Gaining Weight/Muscle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey guys,

it's arms day today and during the biceps exercise, I was like 'OK, 17.5kg seemed quite easy, let's try out 20kg!'. I initially had planned 20kg for like late September, but I could actually handle it and so sticked with it throughout all of the sets (full range of motion). I was quite proud about it tbh . Maybe I can handle 25kg by the end of the year. By the way, how much weight should you be able to lift if you're working towards an arm with a 40 cm-ish circumference?
    I'm doing triceps at the machine and currently doing well with 55kg. I tried 62kg for a while, but noticed that I was doing it wrong technique-wise and lowered the weight again.
    Regarding the lower arm: I stopped with the wrist curls again as I wasn't thinking they're really effective (maybe I used to light weights, I don't know...). Instead, I actually found an exercise I have done for quite a while to give me more of a 'pump' in that regard: aided pull ups but with a tight grasp. I try to keep the upper arm as stiff as possible and only pull with my lower arm (hope that explanation makes sense). Need to do it more often to see whether it's actually working for me long-term.

Best regards
    Is it offensive to fall in love with you and everything you do
    and everything you stand for?
    Could I break through your invisible wall, could I hide my pride for once,
    just to tell you that I see more?

Comment

• I follow Autumn Bates for that shit.
      YOU KNOW ME, I JUST DON'T STOP. | My last.fm

Comment

• At the moment, it's pretty hot, so I noticed a disadvantage of big legs for the first time. After a long day of work, my left inner thigh was aching a bit and I guess that it has to do with my inner thighs chafing against each other. In fact, I tried it out and my thighs are already touching each other when I'm standing straight . I still want to increase the circumference by a few centimeters, but maybe I should skip the adductors for a bit...

Comment

• In my gym, I hardly see women doing arms or chest exercises and if I see them doing them, they mostly stick with light weights. Let's pretend they'd go for high weights: The effect on arms should be similar to the ones of men doing extensive arm workout. What about the chest area? Does it enhance or shrink women's chest area?

Comment

• I had a body check today. Apparently, I'm back to my post-lockdown state of muscle mass, which makes no sense as I feel bulkier and am able to lift higher weights . Hopefully I'm gonna surpass the 30kg pure muscle mass still this year somehow after hanging around at 29kg-ish for months now . On the positive side of things, I feel like Mr. chicken breast himself, aka me, is finally starting to develop some visible pecs. I'm not even close to 50 Cent circa 2003, but it's a start and something like a milestone after more than a year of training .

Comment

• Obviously I don't know your routine etc. but: If you're hitting a plateu muscle wise it can be very effective to include some new exercises and change your diet a little. Your body got probably used to the things you're doing and is not responding as much to it anymore.
              aRat's NUDES LEAKED

Comment

• theMathematician
                theMathematician commented
                Editing a comment
                Never thought about that, but thanks for your feedback! It's appreciated.

• Originally posted by theMathematician View Post
              I had a body check today. Apparently, I'm back to my post-lockdown state of muscle mass, which makes no sense as I feel bulkier and am able to lift higher weights . Hopefully I'm gonna surpass the 30kg pure muscle mass still this year somehow after hanging around at 29kg-ish for months now . On the positive side of things, I feel like Mr. chicken breast himself, aka me, is finally starting to develop some visible pecs. I'm not even close to 50 Cent circa 2003, but it's a start and something like a milestone after more than a year of training .
              I wouldn't worry about those body check machines, they are notoriously unreliable. Use how you look as a barometer as if it far more reliable.

Comment

In my gym, I hardly see women doing arms or chest exercises and if I see them doing them, they mostly stick with light weights. Let's pretend they'd go for high weights: The effect on arms should be similar to the ones of men doing extensive arm workout. What about the chest area? Does it enhance or shrink women's chest area?
              Incorrect, women will not develop muscle like men by lifting weights due to hormonal differences.

Comment

• theMathematician
                theMathematician commented
                Editing a comment
                And again, thanks for the information!

• InFamous:

Regarding protein bars: There are ones with 30-35g of protein per 100g and a few ones with even 50-60g of protein per 100g. Is the former still OK or too few? Today, I've seen protein bars with candy bar tastes (Mars, M&M, etc.): Are they basically sweets with more protein or are they recommendable when you want to eat healthy-ish and build up muscles?
              Last edited by theMathematician; Sat September 5, 2020, 14:31.

Comment

• I recently noticed that I was not making progresses when it comes to some exercises and therefore decided to reduce their weight. I wanted to make quick gains, but then again, I doubt that you can do so by doing half-assed repetitions because the weight is too high. I recently upped the weight for the chest press but will keep the other weight stats like that until the end of the month and then, we'll see.
                I guess it's a good indicator to look at what buff guys are doing because if they're doing the same weight as you, it's likely that you're not doing the exercise the correct way ^^ .
                Last edited by theMathematician; Sat September 5, 2020, 14:32.

Comment

• I've got a question regarding the adductors: In the beginning, I had loved exercising the adductors and made progress quickly going by weight. A couple of weeks ago, I noticed that my thighs began chafing against each other when walking, which is why I decided to skip the adductors machine. Yesterday, I wore pants which were a bit sagging and my thighs were chafing against each other, which was uncomfortable. Today, I trained the adductors for the first time in weeks but only with 2/3 of my usual weight, which felt like I wasn't doing anything. I know that girls get the tip to lift heavy when they want both, to get slimmer or bigger legs. I want big quads, big hamstrings and big glutes but small inner thighs because... there's no need for that area to be big basically ^^ . What would you recommend?

