No announcement yet.

What is the Last Thing You Bought?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh, yeah, he is always misunderstood, poor Timmy!

Comment

• Since y'all talking about writing, controlling the tone of your writing is also a skill you need to master so you wouldn't be misunderstood--brush that up, Timmy. It's an important skill that you need to learn especially if you're going to work in a corporate world and deal with clients and bosses via chat, email, etc.

Comment

• Jesus Christ Timmy. You must get beaten up regularly. Do you even has a heart?
        #Pray4AL6

Comment

• This:

It's the Blu-Ray documentary and matches of the group my obsession Dean Ambrose used to be in, The Shield. I've been waiting for this Blu-Ray to come out in NZ for months now, so I was super excited to get it today

I also got the Royal Rumble 2015 on Blu-Ray, and WWE Kids Magazine cos it had a Dean poster in it Anything with him in it I have to have...
          I've now met Dean Ambrose FOUR TIMES - 28/03/15, 02/04/16, 20/08/16 & 01/04/17!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Alicepotter
            And I don't think a person saying that your english is an eye cancer is a good incentive.
            Don't make a big deal out of it. It's like saying that something is a negative eyecatcher, an example "Mariah Carey's new dress causes eye cancer", which means that it doesn't look good on her. It's not meant to be taken too seriously.

Originally posted by hotMCfan
            Since y'all talking about writing, controlling the tone of your writing is also a skill you need to master so you wouldn't be misunderstood--brush that up, Timmy. It's an important skill that you need to learn especially if you're going to work in a corporate world and deal with clients and bosses via chat, email, etc.
            The thing is that I tried to say it in a nice and reluctant way, that the English of some people on here is not that fine, but no one felt addressed apparently. That's why I felt the need to drop some names. I don't want to label people, but maybe give them some advice because if you write stuff like "You has" on a regular basis, it really seems like you couldn't care less.

Originally posted by MrRager
            Jesus Christ Timmy. You must get beaten up regularly. Do you even has a heart?
            Didn't I tell you ? I indeed wasn't born with a heart, I'm a medical phenomenon!

Originally posted by Airwrecka
            Originally posted by Timmy94
            Originally posted by Chun
            Originally posted by Alicepotter
            You has red hair?
            OMG, only people with ginger hair use red shower gel !

OT, but I really wonder about how Alicepotter learned English. I mean, basically one of the first grammar units in the English classes during early middle school is on simple present and how it's built. And "you has" pretty much looks like eye cancer, to be honest .
            Eek. Timmy, I think you need to realise that this comment can be discouraging to others who are trying to communicate in a second language. Germany are very focused on learning English from a very young age, but that isn't the case everywhere. Additionally, it is naturally easier for some posters than others. We are all good at different things, and languages can come far easier to those who work well with words (Serby for example). To those who are good with numbers, or with their hands, languages can sometimes be much harder to master. Also, you come at English from a Germanic background. The patterns of grammar between English and German are very different to those between Spanish, or Portuguese for example. So for someone who is more used to the structure of Romance languages, their way to grasp English grammar can be different. As you know, I'm learning Spanish at the moment, and I find some of their grammar very strange compared to English. Yet when I learned German, it was totally different (and I'd say far more precise and rigid, personally). Mixing subjects and verb conjugations is extremely common for new speakers. I do it all of the time in Spanish. I know you didn't mean to be deliberately offensive, but "eye cancer" can be very crushing to someone who is working so hard to master a new language.
            I as ongoing teacher for a foreign language know that learning a foreign language can be tough. Many users on here speak a great English, that's why I believe that those who don't stand out even more. What matters is that you're willing to learn the language and you certainly don't need to speak the language perfectly. I speak the language on an advanced level and even I do mistakes by times. It rather effects elementary mistakes, things you should usually learn during the first few years, such as irregular verbs, the main tenses or that you don't say something like "even worst". Sorry, but for a person that likes the English language, it simply sounds atrocious to read it .
            Je n'ai qu'une philosophie: Être acceptée comme je suis. Malgré tout ce qu'on me dit, je reste le poing levé.

