Pop Talk - General Music Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by InFamous View Post
    That was quite normal for a lot of people in the UK. If you even look at Madonna loads of her songs spent like 7 to 8 weeks only and back then the main purpose of singles were to give attention to the parent album.
    Hmm...I'll have to check out the equivalent video for Madge then. I do know that first weeks tend to be a bigger deal for singles in the UK versus the US even now (i.e. chart peaks are oftentimes achieved in the first week in the UK versus the US where it's more typical for songs to climb to their peaks).
    Your heart is coloured with the love wrapped in the brilliant blue sky above, the breadth of the jewelled oceans, and the pure heat of the golden sun. And your heart is home to the cosmic creation that is you.

Comment

• Originally posted by JSparksFan View Post

Hmm...I'll have to check out the equivalent video for Madge then. I do know that first weeks tend to be a bigger deal for singles in the UK versus the US even now (i.e. chart peaks are oftentimes achieved in the first week in the UK versus the US where it's more typical for songs to climb to their peaks).
      I dont have a video but here is her UK chart history. If you scroll down and expand the + under chart peaks you will see the chart runs. Bear in mind that all through the 90's only a Top 40 was published so often times after five or six weeks songs just disappeared without trace. Once they dipped below 40 they were done.

https://www.officialcharts.com/artist/28948/madonna/

Comment

• Originally posted by MrLeonix View Post

No-MicNey Spree is such an inspiration

https://musicfeeds.com.au/news/miley...for-new-album/

I can totally hear Britney all over Gimme What I Want. In fact Miley herself said one of the songs on the album sounds like Britney meets Trent Reznor and that’s definitely it,

The album is amazing btw:

Comment

• Originally posted by Instinct View Post
          I can totally hear Britney all over Gimme What I Want. In fact Miley herself said one of the songs on the album sounds like Britney meets Trent Reznor and that’s definitely it,

The album is amazing btw:
          Yeah .. it literally sounds like Britney’s “Gimme More” meets the Nine Inch Nails universe.

Miley is doing great. It’s nice seeing her speaking of her influences and inspirations for this album such as Metallica, Britney Spears, Nine Inch Nails and Pearl Jam (all artists that I like - All of them literally appear in my sig).
          Rock lives forever: Led Zeppelin . Metallica . Pink Floyd . Nirvana . Radiohead . Pearl Jam . Oasis . Iron Maiden . Nine Inch Nails
          Approved Popstars: Michael Jackson . Madonna . Britney Spears . Beyoncé . Rihanna

Comment

• Originally posted by JSparksFan View Post
            I didn't realise so many of Kylie's singles had such a short shelf life on the UK charts. Barring "Can't Get You Out of My Head", seems like her average single's tenure is about five weeks.

That’s how the UK singles chart worked in the 00’s. Several hit singles only spent like 5-6 weeks in the top 10.

Comment

How many of Rihanna's 14 are solo ? Out of curiosity only.
              6. six. 6 solo #1's in 15 years.

2006 - SOS
              2008 - Take a Bow
              2008 - Disturbia
              2010 - Rude Boy
              2010 - Only Girl
              2011 - We Found Love
              2012 - Diamonds

My Chart

Comment

• Lil Nas X should do a Holiday remix with the Kween of Christmas herself.
                Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

• I can't at corny Xmas songs blocking charts and the entrie music industry for 1,5 months every year. Something needs to be done about that. #BanXmasFromTheCharts

BEAUTY IS A MUST, TALENT IS A PLUS
                  98 - OUT

Comment

• Originally posted by aRat View Post
                    I can't at corny Xmas songs blocking charts and the entrie music industry for 1,5 months every year. Something needs to be done about that. #BanXmasFromTheCharts

the only legit recent XMas song
                    Waffles are checked cookies

Comment

• Originally posted by Enzolorenzo View Post

That’s how the UK singles chart worked in the 00’s. Several hit singles only spent like 5-6 weeks in the top 10.
                      and that's how it shoulld be...I am over any song in general a week after its release, let alone a month. Damn fake inflated streaming numbers (obviously cooked by the major labels) stopped the peak consumer age.
                      Waffles are checked cookies

Comment

• Xmas music is so amazing. I love it and listen to it all year round. <3 But in September my personal Xmas season starts... It also the time when my fav's song is exploding. So, you gotta do, what you gotta do.
                        My Chart

Comment

I can't at corny Xmas songs blocking charts and the entrie music industry for 1,5 months every year. Something needs to be done about that. #BanXmasFromTheCharts

The charts are completely and utterly irrelevant.
                          Queuing for Girls Aloud reunion tickets since 2013

#FreeBritney

Comment

• Originally posted by Enzolorenzo View Post

I agree. It's much better that way. No one can tell me that they are still crazy about 'Shape Of You', 'Bad Guy' or 'Someone You Loved' after half a year when they are still charting in the top 10 at that point. It's better to move on and give the artists' next singles a chance.

