The Random Thought Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Preyoncé View Post

I love the album but she kinda spoilt the official video release with that documentary. It should have been an “extra” feature. The break in the live concert kinda spoilt the entire experience for me. I still watch week 1 live which I have in HD.
    I only watched it as a concert. Personally I generally only like to watch live albums not listen. Especially if its a big visual attached.

Comment

• Mary is these bitches mother

Comment

• Hypocritical people are the worst kind of people.

Comment

• I just read this on a web site and now having to rethink several interactions I had in the UK. Is this true?

Before an adjective, American quite means ‘very’, while British quite means ‘somewhat’. So, if the American tourist is quite tired, direct him to his bed. But if a Brit tells you a restaurant is quite good, you’d be wise to keep looking for somewhere better.

Comment

• Originally posted by cheapthrills View Post
            I just read this on a web site and now having to rethink several interactions I had in the UK. Is this true?
            In terms of the restaurant quite good basically means so so, it was ok but not great. Passable, if you will.

But i mean very and quite do not mean the same anyway and never should be taken to mean the same.

The line would be as follows,

OK, quite good, good, very good, excellent.
            Last edited by InFamous; Thu June 25th, 2020, 19:14.

Comment

• I use quite more as "somewhat", than "very", at least that is how I was taught in school.
              Waffles are checked cookies

Comment

• Originally posted by heppolo View Post
                I use quite more as "somewhat", than "very", at least that is how I was taught in school.
                That is 100 percent correct.

Comment

• Oh wow, how embarrassing. No wonder the bartender in Liverpool gave me that look when I said the drink was quite good.

Comment

Oh wow, how embarrassing. No wonder the bartender in Liverpool gave me that look when I said the drink was quite good.
                    LOL OMG, i guess you did not get his phone number then

Comment

Oh wow, how embarrassing. No wonder the bartender in Liverpool gave me that look when I said the drink was quite good.

THRILLER’S SOUNDS OF THE 90s

Comment

• Rain On Me did quite well on the charts.

Donald is quite good at his job.

Maria had quite a career outside America.

Ukmix is running quite fast and smoothly today.

Got it!

Comment

• Originally posted by Rihab View Post
                          Rain On Me did quite well on the charts.

Donald is quite good at his job.

Maria had quite a career outside America.

Ukmix is running quite fast and smoothly today.

Got it!

OH nice use of the italics Sarcasm noted !

However if you said it without sarcasm in this context ( about Mariahs career) quite is a complimentary thing haha
                          Just that way of expressing it. But if you said she had "quite a good career" it just means OK.

eg, Billie has quite a career in front of her. -
                          Billie hat eine große Karriere vor sich.
                          Last edited by InFamous; Sun June 28th, 2020, 14:46.

Comment

• I always use quite as “very”, and use it quite often (see what I did there),
                            but I heard about this other meaning. So weird to me, I’ll really need to pay attention if I ever go to the UK
                            last.fm

Comment

• Another British phrase I find a bit strange is "different to". In school, and in most books I've read, I'm accustomed to seeing adherence to the "similar to/different from" 'rule' so when I first heard a British track commentator say "different to", I was shook.
                              Akini's Top 400 Songs of the Decade: [2-1!]

Comment

• Originally posted by JSparksFan View Post
                                Another British phrase I find a bit strange is "different to". In school, and in most books I've read, I'm accustomed to seeing adherence to the "similar to/different from" 'rule' so when I first heard a British track commentator say "different to", I was shook.
                                Different to is very commonly used in the UK. Some people also use "Different than"

Comment

• Originally posted by Carbon View Post
                                  I always use quite as “very”, and use it quite often (see what I did there),
                                  but I heard about this other meaning. So weird to me, I’ll really need to pay attention if I ever go to the UK
                                  Not being funny but there are loads of little discrepancies/differences between US and UK english. Have you all really never known about this before now ?

Comment

• The differences between BE and AE were a constant topic of my EFL lessons at school back then. Maybe that depends on the country where you live's curriculum though...
                                    Don't need hindsight
                                    I'll make my emotions clear
                                    And then disappear
                                    With one strike
                                    (All Saints)

Comment

• Originally posted by theMathematician View Post
                                      The differences between BE and AE were a constant topic of my EFL lessons at school back then. Maybe that depends on the country where you live's curriculum though...
                                      I mean your keyboard has always given a choice between US and UK English. Lots of words are spelled slightly differently as well as differing expressions!

Comment

• I try to go for AE whenever possible, but I'm almost certain that I'm not 100% consistent with it as English is a foreign language for me.
                                        Last edited by theMathematician; Tue June 30th, 2020, 19:00.
                                        Don't need hindsight
                                        I'll make my emotions clear
                                        And then disappear
                                        With one strike
                                        (All Saints)

Comment

• the best one is NZ English though

Comment

• Originally posted by theMathematician View Post
                                            I try to go for AE whenever possible, but I'm almost certain that I'm not 100% consistant with it as English is a foreign language for me.
                                            You write beautifully

*consistent

Comment

• I grew up speaking American English, but then I married an English guy who tried to make me speak "proper" English, so I guess I speak a mix of the two now.
                                            My Instagram... - Click here

Comment

• Originally posted by InFamous View Post

Not being funny but there are loads of little discrepancies/differences between US and UK english. Have you all really never known about this before now ?
                                              I’ve heard about this before, but still find it unnatural, probably cause I use US English. My mind just associates quite with very automatically.
                                              last.fm

Comment

• nice to be back online.
                                                My Chart

Comment

• Originally posted by stevyy View Post
                                                  nice to be back online.
                                                  sure is.

Comment

nice to be back online.
                                                    Let’s write a song about it
                                                    Britney Spears • Janet Jackson • Christina Aguilera • Michael Jackson • Selena Gomez • Hilary Duff • Taylor Swift • Justin Timberlake

Comment

nice to be back online.
                                                      Missed you much

Comment

nice to be back online.
                                                        I'd be more cautious

Comment

• My Instagram... - Click here

Comment

• Incredible film - the first colour film on record of London in 1924, nearly 100 years ago.

Comment

Working...
                                                            X