Say no to streaming!

Comment

• Originally posted by Timmy94
              The thing is that I tried to say it in a nice and reluctant way, that the English of some people on here is not that fine, but no one felt addressed apparently. That's why I felt the need to drop some names.
              why should anyone feel adressed, it's an online forum. as long as his english is understandable, no one cares I mean sure I also notice the mistakes just like I do in real life when someone speaks a ''lesser english'' but idgaf, I'm sure alice is better at some stuff than you or I or anyone else. like stanning for Meghan Trainor, he beats everyone on the forum in this aspect......
              last.fm

Comment

• But Timmy, the reply you just posted contains several mistakes at least, yet I'm not sitting here with a red marker pen circling them, am I?

Many users on here speak a great English, that's why I believe that those who don't stand out even more
                Referring to those with less experience of the English language in this way is really mean, even if you don't mean it to be. If I was a non-native speaker on a forum and someone singled me out in this way, I probably wouldn't bother to post again. It would totally knock my confidence to be perfectly honest.

The thing is that I tried to say it in a nice and reluctant way, that the English of some people on here is not that fine, but no one felt addressed apparently. That's why I felt the need to drop some names.
                This is just wrong. You shouldn't be targeting people like this. How would you feel if I started dropping hints around the forum about what I perceive to be your personal weaknesses? And then maybe I could reinforce them by naming you personally, just so that everyone is in no doubt? Of course, I wouldn't do this because I wouldn't remotely enjoy targeting people in this way. So what's your reason? If this was a forum dedicated to the academic discussion of English Grammar and Lexicology, then fine. But it isn't.

Timmy, you know I like you; but you're coming across rather unpleasant here. Please think before you post.

Disclaimer: I do not profess to be an English grammar expert, so no need to highlight any mistakes I've made.

Comment

• @Airwrecka: Well, let me give you an example: In my early days on UKMix, I used to write "definately" because I thought it was the correct way to write that word. It took a while until someone told me about its correct spelling. It's much better to tell people about their mistakes right from the start instead of leaving them in delusion. Keep in mind that people are willing to correct their mistakes as long as they are aware of them! So if there are mistakes I regularly make, please tell me about them and I'll clean them.
                  In this context, I'm only talking about elementary grammatical issues, advanced grammar... Well, theose type of mistakes are OK if within range, most of us are L2 speakers anyway. What matters when learning a foreign language is that you learn how the language is structured since every language works in its own way. For example, an English sentence isn't equal to a German sentence with each word translated to English, I guess that would be pretty messy .
                  And it of course matters that there's some kind of progress regarding your grammatical abilities: Making mistakes is totally fine and human, but you should learn from them and try to improve in some way instead of keeping your level!
                  Je n'ai qu'une philosophie: Être acceptée comme je suis. Malgré tout ce qu'on me dit, je reste le poing levé.

Say no to streaming!

Comment

• You have to udnerstand that in some countries, English as a second language is nowhere to be heard. Like, most of the country's population are monoglots. Neighbouring Poland (afaik), Hunagry (infamous for their monoglotism), Italy etc.
                    be kind to every kind (also the unkind kind!!!!! )

Comment

• Timmy you're overdoing it as usual... I mean, come on.

Who gives a damn about it? As long as we all understand each other... The rest isn't important. This is a damn forum, not a strict grammar board. We all are enjoying each other with discussions etc. No need to be like that. You can have your opinion about it (Which makes no sense at all, I'm going to be direct with you with this one), but when will you get it, that you're in the wrong at times too? Especially now. Get over it already.

Obviously we all should improve with our languages and so on. But Alice isn't here to improve his English skills. He's here to discuss with us about music and other things. It's not top priority. You should finally understand that. And imo, Alice's English skills improved so much since day 1. I remember the days his sentences were a bit... Yeah more cray. Now he's perfectly understandable to me. So why don't you just leave it there...

