Coronavirus outbreak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Thriller View Post

The media are pissing me right off at the moment - it’s relentless. They need to consider people’s mental health.
    One of my resolutions that I’ve actually stuck to was giving up on the news. I check the BBC news app once a day and that’s it. You get all the important updates still without any of the noise. I’ve never been so disconnected from celebrity culture, but I’m pretty sure nothing is happening!

Yes things are moving quickly in a covid world, but not enough to be glued to the 24/7 news cycle, and the tabloids have done nothing but create a culture of fear-mongering. I had to disconnect and I’m so glad I did.
    I'm like a dream within a dream that's been decoded

#FreeBritney

Comment

• Originally posted by menime123 View Post

One of my resolutions that I’ve actually stuck to was giving up on the news. I check the BBC news app once a day and that’s it. You get all the important updates still without any of the noise. I’ve never been so disconnected from celebrity culture, but I’m pretty sure nothing is happening!

Yes things are moving quickly in a covid world, but not enough to be glued to the 24/7 news cycle, and the tabloids have done nothing but create a culture of fear-mongering. I had to disconnect and I’m so glad I did.
      I’ve tried my best to avoid “doom scrolling” the news for the last six months and I’m quite good at it - I have the Guardian widget and I generally just check the three headlines on that in the morning and late evening. It’s really hard to escape though because in most WhatsApp groups everyone drops the latest developments in, then my team speak about it in our meetings, then you catch something in a meme on Instagram...

Comment

I’ve never been so disconnected from celebrity culture,

well they are disconnected from the rest of the planet with their frequent trips to the Far East.
        1 Camila Cabello |2 Silk Sonic|3 Yola |4 Jennifer Hudson |5 KAWALA

Comment

One of my resolutions that I’ve actually stuck to was giving up on the news. I check the BBC news app once a day and that’s it
          I've tried this, but I just can't do it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wayne View Post

I've tried this, but I just can't do it.
            It took a little while, I won’t lie. I’m used to it now. I’m not a hermit and I still feel like I get enough news, and you can’t avoid stuff if it’s on social media, or someone mentions it etc, but I’m okay with that.

I’ll be honest though, I stopped watching five soaps and stopped reading the news and gossip rags - but don’t ask me what’s replaced them or what I do with my time instead, because I haven’t a clue
            I'm like a dream within a dream that's been decoded

#FreeBritney

Comment

• Originally posted by RayRay View Post

I don't feel very lucky though. Curfew at night, all shops and restaurants closed, not more than one guest allowed in your house, most people work at home... but primary schools can open next week...

How are we only allowed one visitor in our house, but it's okay to be in one small class room with 30+ kids?
              Exactly true. I've been at school 2 times a week since the end of the Christmas break here. I'm teaching the 9th and 10th graders at my school who are forced to be present in class. However, I have much less contact than normally. I've counted and I'm normally teaching 96 children per week. During the height of Covid-Lockdown and due to the fact that the grades 1-8 are not allowed to attend classes, that number has currently shrunk to 48 children per week. That also goes against the current Lockdown regulations.

Should any one of those kids get Covid... nobody will go in quarantine.. except for the infected child. And nobody else in the class will get a Corona test bc according to our education ministers: "Corona does not exist in or at schools. Children and young adults do not contract the infection nor do they spread it!" That is the official stance of our government.

Just last week, however, Baden-Württemberg - one of the biggest states in Germany, wanted to re-open primary schools. And just three days before it could have done so, SEVERAL children contracted the new B.117 British mutation of Covid in at least 2 kindergartens. And the prime minister of that state had to cancel the reopening. It was like... divine intervention.
              My Chart

Comment

• The educational minister of your federal state never said so.
                I know you're on the sensitive side of things, but make the best out of the situation, do frontal teaching and stay distant to the students!
                Last edited by theMathematician; Wed February 3, 2021, 01:32.
                Pro: freedom of speech
                Contra: cancel culture

Comment

I don't feel very lucky though. Curfew at night, all shops and restaurants closed, not more than one guest allowed in your house, most people work at home... but primary schools can open next week...

