Pop Talk - General Music Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by stevyy View Post

WBT is bigger than any madonna song from any era in daily / weekly spotify performance.
    Madonna’s tours - $1,4 Billion grossing

Mariah ... $100million , $200million?

Rock lives forever: Led Zeppelin . Metallica . Pink Floyd . Nirvana . Radiohead . Pearl Jam . Oasis . Iron Maiden . Nine Inch Nails
    Approved Popstars: Michael Jackson . Madonna . Britney Spears . Beyoncé . Rihanna

Comment

• Originally posted by MrLeonix View Post
      But that’s only because Madonna does terrible on streaming in general.

Shakira even has songs that didn’t even chart well in US with more streams than “We Belong Together”

Britney’s “Toxic” did wayyyyyyy worse than WBT in USA yet it has like 2x more streams
      Give Madonna some credit... afterall she is outstreaming MOST acts that came before and after her. She is - in fact - the most streamed female act over 60 on a daily basis in all formats. And also belongs - as you've mentioned - to the 50 biggest females on Spotify. <3
      My Chart

Comment

Give Madonna some credit... afterall she is outstreaming MOST acts that came before and after her. She is - in fact - the most streamed female act over 60 on a daily basis in all formats. And also belongs - as you've mentioned - to the 50 biggest females on Spotify. <3
        You were the one throwing her under the bus though ... just because you got mad that she is more global than Mariah
        Rock lives forever: Led Zeppelin . Metallica . Pink Floyd . Nirvana . Radiohead . Pearl Jam . Oasis . Iron Maiden . Nine Inch Nails
        Approved Popstars: Michael Jackson . Madonna . Britney Spears . Beyoncé . Rihanna

Comment

• Originally posted by Enzolorenzo View Post
          We Belong Together having more streams than Hung Up isn’t shocking, though. It was the bigger hit between the two and it ended up more remembered. Hung Up streams are great as well nonetheless. Especially considering that it wasn’t even a proper hit in the US.
          Hung Up went Top 10. Do only #1 count as "proper" hits?
          My Instagram... - Click here

Comment

Madonna’s tours - $1,4 Billion grossing

Mariah ... $100million , $200million?

nah... mariah ain't touring. so her sum is $0. But her Butterfly beverage didn't cause cancer and sold 10 bottles. That's that on that.
            My Chart

Comment

You were the one throwing her under the bus though ... just because you got mad that she is more global than Mariah
              but it was you who was claiming usa don't count or sth.
              My Chart

Comment

• Originally posted by RayRay View Post

Obsessed and Hung Up had the same peak in the USA and both were huge hits. <3
                My Chart

Comment

but it was you who was claiming usa don't count or sth.
                  I didn’t it say US doesn’t count LOL .. I said she was local with certain releases (which she was).

Anyway .. you wanted to talk about streaming? Well let’s talk about how “Madame X” outstreamed the hell out of “Caution”

Comment

• Still isn’t enough.
                    Originally posted by beredy
                    When people see your post this is what they see:

GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT.

Comment

It went #17 on Pop Radio and peaked at #42 on the Hot 100 Airplay and was #91 on the YEC. It still sold decently but it wasn’t a legit hit like 4 Minutes for example which had both great airplay and great sales.

Comment

• Originally posted by theMathematician View Post
                        If there's another format in 10 years and 'Shape of You' or 'Blinding Lights' do nothing there, that won't take anything away from their recent successes. So yeah, it matters what 'We Belong Together' and 'Hung Up' did back in the day, not now.
                        I disagree. The fact that a song can transcend formats and time only points to it's generational and enduring appeal.

Comment

• We Belong Together wasn't local:

Netherlands #2
                          UK #2
                          Denmark #3
                          Ireland #3
                          Spain #3
                          Switzerland #4
                          Hungary #5
                          Norway #9

European Hot 100 #4

The Emancipation of Mimi was a Top 10 album in my country and stayed in the charts for almost a year.
                          My Instagram... - Click here

Comment

• Originally posted by InFamous View Post

I disagree. The fact that a song can transcend formats and time only points to it's generational and enduring appeal.
                            Didn’t you say several pages ago (and multiple times) that streaming didn’t matter and that streaming didn’t define anything?

