Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Georgia invaded by Russia; appeals for US assistance

Georgia calls for US help as Russians invade to defend South Ossetia
    Kremlin retaliates for Georgian military assault to regain control of rebel region

Tanks said to be Russian are shown on television rolling through South Ossetia. Photograph: AP

Georgia today called on the US to step in after Russian tanks rolled across the border to aid separatists in the breakaway region of South Ossetia.

The Georgian president, Mikhail Saakashvili, said it was in US interests to help his "freedom-loving" nation.

In an interview with CNN, he said: "Russia is fighting a war with us in our own territory.

"It's not about Georgia any more. It's about America, its values. We are a freedom-loving nation that is right now under attack."

His plea came during a three-hour ceasefire in heavy bombardment of the South Ossetian capital, Tskhinvali, by Georgian forces.

At least 10 Russian peacekeepers have been killed and 30 injured. Fifteen civilians have died.

Russian forces invaded the regional capital, Tskhinvali, and bombed a military airbase outside the Georgian capital, Tbilisi, after the president, Dmitry Medvedev, said it was his duty to punish those responsible for Russian deaths.

Earlier, Saakashvili said 150 Russian tanks and armoured vehicles had entered the region and that his forces had shot down two Russian planes over Georgian territory.

"This is a clear intrusion on another country's territory," he said. "We have Russian tanks on our territory, jets on our territory in broad daylight."

Georgia began shelling Tskhinvali last night. Russian forces moved across the border as Georgian troops held a ceasefire to allow civilians to be evacuated.

A Russian commander of the peacekeeping force stationed in the city today said it had been "almost destroyed" by the bombardment.

Before the Russian tanks rolled across the border, Medvedev told reporters: "Under the constitution and federal law ... I must protect the life and dignity of Russian citizens wherever they are."

The Russian Interfax news agency quoted him as saying those responsible "will receive a deserved punishment".

Up to 90% of South Ossetia's non-Georgian population carry Russian passports. Kazakhstan, another former Soviet state, has indicated it may enter the conflict on Russia's side.

The Georgian foreign minister, Ekaterine Tkeshelashvili, told the BBC the current situation was calm, with Georgian troops observing a unilateral ceasefire to let civilians leave safely. An amnesty had been extended to any separatist fighters willing to lay down their arms, she said.

Early today, Georgian troops exchanged fire with convoys carrying volunteer fighters over the border to support the separatists.

Georgia said Russian SU-24 jets had entered its airspace and bombed two locations, including Gori, the birthplace of the Soviet dictator Joseph Stalin, south of the Ossetian enclave. Russia denied this.

International leaders called for peace. A spokesman for George Bush, who is in China, said: "All sides should bring an immediate end to the violence and engage in direct talks to resolve this matter peacefully."

The Nato secretary general, Jaap de Hoop Scheffer, said he was "seriously concerned" about the developments. He called for an immediate ceasefire and the start of direct peace talks.

Vladimir Putin, the Russian prime minister and former president, said "aggressive" action by Georgia would incur a "response".

"The Georgian leadership has unleashed a dirty adventure," a ministerial statement said. "Blood spilled in South Ossetia will be blamed on these people and their associates."

Speaking through Interfax from China, where he is attending the opening of the Olympics, Putin blamed the Georgian leadership for its aggressive stance.

"Heavy weapons and artillery have been sent there, and tanks have been added," Putin said.

"Deaths and injuries have been reported, including among Russian peacekeepers. It's all very sad and alarming. And, of course, there will be a response."

The Kremlin decided to move into South Ossetia after Russia's security council met to discuss how to restore peace and defend civilians. Moscow has stressed it has a peacekeeping mandate and will act on it.

Saakashvili, who has ordered reservists into action, said "the greater part" of South Ossetia had been "liberated". Interfax said Georgian troops had entered Tskhinvali, but this was denied by Georgia.

Georgian television said the country's troops had taken eight South Ossetian villages including Sarabuk, a strategic vantage point on high ground.

A few hours before heavy fighting broke out, Saakashvili had promised a unilateral Georgian ceasefire and offered South Ossetia broad autonomy within Georgia.

