Coronavirus outbreak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Covid-19: Oxford University vaccine is highly effective

The coronavirus vaccine developed by the University of Oxford is highly effective at stopping people developing Covid-19 symptoms, a large trial shows.

Interim data suggests 70% protection, but the researchers say the figure may be as high as 90% by tweaking the dose.

The results will be seen as a triumph, but come after Pfizer and Moderna vaccines showed 95% protection.

However, the Oxford jab is far cheaper, and is easier to store and get to every corner of the world than the other two.

So the vaccine will play a significant role in tackling the pandemic, if it is approved for use by regulators.

"The announcement today takes us another step closer to the time when we can use vaccines to bring an end to the devastation caused by [the virus]," said the vaccine's architect, Prof Sarah Gilbert.

The UK government has pre-ordered 100 million doses of the Oxford vaccine, and AstraZeneca says it will make three billion doses for the world next year.

Prime Minister Boris Johnson said it was "incredibly exciting news" and that while there were still safety checks to come, "these are fantastic results".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55040635
    Up to 90% effective with 1.5 doses - significantly cheaper than the other vaccines and much easier to store and distribute.

The U.K. has 100m doses on pre-order - and the U.K. company behind the vaccine could have up to 3 billion doses ready to distribute within a year.

These medical developments are breathtaking - to turn all of this around so quickly is totally amazing.

Comment

• Still no lockdown here in Switzerland, but our cases dropped by ~50% for a week now. Our positivity rate went from ~30% to around ~20% (even just 16,7% for the weekend). I'm glad our government chose the "middle of the road" with some restrictions, but no lockdown, and we're actually doing "fine" with this strategy so far.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wayne View Post

Up to 90% effective with 1.5 doses - significantly cheaper than the other vaccines and much easier to store and distribute.

The U.K. has 100m doses on pre-order - and the U.K. company behind the vaccine could have up to 3 billion doses ready to distribute within a year.

These medical developments are breathtaking - to turn all of this around so quickly is totally amazing.
        Still the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines outtalented by having a 95% protection. Quality over quantity. The real queen of Anti Covid Vaccines. Talent and beauty always win I fear.
        BEAUTY IS A MUST, TALENT IS A PLUS
        98 - OUT

Comment

• Not the vaccine popping out everywhere now. Well good for us, the pandemic will be over faster and the vaccine cheaper with all that competition.
          aRat's NUDES LEAKED

Comment

• @Tansike: Happy for you guys in Switzerland!
            Is it offensive to fall in love with you and everything you do
            and everything you stand for?
            Could I break through your invisible wall, could I hide my pride for once,
            just to tell you that I see more?

Comment

• Originally posted by aRat View Post

Still the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines outtalented by having a 95% protection. Quality over quantity. The real queen of Anti Covid Vaccines. Talent and beauty always win I fear.
              The vaccine equivalent of Celine v Mariah v Madonna.

Comment

The vaccine equivalent of Celine v Mariah v Madonna.
                I'm not going to ask you tell me which you think is the cheapest vaccine
                Queuing for Girls Aloud reunion tickets since 2013

#FreeBritney

Comment

Oh wow legend NRW showing the other gerls how it's done. Only the biggest and most important MBG (Main Bundesland Girl) of Germany
                  Northern states >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

1) The SEA
                  2) The beaches
                  3) The life
                  4) The language
                  5) The abysmal Corona numbers
                  6) HOME!!!

The saying goes: Berlin is the New York of GER while Hamburg is Germany's Los Angeles. And that's true.

Kölle and the likes are merely remnants of the once so mighty, but highly irrelevant coal industry.

My Chart

Comment

• Originally posted by BeeBoy View Post
                    Not the vaccine popping out everywhere now. Well good for us, the pandemic will be over faster and the vaccine cheaper with all that competition.
                    I am very suspicious of that. Honestly, I really want it tho... bc I almost cannot remember what life was like before Corona.
                    My Chart

Comment

• Originally posted by stevyy View Post

I am very suspicious of that. Honestly, I really want it tho... bc I almost cannot remember what life was like before Corona.
                      As far as I remember, people used to shake hands (in the Francophone countries: kiss the other like there's no tomorrow) instead of making that dance move with their feet or something ^^ .

