X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• aRat
    replied
    Originally posted by Goldmoney View Post
    Well firstly those dance songs wouldn’t be anywhere near here. DSTM and WFL are club staples so while they might have attained a cult following, ain’t nobody be using those, at least outwardly. I suppose the only real similarity between the chocolate hole and most of y’all’s holes is that Umbrella is ubiquitous. If I had to make a top 10 list of the chocolate community’s favorite Rihsus songs, it would look like this:

1 Umbrella (featuring Jay-Z)
    2 What’s My Name? (featuring Drake)
    3 Needed Me
    4 Work (featuring Drake)
    5 Pour It Up
    6 Bitch Better Have My Money
    7 Man Down
    8 Live Your Life (with T.I.)
    9 Love on the Brain
    10 Pon De Replay

Close calls:
    Unfaithful - a cute lil top 20 black radio hit that not many people remember.
    LTWYL - Everytime Feminem gets brought up here, the black community be like But this was a top 10 black airplay hit so it has to be represented in some way.
    Take Care - Cute but everyone just goes back to WMN? and Work.
    Surprised at WMN?. That song is so dull and bland to me. Never got the love for it and never understood it's success. I would have thot that Rude God would be there instead of it.

Leave a comment:

• Hejira
    replied
    Originally posted by aRat View Post

You ceratinly care about the expiry date

I'm nearing my mid 30's, what do you expect.

Leave a comment:

• aRat
    replied
    Rude Boy and Man Down are def club classics in Europe too. I always hear them.

Leave a comment:

• aRat
    replied
    Originally posted by Hejira View Post

Chile, I stan good music, I don't care about anything else.
    You ceratinly care about the expiry date

Leave a comment:

• Hejira
    replied
    No "Russian Roulette' love? Or are the numbers for that song not relevant enough

Leave a comment:

• MrLeonix
    replied

This is very similar to Europe actually.
    Yep, I guess.

The dull "Hate That I Love You" was also a big hit here back in the day, it even had a spanglish version over here but that was back then, now it's totally erased and forgagatten (Thankfully), Everyone bopped to "Disturbia" back in 2008 but no one ever spoke about it after that year over here. "Only Girl" was the only big single from the "Loud" era over here, "S&M" and "What's My Name" were ok/popular but never felt as huge as they seemed to be in US or UK / Europe.

"Work", "This Is Why You Came For" and "Wild Thoughts" were played basically everywhere over here. "Needed Me" wasn't much present on the radio here but I saw lots of my friends bopping to it on their spotify playlists, so it was a hit among streamers and private parties.

Leave a comment:

• Goldmoney
    replied
    I forgot about Rude Boy. Swap it out for LYL and make LYL a CC. Wild Thots and Wifebeater Cake are CCs too. BC was huge at the time but thank the lawdt no one uses it anymore despite CB still being huge in the urban community.

Leave a comment:

• Hejira
    replied

Mandy Moo? Yall really stan for ANY completely forGaGatten hag yall can find, huh?

Chile, I stan good music, I don't care about anything else.

Leave a comment:

• Rihab
    replied
    Well firstly those dance songs wouldn’t be anywhere near here. DSTM and WFL are club staples so while they might have attained a cult following, ain’t nobody be using those, at least outwardly. I suppose the only real similarity between the chocolate hole and most of y’all’s holes is that Umbrella is ubiquitous. If I had to make a top 10 list of the chocolate community’s favorite Rihsus songs, it would look like this:

3 Needed Me
    4 Work
    5 Pour It Up
    7 Man Down
    9 Love on the Brain
    10 Pon De Replay

Close calls:
    LTWYL - Everytime Feminem gets brought up here, the black community be like But this was a top 10 black airplay hit so it has to be represented in some way.
    Take Care - Cute but everyone just goes back to WMN?
    Take Care?

But no Rude Boy, Wild Thots or Birthday Cake?

Leave a comment:

• Goldmoney
    replied

Spill the tea henty

3 Needed Me
    4 Work (featuring Drake)
    5 Pour It Up
    7 Man Down
    9 Love on the Brain
    10 Pon De Replay

Close calls:
    Take Care - Cute but everyone just goes back to WMN? and Work.

Leave a comment:

• Rihab
    replied
    Originally posted by MrLeonix View Post
    What's your problem with Asia or Latin America though?

You've said several times in a dismissing way that the streams must come from Asia or Latin America like if they weren't valid or only European or US streams were the only official ones.
    No, that wasn't my point. My point is:

huge worldwide Youtube / Spotify numbers ≠ global signature hit

Take A Bow with its disproportional numbers in Brazil, Korea and SEA is just one of many examples.

