No announcement yet.

Pop Talk - General Music Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Imagine trying to say JLO is not a real Latina when both her parents are of Puerto Rican origin. Where you were born does not change your roots or the blood that runs through your veins. Also seeing as JLO's parents ( and millions of other Latinos ) simply emigrated to the US in search of a better life for themselves and their families, it is a totally ignorant comment to make and completely illogical to deny her origins and roots because she was born in the US. Gloria Estefan and her family fled to the US when she was 2 at most, Gloria grew up in Miami and certainly did not face any "language barrier" either.

Where are Beyonces Spanish roots though ?

Last edited by InFamous; Fri June 18, 2021, 03:19.
    Zero tolerance for : bigotry, racism, wilful ignorance.
    Pronouns: He / Him

Comment

• Yeah latin roots ... but Jenny is a woman from the Bronx and she doesn’t even speak Spanish properly. She won’t ever be a native latina. She’s a NY girl.
      Rock lives forever: Led Zeppelin . Metallica . Pink Floyd . Nirvana . Radiohead . Pearl Jam . Oasis . Iron Maiden . Nine Inch Nails
      Approved Popstars: Michael Jackson . Madonna . Britney Spears . Beyoncé . Rihanna

Comment

• That makes no sense. Both her parents are Latino. Therefore she is Latina. A Latina who was born in the US but still a Latina.

Are you trying to say that if you moved to Europe with an Argentinian woman as a couple had a child with that Argentinian woman in the UK you would not consider your child Argentinian or Latino because he was born in another country?

Extremely weird perspective if so.
        Last edited by InFamous; Fri June 18, 2021, 02:02.

Comment

• Puerto Ricans are USA citizens .... so can it be called emigration what her parents did? USA legally recognized citizens moving from one place to another. It’s not like her parents were Mexicans struggling to cross the border or something.

Anyways ... Her parents were the ones that moved and did that process, not J.Lo .... She was born and raised and lived as an American her whole life.

Shakira is an actual woman born and raised in South America who conquered the world. That’s true Latin pride IMO.
          Rock lives forever: Led Zeppelin . Metallica . Pink Floyd . Nirvana . Radiohead . Pearl Jam . Oasis . Iron Maiden . Nine Inch Nails
          Approved Popstars: Michael Jackson . Madonna . Britney Spears . Beyoncé . Rihanna

Comment

• It is not necessary to discredit one woman to celebrate another. But I know that's your thing so whatever makes you happy I guess.

Comment

• I mean ... Mariah also has Latin roots and no one says she’s latina and she isn’t trying the latin persona.

Comment

• Mariah has been talking about her Venezuelan heritage since the start of her career and it has been referenced many times actually. As well as that Mariah has songs in Spanish through the 90s and has done Spanish versions of songs here and there. The last I believe in 2013 being Hermosa. She also did versions of Hero, Open Arms and My All in Spanish.

Comment

• Eventhough Kween strongly identifies with and is completely allied to black culture, she still honors every layer of her heritage, hence all the Spanish covers like Hero and My All.

Oh, oop already mentioned.
                  Greatest Of All Time

Comment

• Let us not discuss the absolute mess of a translation for Hero though. Horrendous.
                    El Amor que sońe was decent and apart from a few awkward moments in pronunciation Mi Todo was quite good.
                    Last edited by InFamous; Fri June 18, 2021, 04:15.

Comment

• Also JLO has been singing in Spanish since the start of her musical career. Flawless and showing the beautiful Boricua accent of her parents and heritage.

Comment

• It’s not about singing in Spanish (even Madonna has done that) ..... It’s about exploiting the latin culture. Mariah was never like that. She knows her roots but she’s not 24/7 saying I’m latina and screaming “latino power” everywhere

.... J.Lo was never as involved in Latin culture (besides recording what? 4-5 spanish songs like 20 years ago?) .. until it became trendy during late 00s (and now she records in spanish more than ever before and works with every trendy latin artist when back in the day it was the opposite and she was even trying to be urban and R&B working with USA rappers and R&B tunes during the early 00s and proud about being “Jenny From The Block”) ... then from one day to another she started behaving like a struggling immigrant latina woman and fighting for latin rights when in reality she never faced what true latinos face and when she was simply an all American girl .. as American as Hillary Clinton.
                        Last edited by MrLeonix; Fri June 18, 2021, 04:54.

