Gaining Weight/Muscle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by theMathematician View Post
    InFamous : Thanks for your helpful comments. Regarding the leg press: Haven't had pain in my back for weeks, so I'm probably doing something right there. And no, the staff member didn't check my range of motion in a standing bodyweight squat.
    Regarding the bicycle curls: So you'd suggest, indeed, an ankle of 180 degrees? Yeah, then I have to lower the weight, I guess . I recently trained with 22.5kg, approaching 25kg, but I'd struggle to go all the way down with that. So I'll check out whether 17.5 or 20kg are working for me.
    Those little things show me, however, that I'm not the kind of guy to use free weights. You need to watch your technique intensely using them and I'd probably only mess up my body with them .
    Your arm should be almost fully extended at the base of the movement with a very slight bend in the elbow, and make sure your elbow is against your side, no flaring. At the top,squeeze your bicep at the peak contraction and hold it for a second. Slow movements. I guess you are doing both arms together as 22.5kg seems a lot for a single arm bicep curl ?

Comment

• I'll definitely try to follow your instruction next time I'm going to do arms. And yeah, it's the weight for both arms. I'd probably already have got huge arms if I was able to lift that with one arm ^^ .
      Is it offensive to fall in love with you and everything you do
      and everything you stand for?
      Could I break through your invisible wall, could I hide my pride for once,
      just to tell you that I see more?

Comment

I'll definitely try to follow your instruction next time I'm going to do arms. And yeah, it's the weight for both arms. I'd probably already have got huge arms if I was able to lift that with one arm ^^ .
        Even 10kg for a single arm bicep curl is quite a lot, but you are better off dropping the weight and going for full range of motion. Then after 12 full slow and controlled reps finish off with partials from 90 degrees up until you fail. You will get an intense burn in the peak of your bicep.

Also if huge arms is your goal, dont forget to train your triceps also.

Comment

• Hey InFamous ,

I had upper body training today and wanted to tell you how it went. Regarding the biceps exercise, I did the full range of motion thing and initially didn't know which weight to go for. I started with 17.5kg, then tried 20kg only to find out that I'd get shaky afer like 2 reps - and weight < technique. So I did like 2x2 sets of curls with 17.5kg and it went quite fine. Forgot about including partials, but I may add them next time. In the beginning, I was like 'Oh, not feeling anything!', but with more repetitions, I definitely felt the exertion;) . Let's hope that it pushes the muscle growth some more and maybe I can increase the weight to 20kg by like mid to late August!

Best regards

Comment

• ^^ Well done ! theMathematician
          Stick with the lower weight, you will see better results.

Also make sure you are including push ups in your upper body routine. When you work your entire upper body as a unit the smaller muscles that sit between the main muscles will all get worked and this will contribute to the overall appearance and symmetry of your upper body, as well as prevent muscle imbalances and injuries.. 3 slow sets of 10 to finish every upper body session, working up to 3 * 15 over time. Add in 3 sets of back extensions between sets of push ups, it is very important to include some work for the lower back too.

Comment

• Thanks buddy! I haven't done push ups since... well, since the lockdown was relieved. During those 2 months, I quite mastered push ups (but then again, I lost quite a bit of muscle mass during that time). I could add some more back training, that is correct: What I do is lat pull and aided pull ups from time to time (not my favorite exercises though).

Comment

Thanks buddy! I haven't done push ups since... well, since the lockdown was relieved. During those 2 months, I quite mastered push ups (but then again, I lost quite a bit of muscle mass during that time). I could add some more back training, that is correct: What I do is lat pull and aided pull ups from time to time (not my favorite exercises though).
              Lat pull and aided pull ups work the back and biceps
              Chest press and bench press and push ups work the chest and triceps.

So you should be doing both for a well rounded physique.

Those back exercises you mentioned dont hit the low back at all, google back extensions.

Comment

• I have a slight hollow back, so low back exercising wouldn't be a bad idea actually. My gym has got a low back machine. Do you mean this with back extensions? I've seen it before (I thought it was an abs exercise), not sure whether there's something similar at my gym though.