Edit: It's straight rude to point out people who aren't as good as others in English. Thats not your job. It's not anyones job. You're actually attacking him a bit personally. But I guess you won't get it...

Comment

• smh @Timmy

Comment

• What is that, Rihab? It looks very cool, but I have no idea what it is.

Comment

• Yeah I was about to say, can we get this back on topic please? It's not an English language debating topic :-?
                            I've now met Dean Ambrose FOUR TIMES - 28/03/15, 02/04/16, 20/08/16 & 01/04/17!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Airwrecka
                              What is that, Rihab? It looks very cool, but I have no idea what it is.
                              It's a lamp which colors your room basically. Looks amazing on white walls.

Comment

• i thought it was a blender at first

Comment

• Originally posted by toni_pest
                                  i thought it was a blender at first
                                  funnily enough, I also thought it was a kitchen bowl or something when I first saw one

Comment

• Haha, I also thought it was some kind of ultra-modern blender.

Edit: Just watched the video. OMG I WANT ONE!!!!!!!!! I'm guessing they're super expensive, right?

Comment

• Originally posted by Airwrecka
                                      Haha, I also thought it was some kind of ultra-modern blender.

Edit: Just watched the video. OMG I WANT ONE!!!!!!!!! I'm guessing they're super expensive, right?
                                      Crazy expensive. I got mine for just under 60€ from Amazon last week. I think there are smaller versions of the lamp which are (slightly) cheaper, but their colors are noticeably less intense than the big one's ('Iris').

Comment

• Originally posted by Shorty
                                        Yeah I was about to say, can we get this back on topic please? It's not an English language debating topic :-?
                                        Surely it's not a big problem that we're a bit OT?

Rihab, I thought it was some kind of shade on Timmy or 'apply cold water to burn area', it looks liek water and idk what.

Comment

• like water? EDIT: oh, you're talking about the shaker

Comment

• it looks like a stream of water!

Comment

• Originally posted by Rihab95
                                              Originally posted by Airwrecka
                                              Haha, I also thought it was some kind of ultra-modern blender.

Crazy expensive. I got mine for just under 60€ from Amazon last week. I think there are smaller versions of the lamp which are (slightly) cheaper, but their colors are noticeably less intense than the big one's ('Iris').
                                              I've been researching online. There's so many models lol. It's expensive, but not as bad as I thought tbh. I'm tempted to get one, but I'd need a small one.

Originally posted by Rihab95
                                              like water? EDIT: oh, you're talking about the shaker
                                              I originally thought the iris was the lid to the shaker above. That's why I was thinking it was some kind of blender.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shorty
                                                Yeah I was about to say, can we get this back on topic please? It's not an English language debating topic :-?
                                                God forbid people have a bit of discussion

Comment

• The problem with Timmy is that he likes correcting others. But if people correct him or challenge his faulty opinions he never concedes. Smh.

Comment

• Originally posted by hotMCfan
                                                    The problem with Timmy is that he likes correcting others. But if people correct him or challenge his faulty opinions he never concedes. Smh.
                                                    Well, at first, I indeed like spotting mistakes, not just when it comes to people, but also in magazines etc. But if I judge other people, I still try to stay as constructive (and polite) as possible. So it's OK to say something like "Imo, that shirt doesn't suit you", but not criticizing someone for that person's height - I mean, what could that person change about it, right ?
                                                    You might thing of that eye cancer thing, but in German, it's a totally random thing to say, like saying that Christina Aguilera's dress doesn't suit her at all. It's no big deal and probably already forgotten 5 minutes later. And even then, it wasn't even about AlicePotter, but that expression that simply looked weird for a person with advanced English knowledge.

Well, it's OK if people correct me as long as it's just as constructive/fair, but then again, I also have to judge whether I consider that correction useful or not. And if that's the case, why shouldn't I concede ?

It's not the worst characteristic for my future job though, is it ?

Say no to streaming!

Comment

Working...
                                                    X