No announcement yet.

Pop Talk - General Music Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone else think Victoria Monet is hugely underrated?
    Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

• Xtina / Nathy Peluso / Rosalía / Nina Simone / Lauren Hill

Comment

• Originally posted by spiritboy View Post
        Anyone else think Victoria Monet is hugely underrated?
        I think she's written good stuff for other artists, but haven't gotten into much of what she's done for herself.

Moment is a massive exception though - loved that one and the video is incredible:

Comment

• Originally posted by likeidogoldlink View Post
          she looked so good in that shoot. Her make-up artists is a visionary... highlighting all of her strong facial structures. #Beautiful
          My Chart

Comment

• Originally posted by stevyy View Post

she looked so good in that shoot. Her make-up artists is a visionary... highlighting all of her strong facial structures. #Beautiful
            Agree.
            Xtina / Nathy Peluso / Rosalía / Nina Simone / Lauren Hill

Comment

• Rock Legend Katy Perry .. This is an unreleased track apparently.

Zero tolerance for : bigotry, racism, wilful ignorance.
              Pronouns: He / Him

Comment

• Originally posted by InFamous View Post
                Rock Legend Katy Perry .. This is an unreleased track apparently.

I still cannot believe that Mariah wrote, produced and sang an entire album like this, with this song being one of them (in 1995) and ... that she is releasing her version of this album later this year / earlier next year

Ever since 1995 when she talked about a song called Crave... we wondered what it would sound like.. never not ever would we have thought it would be something like this.
                My Chart

Comment

• Sick of Sittin & Fighter & Make Over

Trinity​​​​​​

Comment

I still cannot believe that Mariah wrote, produced and sang an entire album like this, with this song being one of them (in 1995) and ... that she is releasing her version of this album later this year / earlier next year

Ever since 1995 when she talked about a song called Crave... we wondered what it would sound like.. never not ever would we have thought it would be something like this.
                    Now .. THIS is true rock.

if Mariah releases this album like you say she would become the first diva to release proper / real rock music.

Hopefully she does (even though she won’t ever be accepted in the rock community).
                    Rock lives forever: Led Zeppelin . Metallica . Pink Floyd . Nirvana . Radiohead . Pearl Jam . Oasis . Iron Maiden . Nine Inch Nails
                    Approved Popstars: Michael Jackson . Madonna . Britney Spears . Beyoncé . Rihanna

Comment

• I think Moo could do a cute glam rock record. She would have to radically change her singing style though.
                      DUA LIPA - RIHANNA - THE WEEKND - DOJA CAT
                      98 - OUT

Comment

• In your opinion this song is what genre? MrLeonix

Comment

In your opinion this song is what genre? MrLeonix

This is definitely more “rocky” than “Fighter” for sure …. Still I felt it more blues than rock though (which by the way I love Blues).

Also I feel like Xtina doesn’t know how to sing rock (same with Beyoncé) .. On this song she was still using that “AC” voice and you definitely need to change your vocal style to sing rock ….. That type of voice she’s using is way too soulful …. Lady Gaga for example changes her vocal style depending on the music genre and I feel Xtina and Beyoncé should do that, the few times I’ve heard them singing more rock influenced songs the voice just doesn’t match the genre.

You just can’t stand up to sing a rock song like if you were Whitney Houston …. You need to be more like Courtney Love in that territory .. you know what I mean?
                          Last edited by MrLeonix; Mon August 16, 2021, 17:48.
                          Rock lives forever: Led Zeppelin . Metallica . Pink Floyd . Nirvana . Radiohead . Pearl Jam . Oasis . Iron Maiden . Nine Inch Nails
                          Approved Popstars: Michael Jackson . Madonna . Britney Spears . Beyoncé . Rihanna

Comment

• Originally posted by MrLeonix View Post

This is definitely more “rocky” than “Fighter” for sure …. Still I felt it more blues than rock though (which by the way I love Blues).

Also I feel like Xtina doesn’t know how to sing rock (same with Beyoncé) .. On this song she was still using that “AC” voice and you definitely need to change your vocal style to sing rock ….. That type of voice she’s using is way too soulful …. Lady Gaga for example changes her vocal style depending on the music genre and I feel Xtina and Beyoncé should do that, the few times I’ve heard them singing more rock influenced songs the voice just doesn’t match the genre.
                            I think exactly the opposite. Xtina and Bey can change their singing style, and Gaga sounds the same depending on the genre.

Comment

I think exactly the opposite. Xtina and Bey can change their singing style, and Gaga sounds the same depending on the genre.
                              Xtina always sounds the same to me on every song though. And the few times I’ve heard Bey singing “rock” it’s just not convincing because of the vocal style, you can tell she struggles to pull that genre up.

Out of the pop girls … Shakira and Gaga are two artists with the potential of being genuine rockers if you ask me. I also think P!nk would be a great rockstar if she wasn’t so affraid and I think Madonna could have nailed a true rock album during the 90s.