Georgia accuses Russian peacekeepers of supporting separatists. Today, peacekeepers said Georgians were targeting their positions and that they had lost some men.

The crisis in the Caucasus represents the first major test for Medvedev, but Putin's comments from China suggest he is calling the shots.

Georgian forces appear to have the upper hand but could soon find themselves fighting on two fronts as another separatist region, the Black Sea enclave of Abkhazia, announced troops were moving towards the Georgian border.

Cossacks from Russia said they were ready to go to the aid of the South Ossetians.

In Tskhinvali, Kokoity, the South Ossetian leader, was meeting Teymuraz Mamsurov, the leader of North Ossetia, which is within Russia and has promised to help the rebels.

Mamsurov said lorries carrying humanitarian aid from his region were attacked by Georgian aircraft last night.

When I read the title, I thought that Russia invaded US Georgia!

Anyway, that's scary. :(
    Personal Chart Playlist

Comment

Booooh to every1 who supports this :evil:

Comment

how coincidental that Medvedev has opted to exercise his constitutional/ Putinian duty right when all the world's attention is glued to the opening ceremony of the olympics... :-?

Comment

Originally posted by ryan_9048
          how coincidental that Medvedev has opted to exercise his constitutional/ Putinian duty right when all the world's attention is glued to the opening ceremony of the olympics... :-?

so Russia started this? I thought it was Georgia :x

Comment

[quote=greek_boy]
            Originally posted by "ryan_9048":3cperkf8

so Russia started this? I thought it was Georgia :x[/quote:3cperkf8]

still haven't read on the details of this and not sure what who started what, just saying something's fishy about that staged the same time as the opening ceremony

Comment

Putin cannot be trusted,he is a puppet master,there are so many good Russians its a shame they are let down by such a bad leader.

Putin is interested in only two things,power and control,hopefully the good Russian politicians can stop this nutter.

The days of Empires are over,the world needs peace,not Empires.

Cheers Cidermaster

PS One must remember though the terrible Bush And Blair partnership,so maybe i should shut up!!
              You can never have enough luxury lemon drizzle cake

Comment

[quote=ryan_9048][quote="greek_boy"5565vxd]
                Originally posted by "ryan_9048":o5565vxd

so Russia started this? I thought it was Georgia :x[/quote5565vxd]

still haven't read on the details of this and not sure what who started what, just saying something's fishy about that staged the same time as the opening ceremony[/quote5565vxd]

ok it was Georgia :evil:

the damned Georgian president is such an asshole :evil: Georgia is a poor country and he still wastes money for fights

I just heard that over 1400 people died in S.Ossetia

CNN info:
                South Ossetia, with a population of about 70,000 people, declared independence from Georgia in the early 1990s, but it was not internationally recognized. Many ethnic Ossetians feel close to Russia and have Russian passports and use its currency

Comment

This is a very complex issue it is unfortunate that that it has come to this. I feel sorry for the victims but I don't want the USA to become involved militarily. We need cool heads ,diplomacy and a cease fire.

Comment

I will comment on this when I do a bit of research on the matter,but for the moment LOL at tcatron's comment, helped me begin the day laughing.

Oh, and I've no clue who these ossetians are (and hence my needs for research)but don't you just love Putin's double standards (this and Kosovo)?
                    Let's have a second referendum

Comment

Hey potojr Putin's double standards are one thing,what about his double vodkas!

Come to think of it,what about Gordon Brown's double Scotchs!!

I bet Bush has double Scotchs aswell.

Cheers Cidermaster

Comment

Well I hope the Russians begin to withdraw as Russia's President Dimitry Medvedev said today he had ordered a halt to the military offensive against Georgia.
                        :-? If a bear lies sleeping in your back yard you don't try and wake it by getting a stick and poking it in the eye. What on earth was the Georgian President thinking when he sent troops into the breakaway South Ossetia region ?

Comment

Expecially if that bear's best friend is a Siberian Tiger!

Cheers Cidermaster

PS But more seriously because Blair and Bush cocked up by invading Iraq,what can the West say??