Comment

• I just want the clubs to be open. Enough is enough
                        Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

• Originally posted by spiritboy View Post
                          I just want the clubs to be open. Enough is enough
                          Omg yes g0rl the last time I went there was in January. I feel like I lost my dancing skills after such a long pause.
                          98 - OUT

Comment

• Boris has confirmed the following for the UK:
                            • Lockdown will be ending on 2nd December.
                            • The UK will then move back into a 3-tiered system.
                            • The regions with the worst COVID figures will be put into tier 3.
                            • The tiered system will be strengthened, and toughened this time.
                            • Shops will be allowed to re-open in all areas, as will gyms and grooming places.
                            • Hospitality venues however will remain closed in tier 3 areas and subject to previous guidance in tier 1 and 2 areas.
                            • Christmas will be happening, in some form - it's pending agreement between the devolved nations of the UK.
                            The vaccine is very much being heralded as the saving grace here.

Comment

• Originally posted by spiritboy View Post
                              I just want the clubs to be open. Enough is enough
                              You might be needing proof of vaccination to enter a club in the foreseeable future. And given that older people will have the priority in getting the vaccine, I predict a 70s revival club scene boom.
                              jio CHARTS NOW: 19/1/2021: https://www.ukmix.org/forum/chart-di...1#post10543721

Comment

• Macron talking about the end-of-the-year plan for France tomorrow night.
                                5.05.2009 / 6.22.2011 / 4.24.2013 / 4.25.2013 / 3.1.2014 / 9.13.2014 / 7.21.2016 / 7.14.2018 / 7.15.2018

Comment

Oh wow legend NRW showing the other gerls how it's done. Only the biggest and most important MBG (Main Bundesland Girl) of Germany
                                  Where exactly is Thurigen and what exactly are they doing there ? That 45 percent increase

Comment

• Originally posted by InFamous View Post

Where exactly is Thurigen and what exactly are they doing there ? That 45 percent increase
                                    It's basically the Alabama of Germany so they are spreading Covid by either:

a) doing incestual activities
                                    b) holding mass neo-nazi gatherings
                                    c) both of the above
                                    98 - OUT

Comment

7 days average growth of new infections

+45% - Thüringen
                                      +31% - Sachen-Anhalt
                                      +18% - Brandenburg

+9% - Berlin
                                      +9% - Mecklenburg-V
                                      +8% - Sachsen
                                      +2% - Baden-Württemberg
                                      +1% - Hessen

-3% - NRW
                                      -7% - Bayern
                                      -7% - RP
                                      -9% - SH
                                      <-------------------------------------------------stevyy's patrie
                                      -13% - Bremen
                                      -14% - NS
                                      -18% - Saarland
                                      -20% - HH
                                      WaiT I didn't even notice at first that the nazi trinity was on top

This doesn't bode well for Methematican's theory that migrants are spreading Covid since no migrant would live in those states unless they have a death wish
                                      Last edited by aRat; Mon November 23, 2020, 18:42.
                                      98 - OUT

Comment

• I wonder will it still be illegal to enter or exit Scotland in December

Comment

You recently claimed that because you are an introvert that your life had not changed at all really. You told us all albout how your chosen activites had carried on in the face of Corona and that it didn't really make much of a difference to your life at all

Comment

Christmas will be happening, in some form
                                            Seeing so many people are so insistent on celebrating Christmas, I guess the churches will be open.
                                            It's the place where Christmas is really celebrated.

My Instagram... - Click here

Comment

• Originally posted by RayRay View Post

Seeing so many people are so insistent on celebrating Christmas, I guess the churches will be open.
                                              It's the place where Christmas is really celebrated.

What has celebrating Santa’s birthday got to do with church?

#FreeBritney

Comment

• Originally posted by InFamous View Post
                                                I wonder will it still be illegal to enter or exit Scotland in December
                                                It’s not illegal now. That silly woman continues to overstep and overstate her importance.

#FreeBritney

Comment

• Correct me if I’m totally off the mark here, but despite the lower success rate, shouldn’t we be inclined to put more trust in the Oxford vaccine with it being from an academic research facility rather than a for profit pharmaceutical business? Or have I misunderstood?
                                                  1 Harry Styles |2 PNAU |3 Michael Gray|4 Jessie Frye |5 Jazmine Sullivan

Comment

• aRat : Actually, the numbers don't get along with your assumptions as, theoretically, a high number of total cases * 0,97 (Northrine-Westphalia) could still be higher than a low number of total cases * 1,45 (Thuringia). Guess I'm telling you nothing new there as natural scientist!

Great development in the UK, Wayne!

Comment

Working...
                                                    X