X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hejira
    replied
    Originally posted by MrLeonix View Post

It's a stunning album indeed. Quite shocked you didn't give a mention to the masterpiece "La Pared" is though.
    I like 'La Pared' but I remember when it came out I felt it was a bit of a 'Coldplay' sound instead of a Shakira sound. It's a great song but not one of my faves on the album.

Leave a comment:

• Hejira
    replied
    Originally posted by RayRay View Post

I* am afrai yu are rti8
    Wat heb je nou eigenlijk over je laptop gegooid? Wel kut hoor, het kost je weer een godvermogen om computer/telefoons te vervangen.
    Succes in ieder geval!

Leave a comment:

• MrLeonix
    replied
    Originally posted by Hejira View Post
    MrLeonix I gave Fijacion Oral some listens and it's indeed a great album. Love almost all the songs. I still don't think it's her best Spanish album but I can see why it might be regarded that way.

My faves:

En tus pupilas
    Obtener un si
    Dia Especial
    Escondite Ingles (my favorite, that organ is crazy)
    No
    Dia de Enero
    Lo Imprescindible
    It's a stunning album indeed. Quite shocked you didn't give a mention to the masterpiece "La Pared" is though.

Leave a comment:

• RayRay
    replied
    Originally posted by Hejira View Post

I think you have to go to Mediamarkt morgen
    I* am afrai yu are rti8

Leave a comment:

• MrLeonix
    replied
    Originally posted by TIfan View Post
    ^^^ MrLeonix You are forgetting a huge fact. Britney was only 10 years in when she had her comeback. Janet tried to come back in 06 after 20 years (25 years if you include her actual debut album) in the industry. The industry had found their new crop of Black girls. Ciara was like a new and updated Janet with her first 2 albums.

Also, Britney is not part of Janet's generation. Britney is basically a child of Janet. Britney's last album did what Janet's albums were doing in the 00s. Just like Janet, Britney hit top 20 on the Hot100 but could not hit top 10. Regardless of how good their music is, they will be a struggle.
    Mariah was 15 years into the scene when she had her comeback with "Mimi" and Madonna was 23 years into her career when she had a comeback with "Confessions". No excsue for Janet other than she messed up and didn't do damage control.

And Britney's last lead single "Make Me" outpeaked EVERY Janet single since 2001.

Janet didn't have a comeback, she wasn't given a second chance. Why are you so mad at other artists that were welcomed back at some point in their careers? It's not those artists' fault what happened to Janet ... Be mad with the industry not with other artists.

Leave a comment:

• TIfan
    replied
    ^^^ MrLeonix You are forgetting a huge fact. Britney was only 10 years in when she had her comeback. Janet tried to come back in 06 after 20 years (25 years if you include her actual debut album) in the industry. The industry had found their new crop of Black girls. Ciara was like a new and updated Janet with her first 2 albums.

Also, Britney is not part of Janet's generation. Britney is basically a child of Janet. Britney's last album did what Janet's albums were doing in the 00s. Just like Janet, Britney hit top 20 on the Hot100 but could not hit top 10. Regardless of how good their music is, they will be a struggle.

Leave a comment:

• Hejira
    replied
    MrLeonix I gave Fijacion Oral some listens and it's indeed a great album. Love almost all the songs. I still don't think it's her best Spanish album but I can see why it might be regarded that way.

My faves:

En tus pupilas
    Obtener un si
    Dia Especial
    Escondite Ingles (my favorite, that organ is crazy)
    No
    Dia de Enero
    Lo Imprescindible

Last edited by Hejira; Thu February 6, 2020, 19:43.

Leave a comment:

• MrLeonix
    replied
    Britney had everything handed to her during her return. She got a standing ovation for that horrid 2007 VMA performance and she swept the awards with that garbage "Piece of Me" video. She became by far the worst performer who added little to no effort in her shows. That is why she is in the situation she is in now. She clearly checked out of the industry.
    No matter how it was (easy, handed to her, luck, etc) America did give her a second chance, and it wasn't just about the VMAs sweeping. Just one year after he scandals she was at #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 with "Womanizer" (which happened to be a huge well received global hit), suddenly Pop radio embraced her back and suddently nearly every song she would released from 2008-2011 would be a hit on Pop Radio and Digital charts, the woman got 3 SOLO #1 Billboard hits in just a couple years and her touring / tickets sales increased to the point of making her one of the highest grossing female acts of all time in just a few years. America and the public didn't rule her out just like that.

