Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pop Talk - General Music Discussion

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 'Stripped' is the kind of album which sounds nothing like the lead single. I can only wonder how many people bought it back in the day expecting party banger after party banger only to find an album with a lot of ballads. I mean, I like it, but it's not as easy listening as the singles may let you think it is.
    'Bionic' is one of most incoherent albums I know. It includes songs which are close to perfection and ones... which are really not that great.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by MrLeonix View Post
      Mariah’s “Music Box” was actually one of the biggest female albums and peaks in Europe, I think that album sold like 8million in Europe alone, it was massive.

      Britney never pulled those “Music Box” numbers ... but Britney’s peak was very integral in the sense she dominated different formats such as album sales + Hit singles + touring stats ... Not only her albums were selling but her songs were smashing the European charts at the same time and her OIDIA tour was huge in Germany. . . All around results.

      Several of those girls that had big selling albums / peaks in Europe (Norah, Anastacia, Mariah, etc) were not pulling that many hit songs or touring audiences.
      Music Box didn't have one single concert in Europe / no tour here... and still managed that. Mariah first visited Europe for a "tour" in 1996, giving 4 concerts in the continent. Her only concerts in Europe during the entire 1990s decade.

      EU Hot 100

      Sales
      1993 - #15 - Dreamlover
      1993 - #19 - Hero
      1994 - #1 (2x) - Without You
      1994 - #19 - Anytime you Need a Friend
      1994 - #7 - Endless Love
      1994 - #4 - All I want for Christmas Is You
      1995 - #4 - Fantasy
      1995 - #6 - One Sweet Day
      1996 - #39 - Open Arms (limited release)
      1996 - #19 - Always be my Baby
      1997 - #16 - Honey
      1997 - #61 Butterfly (limited release)
      1998 - #9 - My All

      Airplay
      1993 - #1 (4x) - Dreamlover
      1993 - #6 - Hero
      1994 - #2 - Without You
      1994 - #4 - Anytime You Need a Friend
      1994 - #3 - Endless Love
      1994 - #2 - All I want for Christmas Is You
      1995 - #1 (3x) - Fantasy
      1995 - #3 - One Sweet Day
      1996 - 13 - Open Arms
      1996 - #14 - Always be my Baby
      1997 - #2 - Honey
      1997 - #15 - Butterfly
      1998 - #16 - My All


      My Chart

      Comment


      • ^ Didn't Mariah sell out the Tokyo Dome in like 3 minues or something ? stevyy

        I mean she could easily have filled stadiums in Europe in 1993/1994

        Comment


        • Originally posted by InFamous View Post
          ^ Didn't Mariah sell out the Tokyo Dome in like 3 minues or something ? stevyy

          I mean she could easily have filled stadiums in Europe in 1993/1994
          What I read is that she sold out those 4 concerts in 1996. But there is no official data from the venues. That's such a flaw in her career... how can she have only had 4 concerts in Europe in her biggest decade? So dumb. I blame Tommy. But not touring gave her enough space to record and release 7 studio albums and a compilation and an Unplugged set.

          She sold out the Tokyo Dome (150,000 tickets, 3 shows) in 30 minutes. Back then... people had to probably phone in as the internet was a rare thing in 1996 - even in Japan.
          My Chart

          Comment


          • Ja Rule>>>50 Cent
            Diva!!!

            Comment


            • Originally posted by TIfan View Post
              Ja Rule>>>50 Cent
              Isaak Hayes> those guys

              edit: wait I hope we're talking about music only right? (I was)

              lol I never know on these threads anymore
              Last edited by AndiIversen; Fri April 2, 2021, 20:02.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by AndiIversen View Post

                Isaak Hayes> those guys

                edit: wait I hope we're talking about music only right? (I was)

                lol I never know on these threads anymore
                Lol
                yup, music
                Diva!!!

                Comment


                • Originally posted by stevyy View Post

                  What I read is that she sold out those 4 concerts in 1996. But there is no official data from the venues. That's such a flaw in her career... how can she have only had 4 concerts in Europe in her biggest decade? So dumb. I blame Tommy. But not touring gave her enough space to record and release 7 studio albums and a compilation and an Unplugged set.
                  I rather look back upon all those albums than on her live concerts. That said, I think it's more Mariah for not touring much in the early years than Tommy's "fault". She said in several interviews she didn't like to perform and didn't feel comfortable on stage. To this day, I still wonder sometimes how much she enjoys performing as she still has moments where she looks insecure in comparison to singers like Celine Dion, Whitney or Madonna.