How are we only allowed one visitor in our house, but it's okay to be in one small class room with 30+ kids?
                  It's been our reality for the past 10 months here in France.
                  A complete nonsense! But school is too important in the life of younger kids.
                  I just wish the right measures would be imposed. I feel lucky cause I only have 20 pupils and my classroom is HUGE. No covid case since the world shifted.
                  But some ain't that lucky, with more kids and smaller classrooms. Let's hire teachers, let's split schedules and have half classes so social distancing is no longer an issue. Let's test every kid everytime there is a positive case in the class, let's invest in air purifiers...
                  The only major measure taken here is...open your windows for 10 minutes every hour and during lunch break. Wow nice. The scientific world is shaking.
                  Last edited by KEY9481; Wed February 3, 2021, 01:32.
                  5.05.2009 / 6.22.2011 / 4.24.2013 / 4.25.2013 / 3.1.2014 / 9.13.2014 / 7.21.2016 / 7.14.2018 / 7.15.2018

Comment

• Originally posted by theMathematician View Post
                    The educational minister of your federal state never said so.
                    I know you're on the sensitive side of things, but make the best of the situation, do frontal teaching and stay distant to the students!
                    It makes no sense to me to teach a foreign language and then not have the students engage in peer 2 peer conversation.

Handing out worksheets: I always go through the ranks and give every single student their worksheets personally. I also stand next to them and try to listen to them whenever they do group work in order to scold them whenever they speak German. Yes, I'm that kind of teacher. For my 10th graders I am willing to play Russian Roulette... with my life... but those primary school kids (I'm also teaching 2nd grade Maths #OMG) should stay at home. Bc they come up to me and try to hug me and come really close and tell me stories or sth... It's impossible. Also my classroom is like 45m² big and has up to 32 people in it... we are basically skin to skin anyway.

My Chart

Comment

• Originally posted by KEY9481 View Post

It's been our reality for the past 10 months here in France.
                      A complete nonsense! But school is too important in the life of younger kids.
                      I just wish the right measures would be imposed. I feel lucky cause I only have 20 pupils and my classroom is HUGE. No covid case since the world shifted.
                      But some ain't that lucky, with more kids and smaller classrooms. Let's hire teachers, let's split schedules and have half classes so social distancing is no longer an issue. Let's test every kid everytime there is a positive case in the class, let's invest in air purifiers...
                      The only major measure taken here is...open your windows for 10 minutes every hour and during lunch break. Wow nice. The scientific world is shaking.
                      But how do those kids behave during their big breaks. At my school... they are divided into cohorts... but when younger kids play... they do so without keeping up the distance towards one another and they also don't wear masks outside at my school. And when the bell rings again... everyone walks back into the building and it is then when all cohorts mingle. The only good thing about all of this in my state is, that my federal state only has a 7 days incidence value of 60/100,000 people... so... highly unlikely for anyone to have or get Covid. (and that number is shrinking by the hour now... we're probably falling below 50 in 2-3 days).
                      My Chart

Comment

• Originally posted by stevyy View Post

It makes no sense to me to teach a foreign language and then not have the students engage in peer 2 peer conversation.

Handing out worksheets: I always go through the ranks and give every single student their worksheets personally. I also stand next to them and try to listen to them whenever they do group work in order to scold them whenever they speak German. Yes, I'm that kind of teacher. For my 10th graders I am willing to play Russian Roulette... with my life... but those primary school kids (I'm also teaching 2nd grade Maths #OMG) should stay at home. Bc they come up to me and try to hug me and come really close and tell me stories or sth... It's impossible. Also my classroom is like 45m² big and has up to 32 people in it... we are basically skin to skin anyway.
                        Your students hug you? Is that normal? Genuine question
                        . I didn't think a teacher hugging children is a usual practice?
                        Zero tolerance for : bigotry, racism, wilful ignorance.
                        Pronouns: He / Him

Comment

• Well, for once: stevyy sounds like he's quite close to his students. He's highly dedicated to his students with a rather informal working environment in the classroom. That may backfire in this special situation, but I just want to add that no one expects stevyy to act like this; he's doing it at his own risk.
                          Regarding the hugging part: Primary school pupils can still get 'touchy' and some do want to hug or even sit on the teacher's lap. Some teachers don't seem to mind it; others tell their pupils not to do so.

