Pop Talk - General Music Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by likeidogoldlink View Post
    One thing amuses me. Kanye, despite peeing at the award, got a nomination. No self-respect.

I can't at people acting like the Grammys are this small panel of voters that could influence a nomination outcome. The voting pool is big and many come from peers and industry leaders. Someone bashing the Grammys? well yeah ok but most of the ones voting don't care about that since it's not directed at them in the end
    aRat's NUDES LEAKED

Comment

• Originally posted by likeidogoldlink View Post
      One thing amuses me. Kanye, despite peeing at the award, got a nomination. No self-respect.

He is a dickhead, without a doubt. On the other hand: Let's just pretend that he released the best album of all time in 2020: Should his behavior decide whether he gets nominated or not rather than the music itself? If the music was bad on the other hand...

InFamous : I'm obviously talking from a European point of view. 2 months between two single releases can be short when some songs take ages to peak, but I dare to say that at least in my country (can't speak for others), each had their time to shine instead of getting overshadowed by one big lead single.

Comment

• The Weeknd getting snubbed by the Grammys is a bigger scandal than #OscarsSoWhite. If the nominees have any sort of self-respect, they should boycott the ceremony.

Comment

• #Oscarssowhite #Grammyssoblack

Most nominations of the year:
          2012: Kanye West
          2013: Dan Auerbach, Fun, Frank Ocean, Mumford & Sons, Jay-Z, Kanye West
          2014: Jay-Z
          2015: Beyoncé, Sam Smith, Pharrell Williams
          2016: Kendrick Lamar
          2017: Beyoncé
          2018: Jay-Z
          2019: Kendrick Lamar
          2020: Lizzo
          2021: Beyoncé

Comment

• Originally posted by theMathematician View Post
            #Oscarssowhite #Grammyssoblack

Most nominations of the year:
            2012: Kanye West
            2013: Dan Auerbach, Fun, Frank Ocean, Mumford & Sons, Jay-Z, Kanye West
            2014: Jay-Z
            2015: Beyoncé, Sam Smith, Pharrell Williams
            2017: Beyoncé
            2018: Jay-Z
            2019: Kendrick Lamar
            2020: Lizzo
            2021: Beyoncé
            Now do that with the winners list.
            5.05.2009 / 6.22.2011 / 4.24.2013 / 4.25.2013 / 3.1.2014 / 9.13.2014 / 7.21.2016 / 7.14.2018 / 7.15.2018

Comment

• Originally posted by Rihab View Post
              The Weeknd getting snubbed by the Grammys is a bigger scandal than #OscarsSoWhite. If the nominees have any sort of self-respect, they should boycott the ceremony.
              Let's not exaggerate, one artist being snubbed in a single year is not the same as minorities generally being shut out of the most prestigious movie award for decades.

As I've stated multiple times I can understand peopl being upset about BL but After Hours was neither a great album nor did it perform so incredibly well that it coudln't be ignored. It all evolves around that one song. It's also the only big hit from the record. Half of its sales and streams are related to one song. And looking at the nominations it has nothing to do with race.
              aRat's NUDES LEAKED

Comment

• Originally posted by KEY9481 View Post

Now do that with the winners list.
                Yeah giving out cute nominations and then save the general field for white people. Kiss my ass
                aRat's NUDES LEAKED

Comment

• Most winners of the year:
                  2011: Lady Antebellum
                  2012: Adele
                  2013: Dan Auerbach
                  2014: Bob Ludwig, Macklemore & Ryan Lewis, Daft Punk, Pharrell Williams
                  2015: Sam Smith
                  2017: Adele
                  2018: Bruno Mars
                  2019: Childish Gambino, Kacey Musgraves
                  2020: Finneas

There are less black artists on that list, agreed.

Comment

• Originally posted by BeeBoy View Post
                    As I've stated multiple times I can understand peopl being upset about BL but After Hours was neither a great album nor did it perform so incredibly well that it coudln't be ignored. It all evolves around that one song. It's also the only big hit from the record. Half of its sales and streams are related to one song. And looking at the nominations it has nothing to do with race.
                    The fact that it's a black man getting snubbed makes it more problematic, but it's not the main issue here.

Blinding Lights is by far the biggest hit we've seen in the last 10, maybe 20 years. And it's not exactly a ''Baby'' or ''Gangnam Style'' in terms of quality. In a fair competition, it should have been a shoo-in for ROTY. To see it losing at the actual ceremony would've been enough for one of the biggest upsets in Grammy history. But since it's not even nominated, it's clear that something very shady was going on behind the scenes.

I just don't see how anyone could take pride in winning an award under these circumstances, when the game is so obviously rigged. It's the music equivalent of winning an Olympic gold medal, but the #1 of the world ranking is shut out of the competition for no reason. No athlete who loves the sport more than him or herself would participate. Of course, we'll see the likes of Tayloo, Gaga, Bieber and probably Mrs Carter whore themselves out for a trophy though. They're just that weak and full of themselves.

Comment

• I agree that it's upsetting if BL was the most voted for and then the committee comes in and swaps him out because they are mad he chose to perform at the Super Bowl. Thing is we don't know how it happened maybe he just didn't get the votes in. This are not the Billboard awards where it's about chart success only. (where was Shape Of You nominations for example?Which is THE biggest hit) Yes BL deserved a nom in OUR opinion but that's it. It's an award that's given out not a life saving organ transplant. Stans need to get a grip.

Awards, success, etc. are subjective after all and always have been This is no sudden change the industry plays this game since decades. It makes zero sense to single out artists to push your agenda versus them in this case
                      aRat's NUDES LEAKED

Comment

• The Grammys do not take out or change anything in Pop, as there is no committee. It’s a straight vote. The Weeknd was not in the top 5 or 6 in the three Pop categories
                        aRat's NUDES LEAKED

Comment

• ^ But Yummy was? In that case, they'll have to throw out everyone who voted because they clearly don't know sh*t about music.

