Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Random Thought Thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • The Random Thought Thread

    The Random Thought Thread (IV)



    Rules

    1. Don't be a dickhead.
    2. Music discussion is fine, but this topic shouldn't just be about music when we now have the Pop Talk topic. If it becomes a music topic, I'll lock it for good as it's then not serving a purpose.
    3. Personal abuse will not be tolerated, there is a zero tolerance approach to this - on the back of this, I've upweighted infractions for personal abuse which basically means you'll receive a 7 day ban for personal abuse on your 2nd infraction.
    4. Try and engage in genuine discussion, gif usage should be the exception and not the rule.
    5. Where you want to discuss a specific artist issue or have an extended discussion about a specific song/album, use the relevant topic to do that.
    6. Do not use the topic to call out what you perceive to be poor moderation, pick up directly with a moderator if you think that there are problems not being addressed.

    Have fun!

  • #2
    Alcohol is humanitys second greatest invention (after hawt men) and that is the teaT
    BEAUTY IS A MUST, TALENT IS A PLUS
    98 - OUT

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by aRat View Post
      Alcohol is humanitys second greatest invention (after hawt men) and that is the teaT
      I don't drink and I don't like people who are drunk.

      Music is the greatest invention IMO.
      My Instagram... - Click here

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by RayRay View Post
        I don't drink and I don't like people who are drunk.

        Music is the greatest invention IMO.
        Musique is third in my book
        BEAUTY IS A MUST, TALENT IS A PLUS
        98 - OUT

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by aRat View Post
          Alcohol is humanitys second greatest invention (after hawt men) and that is the teaT
          I haven't consumed a drop of alcohol since August 2018, and wasn't a big drinker prior to that tbf.

          Ever since I danced on a bar, and fell off - I've been a bit weary over the booze.

          Also, drunk people are invariably annoying.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Wayne View Post
            I haven't consumed a drop of alcohol since August 2018, and wasn't a big drinker prior to that tbf.

            Ever since I danced on a bar, and fell off - I've been a bit weary over the booze.

            Also, drunk people are invariably annoying.
            No one says that you have to get drunk tho. You can enjoy it without overdoing it.

            WaiT didn't you say you got a scar when you fell off? That's kinda hawt.
            BEAUTY IS A MUST, TALENT IS A PLUS
            98 - OUT

            Comment


            • #7
              Not a scar as such, but I do have a small metal plate in my jaw.

              Nightmare.

              And you're right, you can drink without getting drunk - incidentially, how often do you not drink to get drunk?

              Comment


              • #8
                Yay- Welcome back, RT! You've been missed!

                I love alcohol but almost never drink alone. The last time I remember doing so was when Trump won.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Wayne View Post
                  Not a scar as such, but I do have a small metal plate in my jaw.

                  Nightmare.

                  And you're right, you can drink without getting drunk - incidentially, how often do you not drink to get drunk?
                  I never drink to get drunk. I drink coz I like the taste / flavor of it and to get a lil tipsy and let loose.

                  Though I must say I am able to drink way more than the average person I know without getting drunk. I must have a larger liver or something.

                  BEAUTY IS A MUST, TALENT IS A PLUS
                  98 - OUT

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I also don't drink alcohol. The only exception being New Year's Eve.
                    My Chart

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by RayRay View Post
                      Music is the greatest invention IMO.
                      I agree. Despite that truth, I would find life harder blind than deaf.

                      There is nothing better than being tired and relaxing on the sofa with a good Vinyl on and then napping in out of it.
                      My Chart

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        As far as music talent competitions go, American Idol is better than all the others combined.
                        Akini's Top 100 Albums of the Decade: [2-1!]

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by JSparksFan View Post
                          As far as music talent competitions go, American Idol is better than all the others combined.
                          I enjoyed the German version the most out of all the competitions. The first season winners were the best ones also. Apart from Kelly I can't even name another winner from the US version.
                          My Chart

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by aRat View Post
                            I never drink to get drunk. I drink coz I like the taste / flavor of it and to get a lil tipsy and let loose.
                            I don't like the taste of wine and beer. I do drink a Bailey's once or twice a year. Luckily I don't need it to get loose. I'm always the first on the dance floor.
                            And although not everyone drink to get drunk, not many people know when to stop.
                            My Instagram... - Click here

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              So who is in the Christmas spirit already?

                              Having the lights up, the tree, the songs...
                              My Instagram... - Click here

                              Comment


                              • #16
                                Originally posted by stevyy View Post
                                I enjoyed the German version the most out of all the competitions. The first season winners were the best ones also. Apart from Kelly I can't even name another winner from the US version.
                                Carrie Underwood for sure? Like I don't know even one of her songs, but she has been that country girl appearing everywhere. Also Jordin Sparks. The rest have no careers though.
                                I have received many gifts from God,
                                but this is the first time I have ever received a gift from a goddess
                                .

