The UKMIX Members Photo Gallery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by irishguy28
    It's not an understatement to say your definition is totally wrong there, VE
    Good one.
    Drip-droppin way down low for All the Alejandros that have gone before.

Comment

It's not an understatement to say your definition is totally wrong there, VE

This must be getting especially tricky for the ESL people on here.
      Come Play: GUESS THE VIDEO!

Comment

• What do you mean "ESL" ? I know that as Electronic Sports League, but it doesn't make sense here.

Comment

• Originally posted by VanityEgo
          Originally posted by JimJim
          ^ That's correct

Vanity's is more of an example of an 'understatement'.

(By the way, welcome to UKMix English lessons everyone!)
          Really ? I always thought an understatement was something like "Leave, I don't hate you"
          No that's paradox/oxymoron, or just being bloody confusing

My brain hurts from looking at all the usage of the phrase "an euphemism" :(
          I sing for the things money can't buy me.

Comment

What do you mean "ESL" ? I know that as Electronic Sports League, but it doesn't make sense here.
            Jim means ESOL - English Speakers of Other Languages.

Comment

• An oxymoron is associating two opposite words in order to make one of them stronger, like a "Beautiful Disaster".

Comment

• Wikipedia people! ;)

"ESL (English as a second language), ESOL (English for speakers of other languages), and EFL (English as a foreign language) all refer to the use or study of English by speakers with a different native language."

Comment

• I should've googled it, but I'd never use Wikipedia (again).

Anyway, as an ESL person, I have to say it is getting confusing.

Comment

An oxymoron is associating two opposite words in order to make one of them stronger, like a "Beautiful Disaster".
                    Then your phrase is sarcasm then!

Comment

• Originally posted by theberen
                      Originally posted by VanityEgo
                      Really ? I always thought an understatement was something like "Leave, I don't hate you"
                      I'd just say it was being passive-aggressive

Comment

• Foxymoron is actually =

Johnny wanted cream buns for his birthday tea...

Comment

• Skelo wins

Comment

• Originally posted by JimJim
                            Originally posted by theberen
                            I'd just say it was being passive-aggressive
                            V good point.

Comment

• Originally posted by Skelofect
                              Foxymoron is actually =
                              No, I believe the technical term is hornbag

Comment

Skelo wins
                                Did I speak too soon?

Comment

• No, Jim:

Originally posted by irishguy28
                                  Originally posted by Skelofect
                                  Foxymoron is actually =
                                  No, I believe the technical term is hornbag
                                  You never admitted you were in an episode:

Johnny wanted cream buns for his birthday tea...

Comment

An oxymoron is associating two opposite words in order to make one of them stronger, like a "Beautiful Disaster".
                                    A sarcasm can be made with the use of irony, oxymorons, understatements, etc.

Comment

• Saying 'a sarcasm' is a grammatical issue within it's self

Comment

• I was proper gonna slate VanityEgo's education for a minute there but then I saw he's not British so I'll let him off

I've only really known euphemisms in a smutty nature such as "I asked her back to mine for coffee but she said no as she had the decorators in".

Comment

Originally posted by theberen
                                          A sarcasm can be made with the use of irony, oxymorons, understatements, etc.
                                          So we've established that sarcasm is the phrase that encompasses all of your posts on this page & the last?

Comment

• Originally posted by Skelofect
                                            You never admitted you were in an episode:
                                            Are you implying I look like an Ozzie bikie???

[set faces to stunned]

^Me, hard at work, back in my Australia days. Sigh. Good times...

Comment

Saying 'a sarcasm' is a grammatical issue within it's self
                                              ...as is the use of the apostrophe, and the splitting of a single word into two, in your rendering "it's self" :x

Comment

...as is the use of the apostrophe, and the splitting of a single word into two, in your rendering "it's self" :x
                                                As is the use of starting a sentence with '...' & then not starting 'as' with a capital 'a' & finally not ending the sentence with a full stop. :x :x :x

Comment

Originally posted by irishguy28
                                                  As is the use of starting a sentence with '...' & then not starting 'as' with a capital 'a' & finally not ending the sentence with a full stop. :x :x :x
                                                  Hey guys wouldn't it be great to create an "english grammar" thread???
                                                  And I'm crazy, all day, all night
                                                  Who needs a degree when you're schoolin' life?

Comment

• the "..." indicated a pause after Jim Jim's unfinished sentence (he did not use a full stop).

I hit the " :x " by accident in place of a full stop :x :x :x

Oops...I think I did it again.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X