Comment

Originally posted by android
                            What on earth was the Georgian President thinking when he sent troops into the breakaway South Ossetia region ?

he was expecting *cough cough* some US help

but they let him down (he implied it)

Now the problem is the relationship between Russia & USA which gets worse and worse :-? :-? 3rd world war?

Comment

^There is no way the Georgian president expected the US to intervene in South Ossetia.

That would have been a highly provocative move towards the Russians, and the US simply wouldn't do that.

Comment

Georgia and Russia throw sand and insults

The war of words at the Chaoyang Park beach volleyball ground highlights the absurdity of a leisure activity masquerading as an Olympic sport

The Russian players watch as Georgia's Cristine Santanna sets up the ball for her partner. Photograph: Dan Chung/Guardian

And the gold medal for wishful thinking goes to those within the Olympic Games hierarchy who thought this morning's meeting between Georgia and Russia in the women's beach volleyball tournament would send a message to the world that sport, even the silliest sport of all, has the power to transcend international conflict.

If it does, then clearly someone forgot to pass on the news to Christine Santanna and Andrezza Chagas, wearing the red bikinis of Georgia, and Natalie Uryadova and Alexandra Shiryaeva, fetching in the white swimwear of Russia, who, having battled each other over three sets on the fake beach, carried the battle into the forest of microphones waiting for them as they departed the arena.

Those expecting platitudes, or even a condemnation of the needlessly belligerent politicians responsible for the current conflict between the two former Soviet republics, were to be sadly disappointed.

"They are not even Georgians," said Shiryaeva after she and her partner were defeated by two sets to one (21-10, 20-22, 12-15).

"Sore losers," said the president of the Georgian Volleyball Federation, Levan Akhvlediani. "The Russians should go home."

"It is very stupid for Georgia to start a war with Russia because we are very big and they are very small, but that is always the way in history with Georgia," said Uryadova.

"They probably don't even know the name of the Georgian president,"
                                snapped Shiryaeva.

"Mikhael Saakashvili," said Santanna who -- for the record -- was born in Brazil, lives in Brazil, has a Georgian passport and has been there twice. "I met his wife at the athletes' village the other day. She was lovely."

"They are Brazilians," repeated Shiryaeva.

"I want to congratulate them because I know they're a good team, " said Santanna. "Despite where we are from today, I do not want there to be a war between us. I respect them as players. Everyone is making this political but we did not want this at all."

The majority of those listening were not convinced. As for the rest, they were hoping against hope that Vladimir Putin and the aforementioned Saakashvili didn't go to the same school of international diplomacy as these girls.

People have been dying this past week in South Ossetia and Abkhazia so one must tip-toe carefully in the search for a broader meaning in this particular sporting contest. As Ms Uryadova and Mr Akhvlediani pointed out -- united, for once -- this conflict has affected athletes from both nations, some of whom have friends and relatives caught up in the conflict.

"It has been extremely hard for our team to compete here in Beijing because their minds have been on what is going on back home," said Akhvlediani. "It is far better to have contest in sport than anywhere else."

Only the bellicose and the overly nationalistic would disagree with that. Even so, it is probably best not to get too po-faced, especially in the context of beach volleyball, which is after all a contest featuring four women in bikinis (the maximum size of which is stipulated in the rules) slapping a bag of wind over a net on a court made from sand shipped in from the nearest beach.

It is hardly an original thought to say that a leisure activity such as beach volleyball does not deserve to be called a sport, far less to be included in the Olympics, but somehow its juxtaposition with the deadly business of war made its absurdities even more luminous.

That the cheerleaders and the brainless chatter of the MC are an insult to both women and the intelligence of those who bought tickets goes without saying. But what was to be made of the music choices blared out during the many pauses in this morning's play: Blitzkrieg Bop, by the Ramones? Burning Down The House, by Talking Heads? Sex Bomb, by Tom Jones? If there is a gold medal for crass insensitivity this week, then the rest of the field might as well pack their bags and go home.

