Colorism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colorism

Colorism for those who don’t know is the bias that one color is superior to others, and in our world it is overwhelmingly that lighter skin is superior to darker skin. But this can also be assumed of traits that we relate with whiteness like straight hair, thin noses, etc.

I wanted to see what sort of discussions pop up, but first off, does colorism impact any of you?

i honestly don’t think anyone’s gonna respond lol
    Please Stop the Music

This gonna be messy
    Last edited by Aaronsmithjune1; Mon December 16, 2019, 08:42.

Comment

Well, let us all be like pandas. They are white, black and Asian.

Comment

I don’t think it’s that simple tho
        Please Stop the Music

Comment

Originally posted by xtofer View Post

Comment

Originally posted by Aaronsmithjune1 View Post
            This gonna be messy
            Britney Spears • Janet Jackson • Christina Aguilera • Michael Jackson • Selena Gomez • Hilary Duff • Taylor Swift • Justin Timberlake

Comment

Originally posted by xtofer View Post

challenge accepted

Comment

Great topic.

Within the Black community (in America), colorism is still very present and no one wants to admit. Especially when it comes to Black Women. There have been multiple Black male celebrities who have publicly dissed Darker-skinned Black women. Even when I looked at pictures from Diddy's 50th Birthday party, I could not spot one Black male celebrity that had a "non-mixed looking girl with them." There are so many examples that I could give, I'd be typing for a full day.

I know that colorism is an issue many are facing. Asian/Asian Descent, Middle Eastern/Descent, Those in Latin American countries etc....
                Diva!!!

Comment

Originally posted by TIfan View Post
                  Great topic.

Within the Black community (in America), colorism is still very present and no one wants to admit. Especially when it comes to Black Women. There have been multiple Black male celebrities who have publicly dissed Darker-skinned Black women. Even when I looked at pictures from Diddy's 50th Birthday party, I could not spot one Black male celebrity that had a "non-mixed looking girl with them." There are so many examples that I could give, I'd be typing for a full day.

I know that colorism is an issue many are facing. Asian/Asian Descent, Middle Eastern/Descent, Those in Latin American countries etc....
                  Absolutely true. The reason I started this thread was because I was watching this video online asking majority black men what race of women they prefer and don't prefer (which is problematic within itself but not my main point) and the overwhelming majority said they would not be with a black women. And I just kept on watching more of these kids and realized how embedded self hate is. The internalized hatred is real, saying they don't want to be with someone their skin color or darker. . . They hate being black so then they want to be as far away from blackness as possible.

Even in media, in the music world, while many black artists have had extreme successes unlike in the real world, it is often times black women of lighter color and if it is a dark skinned man, like you said, almost always he has a white/ light skin woman on his side.
                  Please Stop the Music

Comment

In non-white communities, you can even see this in the rising levels of bleaching, where women oftentimes but increasingly men as well are lightening themselves, risking their lives. They are putting dangerous chemicals on their skin to look light, and now many are teaching their children to do the same. . . For many white people and many others this may appear to be one off instances but this is truly a legacy of white colonialism that has embedded a sense of anti-color to benefit from the institutions that oppress them. To me, it is so sad seeing even family members of mine that have bleached themselves silly, and I myself have used products at a young age, not knowing their purpose but they smelled like papaya so I used them. Go to any non-white continent and you will see lots of people that look un-naturally pale or ghostly, and this is a result of bleaching skin. This is absolutely reckless in terms of distribution and the impacts are honestly sad.
                    Please Stop the Music

Comment

Colorism is unfortunately still an issue within many Asian communities. Lighter skin is seen as superior to darker skin, which is really, really sad considering a lot of South & South-East Asians especially, have naturally darker skin colors.

I remember when I was still elementary school, it was the era when kids my age were first exposed to Western culture through TV, movies & music, and all of my friends' celebrity crushes were like either Britney Spears, Avril Lavigne, Megan Fox, Emma Watson, etc. and when I said mine was Beyonce they were like "Uhmm why? I mean she's cute but her skin is too dark" and I felt like punching them in their faces (well not really, I was still a kid and I didn't understand the concept of colorism/racism back then) but I just found it ironic considering a lot of people from my country have similar or even darker skin tone compared to Beyonce, and mind you Beyonce herself is not even that dark to begin with.

Also I remember when I was in high school there was this girl in my class who had darker skin tone than the others and the kids would joke that they couldn't see her when the lights in the class go off. We found it funny back then but now that I think about it, it's just really, really sad that us as kids already had that perception regarding skin colors probably because society taught us so.

That issue still exists to this day, it's getting better but it's still here.

Comment

I did not witness much colorism living in Michigan, but when I first moved to NYC, the amount of racism and colorism I witnessed was unbelievable. I did not realize how badly colorism affected countries in Latin America and the Caribbean islands. The way many of those men would diss darker skinned women was truly heartbreaking and the denial of their heritage was even more heartbreaking. Living in Michigan, I saw that there was someone for everyone. Leaving Michigan made me realize that the recovery from the slave trade in the Americas will be a longer road than many thought. I grew up around Blacks and Middle Easterns and I can assure you that their experiences of colorism is just as bad.

Visibility means a lot, and that is why I am glad Lupita N'Yongo is becoming a real movie star. Darker-skinned Black women are often portrayed as masculine and warriors but Lupita and a few others are bringing something different.
                        Diva!!!

