No announcement yet.

Pop Talk - General Music Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kitty def had some singles that would have never been #1 without the gimmicky remixes (“Last Friday Night” , “E.T”, etc) or the massive amount of payola that not even P!nk ever managed to have.

Once Dr.Luke was out the payola ended and she crashed.
    Rock lives forever: Led Zeppelin . Metallica . Pink Floyd . Nirvana . Radiohead . Pearl Jam . Oasis . Iron Maiden . Nine Inch Nails
    Approved Popstars: Michael Jackson . Madonna . Britney Spears . Beyoncé . Rihanna

Comment

• Rihanna should release Sexuality in 2009. This song is a huge banger that I love.

Xtina / Nathy Peluso / Rosalía / Nina Simone / Lauren Hill

Comment

• The TGIF release had all sort of gimmicks - what are you talking about. The label most definitely knew they couldn't miss a shot to match MJ. They had that campy video with the Friday girl, they discounted the single to 49 cents on iTunes back when that mattered, and had a remix.

Comment

• Originally posted by Goldmoney View Post
          BoB for the TOTGA remix tho for that last attempt at #1 tho? Did homegirl not get that it wasn’t 2010 anymore? Who was going to buy a remix with that flat earther on it? The 6th that got away.
          Never even heard of it . I generally listen to the acoustic flawless version of that track.

Last edited by InFamous; Tue October 19, 2021, 23:46.
          Zero tolerance for : bigotry, racism, wilful ignorance.
          Pronouns: He / Him

Comment

• Originally posted by cheapthrills View Post
            The TGIF release had all sort of gimmicks - what are you talking about. The label most definitely knew they couldn't miss a shot to match MJ. They had that campy video with the Friday girl, they discounted the single to 49 cents on iTunes back when that mattered, and had a remix.
            OMG a video, a remix and a discounted single. Shocking.

Since when does a video or a remix count as a gimmick.

Comment

• Since always

Comment

The TGIF release had all sort of gimmicks - what are you talking about. The label most definitely knew they couldn't miss a shot to match MJ. They had that campy video with the Friday girl, they discounted the single to 49 cents on iTunes back when that mattered, and had a remix.
                Not to mention the ridiculous amount of payola she got. Her label and Luke negociated massive radio deals but not the average radio deal …. Radio deals that were never seen before.

… And yeah, LFN would have never hit #1 in any sense in normal conditions.
                Rock lives forever: Led Zeppelin . Metallica . Pink Floyd . Nirvana . Radiohead . Pearl Jam . Oasis . Iron Maiden . Nine Inch Nails
                Approved Popstars: Michael Jackson . Madonna . Britney Spears . Beyoncé . Rihanna

Comment

Since always
                  Ok Miss Cheap thrills featuring Sean Paul remix, which also had a performance video AND a lyric video, various discounts and two versions counting for the charts for its entire chart run.

Comment

• But wasn’t “Cheap Thrills” remix released the same day the song was released as a single (since day 1) though?

What Kitty did with LFN was very different.

Comment

• Originally posted by InFamous View Post

Ok Miss Cheap thrills featuring Sean Paul remix, which also had a performance video AND a lyric video, various discounts and two versions counting for the charts for its entire chart run.

Oh yeah Cheap Thrills was a weak #1 for sure. Maybe one of the weakest I can remember and it needed all the help it could get. But I never made claims Sia doesn't do gimmicks.

I mean, if your point is that other artists do gimmicks like Katy, I don't think you're blowing anyone's mind there.

Comment

• MrS. One of the most reliable insiders saying b7 will most likely be B's last. I'm happy for her and sad at the same time.

Comment

Oh yeah Cheap Thrills was a weak #1 for sure. Maybe one of the weakest I can remember and it needed all the help it could get. But I never made claims Sia doesn't do gimmicks.

I mean, if your point is that other artists do gimmicks like Katy, I don't think you're blowing anyone's mind there.
                          Not really. It's just your point that someone releasing a video or a remix counts as a gimmick is just wrong because every artist shoots a video for their singles and does a remix. That's just standard.

Doing 8 remixes at 39 cent and 8 different videos on release week for a single now that's a gimmick.

I would hope you can see the difference.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aaronsmithjune1 View Post
                            MrS. One of the most reliable insiders saying b7 will most likely be B's last. I'm happy for her and sad at the same time.
                            What that bish can't be serious.

