No announcement yet.

What Are You Currently Reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't really have the time to read a book at the moment with my exam coming up, but I am in the middle of 'A Short History Of Nearly Everything' by one of my favourite authors Bill Bryson.

Comment

• I love that book! Bill Bryson is legend.
      tell the others you've gone to sea...

Comment

• ^^^ Me too. I love the way he makes "learning" interesting.
        "I want a man who's kind and understanding. Is that too much to ask of a millionaire?"

Comment

• Harry Potter and the philosopher's stone
          ~Gaga~~~Xtina~~~P!nk~~~Dido~~~Shakira~~~Beyonce~~~Gwen Stefani~~

Comment

• Just finished "Devil May Care" by Sebastian Faulks as Ian Fleming. Good book!

Comment

• He's finally made a come back. I'm now offically a semi-professional comedian. http://forums.chortle.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=35879.

Comment

• I just finished Good in Bed and Teri Hatcher's Burnt Toast

Now I'm reading Everyone worth knowing by Lauren Weisberger

My to read list:
                - Girls of riyadh
                - Breakfast At tiffany's
                - Sex and the city
                - Lipstick jungle
                - Can you keep a secret?
                - Dear diary
                I'm the terminator, bitch talk slick, I'm a have to terminate her \_(?)_/

Comment

• Everyone Im going to tell you to read a book and if you dont like it I wont ever come to UKMix EVER again!

Its called Twilight By stephanie Meyer
                  It is more addictive then crack@

Comment

• The Sexual Life of Catherine M

Which is an autobiographical account of the sexual life of the author...she basically participates in group sex and with countless men.

It's a real eye opener to the attitudes of sex and I'm enjoying how she explains the way this lifestyle has come about...and how I never once think of her a slut...it's really thought provoking.
                    Johnny wanted cream buns for his birthday tea...

Comment

• Just finished this and it's completely heartbreaking.
                      You said turn around so I cannot see your tears falling...

Comment

• It's a very emotional story...

Comment

• Currently reading:

So far so brilliant!

Comment

• I am currently reading Arthur The Blue Bear.

Cheers Cidermaster
                            You can never have enough luxury lemon drizzle cake

Comment

• Im reading The Raw Shark Texts by Steven Hall
                              You say that I must eat so many lemons, cos I am so Bitt-er

Comment

• Originally posted by child_destinys

Just finished this and it's completely heartbreaking.
                                I enjoyed it but it found it...somewhat improbable.

Here's how it fared in the Guardian's digested read:

Code:
                                They were young, educated, and both virgins on this, their wedding night. As they sat down to dinner in the honeymoon suite of the Dorset hotel, Edward was mesmerised by the prospect of <censored - this is a kid's site!> of this formidably intelligent woman. All that troubled him was the worry of over-excitement.
                                Florence's anxieties were more serious. She loved Edward with a passion but had no desire to <censored - this is a kid's site!>. She had read the references to <censored - this is a kid's site!>in the modern bride's handbook and felt nothing but a visceral dread.

"I love you," they said to one another for the hundredth time that day. And they truly meant it. Edward had a first-class degree in history but, on this July day in 1962, he doubted if any other man had ever been as happy. He looked at her long pizzicato fingers and felt <censored - this is a kid's site!> as if his trousers had shrunk. Would she take the lead, as first violinists often will? He remembered too well her revulsion <censored - this is a kid's site!> at the cinema and how it had set their physical congress back by many months.
                                Edward had prepared for this day by <censored - this is a kid's site!> for a week and when she suggested lying on the bed he felt all those unimportant details, such as Harold Macmillan and H-bombs that had only been included to provide a veneer of context, race from his mind. Florence reminded herself how much she loved him as Edward's tongue parted her lips and greedily explored her larynx.

They had known each other all their lives - he from the squalor of his family hovel and she from the palatial splendour of her mansion - but they had only got together by chance at a CND meeting. He had marvelled at her musicianship and longed <censored - this is a kid's site!>. She had thought him a good egg and the ideal husband.

He tugged clumsily at her zip and she froze as his hands <censored - this is a kid's site!>. She broke away. "I'm a little scared," she said. Edward restrained his annoyance and comforted her <censored - this is a kid's site!>. She knew she had done something wrong, yet she could not conceal her disgust and she ran out the room, heading outdoors to the Chesil beach.

He found her two miles along the deserted shingle.

"You are disgusting," she said.

"You are frigid," he replied icily.

They both knew there was something they should say to make matters better but neither could find the words.

"Maybe we could remain in a sexless marriage," she mouthed in a gesture of conciliation, "and you could occasionally get your needs met by other women."

"It's over," he gasped.

"Don't you think we're being rather melodramatic and that even in 1962 a couple might get over a crap shag on their wedding night?" she cried.

"Of course, but if we don't split up, the whole book's pointless."

She ran off down the beach and into a waiting taxi.

Edward returned the wedding presents and moved on to a life of inconsequential journalism punctuated by inconsequential affairs. Yet he never loved any woman as much as Florence again. She gave herself to her music and wondered if Edward would ever know that if he had but called her back that day, she would have melted into his arms for ever.
                                The digested read, digested: One messy outburst and it's all over.

Comment

• I'm around half way through, and I love it! It's probably one of the greatest History novels I've ever read. I love History, and am just simply fascinated by World War II, so the fact that it goes into so much detail about the rise of The Nazis is just so interesting to me. It's a great historical account, packed with quotes, non-fiction and lots of detailed stories of the concentration camps. It's an absolutely heartbreaking subject, and the writer really highlights this. The descriptions of the murders, the gas chambers - it's all so emotional, but brilliantly written. I can't wait to read the rest!

Comment

• Comment

• idk if anyone said this yet.

but i'm reading the entire Twilight series. it's AMAZING and perfect for a Harry Potter fan:

Twilight
                                      New Moon
                                      Eclipse
                                      Breaking Dawn (out tomorrow, or should i say today at midnight!)

and its being made into a movie, with Robert Pattinson (Cedric Diggory in HP 4) as the lead!

Comment

• (amazon.com)

It's not as good as I expected...
                                        These foolish games are tearing me apart

My CHART

Comment

• I love Nick Hornby's novels. "Slam" is my favourite, and one of my fave books ever (even though it is relatively new).

I'm Currently reading "The End Of Mr Y"

It's different in a good way.

Comment

• I have just started reading Stephen King's Dark Tower series... I have got a long way to go

Comment

• Originally posted by BabyBoy88
                                              i have to read that book.i v got almost all of his books.what a GREAT writer.

you should definitely read next the amazing Jitterbug Perfume
                                              the future gets written today

Comment

• Just finished 'No Country For Old Men'. Great story but McCarthys writing style is so poor
                                                You say that I must eat so many lemons, cos I am so Bitt-er

Comment

• "Can You Keep a Secret?" funny!
                                                  I'm the terminator, bitch talk slick, I'm a have to terminate her \_(?)_/

Comment

• I'm waiting for Rachel Caine's Gale Force to arrive (I ordered it a couple of weeks ago)

So right now I'm rereading the previous Weather Warden book, Thin Air in preparation for Gale Force.

I'm also reading Devil Inside by Jenna Black. Reviews have said it's crap but I really like it so far. It's about a chick who exorcises demons
                                                    I've now met Dean Ambrose FOUR TIMES - 28/03/15, 02/04/16, 20/08/16 & 01/04/17!!

Comment

Working...
                                                    X