Pop Talk - General Music Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by stevyy View Post

You should open a news thread in the news section... bc it is new worthy that after almost 40 years... Thriller was dethroned as the biggest selling album of all times. I guess all times... doesn't mean much. I hope she can keep the title and isn't surpassed soon by one of those streaming newbies.
    Thriller is destroyed
    Rock lives forever: Led Zeppelin . Metallica . Pink Floyd . Nirvana . Radiohead . Pearl Jam . Oasis . Iron Maiden . Nine Inch Nails
    Approved Popstars: Michael Jackson . Madonna . Britney Spears . Beyoncé . Rihanna

Comment

• InFamous : What I mean is that if someone let's say samples Billie Eilish's 'Bad Guy's post-chorus breakdown, she and her brother should get credits for production but not for songwriting when it comes to the song including the sample.

Comment

• Originally posted by theMathematician View Post
        InFamous : What I mean is that if someone let's say samples Billie Eilish's 'Bad Guy's post-chorus breakdown, she and her brother should get credits for production but not for songwriting when it comes to the song including the sample.
        But that's not at all correct. They are not involved in the production of the new track.

Production has nothing to do with sampling the breakdown of a song at all. If you sample part of the instrumental of a song, the writers of the original song are credited as songwriters on the new track. ITs nothing to do with production at all.

Comment

• Originally posted by InFamous View Post

But that's not at all correct. They are not involved in the production of the new track.

Production has nothing to do with sampling the breakdown of a song at all. If you sample part of the instrumental of a song, the writers of the original song are credited as songwriters on the new track. ITs nothing to do with production at all.
          I know, but I would prefer both, production and songwriting being seperated in this particular case.
          So what goes all into songwriting and what goes into production? Would be so kind to split it up?

Comment

I know, but I would prefer both, production and songwriting being seperated in this particular case.
            So what goes all into songwriting and what goes into production? Would be so kind to split it up?
            Dude, if someone writes the music of the song they are the songwriters. Writing is not production. They are treated seperately. Completely seperately.

Unless they produce on the new song why would they be credited on the production ? The producer is involved in gathering ideas, choosing session musicians, proposing changes to song arrangements, coaching the performers, controlling sessions, supervising the audio mixing or supervising the audio mastering.

If a producer writes on the song he will also be credited as a songwriter. But producing does not mean writing the instrumental or melody of the song.

If someone samples an old song, the writers of that song automatically become writers on the new song. They do not get production credits at all. They aren't working on the new song.

Comment

• Example - Lady Gaga I'll never love again

Written by Gaga, Hemby, Lindsey, Raitiere
              Produced by - Gaga, Rice

As you can see in this case Gaga was both involved in the songwriting AND production so is credited as both. However her co producer did not write, so he is not credited as a songwriter. Conversley her co writers did not produce so they are not credited as producers. Songwriting and production are completely seperate. If someone is credited as both a songwriter and producer it simply means that they were involved in both aspects of the track ( As Gaga was here in I'll never love again)

Fast forward five years and Imagine Dua Lipa writes a song with her co writer Julia Michaels and they licence a sample of the instrumental from I'll never love again. Dua's new track is produced by The Monsters and Strangerz. The writers of the sampled song are automatically given a writers credit on the new track, this is by law and has to be done. The producers of the original track do not in any way have to be credited as they have not worked on the new track. Gaga's credit is because she was involved in the writing of the original song. So the credits will be as follow.

Dua Lipa - Love Again ( made up title )
              Written by Dua Lipa, Julia Michaels, Gaga, Hemby, Lindsey, Raitiere
              Produced by - The Monsters and Strangerz

Comment

• Thanks for the answer! I never really thought deeply about what a producer does and assumed that he'd mostly be responsible for creating the melody and arrangement of a song, but it seems like there's actually more to it. And of course that you can get songwriting credits despite not having written a single word within the process of creating a song.

Thanks for the Gaga/Lipa example. It was explained well and now I get a better impression of what songwriting and production credits actually mean. So every song's production credits starts from scratch, irrespective of whether it features 100 samples or not, while the songwriting credits include the writers of those 100 samples, am I right?
                Last edited by theMathematician; Wed December 2, 2020, 20:50.

Comment

• Cool and Pretty Please are really those girls phew

BEAUTY IS A MUST, TALENT IS A PLUS
                  98 - OUT

Comment

Thanks for the answer! I never really thought deeply about what a producer does and assumed that he'd mostly be responsible for creating the melody and arrangement of a song, but it seems like there's actually more to it. And of course that you can get songwriting credits despite not having written a single word within the process of creating a song.