As for the gold medal in the women's beach volleyball, it will not be going back to Russia with Uryadova and Shiryaeva. This morning's defeat was their third of the week and saw them eliminated from the tournament. Meanwhile, Chagas and Santanna, the No22 seeds in a field of 24, maintained their hopes of advancing to the knock-out stages. "It is important to show Georgia in a good light now," said Santanna after her victory over the Russians.

She could make a start on that by keeping her trap shut and sticking to the beach volleyball.

(Guardian Service)

Comment

Originally posted by irishguy28
                                  ^There is no way the Georgian president expected the US to intervene in South Ossetia.
                                  I know it sounds crazy, but he expected US help for sure. C'mon it was a suicide to invade South Ossetia and fight against Russia!

Comment

Originally posted by greek_boy
                                    Originally posted by irishguy28
                                    I know it sounds crazy, but he expected US help for sure. C'mon it was a suicide to invade South Ossetia and fight against Russia!
                                    Bottom line is, in the end, Russia is going to be condemned on an international scale if it continues its invasion into Georgia. Some are saying Putin wants control of the oil there so that he dictate to the Western World. If the US does intervene, then so will Britain, thats just the politics of things. I personally feel that Bush won't but someone needs to warn off Putin. Because on the grand scale of it all, America is still the most powerful nation in the world, and Bush needs to make a stand against Putin. I mean Sarkozy (France) has by acting as a peacekeeper and flying to Russia

Comment

Well the Pixie Army cannot do anything either,because there are Russian Pixies,Georgian Pixies,American Pixies,Irish Pixies,Chinese Pixies,Greek Pixies,Scottish Pixies,Polish Pixies,Australian Pixies,English Pixies,Portugese Pixies,Singapore Pixies,Norwegian Pixies,Libyan Pixies,Welsh Pixies,New Zealand Pixies,Croatian Pixies,Italian Pixies,Spanish Pixies etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc!

Cheers Cidermaster

PS Shame on the bad humans,the human Race could learn alot from the Pixies.

Thankfully there are more good people than bad,that gives all hope.

Comment

Originally posted by cidermaster
                                        Well the Pixie Army cannot do anything either,because there are Russian Pixies,Georgian Pixies,American Pixies,Irish Pixies,Chinese Pixies,Greek Pixies,Scottish Pixies,Polish Pixies,Australian Pixies,English Pixies,Portugese Pixies,Singapore Pixies,Norwegian Pixies,Libyan Pixies,Welsh Pixies,New Zealand Pixies,Croatian Pixies,Italian Pixies,Spanish Pixies etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc!

http://edition.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/europ ... index.html

Story Highlights

Russian military convoy moved deeper into Georgia :-?

Russia: Troops not heading for the Georgian capital, Tbilisi

Georgian president claims Russia is "rampaging" through Gori

Georgia, Russia accuse each other of violating cease-fire agreement

Great Peace will never come (even if the Georgian blind singer in the Eurovision Song contest was crying out that peace will come ..ironically!)

Comment

The USA will intervene shortly. I thought France's involvement would hold some swagger

Comment

Er greek_boy what i was trying to say(please remember i am insane)..........

Anyway what i was meaning is most people in the world from all countries do not want war or trouble,the same cannot be said of the minority,and the problem with that minority,is that too many have power.

Cheers Cidermaster

PS For those who know my Pixie history,what did you really expect!

Comment

i support Russia.

Georgia President is the problem.
                                              Blu Cantrell - "S.O.S." (Tell Me Where You At)

Comment

Er Breathe this is not a football match,surely support Russia is the wrong kind of reaction.

I support a peacefull settlement and i support that the good people of both countries will come out on top.

The only hope the human race has is with the good people of all countries.

But if it was a football match,then support who you want!

Cheers Cidermaster

Comment

Originally posted by cidermaster
                                                  Er Breathe this is not a football match,surely support Russia is the wrong kind of reaction.

I support a peacefull settlement and i support that the good people of both countries will come out on top.

lol you're right insane man but he implies that Georgia is the one to blame for this war so he/she "supports" the Russian side.

Anyway, thanks for explaining about Pixies

Comment

Working...
                                                  X