No announcement yet.

Pop Talk - General Music Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adele’s “21” is the biggest pop album (and album in general) of the millenium.
    Rock lives forever: Led Zeppelin . Metallica . Pink Floyd . Nirvana . Radiohead . Pearl Jam . Oasis . Iron Maiden . Nine Inch Nails
    Approved Popstars: Michael Jackson . Madonna . Britney Spears . Beyoncé . Rihanna

Comment

• Originally posted by MrLeonix View Post
      Dua is indeed better than Kitty in every aspect (music, performances, quality, success, talent, voice, acclaim, global appeal, streaming, etc)
      Originally posted by MrLeonix View Post

Bro .. It’s all over for Kitty since 2014 and she was quite local.

Dua is slaying the globe / internationally in a way Kitty never could with more years of success to come. #GlobalAct
      Originally posted by InFamous View Post

Success, sales, chart achievements, number ones, beauty, talent, songwriting ability, vocal range, hair colour, better breasts, hotter boyfriend. Like the list is endless
      I think we've explored Dua vs Katy enough for now.

Comparing breasts? Really?

Originally posted by InFamous View Post

Sure, place your bets on an album you've never heard. Take that leap of faith
      Personally, I love the Black Pumas. I don't think they will win, but I wouldn't be mad.

Comment

• Britney flops globally these days let's be real and has been doing so for ten years at this stage. A global flop. Meanwhile Smile flopped in the US but was a huge success in Australia, Norway and Laos. Global.

Comment

• Originally posted by theMathematician View Post

It is a genuine question. Obviously, there have been albums with bigger contribution to the history of pop music and modern culture. Regarding 'Fearless', I'd say Taylor Swift helped making country music accessible for a younger target audience. '1989' was her big move to pop music (well, that's what the media say, her previous records have had major pop influence as well) and it's a risky move that paid off in her case (unlike e.g. Leann Rimes or Jewel).
          But how has it impacted culture ?

Comment

• Originally posted by InFamous View Post

Sure it's a big pop album but has it really impacted culture in any way outside of that lol. come on.
            It cannot impact anything since it is just a Teenage Dream clone anyway.

Tayloo, despite her US centric numbers, is one of the least impactful popstars...
            BEAUTY IS A MUST, TALENT IS A PLUS
            98 - OUT

Comment

Adele’s “21” is the biggest pop album (and album in general) of the millenium.
              That depends on your definition of pop. Some call it soul, which is closer to R&B/hip hop than pop, I guess.

@InFamous: By making country music accessible to younger audiences and proving that you can successfuly crossover to pop formats. I think we all agree that there have been albums with greater cultural impact, but then again, it depends on what you'd call 'cultural impact'.
              Last edited by theMathematician; Fri November 27, 2020, 15:47.

Comment

Is BOMT Britney’s only album?

What about this?

“Greatest Hits: My Prerogative”:

- US - 1x Platinum
                - Australia - 2x Platinum
                - UK - 3x Platinum
                - Japan - 3x Platinum

Etc, etc.

1,6m sales in US ... over 6m pure sales around the world
                Katy Perry - One of the Boys
                • RIAA: Platinum
                • ARIA: 2× Platinum
                • BPI: 2× Platinum
                • BVMI: 3× Gold
                • FIMI: Gold
                • IFPI AUT: Platinum
                • IFPI SWI: Gold
                • MC: 3× Platinum
                • RMNZ: Gold
                • SNEP: 2× Platinum
                OOPS. What's next bro ?

Comment

Sure it's a big pop album but has it really impacted culture in any way outside of that lol. come on.
                  I mean cultural impact isn’t something objective. The album was a massive success, it scored multiple radio hits and is still very remembered to the GP. Looks like it was an impactful album to me

Comment

Britney flops globally these days let's be real and has been doing so for ten years at this stage. A global flop. Meanwhile Smile flopped in the US but was a huge success in Australia, Norway and Laos. Global.
                    Smile is not even Gold in Australia. Huge success my ass.

