Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• theMathematician
    replied
    Good point, actually, Hejira . I'm almost certain that her reputation has been like this only since 'I'm Not Dead'. She had massive success with that era in Australia and was also doing well in Europe, so she must've thought like 'Apparently, I'm doing something right.'. During 'M!ssundaztood', she's still marketed as the Anti-Britney, and during 'Try This', she was at her career's most edgiest point and therefore didn't care much about mass-accessibility.

Leave a comment:

• RayRay
    replied
    Originally posted by Hejira View Post

Yeah and honestly..let's just say that those kind of artists are the opposite of a niche kind of following certain artists have where the people who come to see them are bonafide fans who know all the songs and all the albums.
    I would want to go see someone who's name might not be known to everyone, but when I go see them I'm in a room with fans and we all know every random song that comes along.
    With Pink it's just, people who LOVE a certain song from her, or they seen a great performance...and they're curious. They want to see her! And she delivers I'm sure.
    So her reputation is just always up in that way...she makes sure that whatever she does that will be visible to the masses will be accessible.
    The funny thing is, when colleagues of mine went to see P!nk, they couldn't understand I didn't. "You are such a music fan!" "You love female singers!" "You like her songs, don't you?!" Yes, yes, yes, but I only like some of the hits, so I have no interest in seeing a whole concert. They don't understand.

Leave a comment:

• Hejira
    replied
    Originally posted by RayRay View Post

This. I know people who went to her concert(s). Usually people who are not into stanning for an artist. But somehow P!nk, Robbie Williams, U2 and to a certain degree Celine Dion, are totally accepted to be cool to listen to and go see in concert.
    Yeah and honestly..let's just say that those kind of artists are the opposite of a niche kind of following certain artists have where the people who come to see them are bonafide fans who know all the songs and all the albums.
    I would want to go see someone who's name might not be known to everyone, but when I go see them I'm in a room with fans and we all know every random song that comes along.
    With Pink it's just, people who LOVE a certain song from her, or they seen a great performance...and they're curious. They want to see her! And she delivers I'm sure.
    So her reputation is just always up in that way...she makes sure that whatever she does that will be visible to the masses will be accessible.
    Last edited by Hejira; Wed May 6, 2020, 22:24.

Leave a comment:

• RayRay
    replied

She's quite an enigma in the way that...you'll meet people and they'll say "Ugh I love Pink" but they can't name more then 3 songs they love from her.
    She speaks to people in some kind of way, she seems like a very nice and relatable person, she had some very good tv performances, her tours have a great reputation...And somehow her first singles are hits.
    She's kind of like Celine Dion in a way...the way people respond to them and how they operate.
    This. I know people who went to her concert(s). Usually people who are not into stanning for an artist. But somehow P!nk, Robbie Williams, U2 and to a certain degree Celine Dion, are totally accepted to be cool to listen to and go see in concert.

Leave a comment:

• RayRay
    replied
    Originally posted by jio View Post
    Who is Micaela? lol
    Never heard of her before La Isla Bonita nor since. But she covered it before Madonna released it as a single. Back in early 1986 there were even rumors that Madonna didn't want to release her own version as she thought it wouldn't be succesful as Micaela already had a hit with it. Luckily Madonna's version was released and made it a much bigger hit than Micaela did.

I did buy Micaela's single though.

Leave a comment:

• Hejira
    replied
    Originally posted by Rihab View Post
    It's a mystery to me how P!nk has managed to stay successful for so many years despite zero evolution in her sound.

It's especially surprising because she doesn't seem to have much of a base who's super excited about her. Do P!nk stans even exist? Somehow an ounce of interest from the gp is enough to keep her going.
    She's quite an enigma in the way that...you'll meet people and they'll say "Ugh I love Pink" but they can't name more then 3 songs they love from her.
    She speaks to people in some kind of way, she seems like a very nice and relatable person, she had some very good tv performances, her tours have a great reputation...And somehow her first singles are hits.
    She's kind of like Celine Dion in a way...the way people respond to them and how they operate.

Leave a comment:

• MrLeonix
    replied
    Originally posted by Rihab View Post
    It's a mystery to me how P!nk has managed to stay successful for so many years despite zero evolution in her sound.

It's especially surprising because she doesn't seem to have much of a base who's super excited about her. Do P!nk stans even exist? Somehow an ounce of interest from the gp is enough to keep her going.
    The thing with P!nk is that she is a very successful singer but not necessarily a huge superstar, she doesn’t cause much media interest, paparazzis never follow her, she only has like 7 million followers on Instagrams, she barely makes headlines, etc.

In terms of media and celebrity power she’s far behind J.Lo and Beyoncé and she’s never treated with the same iconic status of Britney.

However P!nk (like Katy Perry before her fall) simply appealed to the GP who bought her formulaic albums massively and went to her concerts.

it’s weird because she’s very massive but there’s never been like a sensation or fascination towards her. Her success is very silent but I think she’s very cool, I’m glad she survived for that long and so good in the business.

Leave a comment:

• theMathematician
    replied
    @Rihab: In Germany, female artists with a 'sexy' image tend to be less successful than in other countries. The Germans love ones with a tough and self-confident image and P!nk used to represent that. Same for acts like Amy MacDonald or Anastacia. That's why it's not considered 'embarassing' for a guy to admit to like her music in public.
    Why P!nk is still doing well after all these years? She's popular with the general audience: Even though 'Hurts 2 B Human' wasn't that much of a hit, I still heard its singles on the radio all the time. A big part of her target audience are in the 40s, buy her records in the record store, go to her concert with the partner, etc. Once you appeal to that group of people, you've got outsold concerts and album certifications a given for years to come, ask Andrea Berg or Herbert Grönemeyer.
    Last edited by theMathematician; Wed May 6, 2020, 22:05.

