No announcement yet.

Pop Talk - General Music Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On more uplifting news, WBT is sitting at #68 on US Itunes. <3 (while OSD is not far behind). <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

My Chart

Comment

• If any body has any good documentaries about K-pop, I would like to be recommended some titles. I'm particularly looking for the whistle-blowing variety. I remember seeing one a while back on Netflix about female groups and how they are groomed by these companies pretty much since childhood, but i'm having some issues finding anything that delves deeper into the subject and provides an honest look at the industry.

-not sure if this is the right place for this post btw..
      Everything, it only fades...

Comment

• Originally posted by Robby View Post
        If any body has any good documentaries about K-pop, I would like to be recommended some titles. I'm particularly looking for the whistle-blowing variety. I remember seeing one a while back on Netflix about female groups and how they are groomed by these companies pretty much since childhood, but i'm having some issues finding anything that delves deeper into the subject and provides an honest look at the industry.

Colbie might know

You could also try the K-Pop thread?

Comment

• I think Billboard just desperately wants to keep that sales component - they've always been committed to it. For a while back in the 90s, songs that were #1 for weeks on radio couldn't chart if they lacked that sales component. There had to be a single.

Comment

• Originally posted by cheapthrills View Post
            I think Billboard just desperately wants to keep that sales component - they've always been committed to it. For a while back in the 90s, songs that were #1 for weeks on radio couldn't chart if they lacked that sales component. There had to be a single.
            true.. they even kept sales at a share of 25% for the H100 tabulation between 2000-2003 when sales were dead...and even tiny EU countries overtook the US in physical singles sales.

Now, sales are in the same state of mysery and the whole spiel is continuing on. Also, those weejly 170k website sales for those BTS tracks screams fraud... bc it is so stable and the songs are so unpopular with streaming... that I'm wondering who is buying those tracks?
            My Chart

Comment

• Why has no one been talking about Willow in here ? Just heard Transparent Soul for the first time and love it. Love the lyrics.
              Zero tolerance for : bigotry, racism, wilful ignorance.
              Pronouns: He / Him

Comment

• Originally posted by stevyy View Post

true.. they even kept sales at a share of 25% for the H100 tabulation between 2000-2003 when sales were dead...and even tiny EU countries overtook the US in physical singles sales.

Now, sales are in the same state of mysery and the whole spiel is continuing on. Also, those weejly 170k website sales for those BTS tracks screams fraud... bc it is so stable and the songs are so unpopular with streaming... that I'm wondering who is buying those tracks?
                Their fans are. Same as the same thousands of Swifties who bought Folklores 17 editions over and over again and evey different vinyl she released. To me its no different than the same fans mass streaming the same song week after week.

Comment

• Just drove home from work blasting The Original Lion King Soundtrack and I got every bit of my life!!!
                  Diva!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Robby View Post
                    If any body has any good documentaries about K-pop, I would like to be recommended some titles. I'm particularly looking for the whistle-blowing variety. I remember seeing one a while back on Netflix about female groups and how they are groomed by these companies pretty much since childhood, but i'm having some issues finding anything that delves deeper into the subject and provides an honest look at the industry.

Sorry, i don't know any good documentaries unfortunately.

Comment

• Considering sales are mostly a relic, the weighing of them is probably too high. There have been a bunch of shady #1s already this past year or so with the sales being weighted as they are.

I think Billboard has created a feedback loop - the sales make a difference for a quick #1, and have essentially made the charts the only reason acts promote singles. If Billboard weighed sales less, I think it would be a more accurate reflection of what people are listening to. But it would also probably kill the sales of singles altogether.

Even if they change it, there's a long history of gaming the charts anyhow. A decade ago, labels might discount a single if it looked close to the top. In the 90s they might wait to release the single until airplay was high so they'd get a big debut. Or they'd release a single for a short period of time just so it would count. Before that, charts had little transparency so who knows what shenanigans ensued. I read this item a few weeks ago that suggested Baker Street was set to be #1, only for the label to strong-arm Billboard into giving Andy Gibb a seventh week at the top.

Apologizes for yet another word wall

Comment

• Originally posted by stevyy View Post
                        fun fact... the two Mariah songs above have both been named the song of the decade: 1990s, and 2000s.
                        Damn bitches be so pressed over this

Comment

• Originally posted by TheRealest View Post
                          Damn bitches be so pressed over this
                          I dont really understand why tbh. As for bringing the world argument no one every said anything about the world. I mean the award is given by Billboard. Obviously is a US based award

Comment

• RIGHT like girl

Comment

• My God I am Obsessed with this song. I am SCREAMING the lyrics on my mid afternoon walk

Poor the other pedestrians

I knew a boy just like you
                              He's a snake, just like you
                              Such a fake, just like you, but I can see the truth

Transparent soul
                              I can see right through, just so you know
                              Transparent soul
                              I can see right through, just so you know
                              Willow went HARD and I love it

Comment

• I hope this smash for her and I hope her team has a strong promotion plan. She should sign to roc nation or Parkwood. Because Megan & Chloe and Halle gets hella promotion

Comment

• Debbie Gibson wrote her new single with DJ Tracy Young. A great dance track is the result:

My Instagram... - Click here

Comment

• Been listening for hours. Normani really ate

Comment

• The song, the video, the looks, the sample. R&B masterpiece

Comment

• 80% of R&B music puts me to sleep, so Normani song disappointed me big time. And despite CardiB feat, it won't be a hit.
                                        Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

• BTS charts manipulation news:

Internal conflicts and fights withing the mass buying plant employees on which song to support, led for Butter to probably exit the top 5 this week.
                                          My Chart

Comment

• Originally posted by spiritboy View Post
                                            80% of R&B music puts me to sleep, so Normani song disappointed me big time. And despite CardiB feat, it won't be a hit.
                                            Today's stuff I agree, but the 90s and 00s were really great. I don't think Wild Side will do any better than Motivation and hearing it just makes me want to listen to the far superior One In A Million which it heavily samples.

Comment

• The best R&B performance of recent memory was Mariah's 2021 WBT Extended Valentines mix... the final 3 minutes were bliss.
                                              My Chart

Comment

• I'm on a Caro Emerald kick this morning - anyone else know/like her? Love this kind of 40s spin on dance music.

Comment

• I loved her debut album. Her sophomore album hadn't done it for me, and then she vanished.
                                                  Pro: freedom of speech
                                                  Contra: cancel culture

Comment

• ^ yeah her sophomore wasn't as good as her debut, which was amazing.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X