Thanks for the Gaga/Lipa example. It was explained well and now I get a better impression of what songwriting and production credits actually mean. So every song's production credits starts from scratch, irrespective of whether it features 100 samples or not, while the songwriting credits include the writers of those 100 samples, am I right?
                    Well songwriting is not just lyrics. Melody is intrinsic to songwriting. Lyrics without melody is just prose. Of course if you write the melody and music of a song you get a songwriters credit - you wrote it. Songwriting is lyrics and melody. If you are involved in either you are the songwriter. For example Mariah Carey and Walter Afasanieffs partnership. Generally Mariah wrote her lyrics and created melodies with Walter who then wrote the music. They BOTH have songwriting credits. Back in the 90s, things used to be given more detail so you would see in the album booklet Lyrics by Mariah Carey, Music by Mariah Carey & Walter Afasanieff. These days anyone who is involved in either lyrics, melody or music are all just credited together.

Arrangement is production.

Yes, exactly. Unless anyone from the sampled work happens to be involved in the production of the NEW track. In which case they will also be credited on the production side.

Comment

• Originally posted by aRat View Post
                      Cool and Pretty Please are really those girls phew

Dua looks hot in that pic. I would.

Comment

Dua looks hot in that pic. I would.
                        Sure home of sexual
                        98 - OUT

Comment

• Maria walking past her discography:

98 - OUT

Comment

• Originally posted by aRat View Post
                            Maria walking past her discography:

So GOAT is the buried treasure?
                            Originally posted by beredy
                            When people see your post this is what they see:

GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT.

Comment

• Originally posted by DnBLover View Post
                              My knees getting weak and my gun might blow but we gon' be alright.

Kendrick is a genius. GOAT

Goldmoney what's your opinion on the rap GOAT?
                              Good for ‘10s standards but he wouldn’t make my all-time top 10. I have yet to see him produce anything like this:
                              Originally posted by beredy
                              When people see your post this is what they see:

GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT.

Comment

• Originally posted by Goldmoney View Post
                                So GOAT is the buried treasure?
                                That + GODbsessed + Giving Gheys Life

98 - OUT

Comment

• theMathematician I know you like country music, have you heard this country artist, currently at no 1 on itunes US with his song " Dicked down in Dallas "
                                  The artist is Trey Lewis.

The lyrics are hillarious

Comment

• I'm still busy with my tax class, but I'll give it a quick spin and edit my opinion of it in here.

EDIT: I recently wrote a song that serves as an ode to the behind area, but compared to that song, mine sounds pretty innocent ^^ . It reminds me, musically speaking, of something Brantley Gilbert or Eric Church would've released a couple of years ago. The lyrics are pretty straight-forward, but in most cases, I'm a fan of songs with a 3rd verse/c-part or anything - coming from 2nd to 3rd chorus instantly always seems kind of lazy to me. Within the country genre, I prefer either the more traditional or the pop-leaning songs. Country rock definitely depends on the song, and this song is OK, but nothing I'd be crazy about - so pretty much in the 5/10 area.
                                    Last edited by theMathematician; Thu December 3, 2020, 02:47.

Comment

I'm still busy with my tax class, but I'll give it a quick spin and edit my opinion of it in here.

EDIT: I recently wrote a song that serves as an ode to the behind area, but compared to that song, mine sounds pretty innocent ^^ . It reminds me, musically speaking, of something Brantley Gilbert or Eric Church would've released a couple of years ago. The lyrics are pretty straight-forward, but in most cases, I'm a fan of songs with a 3rd verse/c-part or anything - coming from 2nd to 3rd chorus instantly always seems kind of lazy to me. Within the country genre, I prefer either the more traditional or the pop-leaning songs. Country rock definitely depends on the song, and this song is OK, but nothing I'd be crazy about - so pretty much in the 5/10 area.
                                      Don't know much about this guy but he is a tic toc sensation according to the internet.

Comment

• Good to know, I guess ^^ .

Do you know the No Angels, InFamous ? They're Germany's biggest girlband. They broke up years ago and they got a recent internet hype due to their songs being allowed to be listed on streaming platforms now. 4 of the former members are very nostalgic about their time as a band, they still have close contact with each other, and while none of them confirm an official comeback, you can tell that at least they wouldn't mind it. Major problem: The 5th former member basically cut with the entertaining industry and is into academia now. Theoretically, the other 4 could do a comeback on their own and as you know me, I'd always say 'Stay together, even if the big success is over! Do it for the fans!'. I just don't get how you could build up such a big brand only to leave it unused.

Comment

• Beyoncé is so cute .. she congratulated Britney for her birthday on her official website.

Icons support Icons. My two favorite female artists from that specific generation
                                          Rock lives forever: Led Zeppelin . Metallica . Pink Floyd . Nirvana . Radiohead . Pearl Jam . Oasis . Iron Maiden . Nine Inch Nails
                                          Approved Popstars: Michael Jackson . Madonna . Britney Spears . Beyoncé . Rihanna

Comment

Good to know, I guess ^^ .

Do you know the No Angels, InFamous ? They're Germany's biggest girlband. They broke up years ago and they got a recent internet hype due to their songs being allowed to be listed on streaming platforms now. 4 of the former members are very nostalgic about their time as a band, they still have close contact with each other, and while none of them confirm an official comeback, you can tell that at least they wouldn't mind it. Major problem: The 5th former member basically cut with the entertaining industry and is into academia now. Theoretically, the other 4 could do a comeback on their own and as you know me, I'd always say 'Stay together, even if the big success is over! Do it for the fans!'. I just don't get how you could build up such a big brand only to leave it unused.
                                            A lot of girl groups get back together and some do ok, some not ok. I guess it remains to be seen if "No Angels" reform and how they are welcomed back if they do.