I know she's in a weird position where it seems she's done with the industry right now and honestly it's her own responsibility if she treasured her second chance or not .. But back at the time she was given that second chance Janet never received. Britney was very priviliged if you ask me.

But also looking back at it, Britney released everything that her public wanted to hear from her at that time. They wanted that super pop catchy Britney with the hot hooks back and that's exactly what she released with "Womanizer" and "Circus" ... Janet on the other hand never released what her public wanted and instead just released the worst albums of her career just when she needed her (clearly denied) second chance. This obviously lead Janet to go down without a comeback.

Leave a comment:

• Hejira
    replied
    Originally posted by stevyy View Post
    Rock with U is still her Migrate and an obvious #1 single. Discipline is so good.
    My faves from the 'Discipline' album are Rock with U, LUV, Tonight & Rollercoaster.

Leave a comment:

• stevyy
    replied
    Rock with U is still her Migrate and an obvious #1 single. Discipline is so good.

Leave a comment:

• Hejira
    replied
    Originally posted by MrLeonix View Post
    “All For You” was a cool album ... but “20 Y.O” and “Discipline” were terrible albums and those were the years she needed to step her game up after that Super Bowl scandal.

She was kind of erased after that and never really got a second chance unfortunately.

Honestly I think if she had been so important or that “loved” America would have given her a second chance.
    Yeah 20 YO and Discipline are not it. I slightly prefer Discipline out of the two.

Leave a comment:

• Hejira
    replied
    Originally posted by Goldmoney View Post
    Excuse me but Ghey for You was lit.
    Her whole discography up until "Damita Jo" is lit. DJ is an album people love to hate because it's her first flop album but it's actually great. Perfect island vibe.

Leave a comment:

• MrLeonix
    replied
    “All For You” was a cool album ... but “20 Y.O” and “Discipline” were terrible albums and those were the years she needed to step her game up after that Super Bowl scandal.

She was kind of erased after that and never really got a second chance unfortunately.

Honestly I think if she had been so important or that “loved” America would have given her a second chance.

Leave a comment:

• Goldmoney
    replied
    Excuse me but Ghey for You was lit.

Leave a comment:

• Hejira
    replied
    It's so easy to hate on Janet and calling her a fad after all these years. Why did her career go down the drain while Justin's career blossomed? He ripped the clothing off, she was exposed and she was the one people hated. The excuse of it being choreographed (which it was) does not explain why he got to walk around without any consequences.

Leave a comment:

• stevyy
    replied
    Originally posted by beredy View Post
    ^You can add Britney to the list. She also survived radio blacklist due Clear Channel getting mad when she switched them for AEG as her tour promoters and let's not forget her dark period. All these girls and their teams knew the only way to get back is with good music material.

Janet's 00's output was horrific. If I didn't know her music and somebody played me her whole discography I'd burst laughing in that persons face for trying to make me believe that the person who did Control/RN1814/janet./TVR followed that with Crap For You/Shitita Blow/20. H.O./Dickcipline. You literally can't make a decent 10 track album by combining songs from the last 4.
    I disagree... Damita Jo was a good album and Discipline was even better. 20 Y.O. wasn't that strong... but Discipline should have spawned 2 top 10 hits at least.

Leave a comment:

• aRat
    replied

I have to stan this bitch

Leave a comment:

• TIfan
    replied
    Britney had everything handed to her during her return. She got a standing ovation for that horrid 2007 VMA performance and she swept the awards with that garbage "Piece of Me" video. She became by far the worst performer who added little to no effort in her shows. That is why she is in the situation she is in now. She clearly checked out of the industry.

