X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stevyy
    replied
    Originally posted by MrLeonix View Post

Since when “Top 20 hits” were a reference during the European physical era of singles?

Top 10 singles is what counted as hits in Europe.
    always. I was there. Were you? I lived during that time.

Leave a comment:

• InFamous
    replied

What seems interesting about your posts is that you never mention what happened after “Artpop” , all your Gaga posts end with “Artpop” .... Why don’t you include the fact that she bounced back after “Artpop” with a massive #1 global single (“Shallow”) , won an Oscar and pulled an acclaimed Super Bowl performance (that did help her career)?

Yes, I know the ASIB era was a fluke and not likely to reflect the future of her career but it still happened
    The Shallow and ASIB era was tied to very specific circumstances and while I commend Gaga for it, it's not going to make any difference to her career in the long run, as shown by the performance of "Stupid Love". Even adding the ASIB era into Gaga's career still does not make her bigger than Janet overall.

Leave a comment:

• MrLeonix
    replied
    Originally posted by InFamous View Post

She really didn't. She had one huge era, which was really two eras combined to make it seem bigger than it was. Her second album saw a huge drop from the first one and people were already growing a bit tired of her. I can't even remember what the second single from Born This Way album was. By Artpop she was basically over. If you consider their entire career, which you should, there is no way that you can come to the conclusion that Gaga "outdid" Janet in any way. It's just not realistic, or logical. She might have had one era that was bigger than Janet's biggest, but overall. Nah.
    What seems interesting about your posts is that you never mention what happened after “Artpop” , all your Gaga posts end with “Artpop” .... Why don’t you include the fact that she bounced back after “Artpop” with a massive #1 global single (“Shallow”) , won an Oscar and pulled an acclaimed Super Bowl performance (that did help her career)?

Yes, I know the ASIB era was a fluke and not likely to reflect the future of her career but it still happened

Leave a comment:

• InFamous
    replied

I get the longevity part is an issue for Gaga BUT there is not really a rule that you need to spend on top of the industry in order to become a bigger act than some other act.

ABBA lasted what? 10 years? Same for The Beatles and they are much bigger than many artists that have 30 years careers. No matter if ABBA scored hits for less than 10 years and Kylie Minogue or Prince did it for longer, ABBA is the bigger music act overall.

And that’s what I meant. Gaga in 3 years basically outdid many artists and by this time she’s bigger than Janet regardless of how many years she spent on top.
    She really didn't. She had one huge era, which was really two eras combined to make it seem bigger than it was. Her second album saw a huge drop from the first one and people were already growing a bit tired of her. I can't even remember what the second single from Born This Way album was. By Artpop she was basically over. If you consider their entire career, which you should, there is no way that you can come to the conclusion that Gaga "outdid" Janet in any way. It's just not realistic, or logical. She might have had one era that was bigger than Janet's biggest, but overall. Nah.

Leave a comment:

• MrLeonix
    replied

LOL, no she hasn't. Gaga had a cute three year career before massively underperforming in her third era. She does not come close to matching Janet's career, let alone surpassing her.
    I get the longevity part is an issue for Gaga BUT there is not really a rule that you need to spend on top of the industry in order to become a bigger act than some other act.

ABBA lasted what? 10 years? Same for The Beatles and they are much bigger than many artists that have 30 years careers. No matter if ABBA scored hits for less than 10 years and Kylie Minogue or Prince did it for longer, ABBA is the bigger music act overall.

And that’s what I meant. Gaga in 3 years basically outdid many artists and by this time she’s bigger than Janet regardless of how many years she spent on top.
    Last edited by MrLeonix; Fri April 24, 2020, 21:12.

Leave a comment:

• MrLeonix
    replied
    Originally posted by stevyy View Post
    12 EU Top 20 singles. <3 legend.
    Since when “Top 20 hits” were a reference during the European physical era of singles?

Top 10 singles is what counted as hits in Europe.

Leave a comment:

• stevyy
    replied
    Janet on the Euro singles chart: Top 25 hits

1986 - #09 - What have you done for me lately
    1986 - #22 - Nasty
    1986 - #22 - When I think of You
    1987 - #11 - Let's wait awhile
    1992 - #12 - The Best Things in Life are Free
    1993 - #07 - That's The Way Love Goes
    1993 - #25 - If
    1995 - #12 - Whoops Now
    1995 - #01 - Scream
    1995 - #16 - Runaway
    1997 - #06 - Got Til It's Gone
    1997 - #01 - Together Again
    1998 - #14 - I Get Lonely
    2000 - #15 - Doesn't Really Matter
    2001 - #03 - All For You

12 EU Top 20 singles. <3 legend.

Leave a comment:

• InFamous
    replied

But Gaga IS bigger than Janet around the entire globe. Gaga experienced levels of success in Europe and Latin America that Janet was never even close to experience. Gaga surpassed Janet long time ago.

Gaga also has more global hit songs than Janet and by now she’s even a much bigger touring act than Janet ever was. And even albums wise she outsold Janet pretty much everywhere (except the USA).

Take into consideration that I’m far from being a Gaga fan , so I’m not biased but pure objective on this matter.
    LOL, no she hasn't. Gaga had a cute three year career before massively underperforming in her third era. She does not come close to matching Janet's career, let alone surpassing her.

