Pop Talk - General Music Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by nympho View Post

But it’s not fair at all comparing Madame X streams to Golden as you know that without Maluma and Anitta it wouldn’t have 165M...
    I think that’s an unfair assumption.

Madonna and Maluma have 2 songs on Madame X, and the 2nd song - Bitch I’m Loca - only has 6 million streams. Yet Medellin has 53 million. BIM is in line with the rest of the albums tracks, so insinuating that Maluma is the reason Medellin has 53 million streams is incorrect. It’s a Madonna lead single and was always destined to get big streaming numbers - and her first lead single truly in the streaming era. Additionally Faz Gostoso is a cover of a popular 2018 hit and the first time Madonna has sung in Brazilian Portuguese, and she is incredibly popular in Brazil.

Im not saying Maluma and Anitta didn’t bring an audience, but it’s short sighted to think they are the reasons those two songs were streaming successes.
    “I shouldn’t be in a conservatorship if I can work and provide money and work for myself and pay other people — it makes no sense”

#FreeBritney

Comment

• Kylie also pushed non-stop and like crazy one of Golden’s singles featuring Gente De Zona anyways.
      Last edited by MrLeonix; Sun November 15, 2020, 20:04.
      Rock lives forever: Led Zeppelin . Metallica . Pink Floyd . Nirvana . Radiohead . Pearl Jam . Oasis . Iron Maiden . Nine Inch Nails
      Approved Popstars: Michael Jackson . Madonna . Britney Spears . Beyoncé . Rihanna

Comment

• Originally posted by MrLeonix View Post
        Kylie also pushed like crazy one of Golden’s singles featuring Gente De Zona anyways.
        She didn’t, not really. There was a video of the solo version out first, and the remix and remix video were released after the album had dropped, so it was all game over anyway - like it is for anything other than a lead single for legend acts.

“I shouldn’t be in a conservatorship if I can work and provide money and work for myself and pay other people — it makes no sense”

#FreeBritney

Comment

• Originally posted by menime123 View Post

I think that’s an unfair assumption.

Madonna and Maluma have 2 songs on Madame X, and the 2nd song - Bitch I’m Loca - only has 6 million streams. Yet Medellin has 53 million. BIM is in line with the rest of the albums tracks, so insinuating that Maluma is the reason Medellin has 53 million streams is incorrect. It’s a Madonna lead single and was always destined to get big streaming numbers - and her first lead single truly in the streaming era. Additionally Faz Gostoso is a cover of a popular 2018 hit and the first time Madonna has sung in Brazilian Portuguese, and she is incredibly popular in Brazil.

Im not saying Maluma and Anitta didn’t bring an audience, but it’s short sighted to think they are the reasons those two songs were streaming successes.
          The other Maluma song, Bitch I’m loca, was not playlisted anywhere cause it was not a single.

Medellin was playlisted in many Latin playlists that were actually the main source for its streams.

Faz Gostoso was playlisted for months (literally) in Brazilian two biggest Spotify playlists.

(You can check all this in spotontrack, for example).

So no, it’s not an assumption, it’s a fact that those two songs had playlists support on Spotify on Latin and Brazilian playlists because of the artists featured. I doubt a solo Madonna song, even if a cover of a Brazilian hit, would have been playlisted without Anitta... And definitely Medellin wouldn’t have been on Latin playlists without Maluma.

If a solo Madonna single would have made 53M streams anyway... we’ll never know.

Comment

• Don't like 50% of Chromarica strihms come from the Ariana collab?
            BEAUTY IS A MUST, TALENT IS A PLUS
            98 - OUT

Comment

• Originally posted by aRat View Post
              Don't like 50% of Chromarica strihms come from the Ariana collab?
              No.
              37%.

The difference is I recognize Ariana played a big part on the song’s success...

Comment

• “Medellin” was really bad as a lead single anyways ... Madonna set herself for failure by presenting herself with such uneventful song. I still remember how disappointed I was when I first listened to it. The song isn’t bad itself, I think it works as an album track but lead single? No way!

Last time she released an exciting, hard hitting and thrilling lead single was “4 Minutes” ..... “Give Me All Your Luvin” was fun but subpar for Madonna, “Living For Love” was forgettable and “Medellin” was a non-event.
                Rock lives forever: Led Zeppelin . Metallica . Pink Floyd . Nirvana . Radiohead . Pearl Jam . Oasis . Iron Maiden . Nine Inch Nails
                Approved Popstars: Michael Jackson . Madonna . Britney Spears . Beyoncé . Rihanna

