X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Zeph View Post
    Rihanna, Perry and Gaga from the last decade definitely would be my top 3

All time:
    Madonna*, Tina Turner, toss up for #3 depending on mood.

*that is completely disregarding the MX era which has yet to end with the live concert to air on Netflix I hear. (Yawn).
    totally forgot

Marina would be #1 from the last decade

Comment

• Originally posted by stevyy View Post

who told you? Must have been stupid people...

Mariah Carey is the 3rd best selling overall female recording artist. She's always been third. Before Celine was overtaking her in 1999, she was 3rd behind Madonna and Whitney. Then she surpassed Whitney to reclaim 3rd position.
      The lies

Mariah is only the 5th best selling female since Madonna, Rihanna, Taylor & Celina have outsold her
      BEAUTY IS A MUST, TALENT IS A PLUS
      98 - OUT

Comment

• Poor dem babies (Mariah's kids), by the time they'll be 18, they will have so many step brothers and sisters

Nick Cannon should keep it in his pants for a while.
        Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

• Originally posted by spiritboy View Post
          Poor dem babies (Mariah's kids), by the time they'll be 18, they will have so many step brothers and sisters

Nick Cannon should keep it in his pants for a while.
          he has like 10 children now.
          My Chart

Comment

• Originally posted by aRat View Post

The lies

Mariah is only the 5th best selling female since Madonna, Rihanna, Taylor & Celina have outsold her
            not in sales, bebe. Anyway... albums sales is the most important category for me and there she is far and ahead #3 alltime. The only female act (past or present) to have sold 30 million albums units in all three major music markets: North America, Europe and Asia.
            My Chart

Comment

• Actually Rihanna does have more PURE and Actual records sold / sales than Mariah. She’s the 2nd best selling female artist of all time only behind Madonna on pure sales alone (not including streaming).
              Last edited by MrLeonix; Tue June 22, 2021, 03:08.
              Rock lives forever: Led Zeppelin . Metallica . Pink Floyd . Nirvana . Radiohead . Pearl Jam . Oasis . Iron Maiden . Nine Inch Nails
              Approved Popstars: Michael Jackson . Madonna . Britney Spears . Beyoncé . Rihanna

Comment

• Originally posted by MrLeonix View Post
                Actually Rihanna does have more PURE and Actual records sold / sales than Mariah. She’s the 2nd best selling female artist of all time only behind Madonna on pure sales alone (not including streaming).
                Yea with most of those coming from 0.99 cents digital singles. Mariah has sold 110 million more albums so... These comparisons are useless. 1 album does not equal one single, more like 10-12.
                I am the maniac, I am the ghoul
                I'm in the shadows in the corners of my room

Comment

• Originally posted by DnBLover View Post

Yea with most of those coming from 0.99 cents digital singles. Mariah has sold 110 million more albums so... These comparisons are useless. 1 album does not equal one single, more like 10-12.
                  Well the term "records" encompasses everything - singles, albums, dvds, music videos, ringtones ( and always has, for everyone)

Obviously Mariah has sold far more albums than Rihanna but that is a different list if you want to break it down into components but records is all encompassing.
                  Zero tolerance for : bigotry, racism, wilful ignorance.
                  Pronouns: He / Him

Comment

• aRat We're Good was certified Gold in the US recently. Dua serving her Bon Apetit

Comment

• Originally posted by InFamous View Post
                      aRat We're Good was certified Gold in the US recently. Dua serving her Bon Apetit
                      Both songs are nice, surprised neither were hits.
                      ​​​​​​
                      I am the maniac, I am the ghoul
                      I'm in the shadows in the corners of my room

Comment

Well the term "records" encompasses everything - singles, albums, dvds, music videos, ringtones ( and always has, for everyone)

Obviously Mariah has sold far more albums than Rihanna but that is a different list if you want to break it down into components but records is all encompassing.
                        I guess whatever your preference is... albums or single... depends on your generation. When I was first introduced to music, the albums market was thriving. Singles sales were important too. Here in Germany a common single cost around 7€ (or 14 Deutsche Mark) for the most part of the 1990s.

An album cost on average 35 DM (17€) and so I come from an era in which albums sales and albums charts were much more prominent and important than singles charts. (However, singles charts were also mighty important and valued). But selling albums meant that you had made it and turned acts from successful acts into full blown superstars.

The good old times. Then digital singles sales came around in 1999 (and became legal in 2003) and a component of the charts in 2004-2005 globally.

And... the whole music industry changed... from albums-based to singles based. And now with streaming... acts often chart their entire albums tracks on the singles charts. But since all of that is still so new... I am still most interested in the albums performances.

And... as you were alluding... different ways of purchasing / listening and consuming music... make it incredibly hard to compare acts from different eras.

The only current act... which kinda has the same aura of super-seller status as the legendary 5 (Madonna, Céline, Mariah, Whitney & Janet) is... Adele to me. She - as a new pop girl - represents the old ways and times. She single handedly brought the album back.

