Pop Talk - General Music Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MrLeonix View Post

Sorry but there wasn’t a single country out there where “Teenage Dream” and it’s singles smashed in the same way they did in USA (Janet teas and “We Belong Together” teas) LOL

Most of Dua’s success comes from outside the USA (like around the actual world). Global star!
    Stop posting fake news, you have the nerve to call out others for fake news when you just literally invent stuff yourself LOL.
    Teenage Dream was globally successful as anyone with eyes can see. It outsold Dua Lipa easily eveywhere. And by definition Future Nostalgia, which has atrocious numbers.

Dua Lipa -
    Teenage Dream -
    • RIAA: 8× Platinum
    • ARIA: 4× Platinum
    • BPI: 4× Platinum
    • BVMI: Platinum
    • FIMI: Platinum
    • IFPI AUT: Gold
    • IFPI SWI: Gold
    • MC: 4× Platinum
    • RMNZ: 3× Platinum
    • SNEP: 2× Platinum

Comment

• Originally posted by theMathematician View Post
      Reagrding Kendrick Lamar: I like his song 'King Kunta', but I also never got his universal acclaim including winning the Pulitzer prize either. I mean 'B*tch don't kill my vibe', seriously?

Regarding the Grammy talk: I don't know 'the Black Pumas', but something about them tells me that they could have a chance for that award. I'd still place my bet on 'Future Nostalgia' if I had to.
      Sure, place your bets on an album you've never heard. Take that leap of faith

Comment

• Originally posted by InFamous View Post

Stop posting fake news, you have the nerve to call out others for fake news when you just literally invent stuff yourself LOL.
        Teenage Dream was globally successful as anyone with eyes can see. It outsold Dua Lipa easily eveywhere. And by definition Future Nostalgia, which has atrocious numbers.

Dua Lipa -
        Teenage Dream -
        So this confirms TD was more of a US thing ...
        Rock lives forever: Led Zeppelin . Metallica . Pink Floyd . Nirvana . Radiohead . Pearl Jam . Oasis . Iron Maiden . Nine Inch Nails
        Approved Popstars: Michael Jackson . Madonna . Britney Spears . Beyoncé . Rihanna

Comment

• Originally posted by spiritboy View Post
          Dua doesn't have a diamond single let alone three and we will talk again when she scores 5 #1 singles from an album. Trying to make Katy look like Meghan Trainor is nothing but delusional, the girl slayed in her prime time. Maybe Dua will be bigger or she'll peak during FN era and start to decline.
          Chile let her worry about scoring 1 before she thinks about scoring 5.

Comment

• Folklore is the best album of 2020 according to Time Magazine. Taylor's 3rd AOTY Grammy is coming.
            Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

Folklore is the best album of 2020 according to Time Magazine. Taylor's 3rd AOTY Grammy is coming.
              What was its Metacritic rating? Too lazy to look it up at the moment.
              You dare to call me crazy, have you looked around this place?
              I should walk away.
              Oh, I should walk away.
              But I think I'll stay.
              (Miley Cyrus)

Comment

What was its Metacritic rating? Too lazy to look it up at the moment.

It's successful both commercially and critically.
                Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

• Miley’s album started quite good on metacritic (78/100 based on 8 reviews). It will obviously fall down as more reviews get added but I think this will remain higher than 70/100 which is great for Miley.

She’s really winning this year.
                  Rock lives forever: Led Zeppelin . Metallica . Pink Floyd . Nirvana . Radiohead . Pearl Jam . Oasis . Iron Maiden . Nine Inch Nails
                  Approved Popstars: Michael Jackson . Madonna . Britney Spears . Beyoncé . Rihanna

Comment

So this confirms TD was more of a US thing ...
                    Did any of Britney's album sell the same in the UK as they did in the US ? Cos if that's your criteria your fave was the biggest local fad ever.

Baby one more time
                    • RIAA: 14× Platinum (Diamond)
                    • BVMI: 3× Gold
                    • IFPI: 4× Platinum
                    • IFPI SWE: Platinum
                    • IFPI SWI: Platinum
                    • MC: Diamond

Britney local fad confirmed according to her biggest fan . Oops .

Comment

And still marginally ahead of Smile on the Most Discussed List. Dua a lowly 9th.

