Pop Talk - General Music Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by LotsOfLove View Post
    Hey I have a question to those who still buy and play physical cds.

What do you use to play them? My radio is old and I'd like to get a new one for Christmas but I've been actually questioning myself what the offer looks like right now. Are there still radios available that also play cd's?

Which one do you recommend? Thanks in advance
    I only play CD's on our BluRay player.
    My Instagram... - Click here

Comment

• One of the most famous Dutch Christmas songs is "Flappie" about a rabbit that ends up being the Christmas dish...
      I can't decide if it is funny or sad.

But anyway, it was released in 1985, but I never expected it to get an English translation by no one else than Todd Rundgren.

Comment

• What kind of person writes a Christmas song about a mother murdering her childs pet behind his back to make a meal for Christmas.
        Zero tolerance for : bigotry, racism, wilful ignorance.
        Pronouns: He / Him

Comment

• DUA LIPA - RIHANNA - THE WEEKND - DOJA CAT
          98 - OUT

Comment

• Originally posted by InFamous View Post
            aRat Dua made it to no 5 on my artist list - the amount of times I spammed FN when it first came out during lockdown 1
            King
            DUA LIPA - RIHANNA - THE WEEKND - DOJA CAT
            98 - OUT

Comment

• Ava Max is rumored to release a new collab with Drake titled, “As Good As It Gets."

Xtina / Nathy Peluso / Rosalía / Nina Simone / Lauren Hill

Comment

• Originally posted by LotsOfLove View Post
                Hey I have a question to those who still buy and play physical cds.

What do you use to play them? My radio is old and I'd like to get a new one for Christmas but I've been actually questioning myself what the offer looks like right now. Are there still radios available that also play cd's?

Which one do you recommend? Thanks in advance
                I play my CDs on a CD player or in my car by sliding the CD into the CD slot.

-------

@Germany: The top 2 already consists of the 2 biggest holiday songs 3 weeks ahead of Christmas ? I fear that we'll get to see those 2 songs building the top 2 for the next 20 years or something if no magic happens :/ .

-----

Originally posted by likeidogoldlink View Post
                Ava Max is rumored to release a new collab with Drake titled, “As Good As It Gets."

Ava Max, without a doubt, has got the messiest management of all major artists at the moment.
                Last edited by theMathematician; Fri December 4, 2020, 22:45.
                Pro: freedom of speech
                Contra: cancel culture

Comment

• German chart to count airplay next week

The aim of the Official German Top 100 Single Charts is to depict music usage in all its facets. Therefore, since December 2020, the points achieved in the Top 300 of the Official German Airplay Charts have been added to the Official German Top 100 Single Charts.
                  The chart points resulting from the determination of the weekly Airplaycharts (see 17. Determination of the Airplaycharts) are added to the single charts as follows.
                  The value of an airplay chart point is calculated from the average value of a broadcast minute multiplied by the average duration of the title *.
                  In contrast to other sources of music usage, the radio listener usually has no direct influence on which music is played on the radio. Therefore, when calculating the chart value for an airplay chart point above, this passivity of use is also taken into account in the formula.
                  The Airplaychart points are taken into account according to the following calculation:
                  Airplaychart points x value of an Airplaychart point in €
                  * This value is checked every six months by the charter investigator and adjusted if necessary.
                  Omg my prayers were heard! Duanal cumming to score top 5 smash after top 5 smash. Stomp stomp. Suddenly the german charts are not useless anymore.

98 - OUT

Comment

• Most Streamed Female Artists in Latin America (international ones in brackets):

Thots MrLeonix
                    98 - OUT

Comment

• Originally posted by InFamous View Post
                      What kind of person writes a Christmas song about a mother murdering her childs pet behind his back to make a meal for Christmas.
                      A person trying to be funny, the original is from a comedian (whom i never found funny anyways)
                      ​​​​​​
                      ​​​​​​

Comment

• Originally posted by aRat View Post

Physical was also my 11th most played song of the year
                        I guess I never bothered to skip it when I listened to FN.

Cool was my 7th most played song of the year I always repeated Cool at least three times every listen.

Comment

• Originally posted by theMathematician View Post

@Germany: The top 2 already consists of the 2 biggest holiday songs 3 weeks ahead of Christmas ? I fear that we'll get to see those 2 songs building the top 2 for the next 20 years or something if no magic happens :/ .
                          so you are against... a chart that reflects what is most played, streamed, sold in terms of revenue? what is you solution? Only make your favs chart?
                          My Chart

Comment

Omg my prayers were heard! Duanal cumming to score top 5 smash after top 5 smash. Stomp stomp. Suddenly the german charts are not useless anymore.

well... try getting 20 #1's in 3 years like Capital Bra... #Beatles outsold.

My Chart

Comment

Most Streamed Female Artists in Latin America (international ones in brackets):

Thots MrLeonix
                              It’s accurate .. I hear Dua Lipa 24/7 here on radio, TV, stores, etc. She’s been played like crazy here.

Global act!
                              Rock lives forever: Led Zeppelin . Metallica . Pink Floyd . Nirvana . Radiohead . Pearl Jam . Oasis . Iron Maiden . Nine Inch Nails
                              Approved Popstars: Michael Jackson . Madonna . Britney Spears . Beyoncé . Rihanna

Comment

• Originally posted by stevyy View Post

so you are against... a chart that reflects what is most played, streamed, sold in terms of revenue? what is you solution? Only make your favs chart?
                                To be honest (and hope you appreciate honesty), I haven't found an optimal solution for that issue. Maybe artists need to push harder to release new interesting material, so people are busier listening to those songs than to the same type of songs for consecutive decades.

