The Random Thought Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by theMathematician View Post
    Chart runs show an album's popularity better than sales as they heavily depend on the size of the market, that is correct. However, in the 90s, there were plenty of cases of singles artists as well - it's not like everyone automatically sold tons of albums. The best example for that is Los del Rio: 'Macarena' was a huge hit, interest in the parent album 'Fiesta Macarena' was very limited. The same way some singles were not available back then, artists still use tricks to achieve the biggest gross or the highest chart peak possible today - I'm talking about those tour bundles.
    Is it better nowadays? Not necessarily... Different at best.

@Aaronsmithjune1: I think there is no right or wrong. It's OK to be on either side of the argument as long as the other side isn't denounced. Everyone has got the right to their opinion and while it's natural to evolve, it's not a problem to question developments and wish for adaptions. Streaming is not the ultimate solution for every issue in the entertainment industry and as quick as it happened, I'm sure there will be another format that builds on the advantages and fixes the disadvantages. I only hope that, with more formats getting added to the mix, that there's still room for every format since each has got their fanbase, may it be vinyl, CD, digital or streaming...
    Exactly, and if Billboard had said oh well, lets take 15 sales of the physical single and call that an album sale and count it as such I would have called that out too. But that is exactly what is happening today to compile the album chart numbers. It literally makes no sense.

Comment

• Originally posted by InFamous View Post
      I am not putting anyone down, you are missing my point completely.
      I am saying that the way the data is being counted and collated in the US is horseshit. 15 purchases of the same track or 1500 streams of the same track is NOT the same as buying a full album. It just isnt.
      And that is factored into the way ALBUM charts are compiled in both the UK and Germany. I dont have any problems with streaming, not am I trying to say someone is not bigger than someone else, nor am i trying to big up the dusty divas. I am saying the way that Billboard use the data to compile the album chart is horseshit. And it is.
      The main problem in the future will be that catalogue albums will make the majority of the BB200 chart. We see more and more current music leaving the chart after a couple of weeks. (The only exception is rap music).
      My Chart

Comment

• Originally posted by stevyy View Post
        The main problem in the future will be that catalogue albums will make the majority of the BB200 chart. We see more and more current music leaving the chart after a couple of weeks. (The only exception is rap music).
        Just to pick up on something, you are saying that MC sold 400k SPS of Merry Christmas this year. The fact that the majority of that is all coming from one track completely skews it in my opinion. I mean how many actual copies of the album, digital or physical did she sell this season worldwide ?

Comment

Just to pick up on something, you are saying that MC sold 400k SPS of Merry Christmas this year. The fact that the majority of that is all coming from one track completely skews it in my opinion. I mean how many actual copies of the album, digital or physical did she sell this season worldwide ?
          (1) wait for the year end calculations of her most streamed songs until you make such a claim. But you are not wrong.

(2) The album sold more than many albums on the BB200. The album had a GREAT run in the BB albums sales chart. I'm using the BB example bc it is the album's biggest market still. It was also ranked HIGH on the Australian sales charts. That's 2 markets where we have information.

My wild guess is 100,000 - 125,000 in pure sales worldwide. (70k from the USA).

AIWFCIY has sold 2 million consumption copies in 2019, 660k last week in the USA alone.
          My Chart

Comment

• Originally posted by stevyy View Post
            (1) wait for the year end calculations of her most streamed songs until you make such a claim. But you are not wrong.

(2) The album sold more than many albums on the BB200. The album had a GREAT run in the BB albums sales chart. I'm using the BB example bc it is the album's biggest market still. It was also ranked HIGH on the Australian sales charts. That's 2 markets where we have information.

My wild guess is 100,000 - 125,000 in pure sales worldwide. (70k from the USA).

AIWFCIY has sold 2 million consumption copies in 2019, 660k last week in the USA alone.
            Some weeks it was reported as having sold less than 5k in pure sales in the US. I think 70k is very optimistic.

Comment

Your failure to understand the basis of what is being actually said and then just making a random reply is priceless.
              Sure jan.

Comment

Some weeks it was reported as having sold less than 5k in pure sales in the US. I think 70k is very optimistic.
                Sales Chart: 9 - 16 - 21 - 26 - 15 - 16 - 17

this week's position will be published tomorrow, I hope.
                My Chart

Comment

I was wondering how long it would take you to directly come for Mariah. She is a legend with the biggest xmas classic of the last 40 years. And her xmas album also does well. She will continue to have her xmas domination. And her streaming numbers all year long that are some of the best from her generation of artists. And the rules are what they are. Streaming is the big factor in the current music field. It is what it is.

Comment

• Originally posted by hawk25 View Post
                    I was wondering how long it would take you to directly come for Mariah. She is a legend with the biggest xmas classic of the last 40 years. And her xmas album also does well. She will continue to have her xmas domination. And her streaming numbers all year long that are some of the best from her generation of artists. And the rules are what they are. Streaming is the big factor in the current music field. It is what it is.
                    What in heaven's name are you rambling on about ?

