Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The things that you realize with time...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The things that you realize with time...

Mine are =

Everyone wants to be interesting, very few people actually are, mostly because everyone tries to be interesting too hard, and spends too little time doing interesting things.

Most people are very afraid of being perceived as strange or different, because the 1st initial reaction to "different" is aggressivity (its natural). However, most people want to be seen as slightly crazy. Except when you're really crazy, you don't know you are.

A lot of people are embarassed of their music selection. What they don't realize is, most people do like Britney Spears and Rihanna.

A lot of people are impressed by celebrities. What they don't realize is, they're just like us, not even that much better.

A lot of people think they are being sarcastic-funny, or just super smart - but really they're just stupid, and insecure.

So! what are yours??

mucho cynicism!

Comment

Originally posted by irishguy28
      mucho cynicism!
      No no!! Come on, share me with your insights on life! I want to know!!

Comment

That you shouldn't go out looking for love, if you do, you'll end up tricking yourself that someone is right for you.

That your finest moments are times when you don't realise you're doing anything special, when you're just being yourself, is when you're at your best.

That its better to be imperfect than perfect.

Comment

i hate it when they say "i don't have any regrets...if i could turn back time i would do everything again" >>>>BS!!! i find that so annoyingly pretentious...i hate it when people want to come across as strong, confident, totally satisfied and proud individuals. i hate proud!!!!

Comment

Re: The things that you realize with time...

Originally posted by Gabriel_Yes
            Mine are =

Everyone wants to be interesting, very few people actually are, mostly because everyone tries to be interesting too hard, and spends too little time doing interesting things.

Most people are very afraid of being perceived as strange or different, because the 1st initial reaction to "different" is aggressivity (its natural). However, most people want to be seen as slightly crazy. Except when you're really crazy, you don't know you are.
            Liked the topic...and those are what i exactly think!

one more thing i want to end is: everbody (including me) in one way or another thinks they are superior to others..i've met enough people that even when they say ok you are right bla bla bla they think they are right&better&more important than other beings...thats what i found very confusing at first but it is easier to live with knowing this

Comment

If you're over 35, keep your arms down. TAO
              Johnny wanted cream buns for his birthday tea...

Comment

Originally posted by flowers
                i hate it when they say "i don't have any regrets...if i could turn back time i would do everything again" >>>>BS!!! i find that so annoyingly pretentious...i hate it when people want to come across as strong, confident, totally satisfied and proud individuals. i hate proud!!!!
                Our past makes us who we are doesn't it? I don't think it's about being proud...I think it's about knowing what you did in order to get to where you are at present.
                BEE4EVER’S WEEKLY TOP 20 (#1 Lady GaGa)

Comment

What they don't realize is, most people do like Britney Spears and Rihanna.
                  Yes, but some only like Britney and Rihanna, that's the problem. Choices are a matter of taste, of course, but I would not be interested in a person that only likes the above artists, spends all their evenings watching Big Brother and the only thing they have read in years is OK Magazine (and by "interested" i don't mean dating, but even talking to them).
                  Let's have a second referendum

Comment

A lot of people are embarassed of their music selection.
                    This is so true! I definitely see this in myself and others, whenever someone asks you 'what kind of music do you like?' you are always afraid to say your real answer, through fear that they will ridicule you, also when people ask me that question, they usually like metal
                    Come Play: GUESS THE VIDEO!

Comment

i hate it when they say "i don't have any regrets...if i could turn back time i would do everything again"

>>>>BS!!! i find that so annoyingly pretentious...i hate it when people want to come across as strong, confident, totally satisfied and proud individuals. i hate proud!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Skelofect
                        If you're over 35, keep your arms down. TAO

Comment

that my mum was sometimes right
                          nekoo.cz - follow me

Comment

Originally posted by JimJim
                            A lot of people are embarassed of their music selection.
                            This is so true! I definitely see this in myself and others, whenever someone asks you 'what kind of music do you like?' you are always afraid to say your real answer, through fear that they will ridicule you, also when people ask me that question, they usually like metal
                            Lol...

I have a good friend who spent most of his youth in London, as a goth, and was a fixture on the goth scene (I hear that "Slimelight" is no more...shame).

Anyways, I was over with him one weekend, and we met up with some of his goth mates in a pub in Camden. I had been stupid enough to pop into a branch of Virgin (remember them?) shortly beforehand, and not to conceal the shocking red-and-yellow telltale carrier bag when we arrived at the pub.

So of course, during the first lull in the conversation, someone asked "so, what did you buy?". I thought that better than actually telling them, I should show them (I couldn't bring myself to speak).

I'd picked up a bunch of singles - I no longer remember what exactly they were. Except for one. "Ain't No Other Man" by Christina Aguilera.

The goths were mightily impressed!!!!

Comment

Oh that story just got more and more painful as it went on!

Comment

I have realized with time not to care what other people think of you.