Comment

• BTW I went and listened to Mariah’s “Mi Todo” for the first time and yeah ... It’s completely understandable that she doesn’t have the pronunciation ..... but who was in charge of the tragic translation and those awkward forced unnatural and even wrong sentences?

Comment

• Not JLO's fault that the trendy latin producers and artists want to work with a Latina legend

Comment

• Also, Shakira isnt 100 percent Latina, her father is from Lebanese heritage and he was actually born in New York.
                              Last edited by InFamous; Fri June 18, 2021, 16:09.

Comment

• Of course they want to work with her. She’s the one in the position of power who is an all American girl, USA citizen with a famous career in America and many latin artists who didn’t have those opportunities and were not born in America and who are native latinos genuinely trying hard to make it big outside Latin America and break that language barrier and reach the anglo markets despite English not being their first languages quickly fall for that.

J.Lo was built by Americans, a white American man like Tommy Mottola and even rappers and business men like P.Diddy .... native Latin Artists have to overcome other types of issues.
                                Last edited by MrLeonix; Fri June 18, 2021, 05:55.

Comment

• And Shakira was born and raised in Barranquilla Colombia, the coast of Colombia with Spanish being her first and native language. Shaki is one of us, of course. It’s very common that everyone in Latin America is mixed and our parents and grandparents come from everywhere around the world yet we were born and raised here and we are from Latin America, this is where we come from.

Comment

• So I guess JLO is helping to further the career of those Latino producers then. You're the sort of person who would attack JLO if she did nothing with her platform to help Latinos or bring attention to Latinos but when she does she's exploiting. As transparent as ever.

Comment

• Yeah .. I Don’t know , that little game that she plays like “I’m latina like all of you” doesn’t make it for me ... nah.

... Anyways, speaking of Shakira, I admire her. Based on the times she was born and was growing up Colombia was a quite difficult place to live, she basically lived all her childhood and early teens during the Pablo Escobar era in Colombia which were complicated years and definitely times of terror for the country.

Comment

• aRat I am cleaning the kitchen and Levitating came on and I have to say. It's pretty fire.
                                        I am the maniac, I am the ghoul
                                        I'm in the shadows in the corners of my room

Comment

• Originally posted by DnBLover View Post
                                          aRat I am cleaning the kitchen and Levitating came on and I have to say. It's pretty fire.
                                          The fact that it took you so long to realise this fact
                                          DUA LIPA - RIHANNA - THE WEEKND - DOJA CAT
                                          98 - OUT

Comment

• It took many people that long. There's a reason it took like 30 weeks to peak in the US.
                                            Pro: freedom of speech
                                            Contra: cancel culture

Comment

• F word excellence
                                              DUA LIPA - RIHANNA - THE WEEKND - DOJA CAT
                                              98 - OUT

Comment

• Levitating is still shite... cool is the smash on that album.
                                                My Chart

Comment

• This is the real Dua Lipa. THIS.

But people will choose genericness over art.

Comment

• Interesting and informative perspective from an objective latina woman on JLO and all she has done for Latinos in Hollywood.

How Jennifer Lopez Paved the Way for a Generation of Latinas
                                                    Lopez single-handedly increased representation for women like me - Irina Gonzalez

" For a generation of women like me who grew up rarely seeing themselves reflected in pop culture, Lopez changed the Hollywood landscape, single-handedly increasing Latino representation in film, television, and fashion"

"Despite how slowly those numbers are rising, representation for Latinos in popular culture is indeed growing—and much of that is thanks to the influence of Jennifer Lopez over the past three decades. Many were first introduced to J.Lo, as she would later become known, during her stint as a dancer on the sketch-comedy show In Living Color during its 1990-1994 run"

"She's a change agent, having given visibility to our culture and our people through the massive media empire she's created that sees the spotlight shine on her cultural pride, her work, her talent, and her drive," says Isabel González Whitaker, a Latina author and journalist"

Full story - https://www.oprahdaily.com/entertain...ina-influence/

Comment

Working...
                                                    X