Comment

Many Black men in America have this fetish of having "mixed-looking" kids.

My own father treated my two older siblings and myself very badly. The moment he had 2 mixed kids, he gave them the world, and even took from us to give to them.
                          Diva!!!

Comment

^I was shocked, when I visited SEAsia for the first time and saw how bleaching cream was available everywhere. You just walk in a convinient store and there it is, next to sunscreen like it was a basic need item.
                            I've also met two girls from China there being a semester abroad, which wouldn't go outside the hotel without an umbrella during the day or stay indoors just so they wouldn't get tanned.
                            Crazy what advertisement and representation does to people
                            aRat's NUDES LEAKED

Comment

Yes. My family is from the Horn of Africa and whenever I go into one of the shops, in the glass cases right next to the henna and jewelry is bleaching creams, the most famous is Fair & Lovely. And many won't go outside without umbrellas, long shirts, similar to SEAsian countries but I feel they take it up a notch. Many claim it is to avoid sun damage, but one they obviously don't want to get dark but those bleaching creams when put on are not supposed to see daylight for some hours. . . It's not just they are avoiding getting dark but they are avoiding a negative reaction from the sun exposure with their chemically bleached skin. Food for thought lol
                              Please Stop the Music

Comment

The umbrella thing is so true in SE Asia. Though in my defense at least, in tropical countries, the heat could be really unbearable to some of us. In cities like Singapore, Jakarta & Kuala Lumpur especially, it really could go from the hottest day ever to the biggest rain of the year just in under a few hours. On top of that, us SE Asians are more covered up and we love to wear a few layers of clothing so the umbrella does help to avoid the heat and stop us from sweating.

Comment

Originally posted by TIfan View Post
                                  Many Black men in America have this fetish of having "mixed-looking" kids.

My own father treated my two older siblings and myself very badly. The moment he had 2 mixed kids, he gave them the world, and even took from us to give to them.
                                  It has nothing to do with a fetish. Most Black men just feel like white women respect them more than black women

Comment

It has nothing to do with a fetish. Most Black men just feel like white women respect them more than black women
                                    It has EVERYTHING to do with the fetish of having "mixed-looking" kids. When I lived in New York, there were countless of Black men that said "I don't want kids with a Black woman because they might end up being dark skinned." Black men were the ones making comments of "she's too dark" or "she looks better because she is more mixed-looking."

Respect??? No darling. Black women have and are lowering themselves just to be with Black men. I've also seen many Black women take care of Black men, only for the Black men to leave them for a Biracial or White girl. The fetishism that many Black men in USA have of wanting "mixed-looking" kids is definitely prevalent.
                                    Diva!!!

Comment

That's just a little nice excuse to cover the fact they prefer non-Black women lol, the amount of times I heard black men say this. They happen to be the ones constantly degrading black women, it is wrong to do to our women, but they will joke about ugly they are, how "loud" and "rude" they are. If anything, they have internalized the white man's image of a black woman.
                                      Please Stop the Music

Comment

This is just incorrect. It’s fetishisation of having mixed race looking kids. Men will literally say they won’t date dark skinned women because they don’t want dark skinned children.
                                        ? i bloom just for you ?

Comment

Originally posted by bluecherry View Post
                                          This is just incorrect. It’s fetishisation of having mixed race looking kids. Men will literally say they won’t date dark skinned women because they don’t want dark skinned children.
                                          Never heard this out of a black man's mouth. This is just what black women always say

Comment

I grew up in the West Indies and colorism is a thing there. It's not something we speak of but it does exist.

Personally, I appreciate all shades of black BUT I LOVE dark skin. I mean dark skinned men are my weakness.
                                            Last edited by dylonj; Fri December 20, 2019, 16:02.

Comment

Never heard this out of a black man's mouth. This is just what black women always say
                                              Maybe if you pay more attention next time you're watching Homecoming you'll get it.

late.

Comment

Originally posted by urbanmusik View Post
                                                Maybe if you pay more attention next time you're watching Homecoming you'll get it.

2 totally different topics. You tried it though. But in reality a black woman would be accepted by others than a black man. It's a reason why the Black man is the lowest in the barrel .you need to step off the internet really quick and take a look around, because no one has it harder than the average black man. May that's why black mamen have so many bi racial kids? Not necessarily because they're obsessed with the look, they maybe just think their kids will have a easier life? It's always been about breaking the black man and will always be. Because black people are Gods chosen people. You also probably think the black man didn't endure more during slavery also.
                                                Last edited by Aaronsmithjune1; Sat December 21, 2019, 18:44.

Comment

2 totally different topics. You tried it though. But in reality a black woman would be accepted by others than a black man. It's a reason why the Black man is the lowest in the barrel .you need to step off the internet really quick and take a look around, because no one has it harder than the average black man. May that's why black mamen have so many bi racial kids? Not necessarily because they're obsessed with the look, they maybe just think their kids will have a easier life? It's always been about breaking the black man and will always be. Because black people are Gods chosen people. You also probably think the black man didn't endure more during slavery also.
                                                  It's the same topic. I never said or implied any of that shit.

Your comment about white women treating black men with more respect than black women was just an example of the disrespect that black women get shown in the world (and was also a sweeping generalisation with no actual basis).
                                                  late.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X