No announcement yet.

Georgia invaded by Russia; appeals for US assistance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well as I said, the US has intervened and George Bush has implied that if Russia continues then international ties will severely be tarnished and future relations cold

The USA is sending aid in the form of food and drink etc in aircraft

Comment

Here the news: http://samsonblinded.org/news/governmen ... ussia-2647 Israelis supply weapons to Georgia!

Comment

Originally posted by tranquill
        Here the news: http://samsonblinded.org/news/governmen ... ussia-2647 Israelis supply weapons to Georgia!
        I thought Israel & Russia were friends or at least not enemies!

Comment

Do not worry greek_boy Israel can look after itself,but all friends fall out time to time!

Cheers Cidermaster
          You can never have enough luxury lemon drizzle cake

Comment

I think people are underestimating the involvement of the USA. Putin has no choice but to retreat but he's gonna hold a major grudge :-?

Comment

http://www.thespoof.com/news/spoof.cfm? ... e=s3i39135

Comment

Well Russia are trying to bully Poland now,about the USA supporting them with long range missile bases.

One solution,get all the world's leaders in a very large Pub or Bar with the Cidermaster for an all day session,i could teach them to chill out,bond,make friends for life,laugh well with fellow humans,how to use a good dukebox,and also focus on saving the planet!

I think i would take thelazyboy aswell and irishguy28,and yes space75,anybody else please let me know,you know i love you all!

Cheers Cidermaster

Cheers Cidermaster

Comment

If its ok with you lot, I'm moving this to This & That, since its not really a gossip item, more an item of world news.
                  Let's embrace the point of no return.

Comment

heh, just saw this. want an opinion from a Russian? or rather the version that is served here. Georgia attacked Osetia, Russia came to help. we're not the bastards in this story. yet world's media is trying to sell the story like we can be blamed. Russia got too popular, USA felt like it was needed to be retracted. that's why we're trying to be shown as bad guys now.
                    basically - don't believe the hype
                    for some reason... I'm here

Comment

I applaud Russia for intervening but they now need to back the hell off. And Georgia should be reprimanded too

Comment

Originally posted by Dalmatin
                        heh, just saw this. want an opinion from a Russian? or rather the version that is served here. Georgia attacked Osetia, Russia came to help. we're not the bastards in this story. yet world's media is trying to sell the story like we can be blamed. Russia got too popular, USA felt like it was needed to be retracted. that's why we're trying to be shown as bad guys now.
                        I definitely didn't believe Georgia was 100% innocent.
                        Russia just doesn't go around attacking other countries randomly.

Comment

I was rather worried by one thing I heard on the news. It was something like

"The USA is backing Georgia because Georgia backed them through and through in Iraq"

"However, the USA might have to sacrifice small countries like Georgia so that Russia will back them in the war against terror"

Hang on a minute here? For a start, we have a country backing another "because they helped them out in Iraq", and then after that they "might have to sacrifice" them. Since when should the decision as to who is in the right in a war come down to who supported you in your own efforts? Since when was it morally right to "sacrifice" a "small country"?

Comment

What is wrong with backing Georgia out in exchange of their help in Iraq?

And, as someone born in a country that was "helped" by Russia in 1945 so much that we had to bear with them for 45 years, give me a break with the "help".
                            The point is that Putin / Medvedev want to revert back to a strong state-controlled Soviet Union and I guess it is only fair from US (and any person that believes in the freedom of speech, the right to own property and all others rights crushed by Stalin & co) not to want that.
                            Let's have a second referendum

Comment

Ummm just one little point I have sympathy for the South Ossetians but why did the Russians cross the line by going into Georgia proper ,destroying Georgian infrastructure and terrifying civilians. A bit of payback maybe ? No side can take the high moral ground. Humanity has failed the test again.

