Pop Talk - General Music Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by InFamous View Post

No he didn't lol. For chart purposes and sales purposes that would count in Germany as 2 units, not 3. Same everywhere else actually. Only RIAA count a double disc as 2 copies for certification purposes.
    I’m not saying anything about charts though. I know how charts work and I know that a boxset charts as one item.

... Charts aside, he does have two different discs of “The Fame” and one disc of “The Fame Monster”.
    Rock lives forever: Led Zeppelin . Metallica . Pink Floyd . Nirvana . Radiohead . Pearl Jam . Oasis . Iron Maiden . Nine Inch Nails
    Approved Popstars: Michael Jackson . Madonna . Britney Spears . Beyoncé . Rihanna

Comment

• Originally posted by MrLeonix View Post

I’m not saying anything about charts though. I know how charts work and I know that a boxset charts as one item.

... Charts aside, he does have two different discs of “The Fame” and one disc of “The Fame Monster”.

Regardless of how many discs he has when it comes to the sales figure it still counts as 2 not 3. So quit acting naive when the entire conversation is about sales figures not how many discs someone has when they buy a boxset
      So if you know a box set charts as one item and counts as one sale I don't see what you are arguing about but You just claimed before that a box set counts as a sale for each album. Now you're changing it to how many discs the person has.
      Zero tolerance for : bigotry, racism, wilful ignorance.
      Pronouns: He / Him

Comment

Regardless of how many discs he has when it comes to the sales figure it still counts as 2 not 3.
        For me it counts as 3 different discs and 3 purchases considering the fact the Boxset price was basically the price of two discs. It’s not like anyone received the extra disc for free (2x1) or anything like that, people paid every single penny for each disc.

But yeah it’s one item for chart-purposes and regarding how charts work .. I’m not complaining about that at all.

.. but yeah it’s totally accurate to say that 6million people have “The Fame Monster” ...

Also your constant quoting will lead to nothing because my say about this matter WON’T EVER change .. so you’re pretty much wasting your time ... just learn to accept contrary views and move on.
        Rock lives forever: Led Zeppelin . Metallica . Pink Floyd . Nirvana . Radiohead . Pearl Jam . Oasis . Iron Maiden . Nine Inch Nails
        Approved Popstars: Michael Jackson . Madonna . Britney Spears . Beyoncé . Rihanna

Comment

• Originally posted by theMathematician View Post
          Not sure whether I already told you guys about it, but I have wanted to buy Steve Grand's two records for months already. They are not available in Germany, so I messaged his online shop multiple times about purchasing options as they only offer paypal, which I haven't got - no answer thus far. Before giving up, I checked out Ebay and they do offer them, even in a bundle with an autograph. I usually don't like Ebay for purchasing records as I can't support the artist the way, the CDs have already been counted and Grand is an indie artist who actually needs the money unlike any big artists like Taylor Swift, Mariah Carey or Bruno Mars. What would you do?
          Seeing you tried the best you can, I wouldn't wait any longer. They obviously don't want your money that badly. So I'd go for Ebay and not feel bad about it.

As for the autograph discussion, I would rather get an autograph in person than pay for it. Anyone can buy an autograph, but getting one in person is special as it is written down especially for you. I've got autographs by Mariah, Celine Dion, Oleta Adams, The Braxtons, Tina Arena and more.
          My Instagram... - Click here

Comment

• I could never ask for an autograph to anyone ... let alone paying for one

Comment

I could never ask for an autograph to anyone ... let alone paying for one
              Robbie Williams signed 2 albums for me, back when...

and also my KING, Mister Flowers, Brandon signed one disc for me, albeit that one I ordered from his website. <3

My Chart

Comment

• Originally posted by stevyy View Post

Robbie Williams signed 2 albums for me, back when...

and also my KING, Mister Flowers, Brandon signed one disc for me, albeit that one I ordered from his website. <3
                I mean .. I would never judge anyone for doing that but I personally don’t do that.

Asking for an Autograph or pic / selfie is a big no for me.

