The Random Thought Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RayRay View Post
    As for Christmas songs... I've been playing them since late October when the first new releases were available on Spotify.
    I play Xmas songs whenever the temperature is below 15C. So I was able to play Xmas music this year in January, February, March, April, May, June, July, August, September, October, November and December.

We literally had an artic year here, the coldest May in recorded weather history.
    My Chart

Comment

Originally posted by stevyy View Post
      I enjoyed the German version the most out of all the competitions. The first season winners were the best ones also. Apart from Kelly I can't even name another winner from the US version.
      My username should help with remembering at least one more.

Besides Kelly, there's a long list of American Idol acts that have gone on to achieve commercial success and critical acclaim, though. Just to name a few:

- Carrie Underwood (biggest Idol alum album seller in the US, seven-time Grammy award winner, country music legend)
      - Chris Daughtry (his band's self-titled LP was #1 on Billboard's 2007 year-end list and is #27 all-time on their Billboard 200 list)
      - Fantasia (Grammy winner, Patti LaBelle calls her "Baby Patti", one of the bigger R&B females of the new millennium)
      - Jennifer Hudson (two-time Grammy winner, Oscar winner)
      - Jordin Sparks ("No Air" was one of the biggest global hits of 2008, she co-wrote Ariana Grande's "The Way"), is infinitely talented )
      - Adam Lambert (toured with Queen since he's the closest thing this generation has to Freddie Mercury)
      Akini's Top 400 Songs of the 2010s: [Starting soon]

The forest was shrinking, but the trees kept voting for the axe, for the axe was clever and convinced the trees that because his handle was made of wood, he was one of them.

Comment

Originally posted by stevyy View Post
        I play Xmas songs whenever the temperature is below 15C. So I was able to play Xmas music this year in January, February, March, April, May, June, July, August, September, October, November and December.

We literally had an artic year here, the coldest May in recorded weather history.
        Glad I don't live in Germany.

But I can play Christmas music the whole year as well though. I don't care if it's in the middle of a hot summer. I grew up in the tropics, so I am used to Christmas music in the sun. But I only play it on heavy rotation from the end of October.
        My Instagram... - Click here

Comment

Originally posted by JSparksFan View Post
          As far as music talent competitions go, American Idol is better than all the others combined.
          I honestly think the rap music reality contest Rhythm + Flow on Netflix has outdone the rest when it comes to developing an artist (despite having T.I as a judge).

The contestants have get to showcase their writing, performance and battle talents, instead of simply being judged on their singing (or in this case rapping) ability. Interesting concepts such as creating a song with big producers, creating a song and music video and creating a verse for a feature and then performing it with the star (Jhen Aiko, Miguel, Teyana Taylor, Ty Dolla $ign etc) make for much more compelling watching, and result in more well rounded artists imo.

Plus a cash prize and place on a Spotify playlist is the prize - which is far more relevant in 2019 when you don't necessarily need a label to build a fanbase.
          late.

Comment

Originally posted by urbanmusik View Post
            I honestly think the rap music reality contest Rhythm + Flow on Netflix has outdone the rest when it comes to developing an artist (despite having T.I as a judge).

The contestants have get to showcase their writing, performance and battle talents, instead of simply being judged on their singing (or in this case rapping) ability. Interesting concepts such as creating a song with big producers, creating a song and music video and creating a verse for a feature and then performing it with the star (Jhen Aiko, Miguel, Teyana Taylor, Ty Dolla $ign etc) make for much more compelling watching, and result in more well rounded artists imo.

Plus a cash prize and place on a Spotify playlist is the prize - which is far more relevant in 2019 when you don't necessarily need a label to build a fanbase.
            I'll have to check Rhythm + Flow out! I will admit that one of the weaknesses with Idol is that it was very often just a vocal acrobatics contest (though there are a few winners who aren't vocal beasts, but are semi-decent to decent songwriters and producers). I think them not being better rounded led to abbreviated careers (that and oversaturation of the contest; we're on season 512 at this point).
            Akini's Top 400 Songs of the 2010s: [Starting soon]

The forest was shrinking, but the trees kept voting for the axe, for the axe was clever and convinced the trees that because his handle was made of wood, he was one of them.