Comment

What is out world coming to?
                                Personal Chart Playlist

Comment

I was told when I was younger that we would never see a world war, not during my life time at least. With all the problems in the world, I think that we are closer to one that we believe...According to the Sun (yes I know, not the most reliable newspaper), Russia's army is at conflict with the Russian president. Or something like that. Basically, the Russian president has said she wants an IMMEDIATE withdrawal from Georgia whereas the head of the Russian army has said they will take as long as is necessary :-?

Comment

It seems to me Putin and his followers want to rebuild the Russian empire,Poland and Ukraine have been almost threatened recently by Putin.

Putin should grow up and try and be human,for this is not the 1930s,he should read about Stalin again and remember in history do not go looking for trouble.

Also the rest of the world should remember,doing nothing is often worse than doing something.

Mind you that said,the West could have welcomed Russia more into the world of Democracy,yes we could have been alot warmer.

Cheers Cidermaster

PS There is alot of hope,for there are plenty of decent Russian people who want to just like us,love have friends and be free.

Also the rich Russians like shopping in London,Paris etc etc,they like to be respected in Europe,so maybe the good Russian people should teach Putin a lesson.

Or Putin could meet me!!

Comment

cider, you completely lost it

Comment

Originally posted by Plym
                                        I definitely didn't believe Georgia was 100% innocent.
                                        Russia just doesn't go around attacking other countries randomly.
                                        Those are exactly my thoughts. :-?

Comment

What i was trying to say Dalmatin is that there are countless decent Russians that hopefully will check Putin,i wished we had checked Blair before the Iraq invasion.

Putin and Bush,both poor leaders and both need replacing,one will soon,hopefully followed by the other.

And yes i have lost it,i lost it years ago,mind you imagine if i found it!!

Cheers Cidermaster

Comment

I'm not addressing this to anyone in particular, this is just what I've been thinking to myself.

There always exists such a thing as war propaganda, and you'll never know which side is telling you the truth, and which side is telling you a lie - especially if you're not living in the countries that are at war against each other. It's easy for outsiders to judge other countries, but I wish people would be more critical with what they see on the media (IMO the media is mostly based on rumors, not the truth).

The fact is, you cannot possibly know who started the war. There are two different versions of what happened, but nobody really knows for sure what happened, except for the people who were involved...

and I guess that's all I'm going to say about the topic (at least for now). And, btw, I'm not taking any sides. Just stating my confusion out loud.

Comment

Yes but Freedom is Freedom!

Cheers Cidermaster

Comment

Originally posted by StarQuality
                                                The fact is, you cannot possibly know who started the war. There are two different versions of what happened, but nobody really knows for sure what happened, except for the people who were involved...
                                                very true
                                                both sides are fed with the media coverage that serves purposes of each given country. so I don't say Russian version of it is more correct than world's
                                                and, cider, Putin is a good leader - he has flaws, but he managed to resurrect the country after what Yeltsin put it through.

Comment

Originally posted by cidermaster
                                                  Yes but Freedom is Freedom!

Cheers Cidermaster
                                                  Huh?! I'm all for freedom, Cider. Me, if anyone, should know how important freedom & independence is - my grandfathers fought in the Finnish-Soviet winterwar of 1939, as well as the continuation war of 1941, defending Finland's independence.

I was just stating in general terms how there are usually two different versions of how some particular war gets started. The Finnish version of the winterwar, for instance, probably differs from the Russian version.

And what does the rest of the world believe? (=How are these wars reported to the rest of the world? From whose perspective?)

The Georgia-Russia war made me think about questions like these again.

Comment

[and, cider, Putin is a good leader - he has flaws, but he managed to resurrect the country after what Yeltsin put it through.
                                                    I think it is true that Putin has resurrected Russia. The key now is to where he takes Russia into the future. He has nearly absolute power and can take Russia in either two directions. One is the road to dictatorship or the other the road to democracy which includes respect for the rule of law that gives equality before the law, true free elections, an independent judicary, a independent media and hopefully a modern secular state. All Russians should have equal access to power and should enjoy universally recognized freedoms and liberties.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X