Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MrLeonix
    replied
    Yeah that strategy was only a thing in the US.

Songs like No Doubt's "Don't Speak" (16 weeks at #1 on the US Radio) and Natalie Imbruglia's "Torn" (11 weeks at #1 on the US Radio) would have been undeniable #1 hits on the Hot 100 but rules (back then) didn't allow them to chart on airplay alone and without a physical release.

the rule was corrected eventually as it was unfair and songs were allowed to chart based on airplay but some labels still kept not releasing singles (physically) in order to boost albums sales (in consequence sacrificing singles peaks and even potential #1 hits on the Hot 100), Britney's label used this strategy a LOT during the first years of her career, she lost an undeniable #1 Hot 100 hit with "Oops I Did It Again" (song) because of this ... But on the other hand her first two albums went Diamond.

Back in the day (80s, 90s and early 00s) getting good album sales was very important for artists and labels, those artists who sold the most albums were considered the most prestigeous and powerful music acts in the industry. Similar to how today those who get the best streaming results are ruling.

Leave a comment:

• RayRay
    replied
    Originally posted by cheapthrills View Post
    I think the practice of eliminating singles in the 90s helped sales then, but hurt labels in the long run. Things like Napster arose because people didn't want to buy the entire album for one song, and they gave no other option.
    Only in the USA, I guess. I have never been unable to buy a single here.

Leave a comment:

• cheapthrills
    replied
    I think the practice of eliminating singles in the 90s helped sales then, but hurt labels in the long run. Things like Napster arose because people didn't want to buy the entire album for one song, and they gave no other option.

Leave a comment:

• TIfan
    replied
    I remember buying (asking for money to buy) albums because of one good song on the radio during the late 90s/early 00s. So many albums sold very well that were extremely horrible albums during that period but everyone was basically competing for who had the most CD's in their collection. Record labels made BILLIONS of dollars but paid the artist crap during those days. Thank God those days are over.

Leave a comment:

• JeremySpears
    replied
    Originally posted by spiritboy View Post
    Always the same people who end up commenting in Taylor threads and always find something negative to post. If you don't like her, stop reading & commenting on her threads, simple as that. Cause reading the same people constantly criticizing Taylor is no different than reading random Trump tweets, always full of hate.
    If only they would come up with new stuff instead of writing the same two sentences over and over again...

Leave a comment:

• Rihab
    replied
    And just saying, but Trump comparisons are a bit rich when the MAGA crowd is responsible for 90% of your fave's success.

Leave a comment:

• Rihab
    replied
    Deplorables need to know they're deplorable. If we don't call them out daily, they'll continue to get more deplorable until we end up in conversion or concentration camps again. It's proactive self-defence.

Leave a comment:

• spiritboy
    replied
    Always the same people who end up commenting in Taylor threads and always find something negative to post. If you don't like her, stop reading & commenting on her threads, simple as that. Cause reading the same people constantly criticizing Taylor is no different than reading random Trump tweets, always full of hate.
    Last edited by spiritboy; Tue March 24, 2020, 01:09.

Leave a comment:

• Hejira
    replied
    Originally posted by MrLeonix View Post

It's not reverse psychology, it's just a reality of your hypocrissy about the matter. You don't like it when people come for Mariah but you feel brave coming for other artists.

that's probably the reason your comment didn't get your expected reaction (which clearly was: "let's all jump and hate on Taylor") and instead what you got was no one supporting or cheering your comment.

if you were more objective by not putting different judging standards for Mariah and other artists people would have found some credibility in your remarks about Taylor Swift.
    I'm in no mood to have a discussion like this and I'm sure you aren't either. I'm not a Taylor fan mainly because I'm not interested in her music and I'll admit that me having an opinion on her might be biased. When someone tells me I deserve Trump because I don't like Taylor Swift...that's where I draw a line though. That had nothing to do with what I said about her. It's not fair that I say something negative about Taylor and you use the Mariah card as a defense. People always use the Mariah card here for any reason, mostly to gaslight the lambs.
    "I don't like this or that artist" > "Well you as a Mariah fan always complain about the hate so you don't have a reason to dislike this artist".
    Just no.

Leave a comment:

• aRat
    replied
    Originally posted by TIfan View Post

Chile, most humans have Duo Lips to talk.
    Sis

Leave a comment:

• TIfan
    replied
    Originally posted by aRat View Post
    If god hates gheys then why did he give us Dua Lipa?
    Chile, most humans have Duo Lips to talk.

