No announcement yet.

Pop Talk - General Music Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The best halftime show I've seen and I've seen quite a few at this point. Most people at the super bowl party I was at seemed to agree. Both ladies killed it.

Comment

• Shakira and J Lo were on fire. Not even a huge fan of J Lo, but have to admit she killed it. Miles ahead of whatever Maroon 5 was trying to do last year.

Comment

• Omg I can’t believe Shakira sang the first line of Ojos Así. It’s one of her best songs. I wish she had performed more of it

Comment

• Originally posted by Aaronsmithjune1 View Post

Hehhdhydhs.

She's literally scrambling for a place. She's gonna be on the level of Katy Perry in 5 years and she knows it. That's why she has decided to speak on multiple topics. Trying to find a audience to latch on to. Lol
          I don’t know how she has managed to keep her audience of tweens all these years. I mean she’s pushing 30 now

Comment

• Glad they delivered a great halftime show after media and stans once again tried to pit women against each other and false claims of them not getting along and fighting all the time.
            MY INSTAGRAM

Free Amazon Vouchers

Comment

• It was a lackluster Halftime Show. Shakira was ok but her setlist was a mess, JLO had much better televised performances than this. They also had zero chemistry, maybe they should've done solo HT shows, this way it seemed very rushed.

Enough with pop divas though, they should bring rock back to Halftime Shows.
              Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

• Originally posted by spiritboy View Post
                It was a lackluster Halftime Show. Shakira was ok but her setlist was a mess, JLO had much better televised performances than this. They also had zero chemistry, maybe they should've done solo HT shows, this way it seemed very rushed.

Enough with pop divas though, they should bring rock back to Halftime Shows.
                All of this. Imo it was no need for guests when it was already 2 huge stars on the stage. The I like it performance was cute but pointless as hell. Felt like they were just running through songs. no rock bands yet. Let's get some rappers. Kendrick Lamar, lil Wayne ,eminem . Even kanye could put on a great show.

Comment

• This was a very good and quite refreshing half hour show. I was ready to chime in with my "who did it better", but after watching the performance twice I have to say they both brought it. And if you're going to pick a favorite then you're going with what you prefer more as both ladies showed off very different personas and approach.

Shakira was (as usual) in her usual more natural and relaxed approach. I think her set was actually much smoother and she showed off a lot. I liked how she used the stage(s). And once the guitar riff of Empire came on, the crowd went wild. Even if they don't know the song (which they probably don't) the cheers were the strongest of the night. Granted, most of the people in the audience are middle aged old men who prefer rock music so it kind of figures, but those cheers do say that including Empire was a right choice. And the interpolation fit perfectly. Ojos Asi made a brief appearance. I didn't expect it, but when it came on I was so happy she did it, even if it was 30 seconds and one line only. Thank you for throwing bones to your fans Shaki (the same goes with an even briefer Chantaje appearance). She did her belly dance, body twitching moves, played the guitar, was sleazy on the floor, crowd surfed, played the drums. Nailed it! And I loved that close up during Empire when she looked at the cam. The simple nude makeup on her is just beautiful.

J.Lo's set was obviously more expensive with the lightning and the set design. I mean she's J.Lo and that's her thing we've grown accustomed to, so doing anything else would've been a surprise. She looked great, danced great - but alas she is or at least started out as a professional dancer and she kept us amazed with her dancing skills all these years, so again - we didn't expect anything less than her. Her set wasn't as smoothly mixed for me as was Shakira's, but overall it was still a great selection of songs. And can we talk about her male dancers? The pure sex going on there. I just can't. The part with the Latino kids and Born in the USA was pure genius and I'm glad she kind of went risky there a little. That's definitely worth a couple of extra points in my book. I wish she had some kind of a slower moment where she got her face closeup too, but then again I can't even think of a slower song of hers that would fit into this setlist. She didn't release that many slower songs as singles and the ones I can think of (Ain't It Funny and All I Have) just don't fit here at all.

The ending with Let's Get Loud/Waka Waka was perfect mashup.

But can we talk about the mixing? Was it them or was it the sound system? Whenever, Wherever, Waiting for Tonight and On the Floor kind of missed the oooomph I expected them to have.