Comment

To be honest (and hope you appreciate honesty), I haven't found an optimal solution for that issue. Maybe artists need to push harder to release new interesting material, so people are busier listening to those songs than to the same type of songs for consecutive decades.
                                  Isn't it fitting for the time of year to listen to Christmas music? We have enough other months to listen to new music.

Comment

• Originally posted by RayRay View Post

Isn't it fitting for the time of year to listen to Christmas music? We have enough other months to listen to new music.
                                    New Christmas music? Yes! The same few kind of songs like 'All I Want For Christmas', 'Last Christmas' and 'Wonderful Dreams' though? Not so much. And even then - there's a difference between one and eight Christmas songs in the top 10.
                                    Last edited by theMathematician; Sat December 5, 2020, 23:23.

Comment

New Christmas music? Yes! The same few kind of songs like 'All I Want For Christmas', 'Last Christmas' and 'Wonderful Dreams' though? Not so much. And eve then - there's a difference between one and eight Christmas songs in the top 10.
                                      I think it's great how classics are not forgotten. I love to check out new Christmas music as well though.
                                      And there can never be such a thing as too many Christmas songs in the charts.

Comment

King
                                        She was my #3

Comment

• I'm really happy that i live in a country where Christmas doesn't exist. It would be unbearable hearing all those songs everywhere

Comment

• LOLLL, I feel this puppy. I get this way when I forget to charge my phone and so Spotify cuts out.

Comment

• Originally posted by MrLeonix View Post
                                              Primary Act - Immediate successor(s):

Barbra Streisand (multi-media star) - Cher - Lady Gaga

Britney Spears (Pop America’s Sweetheart) - Pop Taylor Swift

Diana Ross (Exotic hitmaker) - Donna Summer - Rihanna
                                              I’m not sure about these ones. Barbra and Cher both came into the industry at the same time so I don’t really know how Cher can be seen as Barbra’s successor. I’d argue Bette Midler is more Barbra’s successor and they actually both had similar career trajectories (starting out in gay clubs, moving to music, then Broadway then film).

I’m not convinced Lady Gaga is Cher’s successor either. I get why you’ve grouped them together, it just feels very forced - primarily because Cher was always an entertainer that could sing, whereas Gaga has always been an artist (writing her own work etc). The only way to group them is the fact they’ve had #1 and an Oscar, which feel too contrived.

I really dislike Taylor as Britney’s successor but frankly, I can’t think of another name. Aside from being sweethearts, their careers have nothing in common and are very different types of artist. Taylor is a better fit for Shania (who also went pop and mainstream, before illness took over) whereas Miley is possibly a better fit for Britney’s successor - and they both started out on Disney.

In what way is Diana Ross an exotic hit maker? She was always a glamour diva (which is how Motown marketed the Supremes). I don’t disagree on Donna Summer, but Rihanna is not a modern day Diana nor Donna.
                                              Words are useless, especially sentences.
                                              they don’t stand for anything.
                                              How could they explain how I feel?

Comment

New Christmas music? Yes! The same few kind of songs like 'All I Want For Christmas', 'Last Christmas' and 'Wonderful Dreams' though? Not so much. And eve then - there's a difference between one and eight Christmas songs in the top 10.

Words are useless, especially sentences.
                                                they don’t stand for anything.
                                                How could they explain how I feel?

Comment

• Katy looking and sounding amazing after the birth of her daughter.
                                                  New performance of Only Love from the UNICEF Changemaker 2020 benefit.

Comment

• Originally posted by menime123 View Post
                                                    I really dislike Taylor as Britney’s successor but frankly, I can’t think of another name. Aside from being sweethearts, their careers have nothing in common and are very different types of artist. Taylor is a better fit for Shania (who also went pop and mainstream, before illness took over) whereas Miley is possibly a better fit for Britney’s successor - and they both started out on Disney.
                                                    Many people say Miley or Selena but I don’t see the parallel (other than they started on Disney)

Selena? .. first, she’s latina and black haired. For that alone she already has nothing in common with Britney. Second her success and impact / dominance seems limited compared to what Britney achieved.

Miley? ... Great vocalist, high notes, good vocal range (Britney not really) who has experimented and re-invented with every era: Pop, Hip Hop, Alternative, Country, Rock , etc (Britney hasn’t changed that much) ... very different stars IMO. Miley is not a Britney. Not to mention Miley’s success and dominance doesn’t compare to what Britney achieved either.

Taylor Swift (pop version) by being an all white blonde American girl who did very conventional pure pop songs with EXTREME coverage, success and impact in America (having also worked to shift that pop sound with Max Martin and visuals with Joseph Kahn) and being an America’s Sweetheart is the closest thing we’ve had to what Britney experienced in America during her prime.
                                                    Last edited by MrLeonix; Sat December 5, 2020, 16:58.
                                                    Rock lives forever: Led Zeppelin . Metallica . Pink Floyd . Nirvana . Radiohead . Pearl Jam . Oasis . Iron Maiden . Nine Inch Nails
                                                    Approved Popstars: Michael Jackson . Madonna . Britney Spears . Beyoncé . Rihanna

Comment

Working...
                                                    X