Pop Talk - General Music Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by spiritboy View Post
    I enjoy Ava's music, she's serving bops. Pop music doesn't have to be innovative or deep, it can be basic and generic and still be good.
    Yep. Most of her singles have been great pop songs, tbh.
    But the thing with Ava Max is her entire career is based on radio payola...

This week "Kings & Queens" is #15 on Billboard Hot 100...
    #4 on Radio Songs.
    Not Top 200 on Spotify or Apple Music US.
    Is that really a hit based on people's consumption?

In my country K & Q has been #1 on Airplay several weeks... yet, its peak on the official singles chart is only #74.
    Other previous singles of hers were Top 10 airplay hits and didn't even chart.
    I've read it's like that in other countries as well... she's THE radio darling.

Her new song released yesterday is not even Top 200 on Spotify today. No fanbase.
    If it has playlist support, it could become a hit as well.

But, so far, it proves just once again that she's one of those artists, specially female pop girls, that have "hit" songs because of heavy radio airplay or playlists support but people usually know the songs, not them. They will not pay for their music or for their shows...
    And once that payola support is gone... who know where her career will go.

Comment

• Originally posted by theMathematician View Post
      Sweet But Psycho - 5/10
      So Am I - 5/10
      Torn - 5/10
      Salt - 5/10
      Kings & Queens - 5/10
      Who's Laughing Now - 5/10
      My Head & My Heart - 5/10

Does anyone feel the same about those songs :/ ?
      Best new singer of the last few years. All songs are so catchy. Love them:

Sweet But Psycho - 6/10
      So Am I - 8/10
      Torn - 10/10
      Salt - 10/10
      Alone, Pt. II - 9/10
      Kings & Queens - 10/10
      Who's Laughing Now - 8/10
      OMG What's Happening - 8/10
      Naked - 8/10
      My Head & My Heart - 8/10
      My Instagram... - Click here

Comment

• @RayRay: Cool to know that you think differently about her songs . I forgot to include 'Alone II' as she's just a feature on it, but it's actually my favorite among songs with her participation - at least a 7/10 for me .
        Is it offensive to fall in love with you and everything you do
        and everything you stand for?
        Could I break through your invisible wall, could I hide my pride for once,
        just to tell you that I see more?

Comment

• I really like " Salt", " So Am I" and "Kings and Queens" I wouldn't listen to a full album together but I do enjoy those songs when they come on shuffle.

Ava is a pop star who can also actually sing her songs live and mix up the arrangement. That is refreshing to me and a nice departure from the "studio pop singers" of years gone by. Ava is a very strong live singer.

Love this stripped back arrangement of Kings & Queens

Comment

@RayRay: Cool to know that you think differently about her songs . I forgot to include 'Alone II' as she's just a feature on it, but it's actually my favorite among songs with her participation - at least a 7/10 for me .
            It was a big hit here, so I thought it should be included. Also, it's not like she is featured singing just a few lines. Without her, there wouldn't be this song.
            My Instagram... - Click here

Comment

• Ava is the new Katy Perry. Both are one dimensional one trick ponies.
              BEAUTY IS A MUST, TALENT IS A PLUS
              98 - OUT

Comment

• I feel so sorry for the Americans that this songs were not a smash hits in their country.
                Xtina/Snoh ​​Aalegra/Rihanna/Lauren Hill/Rosalía/Nina Simone/Patti Smith

Comment

• Originally posted by nympho View Post

#4 on Radio Songs.

I was wondering how it suddenly had appeared in the top 20

It is actually amazing how a couple of cheques to the right people can change the trajectory of a song.
                  Dua benefits so much from this also.

Comment

• Originally posted by nympho View Post

#4 on Radio Songs.

In my country K & Q has been #1 on Airplay several weeks... yet, its peak on the official singles chart is only #74.
                    Other previous singles of hers were Top 10 airplay hits and didn't even chart.
                    I've read it's like that in other countries as well... she's THE radio darling.

Her new song released yesterday is not even Top 200 on Spotify today. No fanbase.
                    If it has playlist support, it could become a hit as well.

But, so far, it proves just once again that she's one of those artists, specially female pop girls, that have "hit" songs because of heavy radio airplay or playlists support but people usually know the songs, not them. They will not pay for their music or for their shows...
                    And once that payola support is gone... who know where her career will go.
                    Please yall overblow this whole payola thing too much. As if her label is sending cheques to every radio station that exists for a new artist like Ava who barely makes any profit. It's just that her songs are easy & digestible pop and she has a good voice so radios can and will play her stuff over and over again.
                    98 - OUT

Comment

• Originally posted by InFamous View Post

It is actually amazing how a couple of cheques to the right people can change the trajectory of a song.
                      Dua benefits so much from this also.
                      Yeah show me those receipts then. You better have screenshots of those payola cheques
                      98 - OUT

Comment

• Herpayola
                        Originally posted by beredy
                        When people see your post this is what they see:

GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT.

