No announcement yet.

Pop Talk - General Music Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yet it is Beyoncé the one who has the two most iconic and legendary female songs from the 00s decade "Crazy In Love" (biggest classic by a lead female artist of the 00s) and "Halo" (The biggest catalogue song of the entire decade).
    Britney Spears . Michael Jackson . Madonna . Metallica . Radiohead . Led Zeppelin . Oasis . Beyoncé . Soda Stereo

Comment

• Originally posted by Hejira View Post

I mean I can see how it could be a race thing, of course, but the points that were made in that interview were about her musical talent compared to her status and I agree with those points made. There's something about her and her music that never really seems to add up for me. She's good at everything but she excels in entertaining an audience with 'okay' songs and technically great vocals...but I don't feel her.
      Well the disagreement lies more with what you said about “pulling the race card” when 99% of the time, it’s the same group of people trying to discredit or take down King. So you can’t really blame black twitter for not taking a yt opinion seriously when their clout is at an all-time low with minorities anyway.

But then again, I don’t think Charlamagne (who is one of the current titans of black culture) would ever affiliate himself with somebody who was a determinant to black culture. The guy who made those statements didn’t cast King’s black heritage in a negative light. In fact, he tried to showcase other black icons in a positive light like C-Error and Jeanette.
      Originally posted by Kaloki
      I don't understand why WBT still isn't at #1 tbh.

Comment

• Originally posted by Goldmoney View Post
        Well the disagreement lies more with what you said about “pulling the race card” when 99% of the time, it’s the same group of people trying to discredit or take down King. So you can’t really blame black twitter for not taking a yt opinion seriously when their clout is at an all-time low with minorities anyway.

But then again, I don’t think Charlamagne (who is one of the current titans of black culture) would ever affiliate himself with somebody who was a determinant to black culture. The guy who made those statements didn’t cast King’s black heritage in a negative light. In fact, he tried to showcase other black icons in a positive light like C-Error and Jeanette.
        Then compared her to one trick pony Chris Brown. Imagine if Taylor or Rihanna was singing and dancing like Bey. Everyone would be praising them to the highest heavens. The thing with beyonce is that she is just to in control over her image. He even brought up the elevator fight. Which has absolutely nothing to do with her as a artist. 23 years later and people still know so little of her life. With celebrities the general public feels as if they're owned by the public and with mrs Carter it's never gonna happen. So they came up with the narrative of her being fake and robotic as something to drag her for. She can't even go out with haters trying to find something to pick apart.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hejira View Post

I honestly never heard such true words.
          It's not very complicated: some people don't worship the ground she walks on and have a bit more of an unbiased opinion about her. She is not the best singer and her music is certainly not the best either. So I don't see why he's wrong about these things.
          Well, all the guy's arguments were false or subjective. Claiming you've never heard such true words already exposes your heavy bias.

The craziest thing he said was that she does not get any bad press. There have been very few artists that have suffered as many political attacks as she does. Yes almost all of her peers love and respect her, but there is almost no prominent right-winged figure which hasn't attacked her. The Fox News crows jumps on her as soon as they can. That alone tells you something about her.

Second craziest thing he said, she cannot touch Adele or MJ vocally. This makes no sense. She is one of the most talented vocalist mainstream artists ever, period. You have a lot of evidence, and she does all types of singing. I would say she is more talented than Mariah throughout most of her career, as I've never seen Mariah replicate her studio vocals live, especially for her behemoth vocal performanes like in My All or WBT. Beyoncé outdoes herself live again and again. Plus, Beyoncé is ridiculously versatile, you can find easily a lot of evidence on youtube. But I don't think you want to watch it so I won't bother looking for it.
          You mention tone, but that is purely subjective. Adele is a great belter and has a great tone, but in no way she is a better vocalist than Beyoncé. That is just false. Liking someone doesn't make them talented (see Britney Spears or Selena Gomez).

You may not like her persona, her vocal tone, her songs, etc. But don't try to portrait your opinion as anything other than purely subjective and biased.
          I understand you might think someone needs drama to be interesting. You might think she is too perfect. You may not like how she is sexual. You might disagree with her brand. You might disagree with the approach. But the effort, hard-work, talent and creativity are undeniable.