                                Don McLean on Madonna's version of American Pie

                                Comment


                                • #17
                                  Originally posted by beredy View Post
                                  Carrie Underwood for sure? Like I don't know even one of her songs, but she has been that country girl appearing everywhere. Also Jordin Sparks. The rest have no careers though.
                                  Oh yeah, I remember them, also David Cook <-- but him only for his Mariah cover.
                                  [MENTION=31471]RayRay[/MENTION] I have 0 decorations out bc in 2 weeks i will be moving appartments. It's frustrating. All by decoration is still stored. I'm the most festive person ever.
                                  My Chart

                                  Comment


                                  • #18
                                    ^ Fantasia
                                    My Instagram... - Click here

                                    Comment


                                    • #19
                                      Originally posted by RayRay View Post
                                      ^ Fantasia
                                      I only know her from the Got 2B Real series and this super dumb chick. lol.
                                      My Chart

                                      Comment


                                      • #20
                                        Originally posted by stevyy View Post
                                        [MENTION=31471]RayRay[/MENTION] I have 0 decorations out bc in 2 weeks i will be moving appartments. It's frustrating. All by decoration is still stored. I'm the most festive person ever.
                                        I just decorated my classroom today. (We celebrate St. Nicolaas on the 5th, so there is no way when you work with children that you can start the season before the 6th.
                                        But we haven't decorated our home, yet. Probably on Sunday.
                                        As for Christmas songs... I've been playing them since late October when the first new releases were available on Spotify.
                                        My Instagram... - Click here

                                        Comment


                                        • #21
                                          Originally posted by RayRay View Post
                                          As for Christmas songs... I've been playing them since late October when the first new releases were available on Spotify.
                                          I play Xmas songs whenever the temperature is below 15C. So I was able to play Xmas music this year in January, February, March, April, May, June, July, August, September, October, November and December.

                                          We literally had an artic year here, the coldest May in recorded weather history.
                                          My Chart

                                          Comment


                                          • #22
                                            Originally posted by stevyy View Post
                                            I enjoyed the German version the most out of all the competitions. The first season winners were the best ones also. Apart from Kelly I can't even name another winner from the US version.
                                            My username should help with remembering at least one more.

                                            Besides Kelly, there's a long list of American Idol acts that have gone on to achieve commercial success and critical acclaim, though. Just to name a few:

                                            - Carrie Underwood (biggest Idol alum album seller in the US, seven-time Grammy award winner, country music legend)
                                            - Chris Daughtry (his band's self-titled LP was #1 on Billboard's 2007 year-end list and is #27 all-time on their Billboard 200 list)
                                            - Fantasia (Grammy winner, Patti LaBelle calls her "Baby Patti", one of the bigger R&B females of the new millennium)
                                            - Jennifer Hudson (two-time Grammy winner, Oscar winner)
                                            - Jordin Sparks ("No Air" was one of the biggest global hits of 2008, she co-wrote Ariana Grande's "The Way"), is infinitely talented )
                                            - Adam Lambert (toured with Queen since he's the closest thing this generation has to Freddie Mercury)
                                            Akini's Top 100 Albums of the Decade: [2-1!]

                                            Comment


                                            • #23
                                              Originally posted by stevyy View Post
                                              I play Xmas songs whenever the temperature is below 15C. So I was able to play Xmas music this year in January, February, March, April, May, June, July, August, September, October, November and December.

                                              We literally had an artic year here, the coldest May in recorded weather history.
                                              Glad I don't live in Germany.

                                              But I can play Christmas music the whole year as well though. I don't care if it's in the middle of a hot summer. I grew up in the tropics, so I am used to Christmas music in the sun. But I only play it on heavy rotation from the end of October.
                                              My Instagram... - Click here

                                              Comment


                                              • #24
                                                Originally posted by JSparksFan View Post
                                                As far as music talent competitions go, American Idol is better than all the others combined.
                                                I honestly think the rap music reality contest Rhythm + Flow on Netflix has outdone the rest when it comes to developing an artist (despite having T.I as a judge).

                                                The contestants have get to showcase their writing, performance and battle talents, instead of simply being judged on their singing (or in this case rapping) ability. Interesting concepts such as creating a song with big producers, creating a song and music video and creating a verse for a feature and then performing it with the star (Jhen Aiko, Miguel, Teyana Taylor, Ty Dolla $ign etc) make for much more compelling watching, and result in more well rounded artists imo.

                                                Plus a cash prize and place on a Spotify playlist is the prize - which is far more relevant in 2019 when you don't necessarily need a label to build a fanbase.
                                                late.

                                                Comment


                                                • #25
                                                  Originally posted by urbanmusik View Post
                                                  I honestly think the rap music reality contest Rhythm + Flow on Netflix has outdone the rest when it comes to developing an artist (despite having T.I as a judge).

                                                  The contestants have get to showcase their writing, performance and battle talents, instead of simply being judged on their singing (or in this case rapping) ability. Interesting concepts such as creating a song with big producers, creating a song and music video and creating a verse for a feature and then performing it with the star (Jhen Aiko, Miguel, Teyana Taylor, Ty Dolla $ign etc) make for much more compelling watching, and result in more well rounded artists imo.

                                                  Plus a cash prize and place on a Spotify playlist is the prize - which is far more relevant in 2019 when you don't necessarily need a label to build a fanbase.
                                                  I'll have to check Rhythm + Flow out! I will admit that one of the weaknesses with Idol is that it was very often just a vocal acrobatics contest (though there are a few winners who aren't vocal beasts, but are semi-decent to decent songwriters and producers). I think them not being better rounded led to abbreviated careers (that and oversaturation of the contest; we're on season 512 at this point).
                                                  Akini's Top 100 Albums of the Decade: [2-1!]

                                                  Comment

                                                  Working...
                                                  X