No announcement yet.

What Are You Currently Reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Viktor Pelevin - Buddha's Little Finger (original title: "Chapaev i Pustota", Chapaev and Void)

The book is set in two different times after the October Revolution and in modern Russia. In the post-revolutionary period, Pyotr Pustota is a poet who has fled from Saint Petersburg to Moscow and who takes up the identity of a Soviet political commissar and meets a strange man named Vasily Chapayev who is some sort of an army commander. He spends his days drinking samogon, taking drugs and talking about the meaning of life with Chapayev.

Every night (according to his post-revolutionary life) Pustota has nightmares about him being locked up in a psychiatric hospital because of his beliefs of being a poet from the beginning of the century. He shares the room in the hospital with three other men, each with his very individual form of fake identity.

Until the end of the book it isn't perfectly clear, which of Pyotr's identities is the real one and whether there is such a thing as a real identity at all.
    It's SICK and I love it.

Comment

• As I am waiting for my job to start in May I am on total reading spree right know. I have just finished "Dark Places" by Giliann Flynn an must say it is even better than Gone Girl, as it has better character development.

Before I read The Eyes of the Dragon by Stepen King and I was disappointed. I don't know, the title made me hope for something big, but it was really a wannabe fairytale with strange annotations from the narrator like "I leave this to your imagination" and "this is stuff for another tale on another day"...

Right now I am reading the second installment in the Dark Tower series by Stephen King and it started kind of promising I must say. I am only on page 60 right now so I can't tell much but it grabbed me already.
      Music is the blood in my veins

Feel free to add me to your friends list :-)

Comment

• I've only just finished chapter one and I'm already in love with this book.

Akini's Top 100 Artists of the Decade: [#1]

Comment

• ^ One of the best books I've ever read! I've never bookmarked as many pages before.

Comment

• Recently finished reading 'Watchmen' and I honestly cannot recommend it enough. 5/5

I haven't seen the film prior to reading the graphic novel but whether you've seen the film or not, whether you liked it or not, the comic is a must-read. It was actually my first experience with the genre as I've never read any comic book before. I had a course in 'American literature and film' where we discussed the language of comics (sequential art) using 'Watchmen', 'Batman ' and 'Sin City' as examples and following their big-screen adaptions as well (also worked on 'The Great Gatsby' and 'Fight Club' and their respective adaptions as well) and it has been by the far the most interesting course this semester.

You don't have to be a fan of comic books to enjoy this, trust me, the plot and the characters are so well written it's incredible. And don't even get me started on all the symbolism. It's a gripping read from beginning to end. I had actually borrowed a copy from a friend but I'm totally buying it for myself when my next paycheck kicks in. Now I have to go and write a paper on it and it's one of the most enjoyable things I've ever had to do for school.

Comment

• Originally posted by hugo
              I just finished Agatha Christie's "And Then There Were None" and it was absolutely outstanding, I recommend it to everyone.
              omgomgomg yahhhhhs someone else read it! I not a big reader, but I had my little Agatha phase and read quite a few of her books, and "10 little Indians/Ni**ers" (I think that's the original name ) is amazing, it was uncertain till the very end. Like, just when you think you ahd your Sherlock Holmes moment, you're prooven wrong!

There's also a movie, but it's very old and in b&w, still on my to watch list!
              be kind to every kind (also the unkind kind!!!!! )

Comment

• Originally posted by Serby
                Originally posted by hugo
                I just finished Agatha Christie's "And Then There Were None" and it was absolutely outstanding, I recommend it to everyone.
                omgomgomg yahhhhhs someone else read it! I not a big reader, but I had my little Agatha phase and read quite a few of her books, and "10 little Indians/Ni**ers" (I think that's the original name ) is amazing, it was uncertain till the very end. Like, just when you think you ahd your Sherlock Holmes moment, you're prooven wrong!

There's also a movie, but it's very old and in b&w, still on my to watch list!
                YAASSSS Serby!! I was completely oblivious to who the killer was and then that letter... I was slayed.

I'm currently reading Eleanor & Park, it's ok, and I started The Murder of Roger Ackroydin, finally being introduced to Poirot
                "King isn't overrated, your fave is just undertalented."

Comment

• "Eleanor & Park" was too sweet for me, I didn't like the characters that much and Rainbow Rowell's writing style is rather plain. If this is her best, I'm not sure if I want to read her other books.

Now Agatha Christie... I feel like I could read her books forever and never get tired.

Comment

• I'm reading 'The Picture of Dorian Gray'.

Comment

• Dick Hebdige - Subculture: The Meaning of Style

Some enlightening critical essay about the new Taylor Swift single.

Comment

I'm reading 'The Picture of Dorian Gray'.
                        I finally finished it. Amazing novel, I'm sad it didn't answer all my questions in the end (what exactly did Alan Campbell do?), but it was truly brilliant.

On to this one.

Comment

• BS:TS:IA:NM

Comment

• Jugaad Innovation

jugaad - a Hindi word meaning an improvised solution born from ingenuity and cleverness

Jugaad Innovation argues the West must look to places like India, Brazil, and China for a new approach to frugal and flexible innovation.

Comment

On to this one.

This was so sad, I've read some depressing books before, but this reached a new level.

Comment

• I hope I like this one.

Comment

• The diary of Anne Frank
                                  You drew stars around my scars

Comment

• My 27th book this year o.O

200 pages in and enjoying it. Hemingway's dialogue can be so corny, but I love it.

Also this

Comment

• Hemingway hasn't disappointed me yet.

Now reading this one.

Hopefully I'll be able to start watching the tv series soon.

Comment

• Steinbeck is a God, his characters are always so complex and intriguing. Seven chapters in and loving it.

Comment

• The middle section of this book was tremendous. I'm excited to see how it ends.

Comment

• I have given up on John Green's books, but I'll be watching 'Paper Towns' movie for sure.

Comment

• 'East of Eden' was one the best books I've ever read and the best I've read this year. Samuel Hamilton and Lee were really inspiring characters. Now it's time to watch the movie, although I've read it doesn't encompass the whole story and it completely omits the aforementioned characters, that's disappointing :( Oh well, at least it has James Dean, but he looks more like an Aron (innocent pretty boy, blond), in my mind Caleb looked more like Brando, dark hair, manlier.

Comment

• My Best of 2014...|Tumblr|Last.fm|Instagram

Comment

• I read my first physical book in English, 'Sense and Sensibility' by the great Jane Austen, and it proved to be quite challenging, the book, a bind-up of all her novels, was super heavy, but I ended up really enjoying it as expected, #teamcolonelbrandon.

I'm finally reading 'To Kill A Mockingbird', before the sequel comes out.

Comment

• 'To Kill a Mockingbird', biggest disappointment of 2015 for me, \_(?)_/.

Short, but fulfilling, hopefully.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X