I am the maniac, I am the ghoul
          I'm in the shadows in the corners of my room

Comment

• Another day of Beyons Knowles female pop vocalist being the standard- we love to see it.

You (very important word) might not like her catalogue (subjective) but she has classics and critical acclaim others wish to have. On top of that she is part of one of the biggest girl groups of all time. And just this monday she showed us that there is no slowing down regarding her vocals after 20 years in the game.

Adele has a great tone (which is subjective) but she is nowhere near the technical ability Beyoncé has - she would tell you that herself if she knew you existed. MJ was a great performer no doubt but his vocal abilities don't go far. I cannot take anyone serious claiming otherwise. Bey might not be peak Whitney/Mariah (studio) but as far as consitency goes, only Celine can compete. On top of that she is constantly compared to girls solely relying on dancing because their vocal range is smaller than Trump's brain. Being put into the category of all time great vocalists mainly clinging to a microphone stand not moving an inch AND into the category of best female dancers - all while pulling 2 hour shows? A Legend indeed
            MY INSTAGRAM

Free Amazon Vouchers

Comment

• Exactly ... Beyoncé pulls great vocal live performances and the only reason she can do that is because she is a great vocalist. True and gifted vocalists are able to sing live and sound good.

Mariah is often taken as a good vocalist based on her studio recordings but every time I see that woman singing live in front of an audience she’s either failing to replicate the notes, sounding terrible, being off-key, lipping the whole thing (or the high notes) or even pulling a fiasco ....... the question is .... is that a true talented vocalist?

Real talented vocalists SING LIVE and SOUND GOOG while doing it , because that’s the real test for a vocalist.

That’s why Beyoncé is a great and talented vocalist, she’s IMO one of the best mainstream voices out there at tue moment. And 20 years later she still sounds good.
              Britney Spears . Michael Jackson . Madonna . Metallica . Radiohead . Led Zeppelin . Oasis . Beyoncé . Soda Stereo

Comment

• Originally posted by MrLeonix View Post
                Mariah is often taken as a good vocalist based on her studio recordings but every time I see that woman singing live in front of an audience she’s either failing to replicate the notes, sounding terrible, being off-key, lipping the whole thing (or the high notes) or even pulling a fiasco ....... the question is .... is that a true talented vocalist?
                Why did I just KNOW someone was gonna pull the Mariah card. Again.

Anyway, I said what I said and that's how I feel about things.

"Is Stalin on your shoulder..."
                https://soundcloud.com/jaspervanbeveren-1/jasper-russia
                "..as he was with his composers?"

Comment

• Beyonce can sing, perform and dance really well. Mariah can't do none of those. She could sing well in the studio and sometimes live back in the 90s or whatever but those days are long gone.

Comment

• Imagine coming for Beyoncé

Comment

• Originally posted by aRat View Post
                      Beyonce can sing, perform and dance really well. Mariah can't do none of those. She could sing well in the studio and sometimes live back in the 90s or whatever but those days are long gone.
                      That part

Comment

• Beyoncé can sing live while sounding great, she can dance like a legend, she can sing and dance at the same time in a very effective way, she can perform like the Tina Turner of the 21st Century ... She has true talent as a vocalist and as a performer. In addition of that her voice still sounds good decades later, she still looks good, her charisma and stage presence remain intact, and she's able to handle her career with grace, professionalism and scandal-free.

It's ok if you don't like her songs or music because taste is subjective but the talent is there for Beyoncé and I don't think that can be denied or discussed. You don't have to like someone in order to objectively accept their talent, for example I don't like Prince (his music is extremely overrated to me) but just because of that I can't deny he had talent, the guy was a musical gifted producer, played instruments and was a genuine musician and that has nothing to do with my taste.

Beyoncé is a LIVE vocalist, dancer and performer of high caliber ... The definition of an A-list entertainer. If you don't like her music that's ok but don't come for her obvious talent.
                        Last edited by MrLeonix; Wed February 26th, 2020, 17:15.

Comment

• The agenda (jealousy) is coming through.
                          Last edited by Hejira; Wed February 26th, 2020, 17:14.

Comment

• So here's a good piece of music. For those who care.

Comment

• Are we really discussing Maria and Jay-Z's wife again? Is this 2020 or 1920?

