X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thriller
    replied
    Originally posted by TIfan View Post
    … And that concludes this week's episode of I Hate That Female Artist.
    Remember, next week episode will include more women who have sold millions of records around the globe, won major awards, and had many hits but will still have people to question her every move. Meanwhile, male artist can get away with being below average on a daily. Thanks for tuning in!
    Dull isn’t it.

Leave a comment:

• InFamous
    replied
    Originally posted by Rihab View Post

Tea.

There's no need for Rih to record a 'complex concept album'. She is the concept, a blend of different cultures and genres. No one else can combine pop, R&B, trap, hip-hop, synth-rock, dancehall, reggae and soul in one album and make it not sound all over the place. Why waste what makes her special by recording an ordinary pop record? An ordinary R&B record? Or an ordinary reggae record? Just to fulfill the same old criteria for what makes a great album that were already applied in the 80s? I don't think that's ever gonna happen. And please, Rih's best albums (ANTI, Rated R, Unapologetic) are not just a 'collection of singles' either. Name one song on ANTI and one pop girl who would dare to release it as a single without making a complete fool of herself.

The truth is, Rih could pull off just about anything the other girls (including the dusty ones) are doing (or have done in the past), but none of them can ever do what she does. The only thing stopping her from calling her songwriters and recording a 'complex concept album' is her refusing to be so basic.
    This was the moment Rihanna elevated herself greatly in my estimation/ opinion of her as a performer.

Last edited by InFamous; Tue April 28, 2020, 21:53.

Leave a comment:

• aRat
    replied
    Originally posted by MrLeonix View Post
    Rock Bands >> Michael Jackson >> Madonna >> The Pop World
    Popstitutes >>>>>>>> Pop F**kboys (Weeknd, Miguel, Bruno, Enrique etc.) >>>> Ballad Girls >>>> Rappers >>>> (rightfully erased from the charts and forGaGatten) Rock Bands

Leave a comment:

• InFamous
    replied
    Originally posted by beredy View Post

As far as being an album artist - she is yet to get there IMHO. Though Rated R and ANTI were good steps in that direction.
    To be honest a lot of her music was very " of the moment" and aged terribly. I mean who would actually listen to something like Where Have you been now.
    Of her older albums Loud aged pretty well. Whats my name and California King bed still sound amazing.

Leave a comment:

• InFamous
    replied
    Originally posted by Aaronsmithjune1 View Post

You spelled Body Shop wrong.
    Of course an XO stan would like that trash. I-

Leave a comment:

• beredy
    replied

A goddess, but 'lesser'.

'Record company mannequins' who own the record company.

'Throwing shit onto the wall to see what sticks', but all of her shit sticks.

A lot of shit sticks on the charts. Does't change the fact Rih has 5 good songs that have replay value.

Leave a comment:

• Rihab
    replied
    Only lesser record company mannequins deliver "versatile" albums. That's called throwing shit onto wall to see what sticks.
    A goddess, but 'lesser'.

'Record company mannequins' who own the record company.

'Throwing shit onto the wall to see what sticks', but all of her shit sticks.

Leave a comment:

• MrLeonix
    replied
    Honestly several divas had already released multi-genre .. Or "throwing shit onto the wall to see what sticks" type of albums before Rihanna.

- Janet Jackson - Janet (R&B, Rock, Opera, Soul, House, Dance, Soft-Rock)
    - Christina Aguilera - Stripped (Pop, Rock, Soul, Blues, Soft-Rock, Hip Hop and Latin Pop)
    - Britney Spears - In The Zone (Pop, Trip Hop, Dancehall, Hip Hop, Soft-Rock, Dance, R&B and Electronica)
    - Gwen Stefani - Love, Angel, Music, Baby (Pop, Hip Hop, Dance, New-Wave, R&B)

Curiously enough those albums are among their most treasured in their catalogues.

Leave a comment:

• beredy
    replied
    Originally posted by TIfan View Post
    Remember, next week episode will include more women who have sold millions of records around the globe, won major awards, and had many hits but will still have people to question her every move. Meanwhile, male artist can get away with being below average on a daily. Thanks for tuning in!
    It's not allowed to attack male singer and bands on UKMix. You get infracted.

Leave a comment:

• beredy
    replied

Tea.