Comment

• Originally posted by likeidogoldlink View Post

It's actually a bit sad that her hits have 10m streams as pop royalty. I mean, she doesn't have any songs above 100m of streams in 2020. Nobody expects all of her songs to have good stats, but at least one song... Kylie will have 2 songs over 100m (by the end of the year).
                  Look it is not all about streaming or streaming stats today. Janet IS largely forgotten now or else her fans don't stream i dont know but she was HUGE at her peak in the US. She was bigger than Whitney at that particular time in the late 80's. She had 7 top 10 singles from her Rhythm Nation album over 89 and 90. Just because she has bad streaming stats today does not negate her career from her peak. Like I'm not even a Janet fan but trying to claim she was not massive at that particular time in the US is pointless.
                  Zero tolerance for : bigotry, racism, wilful ignorance.
                  Pronouns: He / Him

Comment

• Originally posted by InFamous View Post
                    Just because she has bad streaming stats today does not negate her career from her peak. Like I'm not even a Janet fan but trying to claim she was not massive at that particular time in the US is pointless.
                    Pro: freedom of speech
                    Contra: cancel culture

Comment

• I actually liked Medellin but it was 1, far too long for a single and 2, the chorus was weak as hell.

Comment

Look it is not all about streaming or streaming stats today.
                        Wrong
                        98 - OUT

Comment

Wrong
                          Nah, I'm not wrong you are just shortsighted. An artist from the past can have 1, poor recurrent streams but 2, still have been a huge success at his or her peak.
                          If you cannot see that both of those things can exist concurrently, not my problem.

Comment

Don't like 50% of Chromarica strihms come from the Ariana collab?
                            Sour candy & rain on me probably does

Comment

No.
                              37%.

The difference is I recognize Ariana played a big part on the song’s success...
                              I am glad that you can admit that Ariana and Blackpink saved the era... just like how Bardley saved ASIB
                              98 - OUT

Comment

Nah, I'm not wrong you are just shortsighted. An artist from the past can have 1, poor recurrent streams but 2, still have been a huge success at his or her peak.
                                If you cannot see that both of those things can exist concurrently, not my problem.
                                The key word is today. Jeannette may have sold some local albums once upon a time but that doesn't change the fact that album sales or sales in general are irrelevant today
                                98 - OUT

Comment

I am glad that you can admit that Ariana and Blackpink saved the era... just like how Bardley saved ASIB
                                  Other eras are saved by radio and Spotify payola...

Stupid Love is a solo song that was top 5 and top 10 everywhere and has more streams than Sour Candy.

The obsession to bring Gaga in a Kylie vs Madonna streams conversation just to troll and bait...

Comment

• Originally posted by Aaronsmithjune1 View Post

Sour candy & rain on me probably does
                                    It certainly wasn't the solo smashes Stupid Luv and 911
                                    98 - OUT

Comment

• None of today's pop girls comes to Janet's success in US. They can't even score 4 top 10 singles in US from an album let alone 7
                                      Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

• Originally posted by spiritboy View Post
                                        None of today's pop girls comes to Janet's success in US. They can't even score 4 top 10 singles in US from an album let alone 7
                                        This.

Janet is and will always be a legend whatever her current streams.

Comment

Other eras are saved by radio and Spotify payola...

Stupid Love is a solo song that was top 5 and top 10 everywhere and has more streams than Sour Candy.

The obsession to bring Gaga in a Kylie vs Madonna streams conversation just to troll and bait...
                                          Some others can't take off or have longevity even with the strihming and radio payola.

The topic of conversation changes all the time in here babygorl.

98 - OUT

Comment

The key word is today. Jeannette may have sold some local albums once upon a time but that doesn't change the fact that album sales or sales in general are irrelevant today
                                            Janet wasn’t local lol

Comment

Some others can't take off or have longevity even with the strihming and radio payola.

The topic of conversation changes all the time in here babygorl.
                                              Fact is ROM never had a radio deal... and it’s still top 100 on Spotify global 6 months after release despite being removed from Today’s Top Hits months ago...
                                              You can still pretend it started free falling from week 2...

Not here to waste my time with your creepy obsession and childish behaviour to bring Gaga every time I post in here.

And you don’t call me babygorl again.

Comment

None of today's pop girls comes to Janet's success in US. They can't even score 4 top 10 singles in US from an album let alone 7
                                                Ok and Janet prolly doesn't have 7 top 10s overall in many countries that aren't the US.

Some fromer stars are global after all and not forgotten so they still managed to have good strihming numbers
                                                98 - OUT

Comment

Truth to be told, many of today's pop girls don't even try to score 7 top 10 singles - they don't seem to be as dedicated regarding the vision of their era as Jackson has been of hers back then.
                                                  Pro: freedom of speech
                                                  Contra: cancel culture

Comment

• Originally posted by Enzolorenzo View Post

Janet wasn’t local lol
                                                    She wasn’t local but she was definitely out of proportion when it came to her US stats vs her international stats.

She even has several albums that had like 75% of their success and numbers coming from US (this is the case of very famous albums like “Control” and “Rhythm Nation”).

This isn’t a bad thing and it doesn’t mean she didn’t enjoy of popularity in other territories. But USA was where she truly slayed to historic levels.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X