No announcement yet.

Tips to Lose Weight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I lost about 2 stone earlier this year. Like you, I was always slim, then met my now ex-boyfriend, felt like I didn;t have to make an effort anymore and ate loads! I lost it all before we went on holiday, thank goodness, at least I'm not still chubby now I'm single!!

Something I found really effective is I stopped eating protein and carbs together. I'd have carbs at lunch (usually pasta, a salad + a piece of bread or soup) and then meat/fish with vegetables for dinner. You start feeling less bloated instantly and it automatically reduces your meal sizes too.

That plus I was running/in the gym 5 times a week. There's no 2 ways around it, you have to be very strict with yourself. Without that motivation and discipline you won't get long-term results.

Good luck!!

Comment

Dance in front of the mirror Copy your fave's dance steps in front of the mirror and just get crazy... dance "not Myself tonight" or the PCD's "Don't cha"

Comment

great topic, i'm joining you...this 3+4Q were so damn bad with a couple of bad news that bumped my weight up. And as the weather "striked" i'm gonna be unable to run and ride a bike, my top fav sport. I gotta work out more and slash dramatically food portion and avoid carbs and candy in general.
        I wanna my slender body back too!!

Comment

Low-carbohydrate, high-protein, high-fat diets

High-protein, high-fat diets are based on the idea that carbohydrate, such as pasta, bread, rice, cereal, fruits, and vegetables, make people gain weight. These diets are very low in fiber foods that lower the risks of cancer and heart disease. The Atkins diet is an example of this type of diet.

The appeal of low-carbohydrate diets, such as the Atkins diet, is rapid weight loss in the first few days. If you restrict carbohydrate in your diet to the extent that carbohydrate stores (glycogen) are depleted, you will lose water weight. In effect, you become dehydrated. Almost all of the rapid weight loss is from water loss. Once you add carbohydrate back into your diet, your body will store glycogen again and retain the water that goes with it.

Over the long term, low-carbohydrate diets cause more gradual weight loss because the food restriction results in calorie restriction. The problem with a diet low in carbohydrate is that it is usually very high in fat. A high-fat diet may increase your risk of heart disease, stroke, cancer, and high blood pressure. It is still possible to eat enough calories on this diet to gain weight, since fat is a concentrated source of energy.

Source:www.ivillage.com

Comment

Originally posted by DaBoi
            To keep it short i'd say running + a healthy diet (avoid carbs in the evening)
            I think people who want to lose weight should train more rather than just starve themselves.
            Honestly, run, run, run! And yes, try and cut out carbs for about 2 weeks (take lots of protein in). But run run run!!! Thats best to work up a sweat!!!
            | Ciara | Beyoncé | Janet | Toni | Kelly R | Leona | Tinashe | Whitney | Brandy | Monica | Tevin | Mariah | Britney | Tamia |

Comment

Originally posted by jpguy
              Dance in front of the mirror Copy your fave's dance steps in front of the mirror and just get crazy... dance "not Myself tonight" or the PCD's "Don't cha"
              Yes. Its also fun. Not as effective but every little counts!
              | Ciara | Beyoncé | Janet | Toni | Kelly R | Leona | Tinashe | Whitney | Brandy | Monica | Tevin | Mariah | Britney | Tamia |

Comment

Oh, and drink lots of water (max 2 litres a day though). Any more and you start flushing out nutrients in your system!

Comment

Originally posted by firefly_86

Something I found really effective is I stopped eating protein and carbs together. I'd have carbs at lunch (usually pasta, a salad + a piece of bread or soup) and then meat/fish with vegetables for dinner. You start feeling less bloated instantly and it automatically reduces your meal sizes too.
                  That seems like sensible advice to me. Carbs in the evening can be my downfall - I do love my hot pasta dishes. I usually have a salad for lunch, but I may start switching that around and having more meat and veg at night, with something heartier like pasta in the day.
                  Life is beautiful around the world

Comment

Originally posted by preyan
                    I think people who want to lose weight should train more rather than just starve themselves.
                    Honestly, run, run, run! And yes, try and cut out carbs for about 2 weeks (take lots of protein in). But run run run!!! Thats best to work up a sweat!!!
                    Instead of running you can start walking. Just put some music on and walk every single day. And each week more and more time.

Add some control on the diet, and in a month you´ll see the result.

