No announcement yet.

Pop Talk - General Music Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think I’ve never shared this but Shakira was in fact the first artist I ever stanned for. I was like 5 or 6 and growing up in Latin America during the 90s is only logical for someone to fall for Shakira. She was the first artist that truly blew me away based on my own judgement, yes I was exposed to lots of music due to my parents and family but Shakira was my own choice and that first time I was like “I discovered this artist by my own and I like her”.

She was everywhere and a phenomenon during mid and late 90s all over Latin America and Radio Stations. I clearly remember being intrigued by her breakthrough single “Estoy Aqui” which was being played everywhere I went, then a couple years later she released her album “Donde Estan Los Ladrones?” And that was the first ever music CD I got (well, my mum bought it for me) and by that point I was a huge fan of her.

I don’t really stan for her anymore, nothing bad happened either. I guess sometimes you just simply move on, being honest it all reached a point where I wasn’t agreeing with the musical directions she was taking anymore and I progressively stopped stanning for her until I lost interest. But I have no bad feelings towards her, I can say I grew up with her and that I know her well as an artist.

and I will say this straight, out of all of these modern mainstream divas (J.Lo, Beyoncé, Britney, P!nk, Xtina, Avril, Alicia also any commercial 90s diva and also the newer ones like Rihanna, Adele, Taylor or Gaga) I have no single doubt that Shakira is technically the MOST talented of them all (BY FAR). I know her recent music doesn’t give that impression and the new generations probably perceive her as another random commercial artist but I know what she’s capable of and what she can do and trust me, very few people can match Shakira’s talent.
    Britney Spears . Michael Jackson . Madonna . Metallica . Radiohead . Led Zeppelin . Oasis . Beyoncé . Soda Stereo

Comment

• Beehive coming in in 3,2,1...
      I have received many gifts from God,
      but this is the first time I have ever received a gift from a goddess

Don McLean on Madonna's version of American Pie

Comment

• Originally posted by beredy View Post

Why you quoting a text about Shakira for this? You should find a J.Lo post to talk about not writing your own stuff.
        why are you yelling at me?
        My Chart

Comment

• I don't get why she'd include 'Empire'. No one even remembers that song. She should include "Underneath.." or "Don't Bother" instead. I wish she could include "Inevitable" but that was from before she become famous globally.
          "Lift up your head
          Lift up your heart..."

https://soundcloud.com/jaspervanbeve...orest-of-glass

Comment

• A show based on her "Donde estan.." singles would musically rock the whole building.

"Lift up your head
            Lift up your heart..."

Comment

• Originally posted by JeremySpears View Post

Watch Lambs become Shakira stans over night...
              like clockwork
              COMMON LOVE ISN'T FOR US...

Comment

• Originally posted by Hejira View Post
                I don't get why she'd include 'Empire'. No one even remembers that song. She should include "Underneath.." or "Don't Bother" instead. I wish she could include "Inevitable" but that was from before she become famous globally.
                It was more about ballance. She has 4 English studio albums and you can tell how she wanted 1 song from each album, like a representation and evolution of all of her english eras.

- “Whenever” (Laundry Service)
                - “Hips Don’t Lie” (Oral Fixation)
                - “She Wolf” (She Wolf)
                - “Empire” (Shakira)

“Can’t Remember To Forget You” was bigger and more representative for the “Shakira” era BUT I think she went for “Empire” because she was already performing too many uptempo tracks so she picked the slow track for that era in order to give one different moment during her performance. Trust me, “Empire” will be the highlight because it translates amazing live, the other songs are classic and will be very fun on stage but “Empire” will give her that epic stadium moment!.
                Britney Spears . Michael Jackson . Madonna . Metallica . Radiohead . Led Zeppelin . Oasis . Beyoncé . Soda Stereo

Comment

• Originally posted by stevyy View Post

why are you yelling at me?
                  Why you coming after Shaki?

Comment

• Originally posted by aRat View Post

like clockwork
                    If that's the narrative ya'll need to keep your hate somewhat credible, than by all means.

"Lift up your head
                    Lift up your heart..."