Leave a comment:

• aRat
    replied
    If god hates gheys then why did he give us Dua Lipa?

Leave a comment:

• cheapthrills
    replied
    Had to double check I didn't just stop into the unpopular opinions thread.

Leave a comment:

• Rihab
    replied
    Miley Cyrus and her Dead Petz is the best female pop album of the 2010s k bye.

Leave a comment:

• beredy
    replied
    I can't imagine LDR songs without curse words. The opening of NFR! is iconic with "God damn manchild... You f*cked me so good that I almost said I love you".

Leave a comment:

• RayRay
    replied
    Originally posted by Rihab View Post

Liking and disliking them is equally bizarre imo. I've never heard anyone say 'I love this song because it contains curse words!'.

But for some reason, you guys (and older generations who grew up in less liberal times) seem to be like 'I probably won't like this song because it has explicit lyrics!'.

Cursing is natural. It's a great way to let off steam. People who curse often are less likely to have mental health issues. We all do it, at least in our heads. And real artists don't self-censor.
    You haven't? That's bizarre. I've heard lots of people love certain songs because of the lyrics.

I never judge a song on just the lyrics. I do have songs with explicit lyrics on my playlist. I do notice it hardly ever makes a song better. Usually ,when there is a clean version available, I'll go for that instead.

Cursing is not natural. Most of the time it is used by people who have limited vocabulary. I certainly have no mental health issues. We don't all do it. Real artists have a great vocabulary and don't need it to sell songs.

It's also a lot easier to have a playlist with no explicit lyrics songs. You don't have to look around if there are children around.

Leave a comment:

• spiritboy
    replied

It's not reverse psychology, it's just a reality of your hypocrissy about the matter. You don't like it when people come for Mariah but you feel brave coming for other artists.

that's probably the reason your comment didn't get your expected reaction (which clearly was: "let's all jump and hate on Taylor") and instead what you got was no one supporting or cheering your comment.

if you were more objective by not putting different judging standards for Mariah and other artists people would have found some credibility in your remarks about Taylor Swift.
    Thank you!

Leave a comment:

• spiritboy
    replied
    Originally posted by Hejira View Post

What an incredibly strange and rude thing to say.
    So it isn't rude to call Taylor fake and all? Or people calling Maroon 5 "moron 5" or Ed Sheeran "sheerat"? This forum is full of rude people so i might blend as well.

Leave a comment:

• MrLeonix
    replied

Don't use reverse psychology on me, that doesn't work.

Leave a comment:

• Goldmoney
    replied
    Kween never takes the first shot, but she always fights back like a savage.

Leave a comment:

• theMathematician
    replied
    Taylor Swift has always been a talented, beautiful, intelligent and, most notably, extremely helpful and kind person. Of course, there will be people jealous about her success, but throughout her entire career, she has always stayed authentic and aware of her roots.

Leave a comment:

• Hejira
    replied

You hate it when people come for Mariah due to her alleged fakeness and diva personality, She has been brutally called out for her cold heart, attitude, fights and shades with other artists and you guys (her fans) don't like it and ask to not believe in everything despite being stuff out there supporting all those claims ...

.... Then why are you doing the same to other artists? (In this case Taylor) ... Why are you coming for her out of nothing and doing exactly what you hate people do to Mariah?
    Don't use reverse psychology on me, that doesn't work.

Leave a comment:

• MrLeonix
    replied

You hate it when people come for Mariah due to her alleged fakeness and diva personality, She has been brutally called out for her cold heart, attitude, fights and shades with other artists and you guys (her fans) don't like it and ask to not believe in everything despite being stuff out there supporting all those claims ...

.... Then why are you doing the same to other artists? (In this case Taylor) ... Why are you coming for her out of nothing and doing exactly what you hate people do to Mariah?

Leave a comment:

• TIfan
    replied
    I can't believe I am just now getting into Bjork.

She is truly one of the most gifted artists in the history of music.

Leave a comment:

• Hejira
    replied
    Originally posted by spiritboy View Post
    People who hate Taylor are fake, sneaky and untrustworthy imo. Even when she stands with LGBT community, they accuse her of being fake. Those people deserve Trump or far right wing politicans tbh.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X