Comment

You're talking about something like the Atkins Diet? :-? I think that's not interesting,because I wanna a stable lose of weight and avoiding the waste of muscle mass (this is one of the worst damages of any diet).

Running causes much more a notable lost of muscle mass than walking,despite of the highest waste of calories.

Comment

Originally posted by Brazilian
                        You're talking about something like the Atkins Diet? :-? I think that's not interesting,because I wanna a stable lose of weight and avoiding the waste of muscle mass (this is one of the worst damages of any diet).

Running causes much more a notable lost of muscle mass than walking,despite of the highest waste of calories.
                        The problem where most people go wrong is what you have indicated. Once you start exercising, it must become a way of life. Not everyday but a few times a week. You can't just exercise (like run), lose weight... and then stop and expect to stay that way!?! As we get older, our metabolism slows down, and thats all the more reason to start keeping exercise as part of an (almost) daily routine.

And this topic just said "lose weight". Mine is based on that. It does not mention anything about bulking up and/or toning

Comment

Originally posted by jonasmileynlt
                          Originally posted by Juancito75
                          Please explain for people like me that don't speak proper english what "sit ups" means.
                          I haven't found out till now that you answered me. Thanks a lot and also to Irishguy. Something that works for me when I want to lose weight is reduce dinner to a minimun, you really don't need it unless you're about to enjoy a nice & long night . Otherwise all those calories are within you while you're sleeping and after you wake up in the morning you eat again for breakfast so you end up gaining weight. In the case of those who had gained the bad habit to eat because of anxiety, chewing gum without sugar and exercise really works!.

Comment

Stop shovelling food in your gob and get up off your backside more regularly

Seriously though I find it takes a LOT of willpower but the combination of a better diet (cut out junk), eating less or not eating when you're not hungry (a lot of eating is just habit or boredom) and 30-60 minutes of exercise per day works great for me. I always allow myself a treat each week too, like a big night out followed by a pizza or a big bar of chocolate at the weekend that way it doesn't become depressing.

Comment

I did Body For Life 3 year ago and in a nutshell:

1. Eat 6 meals a day, every 2 hours (breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, supper, snack),. Snacks can be yoghurt, protein candy bar, etc.
                              2. Exercise 4-6 time a week
                              3. Take 1 day off a week to eat whatever you want. Its kinda like a gift to yourself for being so diligent for the past week. Seriously, eat anything and as much as you like on that 1 day
                              4. Training should ideally be something like this
                              - Day 1 - Upper Body (45mins - 1hr)
                              - Day 2 - Cardio (20 mins) - running, swimming
                              - Day 3 - Lower Body (45mins - 1hr)
                              - Day 4 - Repeat Day 2
                              - Day 5 - Repeat Day 1
                              - Day 6 - Repeat Day 2
                              - Day 7 - DAY OFF - eat and drink whatever you like
                              5. On training days, drink 1.5 - 2 litres of water

I assure you; 3 years ago, I was never the sporty type. After doing body for life, I thrive on running, swimming, surfing, hiking!!! It has become a natural way of life!

Oh, and you are human and expected to have the odd day and week where you are not in the mood
                              But remember, its mind over matter!!!

Feel free to PM me about an eating plan that body for life suggests! (Protiens, Carbs and Veggies). If you want to lose weight, you might want to cut out on the carbs!

Comment

remember, its mind over matter!!!

Loved this!, thanks for the info as well. Some people are really selfish and don't like to share with others, specially if they paid for it.

Comment

just been reading through all this and theres some good tips! my problem is just doing that first step to get me going, it seems all like one big up hill struggle. I've tried eating good for the past few weeks but things what i think are healthy, turn out to be full of calories so ive no idea what to eat and what not!

A lot of people tell me to have soups, that sorta thing but i hate soup ive yet to come across a flavour i like!
                                  http://www.ukmix.org/forums/viewtopic.p ... 696#548696

my ultimate chart

Comment

Originally posted by Juancito75
                                    remember, its mind over matter!!!
                                    Damn right, your mind is your best friend/biggest enemy when it comes to weight loss or weight gain.

There isn't a single exercise or piece of exercise equipment that doesn't benefit your body and everybody has the basic understanding of eating salad vs. KFC... the best advice I could give anyone before starting any new regime or diet is to first establish what you hope to achieve and make all your food decisions when you're in a healthy mental state as opposed to a negative one. Discipline and commitment is key but after a while its easy to 'everyday' healthier food choices.

