Pop Talk - General Music Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Hejira View Post
    I mean it's obvious she couldn't pull of a Superbowl, I don't think she even wants to. She's great at her concerts, that's where she shines. Her televised stuff always disappoints because she's simply too self conscious about the cameras. People think she's a terrible live act because she actually is most of the time during her televised performances. It's a shame cause better tv performances could convince people to go see her live on tour where she actually IS good.
    But this SB set

mixed with this Kween

would have been the biggest slayage ever. (tho I would swap out TMB for MIH)

They should have asked Kween to perform anywhere from 06-09 instead of those boring, dusty dad rock acts.
    Originally posted by Kaloki
    I don't understand why WBT still isn't at #1 tbh.

Comment

It's more than the average popgirl yes. And honestly even the greats don't have consistent quality discographies.
      My fave Tori has a 7 album brilliant streak and started to decline rapidly after. 5 back to back great albums is a HUGE accomplishment.
      Yeah, most pop divas don't have that many "great" albums. Other than Shakira with 5 stunning-level albums I can think of Madonna having more with 7 (Like A Prayer - Erotica - Bedtime Stories - Ray Of Light - Music - American Life - Confessions On A Dance Floor)

Britney Spears . Michael Jackson . Madonna . Metallica . Radiohead . Led Zeppelin . Oasis . Beyoncé . Soda Stereo

Comment

• Originally posted by Goldmoney View Post
        But this SB set

mixed with this Kween

would have been the biggest slayage ever. (tho I would swap out TMB for MIH)

They should have asked Kween to perform anywhere from 06-09 instead of those boring, dusty dad rock acts.
        I mean Mariah has had some brilliant performances for sure but it seemed like for every brilliant another 3 cringey followed.
        I remember when she slayed those WBT performances on the promotional trail and than that tragic BET performance came along.
        It's difficult with her unstable voice/nodules I suppose. She can't really rely on it even if she has 10 days of vocal rest. She's lucky when she's in great vocal shape and when she knows she is, she's confident.
        "Is Stalin on your shoulder..."
        https://soundcloud.com/jaspervanbeveren-1/jasper-russia
        "..as he was with his composers?"

Comment

• Originally posted by MrLeonix View Post

Yeah, most pop divas don't have that many "great" albums. Other than Shakira with 5 stunning-level albums I can think of Madonna having more with 7 (Like A Prayer - Erotica - Bedtime Stories - Ray Of Light - Music - American Life - Confessions On A Dance Floor)
          Being consistently creative with music is one of the hardest things ever. Sometimes we forget during the 'fun' of all these stan wars the brilliant things these artists have done in their careers. Even the most respected musicians don't have discographies where every album is beyond 4 stars. So yes, we must respect those who managed to do so for multiple decades. To even have the chance to still be making albums after already releasing so many is a huge feat.

(I'm not talking about those who released 6 albums in 20 years where only 1 was actually well received of course)
          Last edited by Hejira; Wed February 12th, 2020, 17:34.

Comment

• Is this the GOAT performance you’re referring to?

That arrangement was a choice.

Comment

Is this the GOAT performance you’re referring to?

That arrangement was a choice.
              Yeah. Although I have to say it was worse in my memory. But she was really hoarse and out of breathe and that arrangement was cheesy as hell yes.
              My least fave era was 2008 when it comes to her live vocals, overall that was incredibly underwhelming. That Bye Bye at Oprah
              I feel she's been in a good place vocally when it comes to her TV performances lately though, I loved the Caution performances. She's feeling herself again and I'm not dreading it when she's scheduled on a big show now the way I did earlier.

Comment

• All of Kween’s Oprah performances (except the first one) are lackluster because Kween of the Universe Oprah is such an intimating force.

Comment

All of Kween’s Oprah performances (except the first one) are lackluster because Kween of the Universe Oprah is such an intimating force.
                  LOL those CB performances where she lipped 50%, the shenanigans.
                  Although my grandma who was an avid Oprah stan converted after that 2003 Mariah show though, she told me "That woman can sing", I was like yes gran, I know, I've been telling ya'll since 93.

Comment

• My Saving Grace on Oprah was live.
                    My Chart

Comment

• Originally posted by stevyy View Post
                      My Saving Grace on Oprah was live.

I mean like I said 50% of it was and she sounded great when she was live, but that climax was a sign of things to haunt the lambs for years to come. That wasn't live sis.

Comment

• I do love that performance btw, a lot. She sounded great when she sang live. What irritates me is that she lips parts she doesn't need to...that's the whole issue with her. She doesn't NEED to lip anything, she's talented enough to sing her songs fully live.

Anyway, let's turn the thread before this becomes MariahMix again...not that it already isn't

Comment

LOL those CB performances where she lipped 50%, the shenanigans.
                          Although my grandma who was an avid Oprah stan converted after that 2003 Mariah show though, she told me "That woman can sing", I was like yes gran, I know, I've been telling ya'll since 93.
                          At least we got this iconik moment out of the lackluster GOAT performance.

Comment

At least we got this iconik moment out of the lackluster GOAT performance.

And looking back that wasn't a bad performance either, much better than that cheesy BET awards mess. Very solid vocals, no one else could replicate that fast singing while maintaining TONE.

My fave WBT performance remains this one:

She was amongst the lambs, she shines when she's with her extended family.

Comment

• (She could just do this and kill all the Superbowls BTW, but that's just my delusion I suppose).

Comment

• A performance between two music titans like this, so in sync with each other while maintaining their individual style. Once in a lifetime really.
                                Something like this will not be replicated ever again.

Comment

• ^ To me Streisand and Céline Dion can compare with Tell Him.
                                  My Instagram... - Click here

Comment

• Originally posted by RayRay View Post
                                    ^ To me Streisand and Céline Dion can compare with Tell Him.
                                    Is there a live performance you can recommend? I'm honestly not a fan of that song but a good live performance is always a blessing.

Comment

And looking back that wasn't a bad performance either, much better than that cheesy BET awards mess. Very solid vocals, no one else could replicate that fast singing while maintaining TONE.

My fave WBT performance remains this one:

She was amongst the lambs, she shines when she's with her extended family.
                                      She did that on Black Entertainment Television. There’s nothing like your first.

Comment

• This page

Beauty is a must, Talent is a plus: DUA LIPA ♪ RIHANNA ♪ BEYONCE ♪ THE WEEKND
                                        #NO DUSTY DIVAS OR XMAS FADS ALLOWED (EXCEPT MADINO)

Comment

• Inhabitants from #11 peaking territories can’t relate.

Comment

There’s nothing like your first.
                                            Lies. Every time after the first time is better.

Comment

• Originally posted by aRat View Post

Lies. Every time after the first time is better.
                                              Doesn’t pertain to GOAT performances tho.

Comment

Doesn’t pertain to GOAT performances tho.

And I for sure wasn't talking about no damn Wedding Song

Comment

• I’ve dreaded the day someone would post these clips in full.

Thots Hejira? Also, Joni Mitchell saying “Gangsta’s Paradise”. Hejira, sis.
                                                  Last edited by Goldmoney; Fri February 14th, 2020, 02:02. Reason: Whoever edited out the video, you ain’t slick.

Comment

• Did she really say this BeeBoy KEY9481 ?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X