To finish this off - both girls DID IT. I don't think I have a favorite as both offered their own style of a show and I liked what each of them offered. It's like comparing apples to oranges. And this might be an unpopular opinion, but I think pairing them together was a great idea.
                  I have received many gifts from God,
                  but this is the first time I have ever received a gift from a goddess

Don McLean on Madonna's version of American Pie

Comment

• I'm glad Demi Lovato did a good job with Star Spangled Banner.
                    Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

• So no new music/tour announcements for either of them?

Comment

• Originally posted by BeeBoy View Post
                        Glad they delivered a great halftime show after media and stans once again tried to pit women against each other and false claims of them not getting along and fighting all the time.
                        I agree. I loved their halftime show. I've just seen it and it was a GREAT party. I love how their whole performance together was a huge middle finger up to those who hate latinas / latin people.

It was a great show. They can DANCE.
                        My Chart

Comment

• Originally posted by Rihab View Post
                          The best halftime show I've seen and I've seen quite a few at this point. Most people at the super bowl party I was at seemed to agree. Both ladies killed it.
                          They really did. From a performance stand point... it really was the best one yet. However, don't fight me, but I also still cherish Madonna's as one of the greatest too... simply for her doing Vogue with that entrance on the throne. It was regal.
                          My Chart

Comment

• Originally posted by stevyy View Post

They really did. From a performance stand point... it really was the best one yet. However, don't fight me, but I also still cherish Madonna's as one of the greatest too... simply for her doing Vogue with that entrance on the throne. It was regal.
                            Madonna's performance is still easily the most technically impressive one. That stage and those projections on the whole field. Just as as the first time. The setlist could've been better and she didn't need LMFAO, but still her show is the best one for me. Not because I love Madonna, but goddammit that entrance and stage. Some girls will never have tours like her 15 min performance on SB.
                            Last edited by beredy; Mon February 3rd, 2020, 13:21.

Comment

• the halftime show reminded me to play Shaky and J.Lo more and to appreciate them more. They did so well. J.Lo with her daughter was so cute and the reveal of the flag was so well done. I hope some 98 y.o. Fox News watchers fell from their chairs and hate-called the network and exposed themselves in that way.
                              My Chart

Comment

• This was the best half time show I've seen. It was very very fast but they kept the energy really high and brought it. I loved the political bit too, with Puerto Rico and Born is the USA. That was a powerful message.

5/5. You can tell JLo lipsyncs better than Shakira but that's about it. It was really really good. I'm impressed.
                                I am the maniac, I am the ghoul
                                I'm in the shadows in the corners of my room

Comment

• I wish JLo performed Booty with a surprise appearance of Eggy Azealia! Other than that good show from both her and Shak
                                  last.fm

Comment

• Originally posted by stevyy View Post
                                    the halftime show reminded me to play Shaky and J.Lo more and to appreciate them more. They did so well. J.Lo with her daughter was so cute and the reveal of the flag was so well done. I hope some 98 y.o. Fox News watchers fell from their chairs and hate-called the network and exposed themselves in that way.
                                    I am disappointed. I thot you were gonna say fell from their chairs while having a heart attack and dying

Comment

• That two-second Ja Rule soundbite is the most relevant he’s been in 15 years.
                                      Originally posted by Kaloki
                                      I don't understand why WBT still isn't at #1 tbh.

Comment

• Originally posted by Goldmoney View Post
                                        That two-second Ja Rule soundbite is the most relevant he’s been in 15 years.
                                        Some people will never get the chance to touch the SB stage so she won

Comment

• Originally posted by aRat View Post

Some people will never get the chance to touch the SB stage so she won

He hasn’t been this relevant since you disowned him under duress from Fiddy.

Originally posted by Kaloki
                                          I don't understand why WBT still isn't at #1 tbh.

Comment

• Let me hear you say snatchedT

Comment

• Why am I just now finding out about this?

Comment

• Originally posted by Aaronsmithjune1 View Post
                                                Why am I just now finding out about this?

Bey been around we been knew

Comment

• Justin looks like such a douchebag in that picture.
                                                  "Is Stalin on your shoulder..."
                                                  https://soundcloud.com/jaspervanbeveren-1/jasper-russia
                                                  "..as he was with his composers?"

Comment

• Originally posted by Hejira View Post
                                                    Justin looks like such a douchebag in that picture.
                                                    And he so would have gotten it back then

Comment

Working...
                                                    X