Comment

• I actually agree with aRat here. Radio stations play Max' or Lipa's songs because they are catchy and, indeed 'easy & digestible', not (primarily) because of payola.

Speaking of Dua Lipa's songs, I'd rank her current era's German singles like that:
                          - Don't Start Now 6/10
                          - Physical 6/10
                          - Break My Heart 8/10
                          - Hallucinate 7/10
                          Is it offensive to fall in love with you and everything you do
                          and everything you stand for?
                          Could I break through your invisible wall, could I hide my pride for once,
                          just to tell you that I see more?

Comment

• Ari needs to push her own Christmas song, this is such a fun song and she literally ignores its existence. It did really well in Uk last year.

Santa Tell Me

Comment

I actually agree with aRat here. Radio stations play Max' or Lipa's songs because they are catchy and, indeed 'easy & digestible', not (primarily) because of payola.

Speaking of Dua Lipa's songs, I'd rank the German singles like that:
                              - Don't Start Now 6/10
                              - Physical 6/10
                              - Break My Heart 8/10
                              - Hallucinate 7/10
                              LOL y'all really have no idea what goes on behind the scenes. And stevyy claimed Ava is never played.

Comment

• Originally posted by aRat View Post

Yeah show me those receipts then. You better have screenshots of those payola cheques
                                I know for a fact that Dua's team can mess with Spotify and private downloaded playlists even in OFFLINE mode. I was recently a victim of such a scam. Of course I informed Billboard and the UK charts company immediately.

Comment

• - Don't Start Now 9/10
                                  - Physical 20/10
                                  - Break My Heart 10/10
                                  - Hallucinate 8/10

Comment

LOL y'all really have no idea what goes on behind the scenes. And stevyy claimed Ava is never played.
                                    i've literally never heard her or anyone mention her. she is one of those acts that online exist on pop forums and there is only mentioned when the conversation turns to unknown act someone should check out.

My Chart

Comment

• Originally posted by stevyy View Post

i've literally never heard her or anyone mention her. she is one of those acts that online exist on pop forums and there is only mentioned when the conversation turns to unknown act someone should check out.
                                      Similar to that Ella Mai person who had her two pages of fame last week. In stevyy I trust

Comment

• Originally posted by stevyy View Post

The same could be said about Maria tho

At least with Madonna people still LOVE to trash talk her every move
                                        98 - OUT

Comment

I know for a fact that Dua's team can mess with Spotify and private downloaded playlists even in OFFLINE mode. I was recently a victim of such a scam. Of course I informed Billboard and the UK charts company immediately.
                                          Pls if Dua's team were so into payola then they would have made sure that DSN went #1 or BMH went to top 10 and not let them miss those achievements by a few chart points
                                          98 - OUT

Comment

• Originally posted by likeidogoldlink View Post
                                            - Don't Start Now 9/10
                                            - Physical 20/10
                                            - Break My Heart 10/10
                                            - Hallucinate 8/10
                                            - Don't Start Now 10/10
                                            - Physical 20/10
                                            - Break My Heart 8/10
                                            - Hallucinate 6/10
                                            - Levitating 9/10
                                            - Fever 10/10

The excellence phew

98 - OUT

Comment

• Originally posted by Goldmoney View Post
                                              Herpayola
                                              Thots on Levitating cumming to become another top 20 / 10 hit in your hole
                                              98 - OUT

Comment

The same could be said about Maria tho

At least with Madonna people still LOVE to trash talk her every move
                                                Pre-COVID, I used to play GOAT in front of my friends all the time (predominantly chocolate, where the song was the biggest classik anyway) and they would say, “that’s when she was good” or “she needs to go back to that.” I didn’t even care that they were dissing Kween because they had placed GOAT on such a pedestal.
                                                Last edited by Goldmoney; Sat November 21, 2020, 22:29.
                                                Originally posted by beredy
                                                When people see your post this is what they see:

GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT.

Comment

- Don't Start Now 10/10
                                                  - Physical 20/10
                                                  - Break My Heart 8/10
                                                  - Hallucinate 6/10
                                                  - Levitating 9/10
                                                  - Fever 10/10

The excellence phew
                                                  Yeah, Fever 10/10 smash hit

Comment

Gerl radio doesn't even count for german charts (I wish it did but that's another story) so Ava is scoring those hits here even without radio:

Sweet But Psycho #1
                                                    So Am I #21
                                                    Salt #10
                                                    Kings & Queens #16
                                                    98 - OUT

Comment

Working...
                                                    X