Comment

I'll have to check Rhythm + Flow out! I will admit that one of the weaknesses with Idol is that it was very often just a vocal acrobatics contest (though there are a few winners who aren't vocal beasts, but are semi-decent to decent songwriters and producers). I think them not being better rounded led to abbreviated careers (that and oversaturation of the contest; we're on season 512 at this point).
              You should, I was surprised at how good it was.

That assessment seems pretty spot on. The show is a massive platform, but between Idol, 8 seasons of The Voice each year and half a dozen other fledgling talent shows, the format and talent pool is a little exhausted at this point.
              late.

Comment

As far as music talent competitions go, American Idol is better than all the others combined.
                I think Making The Band was a good concept and possibly one of the only talent competitions that could rival Idol.

Comment

To the black community, this was the moon landing of the 2000s.
                  Originally posted by Kaloki
                  I don't understand why WBT still isn't at #1 tbh.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldmoney View Post
                    To the black community, this was the moon landing of the 2000s.
                    This was talked about in my High School like it was a human that landed on Mars.
                    Diva!!!

Comment

About alcohol, i need to quit drinking before i lose my health. Giving up drinking alcohol will be one of my new year resolutions.
                      Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

Has anyone seen Knives Out, if not I would recommend !

Comment

Originally posted by spiritboy View Post
                          About alcohol, i need to quit drinking before i lose my health. Giving up drinking alcohol will be one of my new year resolutions.
                          What part of Turkey do you live in ?

Comment

Originally posted by InFamous View Post
                            What part of Turkey do you live in ?
                            In Izmir, on the Aegean coast, it's the third biggest city but most secular one.
                            Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

In Izmir, on the Aegean coast, it's the third biggest city but most secular one.
                              I have been to Istanbul.

Comment

Originally posted by InFamous View Post
                                I have been to Istanbul.
                                Istanbul is a beautiful city but sadly they ruined it. Beyoglu was a great district and they've ruined it after Gezi Park incidents. [portion of post removed by a moderator ]
                                Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

The best bet would probably be a phased approach tbh.

Instead of drinking every day, make it 6 days, then 5, etc.

I think an abrupt cutoff doesnt work for a lot of people.

Comment

Originally posted by bm08 View Post
                                    The best bet would probably be a phased approach tbh.

Instead of drinking every day, make it 6 days, then 5, etc.

I think an abrupt cutoff doesnt work for a lot of people.
                                    If you are drinking every day in the first place there is a big problem there.

Comment

Istanbul is a beautiful city but sadly they ruined it. Beyoglu was a great district and they've ruined it after Gezi Park incidents. [portion of post removed by a moderator]
                                      Imagine a German person would say this
                                      Eh, mam!
                                      Me quiero matar
                                      El mundo se va a la mierda
                                      Y no he hecho nada

Comment

I've edited the original post by [MENTION=948]spiritboy[/MENTION] and the quote. Literally the first rule on UKMIX.

a) All forms of personal abuse, prejudice and discrimination are unacceptable and will not be tolerated, be they in the form of posts or private messages we would encourage posters to report posts or messages that violate this rule and we reserve the right to skip stages in our moderation policy in the most serious examples of abuse.
                                        Xenophobia isn't welcome or tolerated on UKMIX. We have members of all cultures, ethnicities, genders and sexualities on this website. If you hold certain prejudices against certain people groups, keep that to yourself - or better yet, educate yourself.

Immigrants and certain populations shouldn't be made to feel unwelcome on this website.
                                        late.

Comment

^Unless they don't like pineapple on a pizza?
                                          I have received many gifts from God,
                                          but this is the first time I have ever received a gift from a goddess

Don McLean on Madonna's version of American Pie

Comment

Working...
                                          X