Originally posted by aRat View Post
                            I agree. New Christmas songs charting high is one thing, the same old songs charting year after year is another.

Comment

• Originally posted by theMathematician View Post

I agree. New Christmas songs charting high is one thing, the same old songs charting year after year is another.
                              So, the charts should not reflect what people are willingly buying and streaming? Then what should charts reflect in 2020?
                              My Chart

Comment

• Originally posted by stevyy View Post

So, the charts should not reflect what people are willingly buying and streaming? Then what should charts reflect in 2020?
                                They should reflect the most popular songs and albums throughout all democratics in a week. Looking at our national chart, I'm not sure wthether that's the case with most of the songs charting in the top 10 at the moment.

Comment

They would've liked Xmas songs if their faves slayed like Kween
                                  Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

• So after Studio 2054 do we all agreez that Duanal is the best (and most beautiful) female performer of all time?

BEAUTY IS A MUST, TALENT IS A PLUS
                                    98 - OUT

Comment

• Haven't seen it yet so i can't comment on it yet, though i'm reading very positive things about the concert. Here's hoping it will leak soon.
                                      Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

6. six. 6 solo #1's in 15 years.

2006 - SOS
                                        2008 - Take a Bow
                                        2008 - Disturbia
                                        2010 - Rude Boy
                                        2010 - Only Girl
                                        2011 - We Found Love
                                        2012 - Diamonds
                                        Thanks stevyy . Those features/ hooks really elevated her stats. Solo she is far less impressive.

Comment

• But that’s just her solo #1s (it doesn’t mean that any other song that didn’t go #1 was not a big hit LOL)

other entirely solo hits:

- Pon The Replay
                                          - Unfaithful
                                          - Don’t Stop The Music
                                          - Disturbia
                                          - S&M (the solo version was #2 on the Hot 100)
                                          - Where Have You Been

and honestly she was the leading act in:

- Umbrella
                                          - What’s My Name
                                          - Work

It’s trolling to not recognize those as her songs ... does that mean we should not recognize Mariah’s “Heartbreaker” featuring Jay-Z?
                                          Rock lives forever: Led Zeppelin . Metallica . Pink Floyd . Nirvana . Radiohead . Pearl Jam . Oasis . Iron Maiden . Nine Inch Nails
                                          Approved Popstars: Michael Jackson . Madonna . Britney Spears . Beyoncé . Rihanna

Comment

So after Studio 2054 do we all agreez that Duanal is the best (and most beautiful) female performer of all time?

No. We do not all agree.

She has potential but she still hasn’t realised it yet. The real test is if she could do it live for 100 shows just as great every night.
                                            Queuing for Girls Aloud reunion tickets since 2013

#FreeBritney

Comment

Agree with you Stevy. Charts should reflect what people are buying and streaming. And this time of the year it's Christmas music. The season can't start soon enough.

My Instagram... - Click here

Comment

• I low key wish GOAT had an Xmas version with Kween in a Santa suit on instead of a wedding dress.
                                                Originally posted by beredy
                                                When people see your post this is what they see:

GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT.

Comment

Thanks stevyy . Those features/ hooks really elevated her stats. Solo she is far less impressive.
                                                  She may have had 'only' six totally solo #1 hits, but let's take a look at the other eight and see who was the main driver behind them.

Umbrella - I think we can agree Jay-Z's presence for commercial purposes was pretty much a non-factor. This would've gone #1 without him.
                                                  What's My Name? - Drake didn't get another #1 hit until 2016 ("One Dance"), so I think it's safe to assume Rihanna was the main driver here and this would've gone #1 without Drake.
                                                  S&M - the Britney remix definitely helped, but as MrL pointed out, this was a top 3 hit with RiRi alone and the way RiRi's team was operating during the 'Loud' era, I think they would've done a discount or something else to take it to #1 without Brit Brit.
                                                  We Found Love - I'm sure close to 0% bought the song because they saw Calvin Harris, fairly unknown in the US in 2011, as the featured act.
                                                  The Monster - Eminem's last US #1; he needed RiRi here.

Live Your Life - T.I. was huge at the time so maybe he didn't need RiRi on the hook, but having her there definitely made it much bigger.
                                                  Love the Way You Lie - same as above.
                                                  Work - I actually think Drake fuelled this more than RiRi, so I'll put this in the 'she actually needed help' column.
                                                  Your heart is coloured with the love wrapped in the brilliant blue sky above, the breadth of the jewelled oceans, and the pure heat of the golden sun. And your heart is home to the cosmic creation that is you.

Comment

• All this Rihsus slander and not a trace of Rihab. The good sis is prolly finishing up his storm cellar for Xmas GOAT’s upcoming two weeks at #1 in his hole.
                                                    Originally posted by beredy
                                                    When people see your post this is what they see:

GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X