What's My Name (2010): 800 Million views (disproportionately from the US / UK)
    Man Down (2011): 700 Million views (disproportionately from continental Europe)
    Love On The Brain (2016): 550 Million streams on Spotify (disproportionately from the US)

All of these songs have massive worldwide numbers, but they are regional signature hits at best. They are not on the same level as her global signature hits (Umbrella, DSTM, LTWYL, OG, WFL, Diamonds, Stay, Work, PDR).

Leave a comment:

• aRat
    replied
    Run This Town, All Of The Lights & Goddess Of China are Rih's best features. Those Eminem collabs can choke.

Leave a comment:

• aRat
    replied
    It’s so different in the black community.
    Spill the tea henty

Leave a comment:

• aRat
    replied
    "Disturbia" is without a doubt the better song, especially compared to that borefest. But why are we still talking about her non album releasing ass when we can talk about this Hillbilly Light goodness?

At least she brings the melodies
    Mandy Moo? Yall really stan for ANY completely forGaGatten hag yall can find, huh?

Last edited by aRat; Mon March 9, 2020, 20:46.

Leave a comment:

• Goldmoney
    replied
    It’s so different in the black community.

Leave a comment:

• aRat
    replied
    Originally posted by MrLeonix View Post
    From what I've heard over here her big songs may be: "Diamonds", "We Found Love", "Umbrella", "Don't Stop The Music" and "Only Girl".

"Love The Way You Lie" and "This Is Why You Came For" her biggest feature singles over here for sure.
    This is very similar to Europe actually.

Leave a comment:

• MrLeonix
    replied
    From what I've heard over here her big songs may be: "Diamonds", "We Found Love", "Umbrella", "Don't Stop The Music" and "Only Girl".

"Love The Way You Lie" and "This Is Why You Came For" her biggest feature singles over here for sure.

Leave a comment:

• Hejira
    replied
    "Disturbia" is without a doubt the better song, especially compared to that borefest. But why are we still talking about her non album releasing ass when we can talk about this Hillbilly Light goodness?

At least she brings the melodies

Leave a comment:

• spiritboy
    replied
    In my hole, Unfaithful is probably the most popular RiRi ballad. Nobody knows TAB here.

Leave a comment:

• Rihab
    replied
    If I had to rank Rih's signature hits from a strictly German point of view:

1. Diamonds
    2. Umbrella
    3. We Found Love
    4. DSTM
    5. Work

6. LTWYL
    7. BBHMM
    8. S&M
    9. OG
    10. FourFiveSeconds

11. Pon De Replay
    12. Stay
    13. Disturbia
    14. Unfaithful
    15. Te Amo

16. Rude Boy

17. This Is What You Came For
    18. Live Your Life
    19. Wild Thoughts
    20. Rehab

21. Take A Bow
    22. SOS
    23. Russian Roulette
    24. Shut Up And Drive
    25. Hate That I Love You

I'd say that songs #1 to #9 are pretty much universally known (with the exception of BBHMM) and her 'true' signature hits. Most people also know songs #10 to #17. #17 and everything below that won't be well remembered in the long run.

Rehab, Te Amo and Diamonds would certainly rank lower in other regions of the world, but other songs would in turn rank higher (e.g. Man Down in parts of continental Europe, Russian Roulette in Scandinavia, LOTB in the US, SOS in Oceania, What's My Name in North America and the UK).

Leave a comment:

• aRat
    replied
    GODisturbia >>>>>> Take A Dump

An uptempo edgy banger is always superior to a corny ballad

Leave a comment:

• spiritboy
    replied

She put that in a video? Call me a hating cynical wh*re but: Opportunistic much?
    Nope, it was sweet and you can't see her grandma there. You can't blame a girl for making a tribute to her loved one, even if she is a popstar.

Leave a comment:

• Hejira
    replied
    Originally posted by spiritboy View Post
    That video of Katy Perry telling her grandma she's pregnant before she passed away
    She put that in a video? Call me a hating cynical wh*re but: Opportunistic much?

Leave a comment:

• spiritboy
    replied
    That video of Katy Perry telling her grandma she's pregnant before she passed away

Leave a comment:

• MrLeonix
    replied
    Originally posted by Rihab View Post
    I don't doubt that it's one of her most popular and recurrent songs in Latin America and East Asia (big enough to skew the ww numbers), but trust me this is just not the case in other places. I haven't heard TAB on the radio or in public anywhere in 10+ years, it doesn't get used in TV / media, it's not as well remembered as many of her other hits (and some flops), it has never come up in a conversation ever. I don't think it's Top 20 among her signature hits overall.
    What's your problem with Asia or Latin America though?

You've said several times in a dismissing way that the streams must come from Asia or Latin America like if they weren't valid or only European or US streams were the only official ones.

Asia and Latin America are part of the world and hey! How cool if "Take A Bow" is big in those markets ..... It means that the song actually ended up transcending the language barrier over time. #GlobalHit

Leave a comment:

Working...
X