Comment

But how do those kids behave during their big breaks. At my school... they are divided into cohorts... but when younger kids play... they do so without keeping up the distance towards one another and they also don't wear masks outside at my school. And when the bell rings again... everyone walks back into the building and it is then when all cohorts mingle. The only good thing about all of this in my state is, that my federal state only has a 7 days incidence value of 60/100,000 people... so... highly unlikely for anyone to have or get Covid. (and that number is shrinking by the hour now... we're probably falling below 50 in 2-3 days).
                            We are not allowed to mix groups. Each class has its break on its own. And the kids have to wear a mask outside. Even during lunch, each class has its own zone in the school restaurant.
                            5.05.2009 / 6.22.2011 / 4.24.2013 / 4.25.2013 / 3.1.2014 / 9.13.2014 / 7.21.2016 / 7.14.2018 / 7.15.2018

Comment

• Originally posted by InFamous View Post

Your students hug you? Is that normal? Genuine question
                              . I didn't think a teacher hugging children is a usual practice?
                              it's not me who is hugging them... they come up to me... and I gently shove them away and re-direct them. It looks quite comical.
                              My Chart

Comment

it's not me who is hugging them... they come up to me... and I gently shove them away and re-direct them. It looks quite comical.
                                Same here. The younger the kids are, the more they want to hug their teachers. I think it's okay on the last day before summer holidays, but on other days, I gently shove them away as well. A colleague of mine teaches 11 year olds and let them hug, but I think that's too close. Especially at that age. Some parents could make a fuss and it wouldn't look good for you when you can't say you kept your distance.
                                My Instagram... - Click here

Comment

• Schools start on Monday, but we probably won't hear untill Friday what all the new rules are.
                                  Some of the rules we heard about in the last few days:

- When one of the children gets tested positive, all the children (and teacher) of this class have to stay at home and have to be tested on the 5th day. If parents won't have their child tested, it has to stay at home for another five days.
                                  - When a child has symptoms, it has to stay at home.
                                  - No parents allowed in the school.
                                  - No mixing groups.
                                  - Keep your distance, 1,5 meters.

Comment

• What about masks at school: If yes, in which situations (school yard, classroom,...)?

Comment

• Mrs. Merkel admits to getting her hair and make up done by her personal assistant. According to her, it happens under sanitary conditions. Do you consider that fair compared to other citizens that do not have that right (article 3 basic law) and why is that assistant allowed to work and not other barbers and stylists (article 12 basic law)?

Comment

Mrs. Merkel admits to getting her hair and make up done by her personal assistant. According to her, it happens under sanitary conditions. Do you consider that fair compared to other citizens that do not have that right (article 3 basic law) and why is that assistant allowed to work and not other barbers and stylists (article 12 basic law)?
                                        Are you actually so delusional as to think that barbers, hairdressers and make up people are not doing private consultations in people houses lol

Comment

Mrs. Merkel admits to getting her hair and make up done by her personal assistant. According to her, it happens under sanitary conditions. Do you consider that fair compared to other citizens that do not have that right (article 3 basic law) and why is that assistant allowed to work and not other barbers and stylists (article 12 basic law)?
                                          She is the one to follow the rules as her lead should be the one to follow. If this happened with some high politician here, (s)he would be called out and rightfully so.

Comment

• Originally posted by InFamous View Post

Are you actually so delusional as to think that barbers, hairdressers and make up people are not doing private consultations in people houses lol
                                            Of course they do. But who can "correct" them when even Merkel doesn't follow the rules?

Comment

Of course they do. But who can "correct" them when even Merkel doesn't follow the rules?
                                              If it is just her personal assistant doing it it is not really the same thing. I mean, no one is stopping anyone from having their hair or make up done by a friend in reality. Its people gathering together in salons that is the obvious problem when it comes to spreading a virus and the same person potentially working on thirty different people every day. Logic.

Comment

• The personal assistant is not doing it as a hobby but professionally and that's not allowed in Germany at the moment. So yes, your friend doing your hair for free is legal in Germany, your barber doing it for money is illegal - yes, even with just the two people in the room.

Comment

• It's illegal here as well. Barbers are not allowed to go to someone's house to do their job.

Comment

The personal assistant is not doing it as a hobby but professionally and that's not allowed in Germany at the moment. So yes, your friend doing your hair for free is legal in Germany, your barber doing it for money is illegal - yes, even with just the two people in the room.
                                                    So her personal assistant is probably her friend and just doing it as a favour. Case closed.

I mean do you actually think that people in the public eye such as newscasters and people on TV are not having their hair and make up done by stylists every day ?

It's lucky for you that you cut your own hair ( according to yourself recently) so you dont have to worry about missing out on the barbers.
                                                    Last edited by InFamous; Fri February 5, 2021, 18:00.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X