Comment

• People are really over reacting about Yummy and Changes being nominated. I get it, you all hate Justin Beiber and blame him for everything that is wrong in the world but it is not his fault that he was nominated and The Wkend wasn't.
                            People's opinions and meltdowns about the Grammy nominations year in year out make no sense to me. For years, people have been claiming that the Grammys are meaningless and corrupt yet secretly crave nominations for their faves. Artists have meltdowns if not nominated yet submit their work every year. Why seek validation from something you see as corrupt and meaningless. Why do you care about it if it means nothing to you ?
                            Bottom line - if your fave is nominated or wins everything is A OK and hunky dory. If your fave doesn't get nominated suddenly everything is a scam, corrupt, fixed.
                            I mean would BL getting a nomination in Pop really have changed much ?
                            Last edited by InFamous; Wed November 25, 2020, 14:03.

Comment

He is a dickhead, without a doubt. On the other hand: Let's just pretend that he released the best album of all time in 2020: Should his behavior decide whether he gets nominated or not rather than the music itself? If the music was bad on the other hand...

InFamous : I'm obviously talking from a European point of view. 2 months between two single releases can be short when some songs take ages to peak, but I dare to say that at least in my country (can't speak for others), each had their time to shine instead of getting overshadowed by one big lead single.
                              Actually songs in Europe often enter high and then fade while it's in the US they can take ages to peak. But generally two months between singles is not really rushed and there was actually three months between DSN and Physical, while BMH was released along with the album, which is standard practice these days.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rihab View Post
                                ^ But Yummy was? In that case, they'll have to throw out everyone who voted because they clearly don't know sh*t about music.
                                Everyone who ever won a Grammy can basically vote as far as I know.

To be qualified for membership, however, voting members must have creative or technical credits on at least six commercially released tracks on a physical music release or 12 on a digital album.
                                The Recording Academy's voting membership is comprised solely of music creators, including artists, engineers, producers and songwriters. Voting Members are automatically qualified to vote online during each of the two balloting periods.
                                aRat's NUDES LEAKED

Comment

• Guys can please remember not to give negative nicknames to artists (page one rules) and also be mindful of using negative language that might breach other forum wide rules too.

I accept people are feeling passionate about the nominations but they are what they are and lets be honest - they mean nothing. An album that wins a Grammy doesn't suddenly incur a huge number of sales or find itself back at #1. It's not the same as winning an Oscar, where a movie that wins 'Best Picture' generally sees a surge in ticket sales and thus an increased box office.

Getting yourself wound up because people you don't know are making decisions about awards that people won't win for a ceremony that means nothing is... well, it's a mood. The Grammys only mean something if you think it means something.

As long as you have the music and enjoy the music that's all that matters. Just remember the albums are not made in the hope of winning awards and any artist that judged the artistic merit of their work on the strength of whether it's nominated for a Grammy or not does not deserve your respect.
                                  Queuing for Girls Aloud reunion tickets since 2013

#FreeBritney

Comment

• Originally posted by menime123 View Post
                                    [B]
                                    As long as you have the music and enjoy the music that's all that matters. Just remember the albums are not made in the hope of winning awards and any artist that judged the artistic merit of their work on the strength of whether it's nominated for a Grammy or not does not deserve your respect.

Comment

• I mostly agree with you here, menime123 . Big winners of the Grammy ceremony do tend to have significant increases on the charts, but that's of course nothing to lose sleep about, indeed.

Comment

I mostly agree with you here, menime123 . Big winners of the Grammy ceremony do tend to have significant increases on the charts, but that's of course nothing to lose sleep about, indeed.
                                        In a world where 10,000 sales can get you a top 10 album, who even cares.

#FreeBritney

Comment

• The biggest snub of the year was Smile, pop perfection ignored. Disgraceful.

Comment

• @menime123: Following that logic, there are countries where you can reach the top 10 with less than 1k copies sold ;) . But yeah, I get your point.

InFamous : It's great that you like the record. On the other hand, the committee probably had no base to reward it with nominations considering its commercial and critical performance.

Comment

@menime123: Following that logic, there are countries where you can reach the top 10 with less than 1k copies sold ;) . But yeah, I get your point.

InFamous : It's great that you like the record. On the other hand, the committee probably had no base to reward it with nominations considering its commercial and critical performance.
                                              As you have been told repeatedly neither commercial success nor critical acclaim are necessary barometers to ensure Grammy nominations.

Comment

• “Smile” didn’t deserve any nomination (and no one was expecting nominations from her either) ...

Rock lives forever: Led Zeppelin . Metallica . Pink Floyd . Nirvana . Radiohead . Pearl Jam . Oasis . Iron Maiden . Nine Inch Nails
                                                Approved Popstars: Michael Jackson . Madonna . Britney Spears . Beyoncé . Rihanna

Comment

• The biggest snub was Harry Styles, who delivered a hugely critically acclaimed album, released five huge singles from it and had a massively successful era.

#FreeBritney

Comment

• Originally posted by menime123 View Post
                                                    The biggest snub was Harry Styles, who delivered a hugely critically acclaimed album, released five huge singles from it and had a massively successful era.
                                                    But he was nominated and got like 3/4 nominations LOL.
                                                    Rock lives forever: Led Zeppelin . Metallica . Pink Floyd . Nirvana . Radiohead . Pearl Jam . Oasis . Iron Maiden . Nine Inch Nails
                                                    Approved Popstars: Michael Jackson . Madonna . Britney Spears . Beyoncé . Rihanna

Comment

Working...
                                                    X