X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MrLeonix
    replied
    Originally posted by InFamous View Post
    However in the US they certify on shipments not sales so albums are over way over certified while actually sitting on shelves or being dumped into bargain bins.
    Yes but there are also plenty of cases of artists who have a certain album certified lower to what it actually sold (undercertified).
    Last edited by MrLeonix; Sat May 2, 2020, 02:52.

Leave a comment:

• InFamous
    replied
    Originally posted by stevyy View Post

I've been saying this for years... If you want to know what acts actually shipped in the USA, you cannot and must not use the RIAA as it is NEVER accurate. Miss Janet for example is certified for half what she has sold in the USA... which is ... like 50%. OMG
    Using shipping to determine sales figures is not particularly accurate either in my opinion.To me a sale is from a record store or online store to a consumer, not from a warehouse to a recordstore as the US uses.

Leave a comment:

• TIfan
    replied
    RIAA has made more money these last 15 years than they've made in the past. I doubt they would want to do automatic certifications.

But I think they should let the label know if their artists are eligible for a new cert and the label pays for the cert.

Leave a comment:

• InFamous
    replied
    Originally posted by MrLeonix View Post

On top of that they suffer from the exact same issue you described about the UK certs (in fact any cert system around the world suffer from this). A song can be certified 2x Platinum in US for sales of 2,9 million, meaning 900K won't be counted.

So double shame on USA, at least the UK certs are automatic and updated on point.
    Yea its kinda dumb really, an artist could have half their sales discounted. I mean surely they should be able to keep track of actual sales as well as certified units. I mean everyone knows Madonna sold the most singles in the UK in actual units.

However in the US they certify on shipments not sales so albums are over way over certified while actually sitting on shelves or being dumped into bargain bins.

Leave a comment:

• stevyy
    replied
    The UK automatic certification system is actually great or at least miles better than in the USA where there are songs eligible up to 5x Platinum certification yet they are NOT certified at all because their labels haven't asked and paid the RIAA for the certification
    I've been saying this for years... If you want to know what acts actually shipped in the USA, you cannot and must not use the RIAA as it is NEVER accurate. Miss Janet for example is certified for half what she has sold in the USA... which is ... like 50%. OMG

Leave a comment:

• TIfan
    replied
    The Queen of Music. The Queen of Visuals!!!!

Leave a comment:

• MrLeonix
    replied

That's the labels fault, they know how it works.
    On top of that they suffer from the exact same issue you described about the UK certs (in fact any cert system around the world suffer from this). A song can be certified 2x Platinum in US for sales of 2,9 million, meaning 900K won't be counted.

So double shame on USA, at least the UK certs are automatic and updated on point.

Leave a comment:

• InFamous
    replied
    The UK automatic certification system is actually great or at least miles better than in the USA where there are songs eligible up to 5x Platinum certification yet they are NOT certified at all because their labels haven't asked and paid the RIAA for the certification
    That's the labels fault, they know how it works.

Leave a comment:

• MrLeonix
    replied

Leave a comment:

• BeeBoy
    replied

Yeah I think the system is kinda lame to be honest, I mean if a single has sold 1.1 million copies only 600k of them are counted. Unless it somehow reaches the level of 1.2 million to be certified at the next level. Like if it sold 1.1 million copies, those sales should ALL be counted when talking about peoples sales. Like someone could have 20 singles that sold 190, 000 copies each and according to BPI they will have a 0 after their name.
    Yeah but most of the time that's the only official number we have

Leave a comment:

• BeeBoy
    replied

OMG you finally agree with me on something. You just made my night man
    I drank a bottle of red wine i'm glad i can still read

Leave a comment:

• InFamous
    replied
    Originally posted by Rihab View Post
    that makes sense, thanks
    Yeah I think the system is kinda lame to be honest, I mean if a single has sold 1.1 million copies only 600k of them are counted. Unless it somehow reaches the level of 1.2 million to be certified at the next level. Like if it sold 1.1 million copies, those sales should ALL be counted when talking about peoples sales. Like someone could have 20 singles that sold 190, 000 copies each and according to BPI they will have a 0 after their name.

Leave a comment:

• Rihab
    replied

Madonna has probably loads of singles that are like between certification levels so I am sure she has sold far more than Beyonce in actual sales, but they are talking about certified units in that. So for example imagine Madonna sold 500,000 copies of a song, in certified units that is only going to be certified GOLD, which is 400, 000 so basically when they talk about certified units Madonna has 100,000 sales from that song that will not be counted in her total. And so on.
    that makes sense, thanks

Leave a comment:

• InFamous
    replied
    Originally posted by BeeBoy View Post
    Yes that's accurate
    OMG you finally agree with me on something. You just made my night man

Leave a comment:

• BeeBoy
    replied
    Yes that's accurate

Leave a comment:

• InFamous
    replied
    Originally posted by BeeBoy View Post
    Sales certification is automatic in the UK. Then someone is editing Wiki. You can check the database for yourself
    Those automatic certifications can mean loads of sales fall by the wayside. See the example I gave above.

Leave a comment:

• InFamous
    replied

Wikipedia says Madonna is #1 with 29 Million and Rih #2 with 27 Million..? *SoWhatIsTheTruth.gif*
    Madonna has probably loads of singles that are like between certification levels so I am sure she has sold far more than Beyonce in actual sales, but they are talking about certified units in that. So for example imagine Madonna sold 500,000 copies of a song, in certified units that is only going to be certified GOLD, which is 400, 000 so basically when they talk about certified units Madonna has 100,000 sales from that song that will not be counted in her total. And so on.

Leave a comment:

• RayRay
    replied
    Originally posted by TIfan View Post
    Wait... how has Ariana sold 14.6 million single units in UK??? Is she that big over there?
    Ever since the suicide bombing at her concert in Manchester, she is more popular than ever over there.

Leave a comment:

• InFamous
    replied
    Originally posted by beredy View Post

For charting purposes all versions of song are combined and the streams are counted as one. The version with the biggest amount of points is credited on the chart.
    I know versions are combined when it comes to the charts. but for SPOTFIY purposes they are NOT combined.

Leave a comment:

• BeeBoy
    replied
    Sales certification is automatic in the UK. Then someone is editing Wiki. You can check the database for yourself

Leave a comment:

• Rihab
    replied

Based on singles only certification I'm sure Rih is ahead Madonna's singles certs.
    Pretty sure the numbers I posted are singles only, because with albums Rih is at 39 Million units.

Leave a comment:

• BeeBoy
    replied
    It's single sales only as the post says.

Leave a comment:

• MrLeonix
    replied

Wikipedia says Madonna is #1 with 29 Million and Rih #2 with 27 Million..? *SoWhatIsTheTruth.gif*
    Based on singles only certification I'm sure Rih is ahead Madonna's singles certs.

Leave a comment:

• Rihab
    replied
    Rih

Leave a comment:

• MrLeonix
    replied
    Originally posted by TIfan View Post
    Wait... how has Ariana sold 14.6 million single units in UK??? Is she that big over there?
    Yes. Ariana is basically a streaming queen (massive) so she gets a lot of streaming equivalent units for her singles in many markets, in consequence she's a huge singles act in UK.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X