Comment

• Originally posted by aRat View Post
                                I think Moo could do a cute glam rock record. She would have to radically change her singing style though.
                                you will hear her on her album "Someone's Ugly Daughter" in a few months. I think she has the raw-ness to deliver a cute rock moment.

Imagine having her going against Jagged Little Pill not with Daydream, but with SUD from 1995. I wonder who would have come out on top then.

Anyway, I hope she can dust off the stain of old (in your words) when she releases SUD tentatively due in 2022.
                                My Chart

Comment

Xtina always sounds the same to me on every song though. And the few times I’ve heard Bey singing “rock” it’s just not convincing because of the vocal style, you can tell she struggles to pull that genre up.

Out of the pop girls … Shakira and Gaga are two artists with the potential of being genuine rockers if you ask me. I also think P!nk would be a great rockstar if she wasn’t so affraid and I think Madonna could have nailed a true rock album during the 90s.
                                  Shakira/Madino from the 90s - yes
                                  Pink? vanilla rock aka Avril / Nickelback vibe

Comment

you will hear her on her album "Someone's Ugly Daughter" in a few months. I think she has the raw-ness to deliver a cute rock moment.

Imagine having her going against Jagged Little Pill not with Daydream, but with SUD from 1995. I wonder who would have come out on top then.

Anyway, I hope she can dust off the stain of old (in your words) when she releases SUD tentatively due in 2022.
                                    Glad that Mariah will venture to release that album. Hopefully she uses the right vocal style.

Comment

Shakira/Madino from the 90s - yes
                                      Pink? vanilla rock aka Avril / Nickelback vibe
                                      P!nk could be a true rocker and a new generation Courtney Love if she wanted … but she was so affraid of taking risks and changing and flopping that I feel like she held a lot and settled herself to keep a vanilla Karen pop-rock formula that worked for her. Wasted talent if you ask me.

Comment

P!nk could be a true rocker and a new generation Courtney Love if she wanted … but she was so affraid of taking risks and changing and flopping that I feel like she held a lot and settled herself to keep a vanilla Karen pop-rock formula that worked for her. Wasted talent if you ask me.
                                        Exactly. Her safe radio music is definitely not for me.

Comment

• I don't even think it was being afraid. I think once she became a parent, it seemed to dull her edge.

Comment

• I think many of the divas know how to appreciate the rock genre and I know many of them like a lot of the rock artists and bands but I feel they never venture themselves into rock because they know they won’t ever be accepted in the rock community, like it won’t sound credible.

Once you enter into the music industry you are labeled and put in a box and this doesn’t only happen to popstars it can happen to anyone in the industry.

This is one primary exmaple:

Jewel was rejected by the pop community, she was judged, criticisized and when she did this her career literally got destroyed in one second. Why? Because she was a folk, acoustic, alternative girl … For the music industry “she shouldn’t be doing pop”, who did she think she was? … so there you go …. Funny how this talented woman writing her own songs, playing instruments and pulling up great alternative, acoustic records didn’t have the enough credibility to be what? A Britney? Ironic.

​​​​​​…. And that’s why your divas won’t ever accepted by the rock community folks.
                                            Last edited by MrLeonix; Mon August 16, 2021, 18:18.

Comment

• Yeah I really can't get into any of the stuff she released after Funhouse (I liked some of TTAL at first, but don't listen to it nowadays tbh)

Originally posted by cheapthrills View Post
                                              I don't even think it was being afraid. I think once she became a parent, it seemed to dull her edge.
                                              I read this as 'it = Pink' at first and was like
                                              Last edited by flopho; Mon August 16, 2021, 18:19.
                                              Ne me cherche pas, je ne suis plus là, baby

Comment

• Loved this video + song
                                                Ne me cherche pas, je ne suis plus là, baby

Comment

Jewel was rejected by the pop community, she was judged, criticisized and when she did this her career literally got destroyed in one second. Why? Because she was a folk, acoustic, alternative girl … For the music industry “she shouldn’t be doing pop.
                                                  This actually still pisses me off because I really liked that change for her - that song was a bop and a half - and I don't understand why people couldn't handle it. I think the new sound worked for her, and I don't know why people felt she had to be the hush-voiced coffeehouse singer forever.

Originally posted by flopho View Post
                                                  Yeah I really can't get into any of the stuff she released after Funhouse (I liked some of TTAL at first, but don't listen to it nowadays tbh)

I read this as 'it = Pink' at first and was like
                                                  Oh. I meant Pink's type of music!

Comment

• I think P!nk has the looks, the voice, the style, the energy and the attitude to be a genuine rocker she’s just repressing her capacity. You can tell she’s so affraid of doing that rock album we all know she wants to do.

I think what happened was that by the time she did “Try This” (her closest work to rock music), it bombed so bad like that specially after “M!ssundaztood” success … That it’s like she never wanted to experiment ever again and found a safe zone of karen pop-rock that would keep her relevant for decades.
                                                    Last edited by MrLeonix; Mon August 16, 2021, 18:34.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X