Leave a comment:

• MrLeonix
    replied
    ^There weren't that many female pop stars of that magnitude who actually got such a huge backlash/public turning against them as those 4 though. At least I can't think of anyone else. 3 of them managed to turn it around quickly, 1 didn't. And it comes down to how they handled the whole situation and the fact the folloup music was easy to pass over.
    I would add Whitney too, she clearly faced a public scandal and personal struggle that damaged her brand and sinked her career which was filled of major success until 1999 .. But IMO she could never recover her career either, her fans say the "I Look To You" album was a comeback but IMO it wasn't entirely a big moment, she fell hard after 1999.
    Last edited by MrLeonix; Thu February 6, 2020, 15:34.

Leave a comment:

• beredy
    replied
    ^There weren't that many female pop stars of that magnitude who actually got such a huge backlash/public turning against them as those 4 though. At least I can't think of anyone else. 3 of them managed to turn it around quickly, 1 didn't. And it comes down to how they handled the whole situation and the fact the folloup music was easy to pass over.

Leave a comment:

• MrLeonix
    replied
    ^You can add Britney to the list. She also survived radio blacklist due Clear Channel getting mad when she switched them for AEG as her tour promoters and let's not forget her dark period. All these girls and their teams knew the only way to get back is with good music material.

Janet's 00's output was horrific. If I didn't know her music and somebody played me her whole discography I'd burst laughing in that persons face for trying to make me believe that the person who did Control/RN1814/janet./TVR followed that with Crap For You/Shitita Blow/20. H.O./Dickcipline. You literally can't make a decent 10 track album by combining songs from the last 4.
    IMO the only female music stars that have been able to survive dark controversial periods are Madonna, Mariah and Britney indeed.

In normal conditions most female artists don't survive or have second chances after a major controversy or scandal, Janet's career was so fragile in fact that it took just one nipple to create a chaos in her brand (of course the bad music didn't help either but still the nipple incident destroyed her).

Leave a comment:

• beredy
    replied

Leave a comment:

• spiritboy
    replied
    Originally posted by stevyy View Post

Janet could be my favs biggest enemy and I would still come to the conclusion that blacklisting her after the SB was a super racist d'ck move from all media outlets. In a good world... other acts would have cancelled their own releases in solitarity for as long as the media backlash lasted. (it's still on btw). It was one of the lowest moment in entertainment history. Nobody deserves what she received.

BUT... it's also true the bigger the act the bigger the backlash... cancelling her entire career post SB means that she really was the greatest US female at that point.
    I disagree, if she really was that big, she would've survived that. It's Janet and her team who were incompetent and didn't have a clue how to damage control and survive backlash. Madonna suffered worse backlash with Erotica, she was literally named devil incarnated and radios blacklisted her with American Life. Both times she not only survived the backlash, but also came on top. Mariah also survived a terrible era, both movie and ost were flops, she had a public meltdown and she was considered a joke. She also survived the backlash and smashed with Mimi album.

Leave a comment:

• stevyy
    replied
    I love Janet but I do not think JT owes her anything. Janet was already iconic and JT was a new solo artist. She should have known better. The Networks/radio stations that banned her needs to apologize. Not JT.

Both returned with 2006 albums but his album was a whole slay and hers was a whole mess. That is why she could not continue having success.
    JT needs to still apologize bc b4 the thing with JJ, he also decided not to licence his Mariah duet which was then not put on the CB album (2002) bc he feared backlash and being hurt by the Glitter debacle.

It's ridiculous how his integrity blows with the wind of public approval.

Leave a comment:

• stevyy
    replied
    Originally posted by spiritboy View Post
    I don't think JT owes Janet an apology. They planned a gimmick, it backfired, it's not Justin's fault, media is the one to blame here. I also feel no sympathy towards Janet, not after shading Madonna many times.
    Janet could be my favs biggest enemy and I would still come to the conclusion that blacklisting her after the SB was a super racist d'ck move from all media outlets. In a good world... other acts would have cancelled their own releases in solitarity for as long as the media backlash lasted. (it's still on btw). It was one of the lowest moment in entertainment history. Nobody deserves what she received.

BUT... it's also true the bigger the act the bigger the backlash... cancelling her entire career post SB means that she really was the greatest US female at that point.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X