Comment

• Midnight Sky deserved better treatment in US. In UK, it was a top 5 hit which was great. It didn't even reach top 10 in Australia which is weird cause they are more supportive towards pop girls.
                        Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

Dua Lipa -
                          Teenage Dream -
                          So “Dua Lipa” certified units worldwide stand at 2,3M, while “Teenage Dream” is at 8M in the US alone? Looks like miss Perry had the more global peak

Comment

Thanks. It may not have the cultural impact like '1989' or 'Fearless', but as I wrote somewhere before, the criteria switch from year to year. Besides maybe 'Babel', they've always sticked with critically acclaimed albums during the last couple of years, but sometimes, they go for the obvious frontrunner, and sometimes, they go for the underdog. In the end, that's what makes the Grammys so exciting.

spiritboy : Agreed, it's common for lead singles by international female acts to reach the top 10 there. Even Clarkson's 'Mr Know It All' reached No. 1 in Australia when we all know that it's not your typical No. 1 material. I would've liked 'Midnight Sky' to reach the top 10 there.
                            Last edited by theMathematician; Fri November 27, 2020, 15:32.
                            I should walk away.
                            Oh, I should walk away.
                            But I think I'll stay.
                            (Miley Cyrus)

Comment

Midnight Sky deserved better treatment in US. In UK, it was a top 5 hit which was great. It didn't even reach top 10 in Australia which is weird cause they are more supportive towards pop girls.
                              Tbh in the UK it was that horrible version with Stevie Nicks that propelled it to number 5.

Comment

Thanks. It may not have the cultural impact like '1989' or 'Fearless', but as I wrote somewhere before, the criteria switch from year to year. Besides maybe 'Babel', they've always sticked with critically acclaimed albums during the last couple of years, but sometimes, they go for the obvious frontrunner, and sometimes, they go for the underdog. In the end, that's what makes the Grammys so exciting.
                                What cultural impact has 1989 had or indeed Fearless ? Genuine question.

Comment

• Originally posted by Enzolorenzo View Post

So “Dua Lipa” certified units worldwide stand at 2,3M, while “Teenage Dream” is at 8M in the US alone? Looks like miss Perry had the more global peak
                                  Clearly lol.

Comment

• Dua worked her arse off so she deserves every bit of her success and i'm happy for her. Fever proved that she has more great songs in her vault that are waiting to be released.
                                    Too bad we didn't see the full potential of Chromatica era, i do think it had at least 2 more singles in it and she should've given a virtual concert, Gaga is a visual artist and she could've slayed that concert.
                                    Alicia Keys released her best album in years and it's already forgotten. Same can be said about Katy's Smile.
                                    Jessie Ware's album should've been nominated for Best Dance Album grammy at least.
                                    Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

1989 is one of, if not, the biggest pop album of the millennium lol

Comment

Did any of Britney's album sell the same in the UK as they did in the US ? Cos if that's your criteria your fave was the biggest local fad ever.

Baby one more time
                                        • RIAA: 14× Platinum (Diamond)
                                        • BVMI: 3× Gold
                                        • IFPI: 4× Platinum
                                        • IFPI SWE: Platinum
                                        • IFPI SWI: Platinum
                                        • MC: Diamond

Britney local fad confirmed according to her biggest fan . Oops .
                                        Is BOMT Britney’s only album?

What about this?

“Greatest Hits: My Prerogative”:

- US - 1x Platinum
                                        - Australia - 2x Platinum
                                        - UK - 3x Platinum
                                        - Japan - 3x Platinum

Etc, etc.

1,6m sales in US ... over 6m pure sales around the world

Comment

Is BOMT Britney’s only album?

What about this?

“Greatest Hits: My Prerogative”:

- US - 1x Platinum
                                          - Australia - 2x Platinum
                                          - UK - 3x Platinum
                                          - Japan - 3x Platinum

Etc, etc.

1,6m sales in US ... over 6m pure sales around the world
                                          So it flopped in the US, amazing stats.

Comment

• Dua debuted in the streaming era. She arrived when pure sales were over, getting streaming only certs is way harder and she’s getting them like no other female in the streaming era at the moment (besides Ariana).

Comment

Sure it's a big pop album but has it really impacted culture in any way outside of that lol. come on.

Comment

Are you JeremySpears's second account, or?
                                                BEAUTY IS A MUST, TALENT IS A PLUS
                                                98 - OUT

Comment

So it flopped in the US, amazing stats.
                                                  Exactly because she’s global ... global artists can afford USA flops

I mean it outsold TD’s 5,8million units shipped on IFPI

Comment

It is a genuine question. Obviously, there have been albums with bigger contribution to the history of pop music and modern culture. Regarding 'Fearless', I'd say Taylor Swift helped making country music accessible for a younger target audience. '1989' was her big move to pop music (well, that's what the media say, her previous records have had major pop influence as well) and it's a risky move that paid off in her case (unlike e.g. Leann Rimes or Jewel).
                                                    I should walk away.
                                                    Oh, I should walk away.
                                                    But I think I'll stay.
                                                    (Miley Cyrus)

Comment

Working...
                                                    X