Leave a comment:

• Rihab
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Hejira
    replied
    Originally posted by MrLeonix View Post

I do think her music was connected to her vision in the sense that she released the type of songs and music she wanted to do. It’s just that she felt too comfortable with it and never really changed releasing the same music over and over again in consequence. She just has a formula and close to cero level of experimentation.
    Yeah I think you're very right.

Leave a comment:

• jio
    replied
    Who is Micaela? lol

Leave a comment:

• theMathematician
    replied
    Same when a gossip- or music-related question comes up on 'Who wants to be a millionaire?'. And the candidates always struggle with them .

Leave a comment:

• stevyy
    replied
    Originally posted by RayRay View Post
    So I had some real live pop talk today. There were two service enigeers (for our central heating) at our house today. I guess they were in their late 40s. Madonna's La Isla Bonita came up on the radio and they started to partly sing along. Then one told the other how it was originally by another singer, but that Madonna stole the song. So I told them it was the other way round: how Madonna released the song on her own LP, but Micaela released it as a single first, and Madonna released it as a single after her, but that it was still actually Madonna's song. Then one said, wasn't that in the late 80s? So I said: "In 1986 to be precise." And they were like: "How do you know all these things?"
    Later on one of them came downstairs to connect something in the living room and I put on Mariah's Dreamlover, just to see if he would know the song. And yes, he started to partly sing along.
    This made my day.
    I love these conversations. Whenever I am with friends and I randomly bring up trivia like these, their mouths are open in disbelief. I also always win in the game "buzz" because I always know everything pop-related.

Leave a comment:

• RayRay
    replied
    So I had some real live pop talk today. There were two service enigeers (for our central heating) at our house today. I guess they were in their late 40s. Madonna's La Isla Bonita came up on the radio and they started to partly sing along. Then one told the other how it was originally by another singer, but that Madonna stole the song. So I told them it was the other way round: how Madonna released the song on her own LP, but Micaela released it as a single first, and Madonna released it as a single after her, but that it was still actually Madonna's song. Then one said, wasn't that in the late 80s? So I said: "In 1986 to be precise." And they were like: "How do you know all these things?"
    Later on one of them came downstairs to connect something in the living room and I put on Mariah's Dreamlover, just to see if he would know the song. And yes, he started to partly sing along.
    This made my day.

Leave a comment:

• InFamous
    replied

I do think her music was connected to her vision in the sense that she released the type of songs and music she wanted to do. It’s just that she felt too comfortable with it and never really changed releasing the same music over and over again in consequence. She just has a formula and close to cero level of experimentation.
    Why would she change when she continued to have success with that sound. I mean she had two top 20 hits in 2016/17 in the US and its only with the last album that she has kinda dropped away in terms of success, and the album still managed to reach no 1.

Leave a comment:

• MrLeonix
    replied

I'm starting to wonder if she ever had vision at all. Her music never reflects what she has to say in interviews about being an artist.
    She had her debut which was rooted in r&b en then she dropped "Missundaztood" as the obvious rebelling sophomore...her 3rd album was her most risky to date, but that flopped and then she took the "Missundaztood" formula and dropped her tightest album with "I'm not dead. And after that she just kept repeating and repeating and became blander and blander. So there really never was a clear artistic vision. She chose the right singles and focused on her performing skills, but her music really never was connected.

Leave a comment:

• Hejira
    replied

Say that to P!nk
    I'm starting to wonder if she ever had vision at all. Her music never reflects what she has to say in interviews about being an artist.
    She had her debut which was rooted in r&b en then she dropped "Missundaztood" as the obvious rebelling sophomore...her 3rd album was her most risky to date, but that flopped and then she took the "Missundaztood" formula and dropped her tightest album with "I'm not dead. And after that she just kept repeating and repeating and became blander and blander. So there really never was a clear artistic vision. She chose the right singles and focused on her performing skills, but her music really never was connected.

Leave a comment:

• MrLeonix
    replied
    Originally posted by BeeBoy View Post
    But you won't be on top of you release the same music over and over.
    Say that to P!nk

Leave a comment:

• BeeBoy
    replied
    Originally posted by Colbie View Post
    ... Becouse women have to reinvent themselves all the time in order to stay successful/relevant
    That's the industry yes. It's not fair but it's true.

Leave a comment:

• Colbie
    replied
    ... Becouse women have to reinvent themselves all the time in order to stay successful/relevant

Leave a comment:

• BeeBoy
    replied
    Girls that Partition/Pour It Up was a joke stop wetting your pants. IMO she should not release another When We Were Young, Hello, Someone Like You, All I Ask, Make You Feel My Love. And I'm sure she won't. See you when she's ready

Leave a comment:

• jio
    replied
    As if everybody else is being doing radically different things all the time...

Leave a comment:

• BeeBoy
    replied
    It's not because she is skinny. At least not in my opinion. But you won't be on top of you release the same music over and over. And I feel like she is over it herself, she said it herself many times: She is in a totally different place tha she was with 21. I'm ready for a RITD/ SMLTYNL uptempo. Imagine her on something like Dua's Love Again. Maybe she should cover it if aRats fave doesn't want that 20 weeks #1 herself

Leave a comment:

• Hejira
    replied
    Why would she suddenly need to shift her musical identity because she's skinny now? That idea angers me honestly. She's still the same person she was before, she only weighs less and might look more appealing to the masses. If with that change comes a complete new "popular" sound how can anyone take her serious anymore?
    I've never been a fan but atleast she has some kind of artistic identity and a sound that fits with her.

Leave a comment:

• DnBLover
    replied
    Originally posted by BeeBoy View Post
    She's ready for her Partition and Pour It Up

Leave a comment:

Working...
X