Comment

• Originally posted by RayRay View Post

Seeing you tried the best you can, I wouldn't wait any longer. They obviously don't want your money that badly. So I'd go for Ebay and not feel bad about it.
                  Thanks, my friend. I'll definitely do it like that now. The ebay offer is 13€+12€ shipping (from Canada ), both albums still wrapped and autographed. I think that's fine all things considered and I'll ask my parents to buy it for me as Christmas gift.
                  Last edited by theMathematician; Tue December 1, 2020, 20:07.
                  Pro: freedom of speech
                  Contra: cancel culture

Comment

I mean .. I would never judge anyone for doing that but I personally don’t do that.

Asking for an Autograph or pic / selfie is a big no for me.
                    I'm not sure who you are stanning, but asking your soulmate act for sth... heck even being in their presence is so overwhelming. When Miss Williams signed my CDs... I was literally outside of my body.
                    My Chart

Comment

I'm not sure who you are stanning, but asking your soulmate act for sth... heck even being in their presence is so overwhelming. When Miss Williams signed my CDs... I was literally outside of my body.
                      I stan music ... but If anything I would have loved to meet Kurt Cobain in person (more like the opportunity of having a conversation with him would have been interesting to me) .. but asking for an autograph is degrading to me, I don’t need to be out there kissing anyone’s ass.

Comment

• MrLeonix InFamous
                        Not two pages with you two going in circles, again, about TF/TFM...

Both of you have valid points...

It's not as easy as Chartmasters wants to make it look. He's clueless and pretty biased when it comes to Gaga...

He first stated for years that TFM EP was basically a US exclusive only and then added a bit more because he saw some editions of the EP on Discogs...
                        But truth is that TFM 8-track edition was sold in lots of countries... where it charted and it's certified as TF only.
                        In UK, for example, or in my country. I bought the EP in Madrid in 2009... and in Spain, TF, TFM EP, and the 2CDs version all charted as The Fame.
                        Same in many other countries.

So claiming, as Chartmasters does, that the EP has sold 2 million copies... is not accurate AT ALL, as many of the EP sales are included on TF total.

On the other hand, even if in vast majority of countries it all counted for The Fame, IFPI did actually differentiate between both albums.
                        So did her label, Universal, on their YEC reports.

https://www.vivendi.com/en/publicati...l-report-2009/
                        https://www.vivendi.com/en/publicati...l-report-2010/

I guess they count The Fame as The Fame while The Fame Monster EP and the 2CDs version as The Fame Monster.

TF didn't chart on IFPI's 2008 YEC. (#50 sold 1.4 million)

IFPI 2009
                        5 Lady Gaga The Fame Universal Music - 4.6 million
                        15 Lady Gaga The Fame Monster Universal Music - 3.0 million

IFPI 2010
                        2 Lady Gaga The Fame Monster Universal Music - 4.8 million
                        25 Lady Gaga The Fame Universal Music - 1.7 million

IFPI 2011
                        48 Lady Gaga The Fame Monster Universal Music

Just with 2009 and 2010 they add 14.2 million. Add 2008 and 2011 and it's more than 16 million.

All 3 versions combined have sold more than 18 million copies combined to date... Pure sales.

My personal estimation is around 8 million for The Fame (6.7 in 2009 and 2010, around 0.5 million in 2008 and the rest afterwards), around 4 million for The Fame Monster EP and around 6 million for the 2CDs edition. But that's just my estimation.

And, please, stop calling it a "box-set"... it's a digipack with two CDs... not a box-set.

Comment

For me it counts as 3 different discs and 3 purchases considering the fact the Boxset price was basically the price of two discs. It’s not like anyone received the extra disc for free (2x1) or anything like that, people paid every single penny for each disc.

But yeah it’s one item for chart-purposes and regarding how charts work .. I’m not complaining about that at all.

.. but yeah it’s totally accurate to say that 6million people have “The Fame Monster” ...