Not everybody is going to like you, so forget about the people who don't like you and concentrate on the people who do. And never let any body's opinion get to you. Their opinion doesn't matter, Nobody has the right to judge you, especially since half the people who do barely even know you!

Comment

That people tease you bad things if you like Britney so much.

They always say that I'm too late in music since I like Britney so much. :( :( :( :(

BUT, do I CAREEEE!?

Comment

i think that you can only really rely on yourself.
                                    everyone is out for themselves.
                                    CALL ME CALICE, CALL ME COLD. YOU'RE ITALIC, I'M IN BOLD.

Comment

Lots of good examples in here.

A thing I learned is that almost everybody thinks of him-/herself as a good driver! Or at least better than every road user they encounter.

And I realized that in everyday life after a short amount of time people only remember moments of bad luck, but never acknowledge all those little moments when they were lucky.
                                      Also, they turn lucky little moments into "almost unlucky" ones... for example, if someone nearly gets run over by a car, they'll be angrily saying "I almost got run over today" instead of considering themselves lucky for not gotten run over.

I also found out that most people define themselves through the number of friends they have... while not realizing that 90 % of those aren't really true friends at all.

Also, no one ever admits to being prejudiced. If anything, they rather say something like "I don't have anything against [*enter group of people*], but most/some of them [*enter cliché*]".
                                      Everyone falls victim to prejudiced opinions in some way or another. Some more than others, but no one ever stands by that and says "I must admit I'm a little prejudiced towards [...]".

Also, a hard lesson I had to learn was that everyone says honesty is the most important thing, especially in relationships, but the truth is that people don't want honesty, unless it serves their purpose or strokes their egos.

Comment

Originally posted by Woaah
                                        I have realized with time not to care what other people think of you.

Not everybody is going to like you, so forget about the people who don't like you and concentrate on the people who do. And never let any body's opinion get to you. Their opinion doesn't matter, Nobody has the right to judge you, especially since half the people who do barely even know you!
                                        you are totally right!

Comment

Originally posted by pollei
                                          That people tease you bad things if you like Britney so much.
                                          On this matter, I always say...

There is no point in judging or ridiculing someone based on their musical taste, as there will be someone out there just as prepared to ridicule yours.

Originally posted by LittleLinda
                                          A thing I learned is that almost everybody thinks of him-/herself as a good driver! Or at least better than every road user they encounter."
                                          lol this reminds me of yr 12 graduation, my classmates voted me 'Best Driver', I have no idea how I won that [hmm... I might start a thread about that...]

Also, they turn lucky little moments into "almost unlucky" ones... for example, if someone nearly gets run over by a car, they'll be angrily saying "I almost got run over today" instead of considering themselves lucky for not gotten run over.
                                          Most insightful thing I've read so far! ...it's all about interpretations isn't it!

I also found out that most people define themselves through the number of friends they have... while not realizing that 90 % of those aren't really true friends at all.
                                          See: People who have 500+ friends on facebook

Comment

there was a time in my life where I dreaded the question "What music do you listen to?" - because I always felt people judged my level of coolness depending on that.

And then, with the help of some people, I got over it. Some people made me realize it was ok to like what you like. A good song is a good song, no matter who sings it.

So now, I always ask people "What music do you like?" - and before they get a chance to answer, I say "It could be anything, I mean... I love Lady Gaga and Britney Spears. It could also be a sound, I love the sound of the shower". And then I look at people visibly relax and tell me honestly what they like to hear.

The goths example is really funny! Sometimes it takes a lot of guts to go buy a Christina Aguilera CD!

Comment

Originally posted by UURhythm
                                              Mine are =

Liked the topic...and those are what i exactly think!

one more thing i want to end is: everbody (including me) in one way or another thinks they are superior to others..i've met enough people that even when they say ok you are right bla bla bla they think they are right&better&more important than other beings...thats what i found very confusing at first but it is easier to live with knowing this
                                              My god... that's so true.... scary true.....

Comment

This thread is quite good.

Everyone is looking for love. Not just love from other people but the ability to love things and to have things to love.

Everyone wants to be 'wanted'. If you make someone feel wanted they will have your respect and be your friend. I'm not saying use that to take advantage and not mean it, but realise recognising whatever it is in them that you like.

Most conversations are 'small talk' (how are you? how the weather? how was your lunch) and basically people refusing to use their brain and elaborate and talk and explore things.
                                                Johnny wanted cream buns for his birthday tea...

Comment

Everyone is looking for love. Not just love from other people but the ability to love things and to have things to love.
                                                  That's very true! I met this guy on a plane, he was a photographer and made a living as such in NYC. So I asked him "woah isn't it crazy competitive in NY?" - and he said "yes, but usually there is no competition for people's love. People are always willing to love what you do, if you sell them a story, if you make it easy for them to. You'd be surprised by how much people want to help in those cases"

which I guess goes to say that we just all need to believe in some things, love some things.

Someone page VVBrown and explain that to her? That she should stop trying so hard ?

Comment

Working...
                                                  X