                  I went to two of her concerts in 1996. Her concert in the Netherlands sold out so quickly I didn't get tickets (but was lucky a friend did and sold her brother's ticket to me). I was standing in line, but had to go home emtpy handed as it was sold out before it was my turn. So I went with my friend and together we also went to see Mariah in Paris. We went by coach and it was fun to go with a coach filled with Dutch Mariah fans. The girls that were standing in line behind me, were also on the coach.
                  My Instagram... - Click here

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by stevyy View Post

                    Music Box didn't have one single concert in Europe / no tour here... and still managed that. Mariah first visited Europe for a "tour" in 1996, giving 4 concerts in the continent. Her only concerts in Europe during the entire 1990s decade.
                    Music Box was huge here. Although Unplugged stayed on the charts even longer (116 weeks), Music Box sold more (600.000) and to this day remains one of the best sold albums in the Netherlands. It had four top 10 hits and stayed at #1 for 12 weeks (plus 18 weeks at #2). She would have sold out any venue back then.
                    My Instagram... - Click here

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by RayRay View Post

                      Music Box was huge here. Although Unplugged stayed on the charts even longer (116 weeks), Music Box sold more (600.000) and to this day remains one of the best sold albums in the Netherlands. It had four top 10 hits and stayed at #1 for 12 weeks (plus 18 weeks at #2). She would have sold out any venue back then.
                      Music Box was a monster era in the UK too. IT is certified 5 times platinum, same as Teenage Dream and I am Sasha Fierce. I think in the UK 5 times platinum and up is really indicative of a real monster era / enduring appeal of an album.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by InFamous View Post

                        Music Box was a monster era in the UK too. IT is certified 5 times platinum, same as Teenage Dream and I am Sasha Fierce. I think in the UK 5 times platinum and up is really indicative of a real monster era / enduring appeal of an album.
                        In the Netherlands 100.000 gives an artist a platinum status. So Music Box went 6x platinum here. That's really extraordinary.
                        My Instagram... - Click here

                        Comment


                        • Seeing as we are on page 666 this seems fitting

                          He dropped an instrumental version on Spotify titled Montero ( But Lil Nas X is silent the whole time version )

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by RayRay View Post

                            In the Netherlands 100.000 gives an artist a platinum status. So Music Box went 6x platinum here. That's really extraordinary.
                            Excellent, all the big girls like Madonna, Whitney, Mariah, Rihanna, Beyonce, Gaga, Christina, Katy, Kylie etc have at the very least a 5 times platinum album in the UK. Monster eras.
                            Last edited by InFamous; Fri April 2, 2021, 22:25.

                            Comment


                            • Does anything come to your mind when you read 'The Fame', 'Doo-Wops & Hooligans', 'Teenage Dream', 'AM' or 'Rumours'?

                              Comment


                              • Best sold albums in the Netherlands:

                                1. Michael Jackson / Thriller (800.000)

                                2. Queen / Greatest Hits II (760.000)

                                3. Queen / Greatest Hits (760.000)

                                4. André Rieu / Strauss & Co (750.000)

                                5. Marco Borsato / De Waarheid (700.000)

                                5. Meatloaf / Bat Out Of Hell (700.000)

                                7. Celine Dion / Falling Into You (600.000)

                                7. Mariah Carey / Music Box (600.000)

                                9. Ilse DeLange / World of Hurt (500.000)

                                9. Marco Borsato / De Bestemming (500.000)

                                9. Shania Twain / Come On Over (500.000)

                                9. Celine Dion / Let's Talk About Love (500.000)

                                9. Total Touch / Total Touch (500.000)

                                9. Marco Borsato / Als Geen Ander (500.000)

                                9. Soundtrack / The Bodyguard (500.000)

                                9. Michael Jackson / Bad (500.000)

                                9. Soundtrack / Saturday Night Fever (500.000)
                                My Instagram... - Click here

                                Comment


                                • ^Ilse
                                  Ne me cherche pas, je ne suis plus là, baby

                                  Comment


                                  • Too bad that Adele's and Caro Emerald's monster albums aren't on that list.