Comment

• Originally posted by MrLeonix View Post

It was more about ballance. She has 4 English studio albums and you can tell how she wanted 1 song from each album, like a representation and evolution of all of her english eras.

- “Whenever” (Laundry Service)
                      - “Hips Don’t Lie” (Oral Fixation)
                      - “She Wolf” (She Wolf)
                      - “Empire” (Shakira)

“Can’t Remember To Forget You” was bigger and more representative for the “Shakira” era BUT I think she went for “Empire” because she was already performing too many uptempo tracks so she picked the slow track for that era in order to give one different moment during her performance. Trust me, “Empire” will be the highlight because it translates amazing live, the other songs are classic and will be very fun on stage but “Empire” will give her that epic stadium moment!.
                      I guess that makes sense. I'm looking forward to the whole set, I hope her vocals will be good first and foremost, she could def. kill 'Empire' if she's on point vocally.
                      "Lift up your head
                      Lift up your heart..."

Comment

I guess that makes sense. I'm looking forward to the whole set, I hope her vocals will be good first and foremost, she could def. kill 'Empire' if she's on point vocally.
                        Yep, but in addition of the vocal aspect it's about the energy and the atmosphere that song can create, it's one of those songs that work much better live. I never liked that much or cared about the studio version of the song or the music video but for some reason most live performances I saw of the song took it to a superior next level. It's that type of song that can create a magical Rock and Roll stadium performance, that type of song that could create that "everyone holding the lights up" in the audience effect or involve great lighting effects on stage which often leads to beautiful and powerful stage energy. It is the song on her setlist that I'm anticipating the most to see tonight and I'm honestly predicting it will be the best moment from her show.

"Hips Don't Lie" will probably be fun with her signature exotic moves that the public loves and "She Wolf" wil likely be fun too. For some reason "Whenever, Wherever" is the performance I'm the least excited about but I know it was a non-negotiable / "must perform" type of song considering it was her breakthrough english single.

Comment

• Empire definitely has that stadium rock sound with the oooooh part.

Comment

• Shakira has a song called empire?

Comment

• Anyway I am excited for both Shaki and JgLObal to pull an entertaining uptempo show and not some boring low budget standing still performance of some forgotten 90s ballad being sung five times. Some others who are not able to tour never got the chance @ a Superbowl performance b'cuz everyone knows they would pull a boring deadfest so JgLObal and Shaki are winners just by being asked to participate

Comment

• She does. I like my version better though.

https://soundcloud.com/jaspervanbeveren-1/jasper-empire

"Lift up your head
                                Lift up your heart..."

Comment

• Honestly I had not been this hyped or excited about a SuperBowl half time performance (because of Shakira, obviously) in years, probably since Madonna and Beyoncé shows.

I'm having a Shakira marathon all day and I can't wait to see her shine tonight.
                                  Last edited by MrLeonix; Sun February 2, 2020, 18:29.

Comment

• The setlist should've been:

Whenever, Wherever
                                    Underneath Your Clothes
                                    Chantaje
                                    Hips Don't Lie

The fact that she's completely neglecting her roots at a time when Spanish is more widely spoken than ever before, but also under attack from racists.. is sad..

Empire is a cute song, but it's not what she was invited for.

Comment

• She might do some Spanish verses in She Wolf (Loba)?

Comment

• Originally posted by Rihab View Post
                                        The setlist should've been:

Whenever, Wherever
                                        Underneath Your Clothes
                                        Chantaje
                                        Hips Don't Lie

The fact that she's completely neglecting her roots at a time when Spanish is more widely spoken than ever before, but also under attack from racists.. is sad..

Empire is a cute song, but it's not what she was invited for.
                                        Sis what are your thots on Physical by Dua?

You should totally join us other navies who have taken refugee inside Dua's p***y music since Rih quit music.

Comment

• Physical is a great, fun pop song. What I keep thinking though is that it's so short! The song has a beautiful build up and by the time it's about to transcend it's suddenly over. It makes for a great replay factor but in my mind that song has another 1,5 minutes that could have been epic and could have given the song an extra dimension.
                                          Still, she did that.
                                          "Lift up your head
                                          Lift up your heart..."

