No announcement yet.

Pop Talk - General Music Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Music Box was the era that turned Mariah into a global superstar. She built her career nicely after that with Daydream and Butterfly. Don't know what happened after that but she should've toured Europe and Australia to invest in future success.
    Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

• Mariah wasn’t a touring artist. For some reason all her success on the charts didn’t translate into mega stadium worldwide tours.

Comment

• One of the best R&B songs of all time.

Comment

• Nelly was the King of 2002.
          Diva!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by TIfan View Post
            Nelly was the King of 2002.
            I agree. Hot in Herre and Dilemna are classics.

Xtina/Snoh ​​Aalegra/Rihanna/Lauren Hill/Rosalía/Nina Simone/Patti Smith/Kali Uchis

Comment

• Originally posted by Zeph View Post
              Mariah wasn’t a touring artist. For some reason all her success on the charts didn’t translate into mega stadium worldwide tours.
              In the early years Mariah said she felt uncomfortable on stage. She had only done a few tv-performances when in 1992 she gave her first "concert" with MTV-Unplugged. She did a short tour in the USA during the Music Box era.
              Mariah: "I was OK until I had to walk up this ramp on to the stage and I heard this deafening scream and it was kinda like everything in my life, this whole incredible whirlwind I'd been going through, it had all been leading up to that insane moment and there I was.... And then they killed me. Not the audience – they knew it was my first show, they were very supportive. I got really bad reviews, though. Well, there were a lot of critics out to get me: this girl's sold all these albums, she's never toured, let's get her. So they did. I turned on the TV in bed that night and the CNN guy was saying, 'The reviews are in and it's bad news for Mariah Carey.' It really hurt me a lot."
              My Instagram... - Click here

Comment

• If I remember correctly, Adele once said that she doesn't like flying, which is not the best condition to tour with 100+ concerts worldwide. I'm sure Mariah Carey and Adele love their music and singing, but not everyone loves performing in front of thousands of people for months. It would be the same for me.

Comment

• Originally posted by RayRay View Post

In the early years Mariah said she felt uncomfortable on stage. She had only done a few tv-performances when in 1992 she gave her first "concert" with MTV-Unplugged. She did a short tour in the USA during the Music Box era.
                  Mariah: "I was OK until I had to walk up this ramp on to the stage and I heard this deafening scream and it was kinda like everything in my life, this whole incredible whirlwind I'd been going through, it had all been leading up to that insane moment and there I was.... And then they killed me. Not the audience – they knew it was my first show, they were very supportive. I got really bad reviews, though. Well, there were a lot of critics out to get me: this girl's sold all these albums, she's never toured, let's get her. So they did. I turned on the TV in bed that night and the CNN guy was saying, 'The reviews are in and it's bad news for Mariah Carey.' It really hurt me a lot."
                  When I watch her shows from then, I see no flaw. Great arrangements and impeccable / outstanding vocals. She also looked amazing. I have no idea what they criticized her for? Not dancing? But she did dance, she didn't have a choreo tho... but when that's the benchmark for good reviews then there is something really wrong, cause Miss Streisand hasn't moved her body ever.
                  My Chart

Comment

• Originally posted by theMathematician View Post
                    If I remember correctly, Adele once said that she doesn't like flying, which is not the best condition to tour with 100+ concerts worldwide. I'm sure Mariah Carey and Adele love their music and singing, but not everyone loves performing in front of thousands of people for months. It would be the same for me.
                    Mariah couldn't excessively tour bc her voice would give out halfway through a bigger tour. 10-15 concert was what she could give us at the time and she did. Adele has the same vocal issues in terms of protecting her voice... she even had vocal surgery at one point.

Everyone is different and Mariah always needed to protect her voice. It's not a joke when she says she has to go on vocal rest in between shows. (She's been doing that ever since her first tour in 1994).
                    My Chart

Comment

• I totally get what you mean. Both, Adele and Mariah Carey, are in financially good conditions, so why even bother doing something you don't really enjoy and could possibly harm your health?

