Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Non-native English speakers... what about our English?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non-native English speakers... what about our English?

I honestly feel a bit (just a bit) embarrassed when I can't figure out how to write an expression, I have it on my mind and sometimes when I try to write it in English is a bit... difficult Sometimes I think my expression are well-written but there's something about native speakers, they figure out wether I speak English as my primary language or not ... as in any other language...

I sometimes have to use Google Translator or Definitions.com to find out the meaning of certain words in here like "sussed" (just read that one)

Some people here have an amazing English writing and their expressions are so well-made, almost like those articles you read in reviews or news papers(Jim Jim, Sambo, King_Oxymoron) (sounds cheesy I know ) but probably that's how I put it out as I don't speak Enligsh as my native language...

I never took any English lessons, I learnt it by myself through music, movies and reading... I don't know but if I had to rate my English knowledge I'd rate it at 65 % perhaps ! maybe I'm wrong...
    I know of lots of people here learning Enlgish, so I don't know... I just opened this thread to get some opinions

EDITED> I can't read a book in English in its entirety, I just can't , the vocabulary is so bast and complex... some words (specially those dedicated to poetry) are the most remote words in English, almost as if it was a coloquial text... I tried twice to read Harry Potter, and then Water for Elephants, it was so hard I had to sell the later book to a friend of mine... trying to read it at the bus and skipping over 2, 3 words per page was horrible...

^Well if it makes you feel better I always thought it was your native language when I'd read your posts. You have much better grammar than a lot of posters on here who claim English as their primary language. And that's really awesome that you learned it the way you did...it's a notoriously hard language to learn as it uses bits and pieces from other languages. So kudos.
    Stop lookin' through the peephole!!!

Comment

Out of the non-native speakers, you are one of the best ones on here I can assure you!

I've often heard that English is one of the most difficult languages to learn, as there are a lot of rules and aspects to it that don't make sense or are illogical (by comparison to other languages). Furthermore, with so much slang and colloquialisms being used on here, and the internet in general, it can make it even more difficult. Urban Dictionary can come in handy for that.
      Come Play: GUESS THE VIDEO!

Comment

Re: Non-English speakers... how do you feel about your Engli

Originally posted by jpguy
        I sometimes have to use Google Translator or Definitions.com to find out the meaning of certain words in here like "sussed" (just read that one)

I never took any English lessons, I learnt it by myself through music, movies and reading...
        Same here. I still don't know all the gramatical rules though; I don't even know the difference between "Thanks" and "Thank you" and it annoys me

Comment

^ There isn't really a difference between those, 'thanks' is just a shorter, more informal way of saying it. 'Thank you' is more formal and direct... kinda like saying 'hello' instead of 'hi'.

Comment

Originally posted by JimJim
            Out of the non-native speakers, you Furthermore, with so much slang and colloquialisms being used on here, and the internet in general, it can make it even more difficult.
            +1
            THIS!!!
            Heidi Range - Change Your Wicked Ways
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4XpC8BEE1I
            Heidi Range, you are my angel and I love you.

Comment

^ There isn't really a difference between those, 'thanks' is just a shorter, more informal way of saying it. 'Thank you' is more formal and direct... kinda like saying 'hello' instead of 'hi'.
              Ah ok. Thank you . In a film ('Spanglish' ) one mexican lady says "No, thanks" and the american lady replies with "*many things* and it's 'thank you' by the way", that's why I assumed there was a difference

Comment

Jpguy this is one of the best threads i've seen since i joined ukmix about 2,5 years ago! Learning non-school english and slangs are the main reasons i'm here (along with my passion for music). The language i am taught at school is WAY too formal for a 18 year-old boy! :-?
                Crazy4DaveFranco....ehm, i mean Brad

Comment

jpguy - wow, I'm impressed! For someone who never took any English lessons, your English is extremely good.

Comment

@jpguy
                    Your english is perfect IMO.
                    Haven't been early since '88

Comment

Originally posted by irishguy28
                      jpguy - wow, I'm impressed! For someone who never took any English lessons, your English is extremely good.
                      Yeah, as am I! I have the up-most respect for anyone that can teach themselves an entire language all by themselves!

Comment

Originally posted by sambo9
                        I have the up-most respect
                        Don't you mean utmost?

Comment

Originally posted by sambo9
                          I have the up-most respect
                          As much as I hate it when people do this to me, I have to say it given the topic... utmost*

Please don't hate me!

Comment

Can anyone be so kind to explain me the difference between "beach" and "b!tch"? Thanks

Comment

Irony is taking a serious hit today.

Comment

Good recovery!

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy4Brit
                                  Can anyone be so kind to explain me the differente between "beach" and "b!tch"? Thanks
                                  Is this a serious question?

A beach is a sandy piece of coastline...

A bitch is a female dog or a rude/bad woman...

Comment

Find me on Last.fm

Comment

Note: There are literally MILLIONS of examples of each.

Comment

A bitch is a female dog or a rude/bad woman...
                                        SHANNEN?! WHY??!!!

Find me on Last.fm

Comment

Originally posted by irishguy28
                                          Good recovery!
                                          I have grammatical errors all the time (again, it was only last year when I stopped using "could of") but that was a genuine pun because jpguy listed me as having "well-made" English, which couldn't be further from the truth.

Comment

Originally posted by Marshall

SHANNEN?! WHY??!!!

It came up when I typed it into Google Images

Comment

I wasn't ironic! I was talking about the pronounce!!

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy4Brit
                                                I wasn't ironic! I was talking about the pronunce!!
                                                Oh, you mean how are they pronounced differently?

Beach is pronounced 'bee-ch' (Like the start of 'Beyonce' + the start of 'church')
                                                Bitch is pronounced 'bit-ch' (Like the start of 'Bitter' + the start of 'church')

Comment

"Beach" rhymes with "teach", "preach" etc.

"Bitch" rhymes with "rich", "kitsch", etc.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X