Leave a comment:

• MrLeonix
    replied
    Originally posted by Goldmoney View Post
    We’re talking about overall consistency, not the size of the hit boo.
    But what consistency ? Most of her singles kinda underperformed in Europe

From 1989 until 2001 she released at least 32 singles and only 6-7 of those did ok in Europe (with only one being a big hit “Together Again”). That’s not consistent IMO.

Leave a comment:

• Goldmoney
    replied
    We’re talking about overall consistency, not the size of the hit boo.

Leave a comment:

• MrLeonix
    replied
    Originally posted by Goldmoney View Post
    Jeanette had hits in Europe 15 years apart. We’ll see if Gagz can do that in 2024.
    Well many of those “Janet European hits” were very weak sellers that were out of the charts in just a few weeks or songs that spent 1-2 weeks in Top 10 due to fanbase buying physical singles on the first weeks.

Gaga has legit hit European songs that have spent dozens of weeks in the top 10 and multiple weeks at #1, those kind of real hard smashes and in fact she already and basically had one of those 10 years apart first with “Just Dance” / “Poker Face” in 2008/2009 and more recently with “Shallow” in 2018/2019 and in the meantime she had other huge European hits like “Bad Romance”, “Telephone”, “Alejandro” or “Born This Way”.

You know very well Janet never had that type of success or those type of huge hit songs in Europe and you wouldn’t be objective enough if you didn’t accept that fact.

Leave a comment:

• Goldmoney
    replied
    Jeanette had hits in Europe 15 years apart. We’ll see if Gagz can do that in 2024.

Leave a comment:

• MrLeonix
    replied

I never said or implied that Janet was not bigger than Gaga.
    But Gaga IS bigger than Janet around the entire globe. Gaga experienced levels of success in Europe and Latin America that Janet was never even close to experience. Gaga surpassed Janet long time ago.

Gaga also has more global hit songs than Janet and by now she’s even a much bigger touring act than Janet ever was. And even albums wise she outsold Janet pretty much everywhere (except the USA).

Take into consideration that I’m far from being a Gaga fan , so I’m not biased but pure objective on this matter.

Leave a comment:

• Aaronsmithjune1
    replied

The difference between Janet and Gaga is that Janet had 4 blockbuster albums: Control, RN, Janet, TVR while Miss Gaga had 1 and a half successful eras.

1986 - 9,200,000 - Control ---------------------------- 15,730,000 - The Fame / Monster
    1989 - 10,900,000 - Rhythm Nation ------------------ 6,720,000 - Born This Way
    1993 - 12,600,000 - Janet ------------------------------- 2,120,000 - Artpop
    1995 - 8,300,000 - Design of a Decade -------------- 1,370,000 - Cheek to Cheek
    1997 - 7,450,000 - The Velvet Rope ------------------ 1,300,000 - Joanne
    2001 - 5,900,000 - All for You --------------------------- 2,930,000 - ASIB

d/nt come for albums sales are dead etc... Janet was the 4th biggest singles act of her era.
    Y'all stay comparing Album sales from 2 different era's. Gaga sold more records.

Leave a comment:

• InFamous
    replied

The difference between Janet and Gaga is that Janet had 4 blockbuster albums: Control, RN, Janet, TVR while Miss Gaga had 1 and a half successful eras.

1986 - 9,200,000 - Control ---------------------------- 15,730,000 - The Fame / Monster

d/nt come for albums sales are dead etc... Janet was the 4th biggest singles act of her era.
    I never said or implied that Janet was not bigger than Gaga.

Leave a comment:

• theMathematician
    replied
    Regarding album success, it's better to compare the chart performance rather than the sales. Sales heavily depend on the size of the market, chart runs always show an album's relative popularity compared to other albums in a certain period.

Leave a comment:

• stevyy
    replied

Putting Janet on a level with those four women is like when Gaga fans try and claim she is on the level of Taylor, Rihanna or Beyonce. No, No and NNNOOO.
    You are not going to change my mind so just agree to disagree and move on.

Leave a comment:

• abi
    replied
    Originally posted by BeeBoy View Post

Finally Voted At first I was like wtf how am I going to come up with 40 albums but it turned into why are we only allowed to vote for 40 albums pretty quickly
    Thanks! 16 votes in so far.

I thought the same at the beginning, not realizing that 10 years is such a long period. Also, if you guys want to participate, you don't have to vote for 40 albums. Minimum of 15 albums are allowed!

Leave a comment:

• BeeBoy
    replied
    Originally posted by abi View Post
    Finally Voted At first I was like wtf how am I going to come up with 40 albums but it turned into why are we only allowed to vote for 40 albums pretty quickly

Leave a comment:

• RayRay
    replied
    My favorite Always Be My Baby remix:

Leave a comment:

• abi
    replied

Leave a comment:

• TIfan
    replied
    Gwen Stefani's Hollaback Girl was the best pop single of the 00s.

Leave a comment:

• InFamous
    replied
    Miss Jackson did her thing on this track, really superb.

Leave a comment:

• Aaronsmithjune1
    replied
    And it's not in her top 10 either

Leave a comment:

• Goldmoney
    replied
    GOAT isn’t 90s so that statement is completely erroneous.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X