That said, having KFC every few months is not the end of the world and people often punish themselves for the occasional indulgence by overworking or undereating (or feeling like a complete failure, give up on healthy altogether) and this is straight up not good for you.

On a related a note, a dude I once knew who was Ryan Reynolds-ish with his torso and stuff used to brag about his body... and told me he doesn't eat. Like ever. His entire diet was made up of protein shakes. I mean seriously people, WTF? Eating is normal, and shouldnt ever be de-normalised.

Err yeh, rant over.
                                    Addict. Advocate. Author. Artist.
                                    My journey of R&B, addiction and superheroes....
                                    www.rawirijames.com
                                    #LostBoy album and novel OUT NOW!

Comment

That Body for life thing looks really interesting, I'm joining a gym Monday - I don't want to bulk up at all - just loose weight from my stomach, legs and moobs - any tips?! My diet is pretty poor also, I'm slowly cutting down on the crap to get me started and I don't think I'm gonna take it too seriously, I just wanna lose the weight I've put on, but any tips as to how to lose weight on these areas as well as what foods to eat/avoid would be appreciated.
                                      MadeOfBricks Chart of All Time.

Comment

Originally posted by Mooriah
                                        Originally posted by robert989
                                        what is this can you give an example of exercises that are combined ?
                                        The easiest one would be sprint exercise.

In layment terms, when you start out you can try;

> 12-15 seconds running as fast as possible
                                        > slow jog for 36-45 seconds
                                        do this outside (really hard to do it on a treadmill) and repeat 10-12 times (when I first started out I can only do like 6-8 times)

basically the sprint:slow jog ratio is 1:3 and when you are become more athletic, you can try to do 1:2.

You should feel like you want to puke at the end of the exercise (like you really can't take it anymore).

And by 'running as fast as possible' it means mantaining 60-70% of your maximum heart rate (but I never wear any heart monitor.. I just sprint like mad as if there are 42 dogs chasing me!)
                                        Lampposts.

That's what I used.

Alternating between sprinting and slow jog between lampposts. Even better when you get somebody going with you and you can race them in the sprints.

Can't do so much of that these days. A couple of injurys have left me with a knee held together with steal bolts and rubber bands (literally). These days I just watch a movie on a cross trainer every other night.
                                        101 Albums | 501 Songs

Comment

Originally posted by MadeOfBricks
                                          That Body for life thing looks really interesting, I'm joining a gym Monday - I don't want to bulk up at all - just loose weight from my stomach, legs and moobs - any tips?! My diet is pretty poor also, I'm slowly cutting down on the crap to get me started and I don't think I'm gonna take it too seriously, I just wanna lose the weight I've put on, but any tips as to how to lose weight on these areas as well as what foods to eat/avoid would be appreciated.
                                          I did a nutrition course a little while back and one of the best things to look out for in a food is it's Glycaemic Index (GI). Generally speaking foods with a low GI index are digested more slowly and help you feel full for longer.

GI foods

Porridge is one of the health foods of all. I mix it up in a blender with milk and frozen strawberries every morning.

+

+

+

=

101 Albums | 501 Songs

Comment

bellydancing, started copying shakira off her youtube vids just for fun, now i got some sexy smooth stomach area. not ripped though just sexily smooth :p

Comment

Originally posted by ShayLaB
                                              These days I just watch a movie on a cross trainer every other night.
                                              This is one thing I like to do cos I generally find exercising a bit boring and a lot of the time music keeps me going but sometimes when I run out of song choices I go on the treadmill in our garage an watch a film on my laptop - makes the time pass much quicker and keeps me on there for longer.

I also think dancing is a great exercise, I try and dance loads when I'm having loads to drink to try and cancel out some of the calories

Martin I refuse to believe you have moobs, you were like a skinny little emo the last photos I saw of you!

Comment

Yea I'm not fat or anything, I've just put weight on in those areas that I wanna lose!
                                                MadeOfBricks Chart of All Time.

Comment

don't eat anything, then you will alot of weight.
                                                  Britney spears - The Karate Kid

Comment

I just started doing this
                                                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3vLZqPZxZE
                                                    actually i started practicing yoga yesterday dont know what effects will bring i hope ill manage to loose 3-4 kilos this two weeks i am not fat but i want to loose 5 kilos cause if i continue like this soon i will be FAT :( :x

Comment

Working...
                                                    X