Comment

Physical is a great, fun pop song. What I keep thinking though is that it's so short! The song has a beautiful build up and by the time it's about to transcend it's suddenly over. It makes for a great replay factor but in my mind that song has another 1,5 minutes that could have been epic and could have given the song an extra dimension.
                                            Still, she did that.
                                            I think it's intentional since I also never get enough only listening to it once...

I think I have replayed the song 150+ times already

Comment

Physical is a great, fun pop song. What I keep thinking though is that it's so short! The song has a beautiful build up and by the time it's about to transcend it's suddenly over. It makes for a great replay factor but in my mind that song has another 1,5 minutes that could have been epic and could have given the song an extra dimension.
                                              Still, she did that.
                                              Maybe she has an extended remix under her sleeve.
                                              5.05.2009 / 6.22.2011 / 4.24.2013 / 4.25.2013 / 3.1.2014 / 9.13.2014 / 7.21.2016 / 7.14.2018 / 7.15.2018

Comment

I think it's intentional since I also never get enough only listening to it once...

I think I have replayed the song 150+ times already
                                                It's definitely intentional, it's the tendency of pop music these days: keep it short so this generation without focus can actually be able to finish 3 minutes.
                                                I'd like musicians to not cater to that tendency but of course I can see why they do it.

KEY9481 An extended version, not just repeating the chorus but an actual intentional extension, would be great!
                                                "Lift up your head
                                                Lift up your heart..."

Comment

• Dua's songs have always been short though. Most of her songs are under 3:30.

Comment

• Originally posted by beredy View Post
                                                    Dua's songs have always been short though. Most of her songs are under 3:30.
                                                    Most of her songs are 3min+ though which is kinda "long" for today's standards since most commercial songs these days are between 2.00 - 2:50 minutes long.

Yall can rejoice though since the third official single "Break My Heart" will be 4:14 min long

Comment

most commercial songs these days are between 2.00 - 2:50 minutes long.
                                                      Abusive honestly. What a mess.
                                                      "Lift up your head
                                                      Lift up your heart..."

Comment

Abusive honestly. What a mess.
                                                        yeah it's crazy how short songs have gotten through the years. Especially when u consider that songs used to be between 4-5 min back in the day ( Madino for example has many songs which are even 6m+ long).

That would never fly nowaydays.

Comment

Not if the artist in question is looking for a commercially successful career unfortunately. There are many artists out there making great music without conforming.
                                                          Of course, they don't get hits or commercial recognition but by staying true to their vision they'll build a solid enough group of followers to make a living.

I think that artists have the power to turn things around though, it's them making the music and setting the examples. As long as all of the pop singers keep conforming to what's expected than nothing will change but than again; as soon as a popular artist tries something different and it gets panned they seem to be discouraged right away 'because it didn't work'.
                                                          Change isn't gonna come with 1 song...these artists need to stick to their guns and make the music they want to make, they need to disregard the expectations that come from the label. Audiences will bend with the wind, if ever comes a time that 10 minute songs might become popular people will love it too 'because it's cool'.
                                                          "Lift up your head
                                                          Lift up your heart..."

Comment

yeah it's crazy how short songs have gotten through the years. Especially when u consider that songs used to be between 4-5 min back in the day ( Madino for example has many songs which are even 6m+ long).

Madonna had many radio edits: Holiday, Borderline, Lucky Star, Live To Tell, Cherish, Oh Father, Vogue, Rescue Me, This Used To Be My Playground, Erotica, Deeper And Deeper, Rain, Secret, Take A Bow... Just to name a few.
                                                            My Instagram... - Click here

Comment

• Originally posted by RayRay View Post

Madonna had many radio edits: Holiday, Borderline, Lucky Star, Live To Tell, Cherish, Oh Father, Vogue, Rescue Me, This Used To Be My Playground, Erotica, Deeper And Deeper, Rain, Secret, Take A Bow... Just to name a few.
                                                              Yep, it was very common.
                                                              I remember the days when album versions were usually much longer than radio cuts. Nowadays the radiocut IS the album version.
                                                              "Lift up your head
                                                              Lift up your heart..."

Comment

Working...
                                                              X