Comment

I have a slight hollow back, so low back exercising wouldn't be a bad idea actually. My gym has got a low back machine. Do you mean this with back extensions? I've seen it before (I thought it was an abs exercise), not sure whether there's something similar at my gym though.
                  No. You dont need any fancy machines to work you lower back.

Lie on the ground face down, extend arms in front of you at shoulder width and straight, turn your feet down so the tops of your feet can press into the ground to stabilize you, keep hips stable and stomach flat to ground. Tighten your quads and slightly squeeze your bottom, then lift your hands and upper body off ground smoothly, keeping head neutral. Hold for a second and lower, you do not need to go too high and you should not feel pain in the low back, just a sense that the muscles there are turning on. Keep your bottom clenched to protect the back. This also has a bonus effect of targeting your ass !!

Like this but keep legs on floor to start

Comment

• Sounds interesting! I'll try it out sometime soon, I promise ;) .

Comment

Sounds interesting! I'll try it out sometime soon, I promise ;) .
                      If you are training everything above your lower back and under your lower back and doing nothing for the area that connects them both together, you will eventually have issues !! So be aware !

Comment

• theMathematician
                        theMathematician commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Thanks for the advice!

• InFamous
                        InFamous commented
                        Editing a comment
                        No probs, dont hesitate to ask me anything anytime.

• Haven't been able to try out the back extension exercise yet, but I wanted to report that I've started including a calves exercise into my leg routine like a few weeks ago (when I found out that you can do them at the leg press). Before that, I used to do calves raising with bodyweight. I've gotta do say that I can already see results and I consider that a good thing: If you wear short pants, you mostly see the lower leg and you don't want the lower leg to be all skinny compared to the well-trained upper leg behind the pants.
                      I also included a glutes exercise because I felt like the side effects from the other leg exercises weren't strong enough to really add volume to the glutes. I'm not seeing results yet, but I probably gotta give that time.
                      Finally, I recently watched a YT video regarding lower arm training and yeah, my lower arms are quite skinny and it'd probably be useful to train the lower arm at least every now and then. Not sure whether it's the holy grail, but the guy in the video suggested to hold the barbell, keep the upper arms stiff and just raise and lower the wrist. Let's see whether it works!

Comment

Haven't been able to try out the back extension exercise yet, but I wanted to report that I've started including a calves exercise into my leg routine like a few weeks ago (when I found out that you can do them at the leg press). Before that, I used to do calves raising with bodyweight. I've gotta do say that I can already see results and I consider that a good thing: If you wear short pants, you mostly see the lower leg and you don't want the lower leg to be all skinny compared to the well-trained upper leg behind the pants.
                        I also included a glutes exercise because I felt like the side effects from the other leg exercises weren't strong enough to really add volume to the glutes. I'm not seeing results yet, but I probably gotta give that time.
                        Finally, I recently watched a YT video regarding lower arm training and yeah, my lower arms are quite skinny and it'd probably be useful to train the lower arm at least every now and then. Not sure whether it's the holy grail, but the guy in the video suggested to hold the barbell, keep the upper arms stiff and just raise and lower the wrist. Let's see whether it works!
                        Thats just a wrist curl, personally I think its really lame. If you just do a few sets of push ups you will get the same benefits! Also theres relatively no muscle in your "lower arms" so any gains will be miniscule. It all depends on your frame and bone structure whether or not you have size in your lower arms, same with your hands and wrists.

Comment

• Most bodybuilders (and no, not trying to become one, just build up an athletic physique) have got big lower arms without, at least I think so, explicitely training them. Do push ups really help the lower arm? I thought they'd work in favor of shoulders, chest and upper arms.
                          Not sure whether that's scientifically valid, but I'd compare the lower arm to the lower leg in a way that they tend to be forgotten in weight training often and are hard to train to the limits of genetics (I read that some guys train their calves but struggle to get them bigger, which, thankfully, is not a problem of mine.).