Comment

• You're right. What seems to be the main problem in (girl)bands is conflicts between the members, e.g. out of jealousy. In their case, that's (fortunately) not an issue. I guess the recipe of let's say All Saints, Backstreet Boys or Steps is that they take everything from now on as a plus instead of having to live up to expectations of the past. The interest in music and entertaining seems to in the center, not necessarily breaking records and reaching top placements on the chart. And still, they achieve more together than on their own.
                                              Last edited by theMathematician; Thu December 3, 2020, 10:15.

Comment

• Spotify: The Top Ten Most Streamed Female Artists Of 2020, Globally.

1) Billie Eilish
                                                2) Taylor Swift
                                                3) Ariana Grande
                                                4) Dua Lipa
                                                5) Halsey
                                                6 ) Lady Gaga
                                                7) Nicki Minaj
                                                8) Rihanna
                                                9) Camila Cabello
                                                10) Selena Gomez
                                                11) Doja Cat
                                                12) Beyonce
                                                13) Karol G
                                                14) Katy Perry
                                                15) Megan Thee Stallion
                                                16) Cardi B
                                                17) Sia
                                                18) Ava Max
                                                19) Tones & I
                                                20) Lana Del Rey

List pertaining to 2020, just released yesterday. All the big names are there really. I dunno if people would be surprised that Adele isn't ?

Comment

Spotify: The Top Ten Most Streamed Female Artists Of 2020, Globally.

1) Billie Eilish
                                                  2) Taylor Swift
                                                  3) Ariana Grande
                                                  4) Dua Lipa
                                                  5) Halsey
                                                  6 ) Lady Gaga
                                                  7) Nicki Minaj
                                                  8) Rihanna
                                                  9) Camila Cabello
                                                  10) Selena Gomez
                                                  11) Doja Cat
                                                  12) Beyonce
                                                  13) Karol G
                                                  14) Katy Perry
                                                  15) Megan Thee Stallion
                                                  16) Cardi B
                                                  17) Sia
                                                  18) Ava Max
                                                  19) Tones & I
                                                  20) Lana Del Rey

List pertaining to 2020, just released yesterday. All the big names are there really. I dunno if people would be surprised that Adele isn't ?
                                                  No dusty divas in sight why?
                                                  98 - OUT

Comment

• The Most Streamed Female Artists On Spotify Global Per Year: 2012 Onward.

1) Rihanna

2) Nicki Minaj

3) Adele

4) Lana Del Rey

5) Katy Perry

6) Carly Rae Jepsen

7) Beyonce

8) Taylor Swift

9) Loreen

10) Kelly Clarkson

1) Rihanna

2) Lana Del Rey

3) Pink

4) Katy Perry

5) Taylor Swift

6) Miley Cyrus

7) Ellie Goulding

8) Beyonce

9) Florence + The Machine

10) Lady Gaga

1) Katy Perry

2) Ariana Grande

3) Lana Del Rey

4) Beyonce

5) Lorde

6) Rihanna

7) Iggy Izelea

8) Nicki Minaj

9) Shakira

10) Miley Cyrus

1) Rihanna

2) Ariana Grande

3) Nicki Minaj

4) Beyonce

5) Ellie Goulding

6) Shakira

7) Selena Gomez

8) Demi Lovato

9) Katy Perry

10) Alessia Cara

1) Rihanna

2) Ariana Grande

3) Sia

4) Adele

5) Fifth Harmony

6) Beyonce

7) Ellie Goulding

8) Lana Del Rey

9) Selena Gomez

10) Meghan Trainor

1) Rihanna

2) Taylor Swift

3) Selena Gomez

4) Ariana Grande

5) Sia

6) Shakira

7) Dua Lipa

8) Nicki Minaj

9) Katy Perry

10) Alessia Cara

1) Ariana Grande

2) Dua Lipa

3) Cardi B

4) Taylor Swift

5) Camila Cabello

6) Rihanna

7) Sia

8) Demi Lovato

9) Nicki Minaj

10) Selena Gomez

1) Billie Eilish

2) Ariana Grande

3) Taylor Swift

4) Camila Cabello

5) Halsey

6) Lady Gaga

7) Beyonce

8) Rihanna

9) Cardi B

10) Dua Lipa

1) Billie Eilish

2) Taylor Swift

3) Ariana Grande

4) Dua Lipa

5) Halsey

6) Lady Gaga

7) Nicki Minaj

8) Rihanna

9) Camila Cabello

10) Selena Gomez

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Rihanna really shot herself in the knee by retiring from musique. Before that she was absolutely dominating Spotify but now she gets overtaken by bland girls like Tayloo, Billie and Ariana
                                                    98 - OUT

Comment

Working...
                                                    X