No announcement yet.

Pop Talk - General Music Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This may be a Lemonade related tweet but it says in the text, that the shutout of Urban artists in the main categories is part of the lawsuit
    MY INSTAGRAM

Free Amazon Vouchers

Comment

• Finally Grammy will be cancelled?
      Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

• Can yall favs do this?
        Last edited by Colbie; Wed January 22nd, 2020, 10:55.

Comment

• Goldmoney

this was beautiful, I've have decided to Stan Goat to the day I die

Comment

• First artist that comes to mind is Beyoncé. She had so many Grammy's. I wonder if they were all deserved...
            My Instagram... - Click here

Comment

• C'mon the Grammys were always a joke lbr. I mean that bland generic average bish Tayloo has 2 AOTY's lmao. That alone should tell you everything you need to know about them.
              Beauty is a must, Talent is a plus: DUA LIPA ♪ RIHANNA ♪ BEYONCE ♪ THE WEEKND
              #NO DUSTY DIVAS OR XMAS FADS ALLOWED (EXCEPT MADINO)

Comment

• I can't believe how forgotten One Sweet Day is. It was huge entering the 2000s decade, but fell off so bad over the last 12-13 years.no kids no it at all

Comment

• Originally posted by RayRay View Post
                  First artist that comes to mind is Beyoncé. She had so many Grammy's. I wonder if they were all deserved...
                  I wonder why she doesn't have AOTY or ROTY then following your logic?
                  MY INSTAGRAM

Free Amazon Vouchers

Comment

• Originally posted by Aaronsmithjune1 View Post
                    I can't believe how forgotten One Sweet Day is. It was huge entering the 2000s decade, but fell off so bad over the last 12-13 years.no kids no it at all
                    It was always a boring drag to me. Never understood how it managed to top H100 for 16 weeks. Did it make everyone fall asleep and put the song on replay at the radios for all that time?
                    I have received many gifts from God,
                    but this is the first time I have ever received a gift from a goddess

Don McLean on Madonna's version of American Pie

Comment

• The thing is that taste in music is rarely objective, but it gets more objective if you increase the amount of people you ask about it. On this forum, there is little interest in rock and alternative music. For example, I'm not sure whether Arcade Fire would have been the forum's favorite for AOTY in 2011. Apparently, the Grammy committee is not much of a fan of urban music. Is that really a problem? Is it obligatory for urban releases to win big at the Grammys every 2 to 3 years? I understand that many people liked 'Lemonade' a lot, but what if the Grammy committee really considered '25' the better album? This sounds to me like there is a right opinion and a wrong one - and opinions can hardly ever be wrong or right. And I say this as someone who would've liked to see 'Channel Orange' winning over 'Babel' back in the day...
                      ~ representing the LBC ~

Comment

• Originally posted by theMathematician View Post
                        The thing is that taste in music is rarely objective, but it gets more objective if you increase the amount of people you ask about it. On this forum, there is little interest in rock and alternative music. For example, I'm not sure whether Arcade Fire would have been the forum's favorite for AOTY in 2011. Apparently, the Grammy committee is not much of a fan of urban music. Is that really a problem? Is it obligatory for urban releases to win big at the Grammys every 2 to 3 years? I understand that many people liked 'Lemonade' a lot, but what if the Grammy committee really considered '25' the better album? This sounds to me like there is a right opinion and a wrong one - and opinions can hardly ever be wrong or right. And I say this as someone who would've liked to see 'Channel Orange' winning over 'Babel' back in the day...
                        The thing is.. urban music does not win big every 2-3 years, it never does! Despite having the highest critical acclaim and impact. Black music has had the biggest impact in overall music over the past decades in most genres yet it is not rewarded. Neither Kendrick nor Kanye nor Beyoncé nor Frank have won big awards the past decade, despite producing some of the most influential and groundbreaking work, with incredible material which was generally acclaimed. It is systematic. Taylor Swift winning album of the year twice while the black artists keep being relegated to the black awards? No it's not subjective. And if the committee does not like black music, then be upfront about it and more artists will take the Frank Ocean route.