Comment

• Dude you're pushing your entire body up with your arms. Of course you're going to get pressure and work into the wrists/ elbow area when doing pushups. The body works as a whole during some exercises. You need to think more full body work as opposed to breaking everything down part by part. How long have you been following your current style routine and are you hopeful of it taking you to your desired physique?
                            ​​​​​

Comment

• Makes sense that there's a connection between different body parts when doing complex exercises. During the lockdown, I was bound to do bodyweight exercises and included push ups in my routine. Like a year ago, I couldn't do any push ups and started doing them every now and then months ago. I noticed I was getting better and could increase the amount of repetitions. During the lockdown, I noticed that, at one point, they would get too easy (and I haven't even got some huge arms.) and added additional weight in form of a back pack filled with books. Since the end of the lockdown, I stopped doing push ups, which might have to do with me having lost significant amounts of muscles during those 2 months of lockdown (around 15% in the upper body area and 5% in the lower body area) - a consequence of 'just' bodyweight training?
                              I started weightlifting in June 2019, basically at 0. In the beginning, the trainers introduced me to circuit training but as I kept adding weights, I continuously felt like the circuit wasn't doing it anymore for me (From what I've seen, that's the development for most guys who are more into building muscles rather than getting fit at my gym.). I kept moving over to the machines and it developed into some kind of upper body/lower body split. I haven't got a fixed schedule, but I try to do every exercise at least once a week - depending on how much time I've got and what I'm into on that very day. I did some changes after the end of the lockdown in May and of course still am open for edits. I hope that my training leads to me reaching my goals, but then again, it probably takes time if you do it naturally. I recently talked to a guy at my gym who's got some big arms and he told me that it's the result of 10 years of training, so you can't expect major results in just a short time (still thought I could 12 months ago). My aspired physique is something probably most guys work forward to: sixpack, visible pecs, a nice biceps and strong legs. Maybe something close to that...
                              Last edited by theMathematician; Wed July 22nd, 2020, 17:01.

Comment

• ^^ LOL that guys body is horrible, bloated and obviously fuelled by steroids. Does not look in any way natural to me.

Comment

• Mmmm... Didn't think of it that way. But at least you have got a idea in which direction I'm trying to go (hopefully without looking horrible, bloated and obviously fuelled by steroids ;) ) .

Comment

Mmmm... Didn't think of it that way. But at least you have got a idea in which direction I'm trying to go (hopefully without looking horrible, bloated and obviously fuelled by steroids ;) ) .
                                    I would need to see a pic of your current shape and body type to guage if that is in any way a realistic goal for you, assuming you do it naturally .

Comment

• I've got a bit more careful when it comes to private information (and I include pictures there), but I could send you one via PM and you could comment on that in here. I'd do it naturally and while, of course, I wouldn't mind getting to my goal sooner than sooner, I'm not in a hurry, so if it took a bit longer going from a to b, I'll survive that somehow ;) .

Comment

• theMathematician
                                        Editing a comment
                                        No, I didn't send a picture to you. I wanted to wait whether you'd be OK with that.

• InFamous
                                        InFamous commented
                                        Editing a comment
                                        yeah i dont have an issue.

• theMathematician
                                        Editing a comment
                                        I'll send you ones either on Saturday or Sunday.

• Hey guys,

it's arms day today and during the biceps exercise, I was like 'OK, 17.5kg seemed quite easy, let's try out 20kg!'. I initially had planned 20kg for like late September, but I could actually handle it and so sticked with it throughout all of the sets (full range of motion). I was quite proud about it tbh . Maybe I can handle 25kg by the end of the year. By the way, how much weight should you be able to lift if you're working towards an arm with a 40 cm-ish circumference?
                                      I'm doing triceps at the machine and currently doing well with 55kg. I tried 62kg for a while, but noticed that I was doing it wrong technique-wise and lowered the weight again.
                                      Regarding the lower arm: I stopped with the wrist curls again as I wasn't thinking they're really effective (maybe I used to light weights, I don't know...). Instead, I actually found an exercise I have done for quite a while to give me more of a 'pump' in that regard: aided pull ups but with a tight grasp. I try to keep the upper arm as stiff as possible and only pull with my lower arm (hope that explanation makes sense). Need to do it more often to see whether it's actually working for me long-term.

Best regards

Comment

• I follow Autumn Bates for that shit.
                                        YOU KNOW ME, I JUST DON'T STOP. | My last.fm

Comment

Working...
                                        X