Comment

• Comment

The info is in her Christmas thread if you are really interested. From revenue perspective, I don't think the record company really cares about the actual breakdown, i.e. if 1 album and 10 tracks both give the same amount of revenue
                        Last edited by ferrero; Mon December 30th, 2019, 03:31.

Comment

What in heaven's name are you rambling on about ?
                          Don't pay them any attention. We have legit been having a great debate so don't even bother. Of course a hit dog will holler and post passive aggressive gifs

Comment

• Originally posted by ferrero View Post
                            The info is in her Christmas thread if you are really interested. From revenue perspective, I don't think the record company really cares about the actual breakdown, i.e. if 1 album and 10 tracks both give the same amount of revenue
                            I was having a civil discussion with [MENTION=4090]stevyy[/MENTION] here. But thanks.
                            My favourite lamb.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aaronsmithjune1 View Post
                              Don't pay them any attention. We have legit been having a great debate so don't even bother. Of course a hit dog will holler and post passive aggressive gifs
                              The way it's always the same two or three who will run in and derail an interesting and civil debate with nonsense.

Comment

Talking about being passive agressive with a comment like that.
                                Last edited by hawk25; Mon December 30th, 2019, 03:53.

Comment

• I agree with some of you guys. UK and Germany rules are better. I can't comprehend a rap that sold less than 1k reaching the top of BB 200 because of possibly inflated streams.
                                  Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

• [MENTION=65100]aRat[/MENTION] do u think think it'll extend all the way to the 80s? Thinking about Gifting it to a few members
                                    Last edited by Aaronsmithjune1; Mon December 30th, 2019, 08:42.

Comment

• Originally posted by aRat View Post
                                      Who even listens to these K Pop boy bands and enjoys it? They have to be the most generic & blatant industry plants I have ever seen.
                                      I do!
                                      There are actualy realy good kpop songs to discover though, though people here aren't realy open for it, since alot of people here hate kpop and don't give it a chance

Comment

• Actually, KPop is a much broader church than just slick and choreographed pop acts. Even Korean indie pop acts sometimes are wrongly dismissed as "KPop".
                                        Waffles are checked cookies

Comment

• The Pop Talk thread is working out well then...
                                          THRILLER’S SOUNDS OF THE 90s

Comment

• | Ciara | Beyoncé | Janet | Toni | Kelly R | Leona | Tinashe | Whitney | Brandy | Monica | Tevin | Mariah | Britney | Tamia |

Comment

• ^And then people here moan about daily streaming updates.

The gap is just going to get bigger and bigger.
                                              I have received many gifts from God,
                                              but this is the first time I have ever received a gift from a goddess

Don McLean on Madonna's version of American Pie

Comment

• Originally posted by Preyoncé View Post
                                                The perks of stanning strihming Legends
                                                COMMON LOVE ISN'T FOR US...

Comment

[MENTION=65100]aRat[/MENTION] do u think think it'll extend all the way to the 80s? Thinking about Gifting it to a few members
                                                  That won't do it, you'll need something like this for these gerls

Comment

• Originally posted by beredy View Post
                                                    ^And then people here moan about daily streaming updates.

If the Album isn't receiving 500K streams a day, it's pretty much pointless

Comment

• Originally posted by aRat View Post
                                                      That won't do it, you'll need something like this for these gerls
                                                      Fugghtug bye

Comment

• Originally posted by Preyoncé View Post
                                                        A nightmare
                                                        Britney Spears • Janet Jackson • Christina Aguilera • Michael Jackson • Selena Gomez • Hilary Duff • Taylor Swift • Justin Timberlake

Comment

• Originally posted by beredy View Post
                                                          ^And then people here moan about daily streaming updates.

I think the problem isn't daily streaming updates but daily streaming updates. Back in the day, it would've been just as extensive to have daily physical or daily digital updates. Being honest, most singles have a chart life of 4-6 months, most albums of 0.5 to 1.5 years, so even one week is just a small part of its chart life, not even talking about a day, not even talking about a format's day.

I'd like the physical format to keep a healthy share though, but that's just me .
                                                          Don't need hindsight
                                                          I'll make my emotions clear
                                                          And then disappear
                                                          With one strike
                                                          (All Saints)

Comment

• Originally posted by JeremySpears View Post
                                                            A nightmare
                                                            A blessing*

Comment

• Originally posted by theMathematician View Post
                                                              I think the problem isn't daily streaming updates but daily streaming updates. Back in the day, it would've been just as extensive to have daily physical or daily digital updates. Being honest, most singles have a chart life of 4-6 months, most albums of 0.5 to 1.5 years, so even one week is just a small part of its chart life, not even talking about a day, not even talking about a format's day.

I'd like the physical format to keep a healthy share though, but that's just me .
                                                              But there were daily iTunes (sales) updates. Nobody moaned back then.
                                                              I have received many gifts from God,
                                                              but this is the first time I have ever received a gift from a goddess

Don McLean on Madonna's version of American Pie

Comment

Working...
                                                              X