The only 'urban' artist who one big recently was Bruno Mars which in essence is a Pop artist and felt like a token. Macklemore winning over Kendrick Lamar? LOL

Being artistic, meaningful, political, innovative is not subjective, and should be rewarded.
                        I am the maniac, I am the ghoul
                        I'm in the shadows in the corners of my room

Comment

• Originally posted by theMathematician View Post
                          The thing is that taste in music is rarely objective, but it gets more objective if you increase the amount of people you ask about it. On this forum, there is little interest in rock and alternative music. For example, I'm not sure whether Arcade Fire would have been the forum's favorite for AOTY in 2011. Apparently, the Grammy committee is not much of a fan of urban music. Is that really a problem? Is it obligatory for urban releases to win big at the Grammys every 2 to 3 years? I understand that many people liked 'Lemonade' a lot, but what if the Grammy committee really considered '25' the better album? This sounds to me like there is a right opinion and a wrong one - and opinions can hardly ever be wrong or right. And I say this as someone who would've liked to see 'Channel Orange' winning over 'Babel' back in the day...
                          DnBLover summed up what my thoughts were when I read your post very well, but the other comment I had about your post was in its comparison of the forum to the Grammy committee. The committee is supposed to represent multiple genres of music; the forum is not an organization. And while the Grammy has gotten (slightly) better about nominating black artists for the major awards, they're still very bad about actually awarding to black artists. I'd say you'd have to go back to Outkast in 2004 to find a true representative of that genre winning.

Comment

• should have got wider exposure than it did
                            Waffles are checked cookies

Comment

• Originally posted by DnBLover View Post

The thing is.. urban music does not win big every 2-3 years, it never does! Despite having the highest critical acclaim and impact. Black music has had the biggest impact in overall music over the past decades in most genres yet it is not rewarded. Neither Kendrick nor Kanye nor Beyoncé nor Frank have won big awards the past decade, despite producing some of the most influential and groundbreaking work, with incredible material which was generally acclaimed. It is systematic. Taylor Swift winning album of the year twice while the black artists keep being relegated to the black awards? No it's not subjective. And if the committee does not like black music, then be upfront about it and more artists will take the Frank Ocean route.

The only 'urban' artist who one big recently was Bruno Mars which in essence is a Pop artist and felt like a token. Macklemore winning over Kendrick Lamar? LOL

Being artistic, meaningful, political, innovative is not subjective, and should be rewarded.
                              The fact that you missed the opportunity to include your Cutie fave in there

Comment

• There is a rumor going around in the Madonna crypt that Maria released the same song at least 20 times, dunno if true but how f**ked up though

Comment

• Originally posted by beredy View Post

It was always a boring drag to me. Never understood how it managed to top H100 for 16 weeks. Did it make everyone fall asleep and put the song on replay at the radios for all that time?
                                  Sometimes I even forget it happened until it's brought up when a song is about to snatch its record. Then I'll go give it a play because I then remembered I use to stan it. But unfortunately a lot of Mariah's songs are faced with this problem

Comment

• Originally posted by aRat View Post
                                    There is a rumor going around in the Madonna crypt that Maria released the same song at least 20 times, dunno if true but how f**ked up though
                                    Vadge invented that concept tho. And I don’t think Kween released them back to back like this:

Originally posted by Kaloki
                                    I don't understand why WBT still isn't at #1 tbh.

Comment

• Originally posted by Goldmoney View Post
                                      Vadge invented that concept tho. And I don’t think Kween released them back to back like this:

Always the trend setter never the follower

Comment

• Beauty is a must, Talent is a plus: DUA LIPA ♪ RIHANNA ♪ BEYONCE ♪ THE WEEKND

Comment

• Not Rita reposting this in ha story
                                          MY INSTAGRAM

Free Amazon Vouchers

Comment

• Originally posted by BeeBoy View Post

Not Rita reposting this in ha story
                                            Both are local tho so not that much of a feat

Comment

I wonder why she doesn't have AOTY or ROTY then following your logic?
                                              Never heard of Aoty and Roty.

Comment

• Originally posted by RayRay View Post

Never heard of Aoty and Roty.
                                                Album Of The Year and Record Of The Year. Two of the big 4 categories.
                                                MY INSTAGRAM

Free Amazon Vouchers

Comment

Album Of The Year and Record Of The Year. Two of the big 4 categories.
                                                  Okay. Well, Beyonce has so many Grammy's, I don't think anyone can be bothered she missed out on those.

Comment

• Rita Ora is a British star, so it's not fair to compare her British achievements with US artists' achievements in the UK. It would look otherwise if we compared them to her achievements in the US.

@ grammys and Beyoncé: I would've liked to see her win AOTY with 'Beyoncé' in 2015, but then again, I don't know Beck's album, so can't judge which one was the better.
                                                    ~ representing the LBC ~

Comment

Working...
                                                    X