Comment

• Originally posted by Rihab View Post
                                Are we really discussing Maria and Jay-Z's wife again? Is this 2020 or 1920?

I suppose these are the only relevant topics left on a dead discussion board.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rihab View Post
                                  Are we really discussing Maria and Jay-Z's wife again? Is this 2020 or 1920?

In 1920, neither of them would even have been allowed to be on a message board. Town halls were what they were called back then .

Comment

• I'm a bitch, I'm a boss.
                                    I'm a bitch and a boss.
                                    Imma shine like gloss

Comment

• aRatchet, the second best R&B song of all time (it was #1 until 2005 ), went all the way to #2 in your hole?!

Comment

aRatchet, the second best R&B song of all time (it was #1 until 2005 ), went all the way to #2 in your hole?!
                                        Yeah, also Alicia was bigger than Beyonce here up until the I Am ... Sasha Fierce era

Legend Keri Hilson also has a solo #1 hit with this classique (which is bigger than any Beyonce song here):

Comment

• I lost interest on Alicia Keys very long time ago and her career just got worse and boring over time ...

... BUT I stan the sh*t out of her debut single “Fallin”, still one the greatest female singles ever released. Both “Fallin” and “Crazy In Love” are IMO the two most perfect and stunning female singles from the 2000s decade.

Comment

I lost interest on Alicia Keys very long time ago and her career just got worse and boring over time ...

... BUT I stan the sh*t out of her debut single “Fallin”, still one the greatest female singles ever released. Both “Fallin” and “Crazy In Love” are IMO the two most perfect and stunning female singles from the 2000s decade.
                                            Umbrella sweetie...

Comment

I lost interest on Alicia Keys very long time ago and her career just got worse and boring over time ...

And GOAT?

Comment

• Never heard that Keri song but her Bey diss track was hot.
                                                I am the maniac, I am the ghoul
                                                I'm in the shadows in the corners of my room

Comment

And GOAT?
                                                  20 mainstream female singles from the 2000s that I consider perfect and stunning:

1. Beyoncé - Crazy In Love
                                                  2. Alicia Keys - Fallin'
                                                  3. Amy Winehouse - You Know I'm No Good
                                                  4. Amy Winehouse - Tears Dry On Their Own
                                                  5. Shakira - Don't Bother
                                                  6. Norah Jones - Don't Know Why
                                                  7. Madonna - Don't Tell Me
                                                  8. Macy Gray - Sweet Baby
                                                  9. Britney Spears - Toxic
                                                  10. Nelly Furtado - Turn Off The Light
                                                  11. Alicia Keys - If I Ain't Got You
                                                  12. Sheryl Crow - Soak Up The Sun
                                                  13. P!nk - God Is A DJ
                                                  14. Amy Winehouse - Back To Black
                                                  15. Björk - Hidden Place
                                                  16. Fiona Apple - O'Sailor
                                                  17. Santigold - L.E.S Artistes
                                                  18. Anastacia - Left Outside Alone
                                                  19. Eve - Let Me Blow Ya Mind
                                                  20. Tori Amos - A Sorta Fairytale

No GOAT

Comment

20 mainstream female singles from the 2000s that I consider perfect and stunning:

1. Beyoncé - Crazy In Love
                                                    2. Alicia Keys - Fallin'
                                                    3. Amy Winehouse - You Know I'm No Good
                                                    4. Amy Winehouse - Tears Dry On Their Own
                                                    5. Shakira - Don't Bother
                                                    6. Norah Jones - Don't Know Why
                                                    7. Madonna - Don't Tell Me
                                                    8. Macy Gray - Sweet Baby
                                                    9. Britney Spears - Toxic
                                                    10. Nelly Furtado - Turn Off The Light
                                                    11. Alicia Keys - If I Ain't Got You
                                                    12. Sheryl Crow - Soak Up The Sun
                                                    13. P!nk - God Is A DJ
                                                    14. Amy Winehouse - Back To Black
                                                    15. Björk - Hidden Place
                                                    16. Fiona Apple - O'Sailor
                                                    17. Santigold - L.E.S Artistes
                                                    18. Anastacia - Left Outside Alone
                                                    19. Eve - Let Me Blow Ya Mind
                                                    20. Tori Amos - A Sorta Fairytale

No GOAT
                                                    Wait, you actually know who Eve is?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X