No announcement yet.

Pop Talk - General Music Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think Lover was kind of a flop for Taylors standards coming after Rep.. but even that was a huge drop following 1989. Like she went from 9 platinum to 3 in the US. That is a huge decline.
    Zero tolerance for : bigotry, racism, wilful ignorance.
    Pronouns: He / Him

Comment

• According to IFPI “Lover” was the biggest and #1 best selling album of 2019. No other album was bigger than “Lover” in the world in that entire year. And “Reputation” was the second biggest of 2017 according to IFPI.

Hardly failures. In fact, those albums slayed the market.
      Last edited by MrLeonix; Wed September 15, 2021, 05:22.
      Rock lives forever: Led Zeppelin . Metallica . Pink Floyd . Nirvana . Radiohead . Pearl Jam . Oasis . Iron Maiden . Nine Inch Nails
      Approved Popstars: Michael Jackson . Madonna . Britney Spears . Beyoncé . Rihanna

Comment

• Originally posted by MrLeonix View Post
        According to IFPI “Lover” was the biggest and #1 best selling album of 2019. No other album was bigger than “Lover” in the world in that entire year. And “Reputation” was the second biggest of 2017 according to IFPI.

Hardly failures. In fact, those albums slayed the market.
        the market itself (album sales figures) is in decline.
        Waffles are checked cookies

Comment

• VOCALIST

Diva!!!

Comment

• Billie Eilish looked stunning at Met Gala.
            Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

• Originally posted by heppolo View Post

Exactly, the market … not Taylor herself really. She’s always remained a #1 or #2 force basically even after 15 years of career and like 9 studio albums.
              Rock lives forever: Led Zeppelin . Metallica . Pink Floyd . Nirvana . Radiohead . Pearl Jam . Oasis . Iron Maiden . Nine Inch Nails
              Approved Popstars: Michael Jackson . Madonna . Britney Spears . Beyoncé . Rihanna

Comment

• Originally posted by heppolo View Post

Regardless of the market - going from 9 million in the US to 3 million from album to album is a steep decline.

Comment

• Originally posted by spiritboy View Post
                  Billie Eilish looked stunning at Met Gala.
                  Yes she did! One of the few best dressed imho

Comment

• But it’s not like Taylor went from 9x Platinum to flopping and charting for 4 weeks and not even going gold.

Not every album has to or will be 9x Platinum , she had the normal type of decline, not the same sales but still smashing at #1 as the biggest of the year on both Billboard and IFPI. With hit singles, longevity on charts, awards, acclaim, etc …. She is more than fine.

Comment

• Today has been announced that Britney Spears has officially made it into TIME’s annual list of “100 most influential people of 2021”.

Only two pop music divas made the list (Billie Eilish and Britney) …. The rest of the list is composed by Politicians, Philantrophists, Scientists, Athletes, Entrepreneurs and businessmen, etc.

Comment

• I assume Brit is there for shining a light on the iffy power dynamics of conservatorships, but curious why they chose Billie?

Comment

• Amazing to see Teenage Dream log its 250th week on the Billboard Top 200 Albums chart this week.

The era was really a cultural reset, the female Thriller, eight top 3 singles and 6 number 1's, still making waves and continuing to infleunce 11 years after it's release The impact.

Comment

• Originally posted by cheapthrills View Post
                            I assume Brit is there for shining a light on the iffy power dynamics of conservatorships, but curious why they chose Billie?
                            Part of it was just an online vote - I actually did it myself.

Britney's stans had a twitter thing going to go in and vote for her. I assume Billies did the same.

Also there are many more artists on the list including Dolly Parton, Lil Nas X and Bad Bunny

The full list is here - https://time.com/collection/100-most...-2021/#artists

Donald Trump also made the list lol plus Allyson Felix, JSparksFan will be cartwheeling in celebration for his fave
                            Last edited by InFamous; Thu September 16, 2021, 03:04.

Comment

• They do choose who makes their list. The reader's poll and the actual list are obviously two different things. If it was up to the reader's poll to decide who makes the list it would consist of like 5 people since most people had more "no" votes than "yes" votes. You also have to be selected by TIME to even make it into that readers poll as a nominee btw.

https://time.com/6097384/how-we-chose-time100-2021/

TIME’s editors ultimately select the honorees on the TIME100 list, which will be announced Wednesday, Sept. 15.
                              https://time.com/6096468/time-100-re...-results-2021/
                              Britney Spears • Janet Jackson • Christina Aguilera • Michael Jackson • Selena Gomez • Hilary Duff • Taylor Swift • Justin Timberlake

Comment

• Yeah but Britney was obvs going to be chosen after the poll, she had 79 percent when I voted YES for her..

Amazing to see Legend Lil Nas X on the list. What a King

Comment

• Guys … Rolling Stone has updated their “500 Greatest Songs Of All Time” list and added two Britney songs “Toxic” (#114) and “Baby One More Time” (#205).

So now Britney is in both Rolling Stone Greatest Albums And Songs Of All Time lists

….

Oh and they named her the most influential pop star since Madonna:

.. “The song that introduced the world to the most influential female pop artist to come around since Madonna was originally intended for TLC, but the R&B group rejected it. Once Swedish songwriter Max Martin met Spears, a new 15-year-old singer with Jive Records, he thought he had the right person for the track. Spears agreed. “I wanted my voice to be kind of rusty,” she told Rolling Stone years later. “I wanted my voice to just be able to groove with the track. So the night before, I stayed up really, really late, so when I went into the studio, I wasn’t rested.”

Source: https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...-time-1224767/
                                  Last edited by MrLeonix; Wed September 15, 2021, 17:07.

Comment

Guys … Rolling Stone has updated their “500 Greatest Songs Of All Time” list and added two Britney songs “Toxic” (#114) and “Baby One More Time” (#205).

So now Britney is in both Rolling Stone Greatest Albums And Songs Of All Time lists

….

Oh and they named her the most influential pop star since Madonna:

.. “The song that introduced the world to the most influential female pop artist to come around since Madonna was originally intended for TLC, but the R&B group rejected it. Once Swedish songwriter Max Martin met Spears, a new 15-year-old singer with Jive Records, he thought he had the right person for the track. Spears agreed. “I wanted my voice to be kind of rusty,” she told Rolling Stone years later. “I wanted my voice to just be able to groove with the track. So the night before, I stayed up really, really late, so when I went into the studio, I wasn’t rested.”

Source: https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...-time-1224767/
                                    Beyoncé, Madonna, Britney Spears, Taylor Swift, Whitney Houston, Missy Elliot, Aretha Franklin, Dolly Parton, Fiona Apple, TLC & Rihanna are the only female acts with multiple entries.

Comment

• That list is absolutely horrible.

They excluded Lil Kim?
                                      Last edited by TIfan; Wed September 15, 2021, 21:38.
                                      Diva!!!

Comment

• Fantasy is #419 on that list.
                                        My Chart

Comment

• Originally posted by stevyy View Post
                                          Fantasy is #419 on that list.
                                          Toxic #114

Comment

Toxic #114
                                            I prefer Fantasy, sorry.
                                            My Chart

Comment

• Rock lives forever: Led Zeppelin . Metallica . Pink Floyd . Nirvana . Radiohead . Pearl Jam . Oasis . Iron Maiden . Nine Inch Nails

Comment

• This is so funny. Poor Trinidad and Tobago though, they have to deal with Nokia's antics
                                                Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

• Good to see her getting rightfully dragged and humilated for her utter foolishness. She is so embarassing.

Comment

• Xtina / Nathy Peluso / Rosalía / Nina Simone / Lauren Hill

Comment

Working...
                                                    X