Also your constant quoting will lead to nothing because my say about this matter WON’T EVER change .. so you’re pretty much wasting your time ... just learn to accept contrary views and move on.
                          LOL I couldn't care less about changing your opinion. Nor will you change mine. IT was you who continually quoted me and prolonged the conversation by changing what you were saying every 5 minutes. The figures we were talking about showed The Fame and The Fame monster deluxe sold 15.7 million combined while the standalone EP sold a further 2.1 million up to 2019. How it counts "for you" is irrelevant when it comes to the mentioned sales figure. I never made any claims about how many people "have" the Fame Monster nor what they may or may not have paid for it. So take your own advice and move on.

nympho thank you for taking the time to write all that. You explained it so well and made it so clear and it is cool to see the different breakdowns for each album. I think we can all agree that The Fame/ The Fame Monster era was an amazing time in Gaga's career and she simply SLAYED. We will probably never see an era like that again WW. Chartmasters has the total combined sales at almost 18 million also, seeing as his update was from 2019 it's fair to assume it has reached 18 million by now.
                          Last edited by InFamous; Tue December 1, 2020, 22:22.

Comment

I hope you got a photo with Robbie also

Comment

I stan music ... but If anything I would have loved to meet Kurt Cobain in person (more like the opportunity of having a conversation with him would have been interesting to me) .. but asking for an autograph is degrading to me, I don’t need to be out there kissing anyone’s ass.
                              I see it as something positive. It's not about kissing anyone's ass. I only ask for autographs when I admire a singer. I usually let them sign a CD, so the album gets even more special.

Comment

• Have you ever cursed before, RayRay? I know it’s only a mild curse but still.
                                Greatest
                                Of
                                All
                                Time

Comment

• Actually, nm. You’ve told me once before that you recited the GOAT rap in public before, which has the word “hell” in it.
                                  Greatest
                                  Of
                                  All
                                  Time

Comment

• Goldmoney , I (usually) don't curse. The funny thing is, I do use the word sh!t. To me and other Dutch people it's only a very mild curse, so I was shocked when I met my (English) husband and he told me it was really offensive.

I'm also shocked at how well you know me, Goldmoney!

Comment

• My knees getting weak and my gun might blow but we gon' be alright.

Kendrick is a genius. GOAT

Goldmoney what's your opinion on the rap GOAT?
                                      I am the maniac, I am the ghoul
                                      I'm in the shadows in the corners of my room

Comment

• All of your faves want some of that sweet cookie money
                                        Britney Spears • Janet Jackson • Christina Aguilera • Michael Jackson • Selena Gomez • Hilary Duff • Taylor Swift •

Comment

• Honest question: who the heck would ever buy Mariah Carey's cookies?!!
                                          I am the maniac, I am the ghoul
                                          I'm in the shadows in the corners of my room

Comment

• Originally posted by DnBLover View Post
                                            Honest question: who the heck would ever buy Mariah Carey's cookies?!!
                                            Well I mean they are just cookies at the end of the day, can't imagine Mariah is actually making them herself.

Comment

• Originally posted by aRat View Post

I think even 2x Plat is very likely after the Grammys and with the Side B boost and longevity
                                              What is this Side B thing ? More tracks coming from the FN sessions ?

Comment

What is this Side B thing ? More tracks coming from the FN sessions ?
                                                I understand it as some kind of re-release like the aforementioned 'The Fame Monster'. The debut album actually had a repackaging, too, and I'm still a bit unsatisfied for having bought its standard edition first :/ .

Comment

• Originally posted by theMathematician View Post

I understand it as some kind of re-release like the aforementioned 'The Fame Monster'. The debut album actually had a repackaging, too, and I'm still a bit unsatisfied for having bought its standard edition first :/ .
                                                  Well I mean it was 11 years ago. Maybe you should let those feelings go now

Personally I'm not really a fan of these re-releases. Like if you have another album ready to go just release it as a new album. I dont mind a standard and a deluxe coming at the same time, with the deluxe having extra tracks with the deluxe being more expensive but this thing of re- releasing a few months later with, in some cases just three extra tracks, I don't like that at all. Having said that it doesn't effect me at all as I don't buy physical albums.

Comment

• The album actually had its release 3.5 not 11 years ago, but I understand what you mean. I'm not a fan of re-releases either and prefer what you suggest (= standard and deluxe edition at the same time).

Comment

Working...
                                                    X