And BTW “Smile” hasn’t outsold “Glory” in any market (except for Norway)
                    Rock lives forever: Led Zeppelin . Metallica . Pink Floyd . Nirvana . Radiohead . Pearl Jam . Oasis . Iron Maiden . Nine Inch Nails
                    Approved Popstars: Michael Jackson . Madonna . Britney Spears . Beyoncé . Rihanna

Comment

• Originally posted by theMathematician View Post

That depends on your definition of pop. Some call it soul, which is closer to R&B/hip hop than pop, I guess.

@InFamous: By making country music accessible to younger audiences and proving that you can successfuly crossover to pop formats. I think we all agree that there have been albums with greater cultural impact, but then again, it depends on what you'd call 'cultural impact'.
                      Well if you mean more dance-pop / bubblegum pop eras I’m sure “The Fame” and “Oops I Did It Again” are the biggest pop eras of the millenium.

Comment

• Originally posted by Enzolorenzo View Post

I mean cultural impact isn’t something objective. The album was a massive success, it scored multiple radio hits and is still very remembered to the GP. Looks like it was an impactful album to me
                        Yeah I never questioned it's success in the pop realm or its success but to claim it had " cultural impact" is a bit too much IMO.

Comment

• The last album that had any cultural impact was Selftitled by Beyoncé imo
                          Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

Smile is not even Gold in Australia. Huge success my ass.

And BTW “Smile” hasn’t outsold “Glory” in any market (except for Norway)
                            I guess Britney's "global" reach just didn't extend as far as Norway.

Comment

OOPS. What's next bro ?
                              One Of The Bottoms was indeed very global (and her best album). Katy started becoming local with TD and its US centric sound.
                              Last edited by aRat; Fri November 27, 2020, 15:54.
                              BEAUTY IS A MUST, TALENT IS A PLUS
                              98 - OUT

Comment

OOPS. What's next bro ?
                                Enjoy it while her label decides to update it’s certification in US

It’ll go like 4x Platinum or 5x Platinum that day

Comment

I guess Britney's "global" reach just didn't extend as far as Norway.
                                  Well “Glory” shipped 40K in Brazil which is enough for Platinum in that market. And shipments are public and even registered through codes in Brazil.

Comment

• Originally posted by cheapthrills View Post
                                    Comparing breasts? Really?
                                    Well the gurls talk about male ass and D's all the time in here.
                                    Obviously it was tongue in cheek.

Comment

Well “Glory” shipped 40K in Brazil which is enough for Platinum in that market. And shipments are public and even registered through codes in Brazil.
                                      I don't really care tbh.

Comment

Enjoy it while her label decides to update it’s certification in US

It’ll go like 4x Platinum or 5x Platinum that day
                                        No fear of that happening with My Perogative ( unsold)

Comment

• Reputation definitely had cultural impact. The release of LWYMMD was an event

Comment

• Originally posted by aRat View Post

One Of The Bottoms was indeed very global (and her best album). Katy started becoming local with TD and its US centric sound.
                                            All of TD's singles were Top 5 Top 10 in every European Market. Like stop inventing LIES

Comment

No fear of that happening with My Perogative ( unsold)
                                              It’s not like she needs or depends on “My Prerogative”. Brit Bot has like 7 other different albums waiting for certifications update.

You know .. she had more than 3 successful eras

Comment

It’s not like she needs or depends on “My Prerogative”. Brit Bot has like 7 other different albums waiting for certifications update.

You know .. she had more than 3 successful eras
                                                No no according to your criteria all of her eras were local to the US. Local. Apart from My Perogative. That is what you said and you can't change it now. Sorry

Comment

No no according to your criteria all of her eras were local to the US. Local. Apart from My Perogative. That is what you said and you can't change it now. Sorry
                                                  Knee has diamond albums in South Korea and in the Philippines too. Looks like she was able to match her US success somewhere at least!

Comment

Well ... not really

according to chartmasters “In The Zone” = 7 million pure sales worldwide (3 million in US).

ITZ sold more outside the US (and this is basically the case of “Britney”, “Blackout”, “Circus”, “Femme Fatale” and even her flops “BJ” and “Glory”)

all of her albums (except for the first two) sold more copies internationally than what they sold in the US.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X