Comment

• Lil Nas X has revealed that his album will be a mix of styles - rap, dance, rock, pop. Cant wait versatile king.

Of course he is a genius at the rock/ pop fusion genre.

Comment

• This song is so iconic

Comment

• So scared for DMX
                            Diva!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Aaronsmithjune1 View Post
                              So I was just watching Love & Hip Hop Hollywood and found out that brandy took the guy whole eyeball out in the group Immature
                              What???!

Brandy Norwood the R&B singer? I can't imagine her being that choleric. She comes across as very peaceful.
                              Last edited by Loose; Sun April 4, 2021, 10:32.
                              My last.fm

Comment

• It's crazy to see the high amount of talent over the course of decades in such a short video. I would've probably chosen Kacey Musgraves over Macklemore & Ryan Lewis, but that's just me.

Comment

• I can't at a song called Call Me By Your Name is dethroning a song called Peaches
                                  Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

• I used to think YouTube views meant a lot and kinda reflected a song's popularity until i saw Justin Timberlake's stats there.

https://kworb.net/youtube/artist/justintimberlake.html

How is "Rehab" his fourth most-viewed music video ahead of "What Goes Around...", "SexyBack", "Rock Your Body", "My Love" etc. when the song or the video was NEVER that popular to begin with?

How does "SexyBack" 'only' have 228m views when it was one of the most iconic & defining Pop/R&B hits of the 2000s alongside let's say "Toxic" (512m), "Yeah!" (531m), "Crazy in Love" (537m) & "Umbrella" (682m)?

I always knew that YouTube recommendations affect these views a lot but I didn't realize the impact was this big. That's the only thing I could think of. The same reason why Future's "Life Is Good" has over 1.8b views and is still gaining 3m views per day.
                                    UKMIX R&B/Hip-Hop Albums of the Year 2020 (VOTING OPENS!)

Comment

• Diva!!!

Comment

• Carpenters won Grammy for Best New Artist. Didn't know that but considering their amazing discography that came before the Grammy and especially the stuff that came after it, I'd say totally deserved.

Comment

• What I was surprised about to find out: Robin Williams, the actor, was nominated for 'Best New Artist', though he didn't win. He never did any music though. I read that he either released comedy or spoken word recordings, which got me wondering about the following: A few politicians won Grammys for Best Spoken Word Recording, including Barrack Obama. Had it been possible to nominate him for 'Best New Artist' as well?

Comment

• Originally posted by luckyONE View Post
                                            Carpenters won Grammy for Best New Artist. Didn't know that but considering their amazing discography that came before the Grammy and especially the stuff that came after it, I'd say totally deserved.
                                            The Beatles also won 'Best New Artist'. Whitney Houston and Lady Gaga both did not win for technical reasons; the rules were changed right after them.
                                            Surprisingly, Michael Jackson never won. I'm not sure whether, at that time, they went by the respective debut album (I think it was 'Ben', wasn't it?) or by the breakthrough album (I guess that was 'Off The Wall'.), but maybe they had been hesistant to give the award to a child at that time.

Comment

• I am currently enjoying N*Sync‘s No Strings Attached album from 2000. Some fairly good uptempo bops on it.
                                              My last.fm

Comment

• Originally posted by theMathematician View Post
                                                What I was surprised about to find out: Robin Williams, the actor, was nominated for 'Best New Artist', though he didn't win. He never did any music though. I read that he either released comedy or spoken word recordings, which got me wondering about the following: A few politicians won Grammys for Best Spoken Word Recording, including Barrack Obama. Had it been possible to nominate him for 'Best New Artist' as well?
                                                He sang on the Aladdin soundtrack.
                                                My Instagram... - Click here

Comment

• Good to know. However, the nomination for 'Best New Artist' happened a decade before the soundtrack got released. His first few nominations were in spoken word categories.

Comment

• Call me by your name

Comment

Working...
                                                    X