Comment

It went #17 on Pop Radio and peaked at #42 on the Hot 100 Airplay and was #91 on the YEC. It still sold decently but it wasn’t a legit hit like 4 Minutes for example which had both great airplay and great sales.
                              I think you’re confusing it not being a mega smash with a not being a hit.

It wasn’t a smash but of course it was a proper hit song in US.

Comment

We Belong Together wasn't local:

Netherlands #2
                                UK #2
                                Denmark #3
                                Ireland #3
                                Spain #3
                                Switzerland #4
                                Hungary #5
                                Norway #9

European Hot 100 #4

The Emancipation of Mimi was a Top 10 album in my country and stayed in the charts for almost a year.
                                Of course it was global lol. It was the biggest hit of the decade in the US, the biggest and most important market in the world. It was also a smash hit in Oceania and a big hit in Europe.

Comment

I didn’t it say US doesn’t count LOL .. I said she was local with certain releases (which she was).

Anyway .. you wanted to talk about streaming? Well let’s talk about how “Madame X” outstreamed the hell out of “Caution”
                                  I have no idea why that is... i'm oblivious.
                                  My Chart

Comment

We Belong Together having more streams than Hung Up isn’t shocking, though. It was the bigger hit between the two and it ended up more remembered. Hung Up streams are great as well nonetheless. Especially considering that it wasn’t even a proper hit in the US.
                                    But surely one would reasonably expect a huge global hit like Hung Up to outstream what people call a local hit like We Belong Together ?
                                    It just goes to show how important the US market is if a local hit can easily outstream a global one. I guess it also can depend if the artist made the transition well into the streaming era or if the hit is of sufficient quality and appeal to transcend time and/or generations and garner new audiences. We belong Together clearly did that, Hung Up, not so much.

Comment

I have no idea why that is... i'm oblivious.
                                      The Maluma and Anitta tracks account for 65 percent of the albums total streams and were playlisted on huge latin playlists for months. That's pretty much why.

Comment

• jfhijklhhjjkl the quality of this gif. Meanwhile the video on her account still has the definition of a 50 dollar TV.
                                        Originally posted by beredy
                                        When people see your post this is what they see:

GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT.

Comment

But surely one would reasonably expect a huge global hit like Hung Up to outstream what people call a local hit like We Belong Together ?
                                          It just goes to show how important the US market is if a local hit can easily outstream a global one. I guess it also can depend if the artist made the transition well into the streaming era or if the hit is of sufficient quality and appeal to transcend time and/or generations and garner new audiences. We belong Together clearly did that, Hung Up, not so much.
                                          The USA remains the biggest music market in the world and has a global market share (or at least as far as I know this was true until the 2000s decade) of over 33% and therefore being just as big as the entirety of Europe.
                                          My Chart

Comment

The Maluma and Anitta tracks account for 65 percent of the albums total streams and were playlisted on huge latin playlists for months. That's pretty much why.
                                            Yeah artists that are from Latin America and that aren’t famous in USA (my point proven again).

So what happened with the US power? I thought USA alone was enough to push anything further on streaming .. then why “Caution” doesn’t have more streams than MX ?

Comment

• The biggest music industries - by far - and therefore the most important ones to crack remain:

01 - USA
                                              02 - Japan
                                              03 - UK

(and 04 Germany for rock acts)
                                              My Chart

Comment

Yeah artists that are from Latin America and that aren’t famous in USA (my point proven again).

So what happened with the US power? I thought USA alone was enough to push anything further on streaming .. then why “Caution” doesn’t have more streams than MX ?
                                                oblivious you is be.
                                                My Chart

Comment

• Mariah is so meem-able. I just love her gifs

Plus this " stripped" version of WBT is amazing

Comment

The biggest music industries - by far - and therefore the most important ones to crack remain:

01 - USA
                                                    02 - Japan
                                                    03 - UK

(and 04 Germany for rock acts)
                                                    I always felt that cracking markets like Japan and Germany was much more impressive than cracking a market like the UK to be honest.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X