In the end I don't care what position Mariah ranks at... All I know is that her success / talent and whatever is incomparable to anyone who is popular today. <3
                        My Chart

Comment

• NZ just introduced a new chart. It's a top 10 about the best-selling singles of the week performed in Maori. Considering that it's a country of only 5 mio. inhabitants, only a small part of all best-selling singles are performed by national artists and only a small part of all singles performed by national artists are performed in Maori, the average No. 1 Maori single must sell like double digit numbers per week.
                          Last edited by theMathematician; Tue June 22, 2021, 12:33.
                          Pro: freedom of speech
                          Contra: cancel culture

Comment

• Originally posted by theMathematician View Post
                            NZ just introduced a new chart. It's a top 10 about the best-selling singles of the week performed in Maori. Considering that it's a country of only 5 mio. inhabitants, only a small part of all best-selling singles are performed by national artists and only a small part of all singles performed by national artists are performed in Maori, the average No. 1 Maori single must sell like double digit numbers per week.
                            such a wonderful idea. I'd support that for all local cultures and languages. A chart of the best selling songs performed in Low German (Plattdeutsch)... would be amazing.
                            My Chart

Comment

I guess whatever your preference is... albums or single... depends on your generation. When I was first introduced to music, the albums market was thriving. Singles sales were important too. Here in Germany a common single cost around 7€ (or 14 Deutsche Mark) for the most part of the 1990s.

An album cost on average 35 DM (17€) and so I come from an era in which albums sales and albums charts were much more prominent and important than singles charts. (However, singles charts were also mighty important and valued). But selling albums meant that you had made it and turned acts from successful acts into full blown superstars.

The good old times. Then digital singles sales came around in 1999 (and became legal in 2003) and a component of the charts in 2004-2005 globally.

And... the whole music industry changed... from albums-based to singles based. And now with streaming... acts often chart their entire albums tracks on the singles charts. But since all of that is still so new... I am still most interested in the albums performances.

And... as you were alluding... different ways of purchasing / listening and consuming music... make it incredibly hard to compare acts from different eras.

The only current act... which kinda has the same aura of super-seller status as the legendary 5 (Madonna, Céline, Mariah, Whitney & Janet) is... Adele to me. She - as a new pop girl - represents the old ways and times. She single handedly brought the album back.

In the end I don't care what position Mariah ranks at... All I know is that her success / talent and whatever is incomparable to anyone who is popular today. <3
                              I understand nostalgia, but some generation gets outsold by others. As for Janet, she has been outsold (records) by Katy, Christina or Shakira* (let alone Gaga, Taylor or Britney)
                              source: chartmasters

Xtina / Nathy Peluso / Rosalía / Nina Simone / Lauren Hill

Comment

• Records should not be counted on a 1: 1 scale, but how much they were worth in the store. Some albums are more expensive because they are double-disc, so they brought more profit. And the same singles... but how to check it.
                                Back to Basics was sold twice as expensive (because it's a two-disc album). And there is a difference if someone sells singles for 49 cents or an album for 99 cents...

Last edited by likeidogoldlink; Tue June 22, 2021, 14:17.

Comment

• But now we live in an era of streaming. Big albums seem smaller than in the cds age, while the big singles seem to be smash monsters.
                                  I am curious what the certification of Thriller (song) would look like if it was released in 2020. 20x platinum in the USA?

Comment

But actual albums ( as in someone purchasing an entire album be it physical or digital) is almost nothing these days ( except in very rare cases) The traction of most albums these days comes from their singles, the streaming and download of those singles and video views of those singles.

There are very few albums that would even go anywhere near being Gold on actual pure sales in the US these days. I mean Chromatica is around 350k pure and that was with a lot of merch bundles and tour bundles. ( And this was the same for many artists until Billboard pulled the plug on that ) Dua with FN I dont think has even crossed 100k pure in the US or barely. Taylor still has very healthy pure sales for Folklore but she had like 30 different versions of the album available so I think Evermore is a better reflection of her pure sales power ( still very strong) but nowhere near being Platinum on pure sales alone either, currently just under 600k.

Comment

such a wonderful idea. I'd support that for all local cultures and languages. A chart of the best selling songs performed in Low German (Plattdeutsch)... would be amazing.
                                      I think it's a good idea too! Maybe it will help promote music in that language in their country.

Comment

• Originally posted by likeidogoldlink View Post
                                        Records should not be counted on a 1: 1 scale, but how much they were worth in the store. Some albums are more expensive because they are double-disc, so they brought more profit. And the same singles... but how to check it.
                                        Back to Basics was sold twice as expensive (because it's a two-disc album). And there is a difference if someone sells singles for 49 cents or an album for 99 cents...

You can be sure plenty of those Back to Basics were fished out of bargain bins and sold for half price or part of a stock clearance where you could get three for ten or something. I remember seeing Bionic in bargain bins by Week 3.

Comment

• That new Ed Sheerat song sounds like a total BAWP. Maybe spiritboy made some points about him
                                          98 - OUT

Comment

I ain't readin all that
                                            But good 4 u
                                            Or sorry that happened
                                            98 - OUT

Comment

aRat We're Good was certified Gold in the US recently. Dua serving her Bon Apetit
                                              It aged so badly for me (the GP agrees, I fear). I lowkey prefer Bop ApeTIT
                                              98 - OUT

Comment

It aged so badly for me (the GP agrees, I fear). I lowkey prefer Bop ApeTIT
                                                I still love and listen to it regularly. At least it easily outpeaked and outcertified Dullical.

Comment

You can be sure plenty of those Back to Basics were fished out of bargain bins and sold for half price or part of a stock clearance where you could get three for ten or something. I remember seeing Bionic in bargain bins by Week 3.
                                                  And I saw Witness for 5 cents on first week. Give me proof, don't write nonsense.

Comment

That new Ed Sheerat song sounds like a total BAWP. Maybe spiritboy made some points about him
                                                    Hopefully
                                                    Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

Working...
                                                    X