Comment

• One question regarding the leg press: I try not to compare my weights with others that much anymore, but I know that I've heard a few times before that you could easily reach high amounts of weight at the leg press since legs would be able to handle that much weight. I just stumbled over that video and the guy says that he's doing 210kg. I'm currently doing 120kg and when I'm doing leg press properly, this machine challenges me like no other ^^ . That guy's legs don't look much bigger than mine actually, so I wonder: Are you able to push higher weights with your feet when you push the platform for your feet away instead of your seat, or do some guys need to push higher weights to be able to grow the same amount of muscles?

Comment

• He only did 5 reps at that weight so he is doing sets with really heavy weight and low reps.

I dont get what you mean about pushing the seat away, in every leg press machine i have ever seen you are pushing the platform away, thats why its called a leg press.

Comment

• OK, I get the difference. Regarding the type of leg press: Mine has a fixed platform and you push back your seat with the help of your feet. I'm sure there's a special name for it, but I don't know it.

Comment

OK, I get the difference. Regarding the type of leg press: Mine has a fixed platform and you push back your seat with the help of your feet. I'm sure there's a special name for it, but I don't know it.
                          That's not a leg press machine, its a squat or hack squat machine and a completely different stimulus/ muscle engagement than the leg press.
                          You can't compare weight from that machine to an actual leg press machine.

Comment

• Really? The machine is actually called leg press and looks like this.

Comment

Really? The machine is actually called leg press and looks like this.
                              But youre not pressing with your legs. If you look at it its more of a squat movement and you simply wont move as much weight with that set up.
                              A traditional leg press machine is like the one in the video.

Comment

• Yeah, you do some kind of squat movement with it. In that case, I see the difference and why it's harder to have a progress on that machine. Thanks!

Comment

Yeah, you do some kind of squat movement with it. In that case, I see the difference and why it's harder to have a progress on that machine. Thanks!
                                  Well if you think about it logically you can see its basically the opposite movement. I mean gravity alone makes it easier to lower weight from the top down than having to exert the force from the bottom up. You simply cannot compare two polar opposite movements. Also its pointless comparing your weight to the weight of a guy on youtube because you think his legs look the same size as yours. Even if his legs are the same size as yours he can be far stronger than you, and therefore able to move more weight. IT is also possible to train for sheer strength, not just size size size. Not everyone in the gym is a size queen LOL, people have other goals.

Comment

• InFamous : You're right, this size queen thing is shitty actually. In the beginning, I admit that I was driven by weight as well. I was like 'WOW, those guys are lifting such heavy weights; I wanna get there asap, too.' These days, I have my weights, which work for me and by the time I feel like they'll get too light for me, I'll go heavier. However, there is one weight-related thing that I actually consider helpful: If a guy much bigger than you is actually lifting the same or even lighter weights than you, it's likely that you're not doing the exercise as you're supposed to do it. Example: I kept going higher and higher with the weight on the leg press and wondered why I was able to do much more than other people. Then a trainer told me to go much closer with my seat to the platform to simulate a squat movement actually - and that's when I realized 'OK, doing the exercise that way makes it much harder to bend the same amount of weight.' ;) .

Comment

InFamous : You're right, this size queen thing is shitty actually. In the beginning, I admit that I was driven by weight as well. I was like 'WOW, those guys are lifting such heavy weights; I wanna get there asap, too.' These days, I have my weights, which work for me and by the time I feel like they'll get too light for me, I'll go heavier. However, there is one weight-related thing that I actually consider helpful: If a guy much bigger than you is actually lifting the same or even lighter weights than you, it's likely that you're not doing the exercise as you're supposed to do it. Example: I kept going higher and higher with the weight on the leg press and wondered why I was able to do much more than other people. Then a trainer told me to go much closer with my seat to the platform to simulate a squat movement actually - and that's when I realized 'OK, doing the exercise that way makes it much harder to bend the same amount of weight.' ;) .
                                      Again it doesnt really make a difference because maybe he is doing a light day, maybe he has been injured and is coming back from that or maybe he is on a deload week. Like do you monitor the weights everyone at your gym uses and whether or not they are bigger than you lol. It doesn't matter what anyone else is doing, that cant change your body in any way.

If you think you are not performing an exercise properly ask a trainer.

And yeah obviously you have to have the seat down on that machine as you are only doing half the movement otherwize LOL and sure anyone could go heavy like that !!
                                      Last edited by InFamous; Thu September 24, 2020, 00:03.

Comment

• From time to time, I look at what other people are using as weights indeed ^^ . I'm a curious person in general and the orientational aspect comes in addition to that. I wasn't aware that deload was a thing until a You Tuber talked about it in one of his recent videos.
                                        Now I know that I was just doing half of the movement, but it took a while to find out about it.

Comment

From time to time, I look at what other people are using as weights indeed ^^ . I'm a curious person in general and the orientational aspect comes in addition to that. I wasn't aware that deload was a thing until a You Tuber talked about it in one of his recent videos.
                                          Now I know that I was just doing half of the movement, but it took a while to find out about it.
                                          Be careful you dont get a name for yourself in your gym lol. People that stare and watch people too much can be called creepers or peepers ( if you do it in the locker room too ) LOL

Comment

• True ^^ !

Comment

• Originally posted by DnBLover View Post
                                              Eat, lift, rest. I always had the same attitude of I can't gain wait and I'm too thin.
                                              Reality was, I've always been incredibly active, probably with a high metabolism and wasn't eating enough.

Since August I gained 9kg by tracking calories (3000 a day) and doing a simple training program Strong Lifts 5x5
                                              Hey there, ive read about this program but never did it myself.

Were you able to add weight on every session like it says you should do ? That part always looked a bit unrealistic to me.

Comment

Working...
                                              X