                                    She's lovely, isn't she? I like her album 'Changes' a lot .

                                    Comment


                                    • Damn Caro Emerald, that's a name I haven't seen in a long time
                                      Was low-key a stan of hers during the DSftCRF era and I also liked some of the 2nd album, but I'm not sure her music has aged that well, at least to me personally. I still enjoy some of it though I guess.
                                      Ne me cherche pas, je ne suis plus là, baby

                                      Comment


                                      • Originally posted by InFamous View Post

                                        Excellent, all the big girls like Madonna, Whitney, Mariah, Rihanna, Beyonce, Gaga, Christina, Katy, Kylie etc have at the very least a 5 times platinum album in the UK. Monster eras.
                                        5xP in the UK during the 1990s and up until the mid 2000s was a decent era. It bothers me beyond compare that Music Box was certified 5xP on October 1st, 1994... It's so odd that it wasn't able to add another platinum disk in the past 27 years. It was even outcharting that certifications date in the UK. I mean it continued to chart on and off until 1997 in the UK... lol.

                                        1993 - #1 Peak (x1) - 16 weeks charting
                                        1994 - #1 Peak (x5) - 52 weeks charting
                                        1995 - #20 Peak - 46 weeks charting
                                        1996 - #100 Peak - 14 weeks charting
                                        1997 - #175 Peak - 2 weeks charting
                                        Last edited by stevyy; Fri April 2, 2021, 23:01.
                                        My Chart

                                        Comment


                                        • Originally posted by stevyy View Post

                                          5xP in the UK during the 1990s and up until the mid 2000s was a decent era. It bothers me beyond compare that Music Box was certified 5xP on October 1st, 1994... It's so odd that it wasn't able to add another platinum disk in the past 27 years. It was even outcharting that certifications date in the UK. I mean it continued to chart on and off until 1997 in the UK... lol.
                                          It might be close to 6 then. I love how the UK certs are automatic!
                                          I still think 5 times plat later for a fluffy pop album like Teenage Dream is excellent. Especially considering the era has 7 top 10s and a top 20 in the UK.
                                          When you put the 200 million grossing tour on top of that.. WHEW what an all round era Katy delivered

                                          Incidentally the album records its 174th week on the UK album charts this week, at no 65.

                                          Comment


                                          • Originally posted by InFamous View Post

                                            It might be close to 6 then. I love how the UK certs are automatic!
                                            I still think 5 times plat later for a fluffy pop album like Teenage Dream is excellent. Especially considering the era has 7 top 10s and a top 20 in the UK.
                                            When you put the 200 million grossing tour on top of that.. WHEW what an all round era Katy delivered

                                            Incidentally the album records its 174th week on the UK album charts this week, at no 65.
                                            I read in an article from Music Week or sth... that Music Box only sold 1,1 million copies in the UK despite charting for 131 weeks, 36 of which in the top 10 (and 57 weeks in the top 20). It went thru 3 Xmas seasons (1993, 1994 and 1995). It should be at 8x platinum.
                                            My Chart

                                            Comment


                                            • I think “Hero” might’ve been her most known / famous song over here in Latin America ... also “My All” was a hit here.

                                              Anyways ... My All >>>>>> We Belong Together
                                              Rock lives forever: Led Zeppelin . Metallica . Pink Floyd . Nirvana . Radiohead . Pearl Jam . Oasis . Iron Maiden . Nine Inch Nails
                                              Approved Popstars: Michael Jackson . Madonna . Britney Spears . Beyoncé . Rihanna

                                              Comment


                                              • Originally posted by flopho View Post
                                                ^Ilse
                                                Ow i love Ilse as well!

                                                Comment


                                                • Originally posted by MrLeonix View Post
                                                  I think “Hero” might’ve been her most known / famous song over here in Latin America ... also “My All” was a hit here.

                                                  Anyways ... My All >>>>>> We Belong Together


                                                  Originally posted by beredy
                                                  When people see your post this is what they see:

                                                  GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT.

                                                  Comment


                                                  • We Belong Together, Always Be My Baby are probably her best two songs in a long list. My All is great, too, especially the remix. Always liked Heartbreaker, TMB, and DL too.

                                                    Comment

                                                    Working...
                                                    X