There's no need for Rih to record a 'complex concept album'. She is the concept, a blend of different cultures and genres. No one else can combine pop, R&B, trap, hip-hop, synth-rock, dancehall, reggae and soul in one album and make it not sound all over the place. Why waste what makes her special by recording an ordinary pop record? An ordinary R&B record? Or an ordinary reggae record? Just to fulfill the same old criteria for what makes a great album that were already applied in the 80s? I don't think that's ever gonna happen. And please, Rih's best albums (ANTI, Rated R, Unapologetic) are not just a 'collection of singles' either. Name one song on ANTI and one pop girl who would dare to release it as a single without making a complete fool of herself.

The truth is, Rih could pull off just about anything the other girls (including the dusty ones) are doing (or have done in the past), but none of them can ever do what she does. The only thing stopping her from calling her songwriters and recording a 'complex concept album' is her refusing to be so basic.
    Only lesser record company mannequins deliver "versatile" albums. That's called throwing shit onto wall to see what sticks. It's a much easier way of making an album than making an album that's considered a body of work that tells a bigger story.

Are we pretending Rihanna didn't sing Sia's song the same way Sia would - just like any other girl Sia has written a song for?

Are we pretending that her collaborations with DJs (Guetta, Harris...) are somehow more unique than other girls who worked with them? Sure, we can talk about song quality, but vocally her delivery isn't inspired or unique there.

Rihanna is adaptable - yes. But she's hardly the first or the last girl in music business to be like that. Just because she's extremely popular doesn't make her better.

Leave a comment:

• TIfan
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Rihab
    replied
    Originally posted by aRat View Post
    Pls yall act like yall have such high standards. All Rihanna albums except the 2 mixtapes are good ( & better than most dusty diva albums for example). Good Girl Gone Bad, Rated R & Anti are excellent.
    Tea.

Leave a comment:

• aRat
    replied
    We break we break, we break we break, we breakin downE

Leave a comment:

• MrLeonix
    replied
    "Rated R", "Unaplogetic" and "Anti" were good albums. "Loud" was cool back in the day but hasn't aged good and "GGGB" seems more like a singles collection and doesn't feel like a real album, at least it has bops tho.

The other 3 albums (MOTS, AGLM and TTT) are really cr*ppy.

Leave a comment:

• aRat
    replied
    Quality is a must, beauty is a plus.

Leave a comment:

• beredy
    replied
    Originally posted by aRat View Post

Pls yall act like yall have such high standards. All Rihanna albums except the 2 mixtapes are good ( & better than most dusty diva albums for example). Good Girl Gone Bad, Rated R & Anti are excellent.
    Quality is a must, beauty is a plus.

Leave a comment:

• aRat
    replied

As far as being an album artist - she is yet to get there IMHO. Though Rated R and ANTI were good steps in that direction.

Leave a comment:

• aRat
    replied

IKR? Medellin sounded like the first good Madonna song since Girl Gone Wild and I almost added it to my library. Then the chorus came on.
    Omg the taste. Gheys Gone Wild is Madino's only good song from last decade.

Leave a comment:

• theMathematician
    replied
    Agreed, 'Rated R' was a good album. I wonder whether she's capable of releasing a complex concept album. Imo, she's yet to convince me that she's able to release an album as a cohesive piece of work rather than a collection of singles. Not sure whether she cares about that though...

Leave a comment:

• Aaronsmithjune1
    replied

Let's not pretend like Rihanna's first two albums were good though. Both Music of the Sun and A Girl Like Me are typical big label mainstream 90s/00s pop albums that are built around a couple of strong singles to sell the performer and the rest is filler to make an album.
    That's every Rihanna Album besides loud & anti

Leave a comment:

• Aaronsmithjune1
    replied

IKR? Medellin sounded like the first good Madonna song since Girl Gone Wild and I almost added it to my library. Then the chorus came on.
    You spelled Body Shop wrong.

Leave a comment:

• beredy
    replied
    Originally posted by InFamous View Post
    Rihanna was crap for years. It took her a long time to hit her stride.

Leave a comment:

• aRat
    replied
    Originally posted by Hejira View Post

Where is Rih now though?
    Self isolating at some Fenty Beauty Factory obvi

Leave a comment:

• InFamous
    replied

Let's not pretend like Rihanna's first two albums were good though. Both Music of the Sun and A Girl Like Me are typical big label mainstream 90s/00s pop albums that are built around a couple of strong singles to sell the performer and the rest is filler to make an album.
    Rihanna was crap for years. It took her a long time to hit her stride.

Leave a comment:

• beredy
    replied
    I'm not saying she's the next Rih (yet). But not many of her peers proved capable of artistic and commercial growth with their second album. We should acknowledge that.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X