hoppla.
                                        My Chart

Comment

Sugababes and Monrose are the last good girlgroups I fear. Everything after that could have been kept.
                                          No & No. Sugaplums had like 1-2 listenable song (the best one being their debut single).

& Monrose was trash² from the get go... like all female acts from Germany... except Miss Connor.
                                          My Chart

Comment

• Ironically the two artists y’all are mocking are the only two artists in history to have a #1 hit in four consecutive decades. Only The King and Kween!

Comment

• Originally posted by cheapthrills View Post
                                              It's too bad Black Parade didn't get any higher than that. I thought it sounded great. So many songs came out around that time in reference to BLM, but quite a few were downbeat. Hers was joyous.

Hopefully Rih will give you music to stir your soul next year.
                                              Already King would have pulled a 44 - 29 - 18 - 9 - 3 - 1 -....- 52 - OUT (31 weeks) if released instead.
                                              98 - OUT

Comment

• Originally posted by Goldmoney View Post
                                                Ironically the two artists y’all are mocking are the only two artists in history to have a #1 hit in four consecutive decades. Only The King and Kween!
                                                Merrier made it solo tho.

solo as in... not being relegated to a hook gurl for 3 secs.
                                                My Chart

Comment

& Monrose was trash² from the get go... like all female acts from Germany... except Miss Connor.
                                                  Nnn kinda tea tho. Miss Connor and Monrose are the only listenable female acts our hole has produced.
                                                  98 - OUT

Comment

Nnn kinda tea tho. Miss Connor and Monrose are the only listenable female acts our hole has produced.
                                                    But Miss Connor only since she is singing in that agressive teutonic language that nobody understands.

No Angels were better than Monrose.
                                                    My Chart

Comment

Working...
                                                    X