Well at least yall still getting one last project then. Us navies can't relate
                            DUA LIPA - RIHANNA - THE WEEKND - DOJA CAT
                            98 - OUT

Comment

Not really. It's just your point that someone releasing a video or a remix counts as a gimmick is just wrong because every artist shoots a video for their singles and does a remix. That's just standard.

Doing 8 remixes at 39 cent and 8 different videos on release week for a single now that's a gimmick.

I would hope you can see the difference.
                              That's a high standard for a gimmick.

My point isn't wrong. Your standards are just relative.

Comment

That's a high standard for a gimmick.

My point isn't wrong. Your standards are just relative.
                                Yes it is seeing as every artist had a video and a remix. Ergo not gimmicks. Just standard fare for a single release I fear.

Comment

• It's not a gimmick when Katy does it. Got it.

Comment

• Nokia's career is over. In this house we stream the only good Nicki - Nicki Nicole. Argentine queen of rap.

Xtina / Nathy Peluso / Rosalía / Nina Simone / Lauren Hill

Comment

• Originally posted by aRat View Post

What that bish can't be serious.

Well at least yall still getting one last project then. Us navies can't relate
                                      Do you think Rihanna even remembers how to sing these days?

Comment

Do you mean that she turned into a Katy Perry?
                                        98 - OUT

Comment

• The first Kween interview I ever watched. A few days later, I bought the album, got reacquainted with GOAT and never looked back.

Comment

Katy can sing any of the plastic pop gurls under the table sweetie.

Comment

In order to turn into that you would need to have no grammys, be panned, have no taste and being a fad and flop after 3 albums.

And Rihanna ain’t any of that

Comment

Has she ever?
                                                5.05.2009 / 6.22.2011 / 4.24.2013 / 4.25.2013 / 3.1.2014 / 9.13.2014 / 7.21.2016 / 7.14.2018 / 7.15.2018

Comment

• Originally posted by MrLeonix View Post
                                                  Kitty def had some singles that would have never been #1 without the gimmicky remixes (“Last Friday Night” , “E.T”, etc) or the massive amount of payola that not even P!nk ever managed to have.

Once Dr.Luke was out the payola ended and she crashed.
                                                  This is not true. All of her #1s spent multiple weeks there and were #1 in radio and sales. It's not like she got S&M type of #1.

E.T.
                                                  *Hot 100 : 42-//[x26]-28-08-08-03-02-01-01-01-02-01-01-02-02-02-03-03-04-05-07-07-10-12-14-20-23-32-37-42-47-//
                                                  *Hot Digital Songs : 19-//[x26]-12-04-05-01-01-01-01-01-02-01-01-02-03-03-07-06-10-11-13-17-17-25-29-34-35-41-44-51-67-71-//

#4 On YEC
                                                  #40 DEC
                                                  #166 ATC

Calling out E.T. as fake #1 at this point is a joke.

LFN
                                                  Hot 100 : 67-//(x41)-63-31-04-04-04-04-03-02-02-02-01-01-05-10-12-13-15-18-25-30-37-38-39-//
                                                  *Hot Digital Songs : 29-//(x41)-62-28-01-01-02-02-03-02-03-05-04-04-14-17-21-25-27-34-42-49-52-64-61-//-//-74-//-//-58-55-75-//
                                                  Remix did boost LFN to #1, but it stayed there next week when remix was already out of itunes top 100...

#14 YEC

Katy's career ended due to horrible management, long break just when market switched from digital to streaming and she was never gonna last since even at her peak she never had any kind of fanbase to rely on, she appealed to GP that moved on to next thing.

P!nk is the best example of payola, I mean who listens to her these days? She's the biggest sellout in history, has zero artistry and integrity left in her. And unlike Katy I'm pretty sure P!nk was singled out by radio executives recently as artist who uses payola.

Comment

• Originally posted by Westen View Post

This is not true. All of her #1s spent multiple weeks there and were #1 in radio and sales. It's not like she got S&M type of #1.

E.T.
                                                    *Hot 100 : 42-//[x26]-28-08-08-03-02-01-01-01-02-01-01-02-02-02-03-03-04-05-07-07-10-12-14-20-23-32-37-42-47-//
                                                    *Hot Digital Songs : 19-//[x26]-12-04-05-01-01-01-01-01-02-01-01-02-03-03-07-06-10-11-13-17-17-25-29-34-35-41-44-51-67-71-//

#4 On YEC
                                                    #40 DEC
                                                    #166 ATC
                                                    ET was that bitch. Still slaps hard.

98 - OUT

Comment

Working...
                                                    X